User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

"Just wanted to give my experience with Xanax so far. I started having genuine anxiety attacks and all-day anxiety episodes about two months ago. But there were definitely signs of a building anxiety disorder before that. As opposed to normal anxiety, which we should all try to cope with as best as possible without unnecessary drugs. But these attacks had become all-day, distracting, genuinely life-disrupting experiences, tense muscles, constant intrusive thoughts, inability to concentrate on other things, etc. At that point, there's something wrong, and it needs to be diagnosed. Xanax works like a tourniquet for your mind - and sometimes you just need that. It won't cure the underlying issues, but it'll give your mind space to recuperate."

Darren Ronard June 30, 2016

"I started having panic attacks about 13 years ago. The Dr. gave me a few different drugs to try - all either had horrible side effects including nightmares - or did nothing. Then we tried Xanax - it was a miracle for me! one .5mg Xanax and I can function again. When I was promoted at work to a position where I would have to speak in front of a crowd I was terrified, but taking one of these has changed my life!!"

Sweaty lady (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2016

"It's so great to have something that finally works for me! It's fast acting and takes away my insane thoughts and brings me back to reality quickly .. My worries go away and i can feel like a normal person. I've been on ativan, clonazapam... And paxil and effexor in my younger days... The ativan did nothing .. The clonazapam was OK but is much better for sleep. The paxil and effexor were nightmares and had horrible side effects . I would never take that kind of medication again. I take 1-2 mg xanax when I get an attack or intrusive thoughts and it's the best thing for me ! I become a rational thinking person again.. And couldnt be happier to have something that really works. It's really improved my life."

Ninny13 March 28, 2016

"I had horrible anxiety from 14 to 21 then i got prescribed xanax .25 and my life changed i was going out with friends didnt care about little things like what people think of you it was great then at 23 i decided im good i dont need it anymore and had 4 months of hell getting off im mow 29 and ive delt with the anxiety everyday and it got easier but was still a small burdan couldnt be me something was missing i just got back on it a few weeks ago and now ive worked harder then ever i was promoted to asistant manager within 2 weeks of starting back xanax everyone told me how they noticed my confidence in everything and i take control of stressful situations as i work in the food business suddenly im the go to guy at work i work 50hours aweek"

aaronax March 10, 2016

"Having had anxiety since I was a teenager, I'd been taking no drugs at all and just living with it until I was given valium by my primary doctor and that helped. I had seen a CSW, a psychologist and finally another psychologist who took me off the valium I'd tried and suggested xanax and paxil. I've been taking the two drugs : 10 mg. paxil 1x a day and .025 xanax up to 3x a day for 8 months or so, with much success. Can these meds be taken indefinitely.?"

Nussie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia in 2000 a little after a car accident. I went back to work and worked fast and hard as usual and the dystonia got worse. Shortly after, I developed panic attacks. Dr. prescribed generic xanax and it really helped. I don't remember how much it was- 2005. The xanax not only took the panic attacks away but my neck pulling would go away for a long time. Since 2013 dystonia came back w/vengance. No one has prescribed xanax and keeps prescribing crappy medications-Baclofen, flexiril and now Atarax. I'm scared to take the Atarax. I know xanax works and I only used it maybe 4 times a month. No habit forming for me. Kids ruined it for folks that need it :("

Raquelsc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

"I have been taking Xanax for about one month now, and my life has drastically changed. I get really bad hot flashes and when I started taking this I noticed immediate results. One huge tip I have is to eat really healthy, and also on days where you have time take xanax and go workout hard. Run on the treadmill, lift weights, or swim. With all these things incorporated into my life I am much happier, have my social life back and I am able to show my natural talents without the fear of doom."

Lovelyso January 4, 2016

"If I could give Xanax more stars, I would. I have Panic Disorder and during college, panic disorder with mild Agoraphobia. After being prescribed Xanax, whenever I felt the onset of a panic attack emerging, this medication would save me from spiraling into a cycle of uncontrolled panic.My agoraphobia is gone. I would only recommend taking it as needed. I couldn't be happier with my results and I can live a normal life knowing I have my 'security blanket' if I need it."

panicbegone (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2016

"Powerful and fast relief from Panic Attacks. I've had to carefully balance benzodiazepines because the higher the dose, the more likely I'll suffer withdrawal related rebound effects. Right now I'm at .5 mg x 3 as needed. I've been as high as 6mg. Less is more. Still, I've not found anything as effective as an alternative. Xanax just works, and fast."

Inzomnia (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 16, 2015

"I have been diagnosed with Panic Disorder, Hypochondria (Illness anxiety Disorder), an Eating Disorder, and Depression. All of the others stemmed mostly from the Panic Disorder. I was suffering so much that I could not function and became extremely agoraphobic to where I did not want to leave my room. I was scared to take medicine but it got to the point one day where I couldn't take it anymore and decided to give the Xanax my doctor gave me a try. It helped so much and I was finally able to calm down enough to think clearly. I got on Zoloft and continued taking Xanax until my anxiety and depression was manageable. Now I only need it every once in a while when the anxiety and obsessive thoughts get bad. Definitely helped me get on my feet."

bittybob141 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

"I don't know how to explain the turmoil and suffering that I went through in the mid nineties even after a perfect childhood at 17 years old. I found myself 79 pounds in the hospital because I could not eat I could not sleep and I could not function, however misdiagnosed as an eating disorder and depression it took me quite a few times to even go to a doctor that noticed I may be a bit nervous. I bet that was an understatement. Because I keep getting slack about the medication I have tried kalanapin which brought me out like a teenager and did not work for me. I have tried valium which was way too strong for me. I have been on this medication for over 15 years and have never had to up my dosage not once and it still works. "

Amy Love (taken for 10 years or more) November 10, 2015

"I take "Xanax" prescribed by my Doctor. Not everyday though. Sometimes. For helping me sleep when my thoughts are going crazy and my imagination is wild. It does help for sleep. Addictive if you take it everyday."

Manhattangirl November 10, 2015

"I was put on Xanax twenty years ago to treat anxiety/panic. I took a small dose four times a day. After three years it lost its effectiveness and I chose to go off it. Weaning became the single worst experience of my life full of awful experiences. I was put on Paxil to treat the absolutely disabling panic/anxiety and depression I fell into."

DWT62 October 24, 2015

"I've been taking this medication for a long time. 10 yrs..!! I wasn't warned about the memory problems, or any way of becoming addicted. I can happily say, it has helped me, I even went into agoraphobia stage. Also, from my own personal experience. Be very careful in taking this medication. I actually saw, for myself, how bad the memory problems can be. When I experienced that. I went to my Dr an said, I wanted ween myself off, but slowly, not stupid either. I've have been addicted to this medication, but u have to realize, our brain, our mind, is powerful than we give it credit for. I was using 0.5mg 6-8 times a day. I'm now, down to 3 & a half times per day, I'm getting better again"

Nickels1973 September 27, 2015

"When I'm at my worst or I literally have so many racing thoughts or I get to agitated I take a half or 1mg, smoke tobacco and I'm fine, it's amazing I have not found this drug addictive, I only need it when I'm thinking or on a anxiety attack. Going to a psychiatrist and am hopefully going to be prescribed it, it has blessed me and made me think clear thoughts without over thinking. Best suited if your diagnosed with adhd, anxiety, panic attacks."

good for anxiety/panic attacks (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"Xanax is all too popular for its strong calming effects with rapid onset. I do not recommend this as a daily medication at all. I in fact advise to use Xanax as least as possible. It is one of the hardest drug to kick. Abrupt discontinuation call either kill you or make you loose your mind and body. Used sparingly (for flights, funerals etc) it is mostly helpful but in a way a succubus of a drug. It'll lure you to think it's safe, fun and calming; but it will sooner or later create retrograde anxiety in between doses. A half-life of 6 hours is just asking for it..."

Alexander-X (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2015

"Since 911 I have developed an intense fear of flying. I stopped flying for 7 yrs altogether. In 2010 I had a strong desire to start traveling again so I asked my doctor if there was something he could prescribe me so I could sleep and not feel anxious on flights and he prescribed Xanax. My fear is so intense is that I have to take 3-4 mg of Xanaz on a three hour flight in order not to be anxious, but it works perfectly. I'm able to be on the plane and I sleep for a good portion of the flight with no anxiety. I do have some memory lasts I often do not remember leaving the airport or much what I do for a few hours afterward but I am able to sleep it off."

KristaC July 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed with " Bilateral Sensorneural Conductive Hearing Loss" severe nerve damage from the ear to the brain. It caused me SEVERE Panic Disorder w/Agoraphobia and Major Depressive Disorder. My brain is sending me mixed signals. We are still working on finding out why, or if, this nerve causes these disorders they started at the same time I started getting these blarring fog horn sounds in my ears 24/7. I took my 0.5 mg xanax about 10 days ago and OMG..for the 1st time in 3 yrs I slept, had no attacks which I had up to 6x a day, no depression, little to no mixed brain signals, no suicidal thoughts, I'm starting to get functional, no crazy thoughts, I even went out of the house and socialized again ! :) I still need to be diagnosed though."

ontherox (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

"I've had vertigo for three years now due to a head injury. This cause inner ear damage and I have chronic dizzy spells. I have tried every medication out there and was introduce to Xanax at a Urgent Care Clinic. BINGO! Finally, I found something that works. It also the only medication that helps me sleep. I don't know what I'd do without it. Addicting but at least I can make it better with Xanax."

Jebster July 16, 2015

"Xanax is by far the best anti anxiety medication on the market. I take it as needed and it works within minutes. I can't stand doctors who talk bad about the medication and how addictive it can be. People will aduse anything and every thing. Xanax is amazing and I take it as needed, not like an addict would."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 15, 2015

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking xanax when I was fifteen. I only take them when I have an anxiety attack and they are the only thing that helps. I am now 23 and still only take them as needed. They work within a short amount of time & soothe all symptoms even my muscle spasms."

cecesue (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 2, 2015

"I hear a lot of people saying the same thing about this being sort of like a miracle drug that is what my psychiatrist and dr call to. It is quite amazing how you can be going through a full blown panic anxiety attack and just not too long after taking xanax. It's like night and day. It's definitely good to have one of these on hand if you suffer from anxiety or panic disorder. Sometimes just knowing I have it and helps me. anyway 10 out of 10 very addictive but definitely works. As long as you're not popping them every couple hours I think most people on here will find that it works great.."

sactown916712 May 26, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It's amazing how many symptoms come about because of anxiety: chest pain, chest squeezing, dizziness, light-headed feelings, feeling faint, sweating, nausea, heart palpitations. I could go on. Xanax is practically a miracle drug. It stops most of these symptoms cold after about 45 minutes of taking it. You feel better, and you look back at one hour ago, and you're bewildered that stress and anxiety caused you to feel so badly."

Ken0808 May 14, 2015

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication is a real life saver for aviaphobics/clausterphobics with panic disorder. I find .25 mgs prior to boarding an then an additional .25-.50 as needed stops an attack in its tracks. This medication (coupled with relaxing music on my iPod )has given me the ability to conquer the anticipatory anxiety and the panic itself. I cannot recommend this medication enough for true panic disorder/panic attacks."

mzjs40 May 12, 2015

"Suffered from post traumatic stress disorder for over 17 years. This was the best thing to keep me from having anxiety, triggering a panic attack. Other meds made it worse. Especially if you take an antidepressant like Lexapro. Lexapro alone will not work. Together with the Xanax and Lexapro is the best combination for PTSD!"

pnuttdean (taken for 10 years or more) April 21, 2015