User Reviews for Xanax

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

"I've been taking Xanax for about 3 years now. I started having symptoms early on, like in my teens. I could never find anything that make me feel like "me" before the panic attacks. Once my doctor prescribed be xanax my life changed for the better. I take 1mg once a day, 2x if I'm having a rough day. They just passed a law in NV where if a doctor is caught 3 times "abusing" this new law about narcotic prescribed drugs they could lose their license. I hope this didn't effect people like myself who used this to alive. I'm not back to 100% but I'll take 85 - 90% any day. Don't judge xanax by the headlines."

Itsme702 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2018

"I’ve been on Xanax for several years and it works wonders for my anxiety and panic attacks. I only take it as prescribed and try not to take it or taper down 1 day a week. When I take half of a bar I feel clear headed and normal. Any more than that I become sedated, so that’s why I regulate it so carefully. The only downside is the withdrawals are almost unbearable. When I go a couple days off it I feel extra anxious, nervous, mildly depressed, and at times it feels like my mind is messing with me. Overall a great short term medication for panic or anxiety but if you choose to take it long-term, please be careful and take exactly what you’re prescribed, and if possible, less."

Fitdy fi (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2017

"I can’t find fault with Xanax for control of panic attacks. It’s the best there is. However, I took it for a long period of time, over a year, and found that I needed an ever increasing dose, probably due to tolerance. The withdrawals were ungodly wicked! I was put on low-dose Klonopin, which warded off the worst withdrawals. I went from 6 mg of Xanax to 0.5 mg of Klonopin, and managed to stabilize there within a day. I’d not suggest Xanax to anyone with an ongoing problem with panic. Valium or Klonopin are far safer, in my experience."

MajorMojo December 27, 2017

"On .5 mg as needed up to 3x per day for 28 years now for extreme panic disorder/agoraphobia. I could not leave my home at all until I finally connected with a doctor whom specialized in panic attacks, who came to my house and prescribed Nardil and Xanax. I had gone untreated for 15 years prior to that, which is how a panic attack disorder eventually led to agoraphobia and my complete isolation. I do not have a problem with addiction, as I’m careful with my meds. However, I’m treated by the VA, and they have now decided to remove the meds that have worked for me for 28 years. I’ve warned that I will no longer be able to leave my house again, but they seem to have an agenda that does not involve feedback from me..."

DW555 (taken for 10 years or more) December 16, 2017

"So many other reviews on here but this drug is important. I will chime in as well since it has been prescribed a little different for me. I used to wake up in a panic a couple of times a week, but it's pretty easy for me to gauge my stress level and predict which nights are going to be bad ones. I take 0.25 or 0.5 mg 1 or 2 nights a week, before 2 am or I'll be so zonked I don't respond to my alarm. It does the trick so I can fall right back to sleep after waking, instead of panicking and then ruminating for 5-6 hours, and being a mess at work and with my kids the next day. It works so well & I can easily see how it would be addictive, but it's a life-changer so I am very careful."

Anvil (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2017

"This is the best to knock a panic attack flat on its arse. I been taking 0.5mg daily for 6 months and I also take them when I fly. I could literally walk on the wing and not care. Don't take with alcohol though..I made the mistake of popping one of these then drank 4 or 5 martinis. I made a fool of myself and swung from a coworkers chandelier at a party and pulled it out of the ceiling. Everyone was cheering me on so I felt like a bru. The more I drank the stupider I became. At the end of the night I climbed a street pole and tried to punch out the light telling people it was a UFO. They work well, but do not drink on them"

Nicky Glasses November 25, 2017

"Life saver for me. BUT only because I take it when I truly need it. I suffer from day to day anxiety but I do not take it for that. I try to get rid of anxiety other natural ways. But I do suffer from severe panic attacks, especially night time. So I only take it when I am having an attack. I am on the lowest dose possible ( .25 ) and I can get away with taking even just half of that sometimes. It takes the edge off very fast and I feel so much better shortly after. Take it on average 1-2 times a month, sometime less, rarely more. Extremely addictive med so I urge you to stay away from it for daily use or if you have an addictive personality."

Joy8618 October 12, 2017

"I have been on Xanax for 15 years I'm only 30 years old. While this is a miracle drug for pulling you out of a panic attack and preventing them. This medicine works extremely well for my anxiety that said it can cause a very nasty dependence and addiction where you will need larger and larger doses to combat this rebound anxiety (this is what the Dr call it). It's your brain screaming for more of the drug, this is not only a mental dependency but also a very strong physical one. If you are thinking about taking Xanax remember less is more the less you take the better it works. It has become part of my daily meds 2 mg 3 to 4 times a day and that's coming from being on the max dose legally available 10 mg daily you don't want that. Use Caution"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2017

"I was on Xanax for a couple of years for severe panic attacks. I started out on .25 mg and soon that was not enough. I had to keep increasing the dose as my panic and anxiety increased. I ended up becoming agoraphobic. I could not leave my house without taking a handful of Xanax first. In the end, I was taking way , way, way too much enough to kill an elephant. I know it sounds hard to believe. It's amazing I am still alive. I had to beg my insurance company to put me in the hospital to detox. I tried to kill myself. I almost died while in the hospital. They took me down to 8 mg a day and I had a grand mal seizure and almost died. It was the most horrible experience of my life. Be careful. It's highly addicting."

Stargirlxo August 12, 2017

"Panic disorder is no fun. You feel like you have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, and that you are coming to an end! Xanax has helped me against this terrible nervousness, demonic, feeling. I only take it when I truly need it. I take the lowest dose possible 0.25. The thing about this drug is that it makes you feel so relaxed. So people keep taking it, to keep feeling good and that's when it backfires. Please only take it as needed. Don't take it if your not feeling panic at the moment. You have to respect this drug. And taking it when u don't feel panic is not the way to go. Trust me! Prayer and a lil help from xanax can make all the difference in the world!!"

Mannyvic (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017

"I was on 8mg of xanax a day yes 8mg that's 4 bars a day for agoraphobia and several other reasons but be careful with this med though it's a life saver I was pulled off cold turkey and almost took my own life and no ER would not help me at all and I went to 4 different ones and drs are acting like your asking for OxyContin these days if you ask for nerve meds so my dr finally took me back and all is well again but if you can avoid it don't get on this med because if you do you are at the mercy of the system because your now on it for life. worst mental mindwithdrawals of my life"

Anonymous July 29, 2017

"About a year ago I was diagnosed with severe anxiety with panic attacks. Anxiety runs in my family so for me it was not a huge shock for me to have anxiety. I have tried about three different medications that just made me feel awful. I did not feel like myself and I was always sleepy. Once I got put on Xanax with another type of anxiety medication it helped subside my panic attacks. Anytime I would have a panic attack I would take a Xanax and it would help me be able to fell like myself again. I do not take Xanax every day just because I do not have panic attacks everyday and because it is highly addicted. For me this medication worked."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2017

"It really calms me down"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

"Xanax literally saved my life. A year ago I was having probably 4 panic attacks a day. I couldn't go anywhere without freaking out and thinking I was going to die. I was so scared because it didn't feel like a typical panic attack, like I was falling or something. I got xanax .25 and I was able to completely diminish my attacks. No therapists or anything else worked for me like xanax has. I personally didn't find it addictive because I was in such a terrible state. I don't take it very often now, but I don't know where I would be without it"

Lovelife4689 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2017

"I have been on xanax for 15yrs. The past 9yrs I've been on them solid (haven't missed a day) I just turned 40yrs old, and I'm in the worst position in my life than I've ever been! Long story short, I I have severe anxiety & panic attack disorder. My 1st panic attack was at 19. Lets just say I've tried my fair share of narcotics. I'm 10yrs clean off of Heroin. But the xanax is a monster of its own. I've had 2 grand mal seizures trying to get off them. They can kill you! I just take 3mg a day so I don't get sick& anxiety. My step-son passed away at 19 from taking too many xanax. It's not a sleeping pill, it's not for people that are stressed out. They don't discriminate, my 87yr old grandma was addicted to them too. All I'm saying is do your research 1st"

Should of thought twice June 12, 2017

"One day, out of the blue, I felt lightheaded ; I was nauseous, my legs were tingling and a horrible fear over took me. I had every physical test taken. All were negative. Finally, totally desperate and afraid I'd have another attack, I went to 2 psychiatrists. Both diagnosed Panic Disorder. (Found out it runs in my family. ) Was put on amitriptyline, Prozac, Busbar, Paxil. I stuck each one out for 6 weeks. The nausea was horrible and the anxiety debilitating. Finally I met a psychiatrist who put me on Zanax ( .5 mg 4 to 5 times a day and 25 mg of Zoloft. My life improved immediately. He said he hoped the Zoloft would end the panic attacks but it took a combination of both meds. I take .5 Xanax 3 times a day. I'm alive again!"

Ponyguy99 June 1, 2017

"Took xanax for a month for anxiety and panic attacks. I took it 3 times a day (the lowest dosage) 0.25 mg in the morning, 0.25 mg in the afternoon, and 0.50 mg in the evening. First week seemed fine with little to no changes, but after that was torture. Horrible insomnia, nausea, and panic attacks got WAY worse. My psychiatrist added Adderall to the mix because of my ADHD. This is when the nightmare really started. I couldn't sleep for 4 days straight-- I had to miss work, I was threatening suicide in front of my family-- I was LOSING it. Couldn't keep anything down. The best way to describe it was like a bad trip that you were certain was never going to end. I tapered off of it, and felt normal again after 2 weeks. Please use caution"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

"I was having many issues with anxiety attacks, panic attack. First started on 1mg 3 times daily.Then was having night terrors too.So I ended up on 2mg ,4 times daily and 2-3 pills of 2mg ativan at night .I got say not many doctors would give you that I would not ask!! I had an on job accident 3yrs prior to this and was on Oxycontin 60mg twice daily and 30 mg oxycode 6 times daily. Sounds like quite mix I know. But with proper monitoring it was a godsend. Pharmacist was not impressed but that's not his problem, his is to count and fill. If they wanted to be a Dr then that's their issue Moral is don't judge yourself by how a pharmacy makes you feel. Now I'm just on the 2mg of xanax and 1 mg of ativan and am normal thanks to a brave understanding Dr"

Steamroller4u2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 28, 2017

"After switching my medications three times, Xanax by far have made the most difference. Definitely works!"

Hannah Frederick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

"This medication is a miracle if you have extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I've been on it close to 10 years and have never changed my dose. If you don't overuse it and only take it when you can't take the anxiety anymore then you should be fine. Within about a half hour I'm feeling much better and my anxiety is at bay."

Brian8511 February 19, 2017

"In a case of emergency, I would take Xanax during the day. But, I usually take it at night to go to bed and to stop the anxiety and panic attacks. It makes me feel so sleepy, I don't know how anyone can take it during the day. I felt high as a kite. It works, that's for sure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

"Xanax has been a life saver for me. I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and depression since I was a teenager. I learned through lots of therapy that my issues are environmental and chemical. There are times when meditating and positive affirmations do not work during my attacks. This is when I take my Xanax so I can function like a normal human being. I do not abuse my Xanax and have been on the same dose (0.5mg) for the last 10 years. There was a time that I was having multiple panic attacks daily for months. Xanax helped me stay sane until my psychiatric found the right SSRI for me. I think that this drug is great as long as you have a good doctor and use the appropriate amount."

DogMom123 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2017

"I have been on a fairly high dose of this medication for over 6 years now. I can not tell you enough that it is an extremly horrible idea for long term use 2 times daily or more or even less any long term use of this drug to me is almost a death sentence for that person it is probably the most difficult thing to stay off of if used for more then a month or 2 straight. Im trying to get off them now myself but I am so very deep in a hole its almost hard to see the end. Once you stop say goodbye to sleep for a while and feeling like complete psychosis for the next few weeks or months till your brain comes back from the hole you dug for it. If I could go back and never take a benzo I would in a heart beat ssris and ssnris never worked for me."

Mrwrong (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 26, 2016

"I took prozac for 12 years, and it became more less useful to me as I became more tolerant. However I cannot live without it due to my condition of extreme severe anxiety and panic. I grew up with this disorder and as an adult I can't control it at points. I have never had an addictive nature. And I do not take it on a daily regimen. I refuse to be addicted or forever bound to a drug. So I use other methods of meditation and zen relaxation techniques even sleeping all I need to when I can on days I can. However, I have high stress days, that even prozac doesn't help these nature elements and body chemicals that I had to look for an alternative. I started using Xanax. Due to its addictive nature, I broke them in 4, taking in smaller doses"

Now body (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2016

"I take 0.5 mg xanax as needed, which I have been on for a few months. I suffer PTSD panic attacks and xanax is the only thing that helps. I don't always need it and can go weeks without needing to take one."

What works for me December 13, 2016