User Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

Xanax has an average rating of 9.1 out of 10 from a total of 197 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 90% of those users who reviewed Xanax reported a positive effect, while 4% reported a negative effect.

Xanax Rating Summary

9.1/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax

Sam Mookhi · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2021

“36 year old male. Had anxiety and panic disorder 3 years earlier back in 2018. Was prescribed Zoloft 50mg and currently taking it same dosage. But still some days in a month are bad specially in evening times. I take Xanax 0.25 when needed usually 2-3 times in a month and in 30 Minutes back to normal. Xanax is best for treating instant fear of panic attacks. You can only understand a panic attacks if you are someone that has or had them. I recommend 0.25 xanax to anyone who have anxiety and panic disorder issues. This medicine really works”

Darling April 24, 2021

“Been on Xanax 4 years 1mg a day for intense panic attacks in the evening/night. Would wake up sweaty heart palpitating impending doom and vomiting nonstop. Also have CVS. Xanax worked great, also helped my TMJ. Never had to increase my dose in the 4 years I've been on it & never took more than the one pill a day I was prescribed. So tell me why now, all of the sudden my dr has taken me off of it?! After 3 days of not taking it I was twitching, vomiting, couldn't hold down water, TMJ pain, intense migraine and tinnitus. Called dr & told him I have a 5 year old child, cannot be bedridden all day! He called in a script but only 15 pills half my normal dose & said he couldn't give me anymore. His reasoning: "You've been on it too long and you shouldn't need it anymore." Xanax helps my panic attacks, TMJ, CVS, insomnia. Had given me my life back. No quality of life now. Guessing this is because of people who abuse them, they want to take people off who legit need it & don't abuse it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 21, 2021

“Xanax has literally saved my life. After going to the hospital for a panic attack and seizure due to an overwhelming feeling of fear and worry, my psychiatrist prescribed 2mg once daily WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Listen, many people say it is an addictive drug.....which it can be if taken incorrectly.....however, if you have to take medicine for a heart condition, what is really the difference? The only people that don’t understand are the ones who have never suffered through a panic attack or had a moment of extreme anxiety - It can be very debilitating. I am grateful for this medication.”

Jen February 6, 2019

“Do not be afraid to try this medicine!! The stigma of this drug caused me to avoid it for about 15 years. If I was prescribed it I flushed it down the toilet. I FINALLY took one when I was so desperate I didn’t have any other choice. I take 0.5 most days. People take all kinds of medication for all kinds of other diseases. Anxiety and depression are a disease just the same as anything else. It’s a shame that we are made to feel like we’re doing something wrong for using Xanax. It has helped me control my anxiety and depression for about 8 years now. Without it I honestly don’t know what would have happened to me by now. It stops the terrible cycle of impending doom. It has kept me from going in to major anxiety and depression so many times I can’t count. Mental problems are the hardest thing I’ve EVER dealt with in my life. I’m almost 45 and have been fighting this since be I was 18. Whoever you are I hope wholeheartedly that you find help and hold on.”

Elis · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2021

“Listen, I ONLY take it if I feel like my breathing exercise won't help and panic attack is coming. I avoid taking it as soon as I get rapid heart beats etc. This is my security blanket, I carry it everywhere with me . It works like a magic and I always pray for the people who created this drug :) 3 years no addiction. Use as needed ! And remember those panic attacks will come and go, they wont hurt us. Welcome them with a smile, that scares them.”

Grammyto5 · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2019

“I was first diagnosed with panic disorder and agoraphobia 40 years ago after seeing many doctors I finally found one that understood the brain's chemistry. My mother had it and never left the house due to severe agoraphobia, and both of my children developed panic disorder. I have been on Xanax .5 four times a day for 37 years and was told because of my brain chemistry that I will need to take it forever. No one would ever guess I take Xanax as it does not slow me down only make me able to function daily and travel for work. For those of us with panic disorder it is a lifesaver.”

Ada · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 9, 2019

“Xanax really helps me with my panic attacks. If normally a panic attack would last me around 3-4 hours, if I take this it will be gone in around 30 minutes and then feel extremely calm and peaceful. It really helps a lot and I don't think I'll ever stop taking it, because I just can't deal with my panic attacks on my own.”

Missy February 28, 2020

“I’m a young adult & I feel like all I experience in my life is anxiety & panic. I’ve tried a number of antidepressant and anxiety medications over the years that do indeed help, because without them I would never be able to leave my house. However, I still do get extremely anxious and have panic attacks. My new psychiatrist has actually been able to figure out my particular chemistry. She prescribed xanax for the panic attacks, which has helped tremendously. I only take 2mg when I’m having an attack. At most 15 minutes later, I feel twenty times better. My attacks can easily last hours so the xanax cuts that time greatly. Afterwards, I get sleepy and my concentration isn’t very good, but I’d much rather be calm & not be able to concentrate than to be panicking & feeling like I’m losing my mind & STILL not able to concentrate. I don’t see myself using it for years like some people have to because I do take Fetzima and Prozac daily, but for now it’s helping me so much!”

Bigboy · Taken for 10 years or more March 5, 2019

“I've taken Xanax for thirty years, and I had to only increase the dosage once! I would've lost my job if I didn't take it. In my opinion it's a miracle drug; thats why I've stayed with it all these years.!!!”

Trudy September 16, 2019

“I have been on Xanax for over 30 years - I have a panic disorder of some kind. It has changed my life and allowed me to function normally. Now my psychiatrist retired and I am seeing a young resident who wants me off it. I could have seizures and terrible withdrawal. And be back to not leaving the house.”

David August 23, 2019

“I have been taking Xanax for 7 years now. And I do not feel like myself anymore. Everything have become worse step by step since I started this! I can barely go out now! Xanax took my life away! My agoraphobia and panic attacks has increase over 1000 times! I'm so addicted to this medicine by now so if I miss one dose, I get crazy panic and feel I will DIE and get a stroke or heart attack! Have been close to call ambulance many times! I had one bad seizure a while ago. NOW I have decided to quit this "medicine" but at the hospital under the supervision of a Doctor! I can not quit myself! I have been taking 4 mg every day since 7 years! Please STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG! If you take if for years, it will be like selling your soul to the devil! Xanax is the devils candy! I would have torn my first prescription in 2 parts if I could travel back in time! Now I need 4 MG a day, at least just to survive! Only to keep my nose above the surface! Remember I WARNED YOU! I lost my girlfriend! Pray for me, please!”

Beardman8511 January 6, 2020

“This drug Xanax does exactly what it’s supposed to do for panic attacks. It’s honestly the only prescribed drug I’ve ever taken that really fulfils what it says it will do. I’ve been taking this medicine for close to 20 years sometimes not for long periods of time but very steadily for about the past 7. I gave it nine stars bc it is super effective but has a good deal of drawbacks. For one, it’s crazy addicting. I feel I’m definitely addicted to it and start having very serious withdrawals if I skip a few days. Personally, I feel like it’s the lesser of two bad options being that not having it my life is just constant anxiety and panic but it creates its own anxiety knowing that you need it. I currently take 2 mg a day and sometimes I break it up throughout the day. If your anxiety is truly severe and strongly affecting your life I would recommend taking it but if that’s not the case I would use some discretion before getting involved with a drug as strong as this.”

Blondie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 13, 2019

“I've been taking xanax 4mg daily for severe panic disorder and agoraphobia since 2014. This drug is a miracle, it gave me my life back. I'm able to work and enjoy my life again instead of being bed ridden. I experienced no side effects either. If not for xanax I would've been in an institution by now xanax saved my life.”

Autism Mom · Taken for 10 years or more September 16, 2019

“My child has been sick and disabled for 40 years. She has seizures and autism and is a wanderer. We have both been thru enough nightmares to write a series of books. I have panic and anxiety. Now because of silly adolescents and adults trying to get high I am unable to get Xanax - the only medication that has kept me sane for 30years. I only filled my prescription 3-4x a year. I never got high from taking it. I didn't know you could. I barely leave the house now and I have panic attacks while driving and this is new to me ...panic attacks wake me up. I can't even sleep on peace. I'm in AZ where pot is legal but Xanax is not. No one prescribes it anymore. The stupid Dr's here think panic attacks are not real and laugh at me. They see my child. She is always with me.”

Dawnie · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 12, 2018

“This is one of those medications that you try to avoid due to "bad press," That being said, it has saved my life. I went from being home bound agoraphobic to traveling outside my home, getting and maintaining a 12 hour job and this year going back to college to finish my nursing degree. This is what this medication was originally made for....to give those like us a chance at a normal life. So sad so many are deprived this miracle drug due to a few bad apples. No memory impairment thus far and I have been on this med for years. Not expensive. No bad side effects other than an occasional headache. Wonderful medication!”

Anonymous April 22, 2008

“Xanax saved me during my separation/divorce. We have one child and the realization that I would only see her on weekends destroyed me. I would have panic attacks and anxiety so bad I could not function in life. I lost weight, had nausea, could not sleep or eat and wanted to die. I was prescribed Xanax 0.25mg (the lowest dosage). I take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Xanax has saved my life, I feel normal, can work, focus, and enjoy the time I do have with my daughter. It works!!”

Tale of a life changed · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 9, 2020

“Ok.... I started using ecstasy or mdma in 1998 at 13 years old. Even before I smoked weed. I graduated to weed, GHB ,shrooms, Valium, Xanax, klonopin, LSD , ketamine, DMT, 2cb, nitrous. Heroin every other opiate too. But I had a close friend die at 30 years old, which made me stop, using opiates, which eventually got me on Xanax and adderall, and that’s it. I have worked in IT for the last 8 years, and Xanax saved my life”

Free Atlast · Taken for 10 years or more August 19, 2018

“Been on Xanax over 30 years. Began taking it for severe panic attacks which turned into agoraphobia after doctors said nothing was wrong and kept telling me just to relax. I had panic so bad I could not leave the house, answer the phone or doorbell, eat. When my blood pressure went so high I burst a blood vessel in my eye I finally met a doctor who was an expert in panic disorder. He started me on Xanax and all my symptoms resolved almost immediately. Blood pressure normal, could go out and shop, got a good job. Life was wonderful for 30 years. On .25 3 X per day. Never wanted or needed more. Now doctors want everyone off Xanax and I am being forced to quit. I am terrified. At least I had 30 great years”

Ken0808 May 14, 2015

“It's amazing how many symptoms come about because of anxiety: chest pain, chest squeezing, dizziness, light-headed feelings, feeling faint, sweating, nausea, heart palpitations. I could go on. Xanax is practically a miracle drug. It stops most of these symptoms cold after about 45 minutes of taking it. You feel better, and you look back at one hour ago, and you're bewildered that stress and anxiety caused you to feel so badly.”

GG · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2019

“Have had symptoms of panic attack and anxiety disorder over 50 years. Diagnosed 1980 by psychiatrist. Was able to lead a high-functioning life and hold down a 20-year high functioning career with the state. After this many years and all the reading that I have done and also my experience in working with psychiatric patients I understand what a benzodiazepine can do in my estimation it is The Most Dangerous Drug bar none to detox from. Because of the opiate epidemic it is being suggested to the medical community to also curtail use of benzodiazepines. If I came away with nothing from this post I hope to come away with the fact that doctors need to be educated as to the dangers removing patients from long-term benzodiazepine use without titrating”

eyakalot October 29, 2014

“I have a panic disorder and have been taking Xanax for over 20 yrs now. Never had to increase my dose and finally can live a normal life. The doctor had tried all different medications and this is the only one that worked.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 22, 2021

“My Dr prescribed 1.0 daily when I was 19 years old. I'm now 51 and still take it daily. My dosage varies depending on the day or situation. Never more than 2 pills in one day. Somedays I don't even take it. However, if I don't take it for a couple days, I get irritable. I spoke with my new Dr about it and he assured me I was fine taking it as needed and once or twice a day. Just not to abuse it. I usually take it when I know I'll be in a situation where my anxiety can be high. This medication has literally allowed me to live a regular life. After spending every other day in an ER for almost 2 years, it was a huge relief to finally find something that worked. Sometimes I've considered slowly weaning off of it, but when I weigh the circumstances and the effects on not having it , I decided to just continue taking it as prescribed. My Dr was 100% on board with it.”

Kay · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 1, 2019

“After our son committed suicide I developed PTSD and panic disorder. Xanax literally saved my life. No big deal stopping this drug, but others have severe problems. By God's grace I'm off of all drugs.”

Olaf1991 · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I was prescribed 0.5mg Xanax as needed for my PTSD, severe anxiety and panic attacks. I can say it works 100% . My panic attacks lasted about 45mins before it was prescribed and now they last about 5mins. I take about 1mg (2 doses of 0.5mg) when I feel it coming on. This drug saved my life! I am also on 150mg of Zoloft, and hydroxizine for the evening to keep my anxiety down and help me sleep. They say this drug is very very addictive but my Psychiatrist said it’s hard to get addicted if you use it correctly and only as needed. Make sure to not drink much with Xanax or it will make you sleep for a long time and super dangerous. I will be on this med for a very very long time.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2015

“Xanax is by far the best anti anxiety medication on the market. I take it as needed and it works within minutes. I can't stand doctors who talk bad about the medication and how addictive it can be. People will aduse anything and every thing. Xanax is amazing and I take it as needed, not like an addict would.”

Lisetta July 4, 2013

“I was 16 when I had my first panic attack! It was so scary I didn't know what was happening to me. It got to the point that I had anxiety every single minute of my day I became house bound for the next 2 yrs I would not step foot outside my house I felt like the world around me was a dream I now know this is called de-realization something that happens when anxiety is at it's worst, at its peek! My mother took me to her psychiatrist, that was the best day of my life I was prescribed 1 mg Xanax 3 x per day. I started to flourish, I starting living again and slowly getting back out into society. I am now 44 I have a loving husband, 2 kids and am still on Xanax but my dosage is much lower 0.5 micrograms in the morning or when necessary.”

Patient X · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2019

“Well I've been taking Xanax for more than 22 years now for panic disorder. I'm literally addicted to Xanax. Doctor told me my panic disorder would last 6 months only, but turned out it lasted for years. Doctor didn't inform me about the addictive nature of Xanax. Only in 2007 after much research I found out that all my mental disorders are caused by lack of nutrients. Started taking nutrients supplements. It worked but unfortunately I had to stick to Xanax for quite a while until I can find a way to quit it altogether. Though Xanax is useful in treating anxiety and panic disorder, unfortunately it is a terrible and addictive drug. I urge you all to take nutrients supplements and try tapering on Xanax. It will work. God bless.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2014

“Just got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax. Within a half hour the intrusive thoughts and panic attacks stopped. Taking sparingly, only when needed. Definitely a good thing to take at your worst moments, but not good for regular use.”

Learn more about Panic Disorder