User Reviews for Xanax (Page 2)

Learn more about Xanax.

Panic Disorder 133 reviews 19 medications

9.2
Anxiety 324 reviews 63 medications

Depression 59 reviews 78 medications

8.6
Summary of Xanax reviews 516 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Xanax

For Depression "If I could rate Xanax higher I would, this is without a doubt the most effective medication I've ever taken for anxiety, and fast acting. I've always dealt with the public speaking anxiety since high school. I'm 29, healthy and active and have never been depressed so that's why I've been reluctant about SSRI's. My GP prescribed Celxa, went up to 20mg and it was a nightmare, had panic attacks and very vivid intrusive thoughts. My GP switched to lexapro @10mg and I still get panic attacks. If I get a panic attack I take a .50mg of Xanax and it takes like 15 min to kick in and I feel great - I hate SSRI's and wish Xanax was a daily med."

Bushygoodness March 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I get anxiety attacks with nausea (GAD diagnosed) and use half a .25 tablet during an attack. I'm pretty drug sensitive and also leery of overuse. I'm way under recommended dosage of one full .25 tab every six hours, but it takes the edge off my rushing thoughts of worry at half of one every 12-16 hours as needed. I was without anxiety attacks for 7 years and had a very old prescription that I used when my attacks returned. FDA has to list an expiration date but 80-90% of the drug was still active."

MerricMaker (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2016

For Depression "I agree with everything that has already been said here. I am just so incredibly grateful that I was able to build a trusting relationship with my doctor so that HE feels comfortable prescribing it. Xanax really is the only thing that helps me untangle myself when the anxiety takes over. What I love the most is that I can count on it to do the job and not leave me feeling strange later. It just smooths out the wrinkles and kinks that I get into every so often. Just knowing that I have it in my cabinet to lean on is in itself a big help for me - my secret tool. Yes, it's a shame something so helpful to us is abused, but that is with everything in life. Be happy we aren't Guinea pigs anymore with the crappy meds :-)"

Gr8smile March 10, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I had horrible anxiety from 14 to 21 then i got prescribed xanax .25 and my life changed i was going out with friends didnt care about little things like what people think of you it was great then at 23 i decided im good i dont need it anymore and had 4 months of hell getting off im mow 29 and ive delt with the anxiety everyday and it got easier but was still a small burdan couldnt be me something was missing i just got back on it a few weeks ago and now ive worked harder then ever i was promoted to asistant manager within 2 weeks of starting back xanax everyone told me how they noticed my confidence in everything and i take control of stressful situations as i work in the food business suddenly im the go to guy at work i work 50hours aweek"

aaronax March 10, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been struggling with severe anxiety and depression since I was a child. I've tried everything for anxiety: lexapro, Celexa, Effexor XR, Prozac, and Xanax. It's been the only medication that has really saved my life from this illness. Otherwise, if I don't take it, I won't be able work or live. I know that there is so much stigma about how it's addicting and it's abused. If you genuinely have a serious anxiety disorder, don't focus on the stigma. Take them! Or try to live the severe anxiety. You sort of have to pick your poison. I have never abused xanax. I started taking Klonopin for about a year, and was switched to xanax. I've always taken my medicine as prescribed. Right now, I'm taking .25 mg and it does wonders for me."

Overcomer31 March 9, 2016

For Anxiety "Way too addictive. Very expensive in my country, and gives me extreme vivid dreams/nightmares. But the mellow feeling is nice after a panic attack. Stops dead on track panic, and almost any emotional crisis. But I prefer to stay away. I changed to Klonopin."

corvohunter March 1, 2016

For Anxiety "I started out Valium for about 20 years 10 mg x 4 a day. Used for anxiety and sleep. It worked was a comfort to know most of the time used 2 per day so I always had extra. I think knowing I had extras help almost as much. Then Dr changed prescription to alprazolam 2 mg tablets 4 times a day, some heavy difference, at first it worked well . In the beginning I felt it 30 minutes after I took it and only needed 2 per day, now I'm at 4 per day that's 8 mgs and I don't feel it , I don't know about withdrawals but I hear it's pretty hard to get off and I've been on them for 30 years. Not sure what to expect but think I would feel more alert and energetic too"

James1663 (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2016

For Anxiety "I've just switched to Klonopin from being on Xanax for almost 11 years. It worked WONDERS for me. I never abused it and take it responsibly, but I did develop a tolerance to it after so long on it. One of the best things about Xanax is that it kicks in pretty quickly, which is a must for panic attacks. It's very hard for me to let Xanax go because it's the only thing that really worked for my anxiety and panic attacks."

IcePrincess88 (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2016

For Panic Disorder "Having had anxiety since I was a teenager, I'd been taking no drugs at all and just living with it until I was given valium by my primary doctor and that helped. I had seen a CSW, a psychologist and finally another psychologist who took me off the valium I'd tried and suggested xanax and paxil. I've been taking the two drugs : 10 mg. paxil 1x a day and .025 xanax up to 3x a day for 8 months or so, with much success. Can these meds be taken indefinitely.?"

Nussie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

For Anxiety "Used for 6 weeks to treat muscle spasms and phobia. After asking my doctor to wean me off we followed a regimen, and it was the worst withdrawal I have ever experienced in my whole life, even worse than things that I've taken in the past. I suffered temporal epileptic seizures for 3 days, and was staring at the door for an hour before my girlfriend smacked me to wake me up. 6 days later I suffered two consecutive grand mal seizures that broke my skull and nose. I had never history of seizures, brain MRI EEGs done last year came out clear and crystal, and this medicine lowered my threshold so much, 6 months after I stopped it I am not the same, I am not the same anymore. Please be careful and think ten times before you decide to drop it."

Nasmoed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

For Anxiety "My psychiatrist prescribes me 15 Xanax 0.5mg per month. I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression, and am on other meds for that; Xanax is only for extra-stressful situations. It is incredibly effective. Within minutes of taking it, I am much calmer. I notice no side effects whatsoever."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I was diagnosed with Cervical Dystonia in 2000 a little after a car accident. I went back to work and worked fast and hard as usual and the dystonia got worse. Shortly after, I developed panic attacks. Dr. prescribed generic xanax and it really helped. I don't remember how much it was- 2005. The xanax not only took the panic attacks away but my neck pulling would go away for a long time. Since 2013 dystonia came back w/vengance. No one has prescribed xanax and keeps prescribing crappy medications-Baclofen, flexiril and now Atarax. I'm scared to take the Atarax. I know xanax works and I only used it maybe 4 times a month. No habit forming for me. Kids ruined it for folks that need it :("

Raquelsc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

For Anxiety "I've used Xanax twice in my life--once when one of my children died and later when I was divorced. The drug works as advertised, relieving anxiety in an extremely short time. 12 years ago I was prescribed 0.5 mg three times a day and it really worked. However, it is very easy to get comfortable taking these. I stopped cold turkey after about a month with no withdrawal, but I could just have easily become very dependent. It's a great medication if you use restraint and only take it when necessary. My current doctor tells me that he tells his patients that 3 0.5 mg tablets is the maximum they should take every week. It's great but be careful!"

Anon 80 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

For Anxiety "I have generalized anxiety disorder and several other mental illnesses, so I am on a combination of medications. Xanax is one of the best of the bunch. I only get fifteen 0.5mg pills per month, for use only in stressful situations. Works like a charm every time. Within fifteen minutes my anxiety and panic symptoms are well under control. No side effects whatsoever. I know the danger of addiction is very real, but as long as I use my Xanax sparingly, I see no reason to ever stop taking it. I also take Tenormin, Neurontin, Ambien, Buspar, and Remeron."

Serene Celine (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 27, 2016

For Anxiety "I have been on Xanax for about 30 years now. I have suffered with anxiety since I was a child and depression later in life. I started out only taking 0.5 mg a day, even going for periods of time without taking it at all, and then over the past 15 years I have graduated to only 1.5 mg a day. I feel no need for an increase. I suffer with all the usual anxiety symptoms, but one symptom that is most annoying is the choking sensation I feel in my throat. I believe I carry my stress and worries there. When I take Xanax, it takes this terrible feeling away. I find it extremely difficult to get a doctor to prescribe me this medicine as I moved to another state. The people who abuse this drug make it extremely difficult for those of us who need it."

lamb1111 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2016

For Anxiety "Hello everybody. I'm only giving Xanax a 1 out of 10 because it doesn't seem to have any effect on me. I've been getting it every month for a few years. I started it back when, after taking Paxil for a decade, it started to decrease its effectiveness and my anxiety and panic attacks were beginning to re-appear. My psych switched me to Effexor, and while we were figuring out the best dose in combination with Buspar, I was desperate to have a fast-acting solution to the panic when I felt it coming on. He gave me Xanax, but it didn't help with the overwhelming anxiety unless I took a few of them, and even then the improvement was minimal to moderate. When I found the magic dosage amount with the Effexor my anxiety all but disappeared.."

Mikek1 January 11, 2016

For Depression "My doctor threw every anti depressant medication my way they ALL made my depression worse to the point I had suicidal thoughts and tendencies. My mother had it with the Drs changing my dose and meds so finally she gave me some of her own prescribed xanax. She gave me a .25 when I had my bad day about 7 days out of the month now as needed. I also have nervous habits, anxiety. When she started giving me the xanax I was 17. Before I would cry hysterically for hours on end. As soon as I tried xanax it all went away. No more mood swings my depression went way down only having a few issues a month when I was untreated. I am now 28 and I use it maybe 4-6 times a year and I use oils the others. I highly recommend not using it continuously."

gethelptoday January 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I started on Xanax after the birth of my second child for post partum anxiety. I used Ativan after my first baby but my new doctor wanted me to try Xanax. I thought it worked great at first. .25 my 4 x a day. Most days I only took 2 or 3. My baby developed colic issues and my husband was working 60 -70 hours a week so I had no help and was going crazy from no sleep and endless hours of non-stop crying so they upped my dose to .5 mg 3 x a day. Things calmed down around 3 months so I tried to cut back down but ended up with severe panic attacks and shaking, etc. Even when I take my regular dose on time I am still struggling with increased heart rate, shakiness, irritability, etc. Hoping to switch meds or something at my next appointment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I started taking Xanax over ten years ago for my anxiety. I started with .5 mg twice a day and ended up at .5 mg every 4 hours and still felling like I needed more as I was addicted. I had one heck of a time weaning off. I now take 1/2 of a .25 mg tablet every 3 to 4 hours when needed for my tinnitus. It works to lessen the anxiety caused by the constant ringing in my ears and I try some days to take it only once or twice. It has worked great for me but I suggest being very conservative with your dosing because it is very easy to build a tolerance and form an addiction."

D in NM January 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I suffer from moderate, sometimes severe anxiety. General life stress, such as my job (bad bosses), my kids arguing over any & everything, etc... I've been on Xanax (alprozolam) for about 2 years on & off. Recently I've started experiencing panic attacks with psychotic features (self-diagnosing here) and as soon as I take a .5mg Xanax tablet, I'm fine within 5-10 minutes. This little tablet has been a lifesaver for me."

Landonsmommy14 January 4, 2016

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Xanax for about one month now, and my life has drastically changed. I get really bad hot flashes and when I started taking this I noticed immediate results. One huge tip I have is to eat really healthy, and also on days where you have time take xanax and go workout hard. Run on the treadmill, lift weights, or swim. With all these things incorporated into my life I am much happier, have my social life back and I am able to show my natural talents without the fear of doom."

Lovelyso January 4, 2016

For Panic Disorder "If I could give Xanax more stars, I would. I have Panic Disorder and during college, panic disorder with mild Agoraphobia. After being prescribed Xanax, whenever I felt the onset of a panic attack emerging, this medication would save me from spiraling into a cycle of uncontrolled panic.My agoraphobia is gone. I would only recommend taking it as needed. I couldn't be happier with my results and I can live a normal life knowing I have my 'security blanket' if I need it."

panicbegone (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 3, 2016

For Depression "My wife uses Xanax. She is bipolar II. She has a lot of depression and anxiety but not much hypomania. She takes two 1mg when she is having a really bad day which is about every other day. It knock her out for about four hours. Often times she will wake up and then about 4 hours later, she needs to take another Xanex. It helps in emergencies but does nothing for the underlying cause of her severe depression and anxiety. I'm glad it's there for emergencies though. I wish it did something to decrease the frequency of emergencies."

Swpo January 1, 2016

For Anxiety "All started when I was about 18 years young. All typical symptoms - racing thoughts, palpitations, high blood pressure, dizzines, fear, choking feeling, chest tightness, fear of death and many other unbearable things which happens when anxiety becomes uncontrollable! Over the years I have had my good days and my bad days. Sometimes to a point where I don't want to live anymore, but then comes good days and to live is the thing I want the most. For those dark moments when close to panic xanax has really helped me! It gets me a bit calmer straight away, and then I can start breathing excercise and other little things which help to calm down. Without xanax I honestly wouldn't know what to do!"

EduardsR December 13, 2015

For Anxiety " xanax forums are full of how xanax can be so strong for some people. to me it was like a sledgehammer over my head. I woke 6 hours later with no recollection of what went on other than I slept. this was a low dose. It is either panic or been knocked out. Where are all these pleasant experiences I hear about?"

Neme December 11, 2015