User Reviews for Xanax

Learn more about Xanax.

Xanax Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Xanax to treat Panic Disorder

"I have been on xanax for 15yrs. The past 9yrs I've been on them solid (haven't missed a day) I just turned 40yrs old, and I'm in the worst position in my life than I've ever been! Long story short, I I have severe anxiety & panic attack disorder. My 1st panic attack was at 19. Lets just say I've tried my fair share of narcotics. I'm 10yrs clean off of Heroin. But the xanax is a monster of its own. I've had 2 grand mal seizures trying to get off them. They can kill you! I just take 3mg a day so I don't get sick& anxiety. My step-son passed away at 19 from taking too many xanax. It's not a sleeping pill, it's not for people that are stressed out. They don't discriminate, my 87yr old grandma was addicted to them too. All I'm saying is do your research 1st"

Should of thought twice June 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"One day, out of the blue, I felt lightheaded ; I was nauseous, my legs were tingling and a horrible fear over took me. I had every physical test taken. All were negative. Finally, totally desperate and afraid I'd have another attack, I went to 2 psychiatrists. Both diagnosed Panic Disorder. (Found out it runs in my family. ) Was put on amitriptyline, Prozac, Busbar, Paxil. I stuck each one out for 6 weeks. The nausea was horrible and the anxiety debilitating. Finally I met a psychiatrist who put me on Zanax ( .5 mg 4 to 5 times a day and 25 mg of Zoloft. My life improved immediately. He said he hoped the Zoloft would end the panic attacks but it took a combination of both meds. I take .5 Xanax 3 times a day. I'm alive again!"

Ponyguy99 June 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took xanax for a month for anxiety and panic attacks. I took it 3 times a day (the lowest dosage) 0.25 mg in the morning, 0.25 mg in the afternoon, and 0.50 mg in the evening. First week seemed fine with little to no changes, but after that was torture. Horrible insomnia, nausea, and panic attacks got WAY worse. My psychiatrist added Adderall to the mix because of my ADHD. This is when the nightmare really started. I couldn't sleep for 4 days straight-- I had to miss work, I was threatening suicide in front of my family-- I was LOSING it. Couldn't keep anything down. The best way to describe it was like a bad trip that you were certain was never going to end. I tapered off of it, and felt normal again after 2 weeks. Please use caution"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was having many issues with anxiety attacks, panic attack. First started on 1mg 3 times daily.Then was having night terrors too.So I ended up on 2mg ,4 times daily and 2-3 pills of 2mg ativan at night .I got say not many doctors would give you that I would not ask!! I had an on job accident 3yrs prior to this and was on Oxycontin 60mg twice daily and 30 mg oxycode 6 times daily. Sounds like quite mix I know. But with proper monitoring it was a godsend. Pharmacist was not impressed but that's not his problem, his is to count and fill. If they wanted to be a Dr then that's their issue Moral is don't judge yourself by how a pharmacy makes you feel. Now I'm just on the 2mg of xanax and 1 mg of ativan and am normal thanks to a brave understanding Dr"

Steamroller4u2 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After switching my medications three times, Xanax by far have made the most difference. Definitely works!"

Hannah Frederick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is a miracle if you have extreme anxiety and panic attacks. I've been on it close to 10 years and have never changed my dose. If you don't overuse it and only take it when you can't take the anxiety anymore then you should be fine. Within about a half hour I'm feeling much better and my anxiety is at bay."

Brian8511 February 19, 2017

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In a case of emergency, I would take Xanax during the day. But, I usually take it at night to go to bed and to stop the anxiety and panic attacks. It makes me feel so sleepy, I don't know how anyone can take it during the day. I felt high as a kite. It works, that's for sure."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Xanax has been a life saver for me. I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and depression since I was a teenager. I learned through lots of therapy that my issues are environmental and chemical. There are times when meditating and positive affirmations do not work during my attacks. This is when I take my Xanax so I can function like a normal human being. I do not abuse my Xanax and have been on the same dose (0.5mg) for the last 10 years. There was a time that I was having multiple panic attacks daily for months. Xanax helped me stay sane until my psychiatric found the right SSRI for me. I think that this drug is great as long as you have a good doctor and use the appropriate amount."

DogMom123 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2017

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on a fairly high dose of this medication for over 6 years now. I can not tell you enough that it is an extremly horrible idea for long term use 2 times daily or more or even less any long term use of this drug to me is almost a death sentence for that person it is probably the most difficult thing to stay off of if used for more then a month or 2 straight. Im trying to get off them now myself but I am so very deep in a hole its almost hard to see the end. Once you stop say goodbye to sleep for a while and feeling like complete psychosis for the next few weeks or months till your brain comes back from the hole you dug for it. If I could go back and never take a benzo I would in a heart beat ssris and ssnris never worked for me."

Mrwrong (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 26, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took prozac for 12 years, and it became more less useful to me as I became more tolerant. However I cannot live without it due to my condition of extreme severe anxiety and panic. I grew up with this disorder and as an adult I can't control it at points. I have never had an addictive nature. And I do not take it on a daily regimen. I refuse to be addicted or forever bound to a drug. So I use other methods of meditation and zen relaxation techniques even sleeping all I need to when I can on days I can. However, I have high stress days, that even prozac doesn't help these nature elements and body chemicals that I had to look for an alternative. I started using Xanax. Due to its addictive nature, I broke them in 4, taking in smaller doses"

Now body (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 0.5 mg xanax as needed, which I have been on for a few months. I suffer PTSD panic attacks and xanax is the only thing that helps. I don't always need it and can go weeks without needing to take one."

What works for me December 13, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Xanax is the "devil drug". I have taken it for over 15 years and it has done nothing but make things worse. For those of you saying it's a miracle drug, please do your research!!! It ruins your brain chemistry and Is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE.(I can't stress that enough) For those who have been taking the drug for over a couple of months, your gonna have horrible withdrawal symptoms when you decide to stop. Benzodiazepines are the ONLY drug that you can actually die coming off of! Trust me!!"

Rudy1mmm November 13, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Xanax in 1992 after having a heart catheter that went wrong. I went into V Tach after that I suffered from arrhythmia daily and panic attacks, ending up in the hospital a few times.. First the arrhythmia starts which brings on panic attacks. I realize now this is all PTSD. My new internist put me on Xanax at. 025mg which had little results then upped to 0.50mg which I take one twice a day. 24 years later I'm still on it taking same dosage. Tried going off a few times unsuccessfully. New doctor lowered it to one day. Hoping for the best."

JunoRick (taken for 10 years or more) November 12, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had panic attacks and anxiety since my teens (appx 30 years now). When I was younger the doctor prescribed .25 mg xanax and it did nothing for me as a teenager. I didnt take more than a few dosages. Over the years the panic attacks have been become more severe and interfere with my health and life. I decided to introduce xanax back into my life. I have been taking it as needed for 1.5 years. It is not need everyday. Sometimes I take .50mg.. Sometimes I might need 1mg for the entire day. It has saved my life. I am currently working on biofeedback and CBT to better manage the ups and downs. I tried two SSRIs and lets just say they made things alot worse. Prozac was awful. Xanax works with the right doctor and therapy. You are not alone"

FlPanic101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given Xanax 0.5mg over 10 years ago for extreme panic attacks, always and still does do the trick. I started off with 2 a day it became *as needed*. Luckily I didn't build up a tolerance. I am having trouble (Since my doctor retired) finding a doctor to prescribe them. As I type I have been forced to be with out them for going on 5 days and I have had a few really bad panic attacks. Could be lack of pills, could be physiological, most likely menopause. I have not found any one to help me with this. Why? Clearly, I know what works for me."

6469 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 10, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on xanax 0.5 mg tablets twice a day for about 6 years due to a panic disorder.It has been fantastic. Then there was a time when i stopped them as I only used them when needed. It is comforting to know you have them just incase as they are fantastic to calm down anxiety. Since the onset of menopause my body just broke down into a million pieces and my anxiety went through the roof so once again I'm taking 2 a day until this all settles back down .. I can recommend these tablets 100% they are amazing..Yay for XANAX"

sweetface10 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given xanax for panic attacks. Worked great. 3 years later and I have a tolerance and feel withdrawal in between doses. I am miserable and worse than I started. Use caution! Wish I had known when I started them."

Becka811 September 29, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Please be very careful, and I repeat very careful. My doctor prescribed xanas to treat my panic disorders from underground stations (london) phobia of being under the earth's surface. I was managing fine with other medication such as vistaril which did a great job but was keeping me tired. Almost two months later I asked my doctor to take me off them, because xanax just makes me want to sleep and sit on the coach doing nothing, we tried all dosages and I still felt sad inside. Here is the shocking part, only 8 days after my last dose (which was weaned slowly over two weeks), I had my first ever seizure at the age of 29. I never had seizures, no family history, never ever will I touch this stupid medicine again, never."

NazAlo September 22, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before I was prescribed xanax I weighed 90 pounds, bags under my eyes, couldn't get out of bed, had no appetite, dehydrated, couldn't leave the house, or even speak to anyone. I have SEVERE anxiety and depression & also suffer from PTSD.... thoughts on suicide were everyday and I had to be basically babysat 24-7 to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. I don't understand why everyone talks about the negative effects of this pill when people like ME actually need it to function and live a happy lifestyle. Since taking it, I've gained healthy weight, no longer throw up from anxiety, i have friends now, and do activities i never thought i would without having panic attacks. Its a great feeling to be able to live again. Thank you XANAX"

anxietysuksss (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 4, 2016

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started at 24. Took it until 44. It's the only medication that ever worked for me. I was a guinea pig for 6 months. 2 days after taking it, it was a miracle medicine. I actually called my Dr thanking him. I had finally gotten the elephant off my chest. Never abused it, sometimes dealing with anxiety so as not to get addicted. Are there any Drs left that will prescribe real, working medication for people who really need but do not abuse it. I do not need a psychiatrist, I just need (as one put it) one in hand just in case. Doctors today think it's taboo to even mention this medication. I'm not 15 nor do I abuse it. I take a 1 mg at night and sleep like a rock. Hey Drs, this medicine works!!!"

Cummins Turbo August 23, 2016

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used to honestly be completely against pharmaceuticals in every sense, until I developed panic disorder. I have intrusive thoughts, and experience hypochondria and dissociation literally for hours on end or off and on throughout the entire day. It's nearly impossible to even live a normal life feeling this way. After talking a .5 mg xanax, within 10 minutes, all of those negative feelings start to dissipate. It has truly been a miracle drug for me and has changed my life for the better."

Kah665 August 15, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was 53 years old living a normal happy life when my son (then 18) was diagnosed with major depression. A few weeks later he had a psychotic episode and he left my life out of the blue severing all contact with me ever since. This had a serious effect on my mental health and within 3 months I started having anxiety or panic attacks. I did not know what they were. It was all novel to me. After a few difficult months I went to a psychiatrist and he put me on alprazolam (Xanax) in a reduced dosage of 0.25 mg as necessary. It did provide serious relief. I take it no more than once a day at most. It was a life saver. Yet it deals with the symptoms of anxiety it doesn't resolve your underlying issues. Yet it was a fantastic help. Recommended."

Peter129 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have chronic panic disorder/ agoraphobia ,if not for this drug I would be dead,now with all the conflict goin on about it ,I won't survive,im a 60 year old man who has been on 3 to 4mgs a day,how inhuman these new doctors are."

Bill515 (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just wanted to give my experience with Xanax so far. I started having genuine anxiety attacks and all-day anxiety episodes about two months ago. But there were definitely signs of a building anxiety disorder before that. As opposed to normal anxiety, which we should all try to cope with as best as possible without unnecessary drugs. But these attacks had become all-day, distracting, genuinely life-disrupting experiences, tense muscles, constant intrusive thoughts, inability to concentrate on other things, etc. At that point, there's something wrong, and it needs to be diagnosed. Xanax works like a tourniquet for your mind - and sometimes you just need that. It won't cure the underlying issues, but it'll give your mind space to recuperate."

Darren Ronard June 30, 2016

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started having panic attacks about 13 years ago. The Dr. gave me a few different drugs to try - all either had horrible side effects including nightmares - or did nothing. Then we tried Xanax - it was a miracle for me! one .5mg Xanax and I can function again. When I was promoted at work to a position where I would have to speak in front of a crowd I was terrified, but taking one of these has changed my life!!"

Sweaty lady (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2016