User Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

Xanax Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax

"This med has saved my life"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2019

"My life has been saved because of this med. Been on it for fifteen years. I take one pill before bed and I wake up ready to take on the world."

Tani (taken for 10 years or more) April 15, 2019

"I've taken Xanax for thirty years, and I had to only increase the dosage once! I would've lost my job if I didn't take it. In my opinion it's a miracle drug; thats why I've stayed with it all these years.!!!"

Bigboy (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2019

"Very effective for panic and insomnia. I take it as needed."

tomnick (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2019

"Do not be afraid to try this medicine!! The stigma of this drug caused me to avoid it for about 15 years. If I was prescribed it I flushed it down the toilet. I FINALLY took one when I was so desperate I didn’t have any other choice. I take 0.5 most days. People take all kinds of medication for all kinds of other diseases. Anxiety and depression are a disease just the same as anything else. It’s a shame that we are made to feel like we’re doing something wrong for using Xanax. It has helped me control my anxiety and depression for about 8 years now. Without it I honestly don’t know what would have happened to me by now. It stops the terrible cycle of impending doom. It has kept me from going in to major anxiety and depression so many times I can’t count. Mental problems are the hardest thing I’ve EVER dealt with in my life. I’m almost 45 and have been fighting this since be I was 18. Whoever you are I hope wholeheartedly that you find help and hold on."

Jen February 6, 2019

"I was first diagnosed with panic disorder and agoraphobia 40 years ago after seeing many doctors I finally found one that understood the brain's chemistry. My mother had it and never left the house due to severe agoraphobia, and both of my children developed panic disorder. I have been on Xanax .5 four times a day for 37 years and was told because of my brain chemistry that I will need to take it forever. No one would ever guess I take Xanax as it does not slow me down only make me able to function daily and travel for work. For those of us with panic disorder it is a lifesaver."

Grammyto5 (taken for 10 years or more) February 4, 2019

"I've been taking xanax 4mg daily for severe panic disorder and agoraphobia since 2014. This drug is a miracle, it gave me my life back. I'm able to work and enjoy my life again instead of being bed ridden. I experienced no side effects either. If not for xanax I would've been in an institution by now xanax saved my life."

Blondie (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2019

"These new blue b707 bars 2mg scored 4 times are awesome. I didn't see any reviews on them and CVS switched my normal greenstone with these and I went ahead and tried it instead of waiting took a chance and these are actually stronger. I could not believe it. They're not those crappy green ones. New company. July 2018 came out.. Fresh and strong"

Drspook November 10, 2018

"For PTSD. I did not want to be on this because I know how it is abused. The doctor insisted and it was a nightmare for 6 months. Taking one at the verge of anxiety would help but it would wear off quickly. I got to the point I was popping it like candy to prevent a panic attack. Doing so made me very irritatable and dangerous. It was hard to taper off but glad I did. Works for some just not good at all for me."

Bozo-Skip (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2018

"Hi I have been on Xanax for 19 years I take 1mg five times a day with no problems they have been a great medication in my life I suffer with anxiety and bipolor type 2 and OCD and PTSD and major depression so life is not easy and have this med helps me get up the morning, shower, eat, dress get my kids off to school. But everyone is right this drug is very dangerous if you abuse it. and this drug is not for everyone."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2018

"I have been a sufferer of panic attack for 30 years. Finally I was given xanax it gave me back my life. I suffered badly with panic attacks. I also had muscle spasms before I took this medication.."

J September 11, 2018

"Been taking over 40 years I don't know how to not take them. I'm 61 and think I'm destined to take them forevere\"

T (taken for 10 years or more) September 8, 2018

"Been on Xanax over 30 years. Began taking it for severe panic attacks which turned into agoraphobia after doctors said nothing was wrong and kept telling me just to relax. I had panic so bad I could not leave the house, answer the phone or doorbell, eat. When my blood pressure went so high I burst a blood vessel in my eye I finally met a doctor who was an expert in panic disorder. He started me on Xanax and all my symptoms resolved almost immediately. Blood pressure normal, could go out and shop, got a good job. Life was wonderful for 30 years. On .25 3 X per day. Never wanted or needed more. Now doctors want everyone off Xanax and I am being forced to quit. I am terrified. At least I had 30 great years"

Free Atlast (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2018

"This is one of those medications that you try to avoid due to "bad press," That being said, it has saved my life. I went from being home bound agoraphobic to traveling outside my home, getting and maintaining a 12 hour job and this year going back to college to finish my nursing degree. This is what this medication was originally made for....to give those like us a chance at a normal life. So sad so many are deprived this miracle drug due to a few bad apples. No memory impairment thus far and I have been on this med for years. Not expensive. No bad side effects other than an occasional headache. Wonderful medication!"

Dawnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2018

"I am one of those scared of taking any medication related to psych . I had a stable job for 20 years before the onset of anxiety and panic disorder . I thought I will brave it . So read books , took yoga etc, but it only got worse. Before long it was affecting by performance at work. Finally getting into elevators became impossible. Then I became almost house bound . People even began to notice . That’s when I resolved to solve this problem once and for all. After several trials with my doctor I found xanax and it completely changed my life. I take 0.5 mg daily . All my symptoms are gone . Thank goodness for that medication."

Nick March 23, 2018

"This drug can be habit forming, so control your desire to dose and skip doses to 'up' yourself in terms of pills. Once you master the addictive side of this medicine, it can be a REAL benefit for anxiety disorders. It's given me control over my life again. I love this medication, but I respect it and am afraid of it at the same time. ONLY take it when you need it, do that and it will be an asset."

NJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

"I have been taking xanax for 30 years and could not have survived without it. I take half of .025 when needed, so not every day. Sometimes my anxiety flares up and I may have to take it a few days in a row. One time when my son was in the hospital due to a bad accident, I took it every day for 8 months straight to calm me. I have bad agoraphobia when it comes to large buildings and needed it to get into the huge hospital. When I stopped taking it after 8 months I had no symptoms at all...if you take a low dose you will have no problem with it and it will keep your anxiety down so you can live your life."

corrie88 (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2018

"Figured I'd come back with an update since my last post was in 2013. I am still on my Xanax after about 7 years, maybe more. It's still the ONLY drug that helps with my Panic Disorder w/agoraphobia, PTSD, GAD, OCD, and MDD. I've been prescribed 1 mg 3 x's a day, but have never taken that much. I take 1 mg in the morning and 0.5 mg around dinner and another 0.5 mg before bed. I'm just noticing now that I may need to start taking a little more occasionally. Like an extra 0.5 some days. I'm contributing this to the fact that I am in perimenopause now, and my hormones are crazy at times and increase my anxiety and panic attacks. Also finding it more difficult to leave the house again. But still... I'm not up to the recommended dosage, so I think I might just need to take a full mg 3 x's a day now."

Fox7 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2018

"I've been taking Xanax for about 3 years now. I started having symptoms early on, like in my teens. I could never find anything that make me feel like "me" before the panic attacks. Once my doctor prescribed be xanax my life changed for the better. I take 1mg once a day, 2x if I'm having a rough day. They just passed a law in NV where if a doctor is caught 3 times "abusing" this new law about narcotic prescribed drugs they could lose their license. I hope this didn't effect people like myself who used this to alive. I'm not back to 100% but I'll take 85 - 90% any day. Don't judge xanax by the headlines."

Itsme702 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2018

"I’ve been on Xanax for several years and it works wonders for my anxiety and panic attacks. I only take it as prescribed and try not to take it or taper down 1 day a week. When I take half of a bar I feel clear headed and normal. Any more than that I become sedated, so that’s why I regulate it so carefully. The only downside is the withdrawals are almost unbearable. When I go a couple days off it I feel extra anxious, nervous, mildly depressed, and at times it feels like my mind is messing with me. Overall a great short term medication for panic or anxiety but if you choose to take it long-term, please be careful and take exactly what you’re prescribed, and if possible, less."

Fitdy fi (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2017

"I can’t find fault with Xanax for control of panic attacks. It’s the best there is. However, I took it for a long period of time, over a year, and found that I needed an ever increasing dose, probably due to tolerance. The withdrawals were ungodly wicked! I was put on low-dose Klonopin, which warded off the worst withdrawals. I went from 6 mg of Xanax to 0.5 mg of Klonopin, and managed to stabilize there within a day. I’d not suggest Xanax to anyone with an ongoing problem with panic. Valium or Klonopin are far safer, in my experience."

Anonymous December 27, 2017

"On .5 mg as needed up to 3x per day for 28 years now for extreme panic disorder/agoraphobia. I could not leave my home at all until I finally connected with a doctor whom specialized in panic attacks, who came to my house and prescribed Nardil and Xanax. I had gone untreated for 15 years prior to that, which is how a panic attack disorder eventually led to agoraphobia and my complete isolation. I do not have a problem with addiction, as I’m careful with my meds. However, I’m treated by the VA, and they have now decided to remove the meds that have worked for me for 28 years. I’ve warned that I will no longer be able to leave my house again, but they seem to have an agenda that does not involve feedback from me..."

DW555 (taken for 10 years or more) December 16, 2017

"So many other reviews on here but this drug is important. I will chime in as well since it has been prescribed a little different for me. I used to wake up in a panic a couple of times a week, but it's pretty easy for me to gauge my stress level and predict which nights are going to be bad ones. I take 0.25 or 0.5 mg 1 or 2 nights a week, before 2 am or I'll be so zonked I don't respond to my alarm. It does the trick so I can fall right back to sleep after waking, instead of panicking and then ruminating for 5-6 hours, and being a mess at work and with my kids the next day. It works so well & I can easily see how it would be addictive, but it's a life-changer so I am very careful."

Anvil (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2017

"This is the best to knock a panic attack flat on its arse. I been taking 0.5mg daily for 6 months and I also take them when I fly. I could literally walk on the wing and not care. Don't take with alcohol though..I made the mistake of popping one of these then drank 4 or 5 martinis. I made a fool of myself and swung from a coworkers chandelier at a party and pulled it out of the ceiling. Everyone was cheering me on so I felt like a bru. The more I drank the stupider I became. At the end of the night I climbed a street pole and tried to punch out the light telling people it was a UFO. They work well, but do not drink on them"

Nicky Glasses November 25, 2017

"Life saver for me. BUT only because I take it when I truly need it. I suffer from day to day anxiety but I do not take it for that. I try to get rid of anxiety other natural ways. But I do suffer from severe panic attacks, especially night time. So I only take it when I am having an attack. I am on the lowest dose possible ( .25 ) and I can get away with taking even just half of that sometimes. It takes the edge off very fast and I feel so much better shortly after. Take it on average 1-2 times a month, sometime less, rarely more. Extremely addictive med so I urge you to stay away from it for daily use or if you have an addictive personality."

Joy8618 October 12, 2017