User Reviews for Xanax (Page 2)

Panic Disorder
9.1

Anxiety
8.8

Depression
8.6

Summary of Xanax reviews 8.9 656 reviews

Reviews for Xanax

For Panic Disorder "On .5 mg as needed up to 3x per day for 28 years now for extreme panic disorder/agoraphobia. I could not leave my home at all until I finally connected with a doctor whom specialized in panic attacks, who came to my house and prescribed Nardil and Xanax. I had gone untreated for 15 years prior to that, which is how a panic attack disorder eventually led to agoraphobia and my complete isolation. I do not have a problem with addiction, as I’m careful with my meds. However, I’m treated by the VA, and they have now decided to remove the meds that have worked for me for 28 years. I’ve warned that I will no longer be able to leave my house again, but they seem to have an agenda that does not involve feedback from me..."

DW555 (taken for 10 years or more) December 16, 2017

For Anxiety "I was taking 2mg Xanax XR in the morning and before bed. I took 1 mg Xanax XR in the afternoon. If I would forget to take my meds in the morning, by 1:00 in the afternoon my head would start buzzing, I was agitated and in horrible shape. For years I was living in a fog. I was safely detoxed in the hospital for three days a little over a week ago. The doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Librium 3x day. This medication is mainly used for alcohol detox. It has worked wonders for me. It is another type of benzo, but for the first time in years I am happy and feel alive again. Please do not take Xanax lightly, it is an addictive viscous cycle that can make you feel worse in the long run."

only34me (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 16, 2017

For Anxiety "I take xanax to help me sleep and I also take it for anxiety when needed. I haven't really been having problems with either sleep or anxiety for the last 8 months or so. So I have just been taking .25 mg (a half-dose for me) at bedtime. I have been taking xanax on and off for about 10 years. My experience with it has been nothing but positive. I have never had any negative side effects. It just calms me down a little bit and makes me feel feel a little more relaxed. I have never needed to take a bigger dose than .5 mg. It has not been addicting to me at all. But that is probably because I have rarely had to take it more than once a day. A few times when I had bad anxiety, I had to take it twice a day, but those times have been very rare."

SteveGriswaldd December 13, 2017

For Panic Disorder "So many other reviews on here but this drug is important. I will chime in as well since it has been prescribed a little different for me. I used to wake up in a panic a couple of times a week, but it's pretty easy for me to gauge my stress level and predict which nights are going to be bad ones. I take 0.25 or 0.5 mg 1 or 2 nights a week, before 2 am or I'll be so zonked I don't respond to my alarm. It does the trick so I can fall right back to sleep after waking, instead of panicking and then ruminating for 5-6 hours, and being a mess at work and with my kids the next day. It works so well & I can easily see how it would be addictive, but it's a life-changer so I am very careful."

Anvil (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2017

For Panic Disorder "This is the best to knock a panic attack flat on its arse. I been taking 0.5mg daily for 6 months and I also take them when I fly. I could literally walk on the wing and not care. Don't take with alcohol though..I made the mistake of popping one of these then drank 4 or 5 martinis. I made a fool of myself and swung from a coworkers chandelier at a party and pulled it out of the ceiling. Everyone was cheering me on so I felt like a bru. The more I drank the stupider I became. At the end of the night I climbed a street pole and tried to punch out the light telling people it was a UFO. They work well, but do not drink on them"

Nicky Glasses November 25, 2017

For Anxiety "I am prescribed up to 4mg a day and usually take 2 to 3 mg a day. I can't be given any SSRIs due to bad reactions on my maternal side of the family. Xanax just works for me. Was it overprescribed for years and given to people who had no business taking it? Yes. But this drug works wonders for some people. And it's not placebo. Am I dependent? Yes. Is my quality of life better on them? Yes. They don't make me sleepy or black out. In fact they give energy and on bad days motivation to get out of bed. I'm in good health, sleep 6 to 8 hours a day, and can interact with people better. Are they for everyone? NO. But they've helped me immensely."

YIKES! (taken for 10 years or more) November 5, 2017

For Anxiety "Works excellent for anxiety. Have horrible social anxiety which I also take Zoloft for but xanax doesn’t really help with it. Not knowing cause my Dr’s didn’t tell me but after being on this a while and at a high dose (for me up to 3mg/day) if you don’t take it everyday you feel like rubbish. Took me almost 2 years to figure this out so regardless if I need it or not I take maybe 1mg as a maintenance dose in the middle of the day. Greatly helps to not feel sick. I also take 30mg of Temazepam at night which I thought would cover me. But for the past 10 days my mood has been really bad, the worst in years and a couple mg’s of Xanax greatly improves it but wouldn’t recommend it since it’s not prescribed to take it that way"

Liz Lemon (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2017

For Anxiety "I was diagnosed with panic disorder and generalised anxiety disorder 24 years ago. I suffered for many years during that time and did not take any medication with the view that I would fix the issue naturally. I tried the natural way for years, avoidance behaviour became the norm and a way of coping. 9 years ago I was at tipping point in a very stressful job and finally was prescribed xanax (alprazolam) by a GP. For the first time since my teens when the anxiety began, I finally had relief. This medication has been a complete game changer for me and has improved my quality of life by 1000%. I have been taking 0.5 mg twice a day for the past 8 years and haven't had to increase the dosage. This medication is now sadly classified as a level 8 drug in Australia due to people who don't need it abusing the drug and ruining it for those who really need it. My psychiatrist is now trying to switch me to Ativan. I have been taking it for approximately a month now and it makes me feel depressed and empty and I have never had depression. I need 2 mg to ease my anxiety (double the dose of xanax) and it basically makes me feel like crap. Feeling incredibly overwhelmed and annoyed that this medication which has helped me so much will probably no longer be available in Australia."

Emma1818 October 15, 2017

For Depression "Autumn depression"

Spiritta (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Life saver for me. BUT only because I take it when I truly need it. I suffer from day to day anxiety but I do not take it for that. I try to get rid of anxiety other natural ways. But I do suffer from severe panic attacks, especially night time. So I only take it when I am having an attack. I am on the lowest dose possible ( .25 ) and I can get away with taking even just half of that sometimes. It takes the edge off very fast and I feel so much better shortly after. Take it on average 1-2 times a month, sometime less, rarely more. Extremely addictive med so I urge you to stay away from it for daily use or if you have an addictive personality."

Joy8618 October 12, 2017

For Anxiety "STAY AWAY FROM XANAX. Please!! It will help you -- in the moment. But literally hours later, the rebound anxiety and insomnia will hit you and make you regret taking it at all in the first place. And before you know it you'll go from half a bar to multiple bars just to sleep at night. Oh, and the increased despersonalizion and dark thoughts are not potential "side effects" -- they are some of the many very real, consistently DIRECT EFFECTS of taking Xanax. Benzos should be used as rarely and as short-term as possible. Even in these cases the withdrawal is VERY real...it hurts just to live. Please. Take my word for it. I'm going through it for the TENTH time right now. ADDICTIVE"

Cal Student (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2017

For Anxiety "Xanax has been great for me! I have suffered horribly for years from GAD, PTSD, bipolar disorder, fibromyalgia... and many more health problems. It actually gives me energy to get things done, and allows for peace and tranquility. I'm prescribed 3mg per day and it also helps me sleep at night. I've had trouble sleeping for years, but this medication has helped so much."

DrGonzo07 September 28, 2017

For Anxiety "Xanax has helped me with my activity's anxiety, I have a hard time going out being around people especially, when going places like the doctors, shopping, I have a hard time being around people or even just going outdoors also just going outside in general. I don't like being away from home that's my safe zone. I get scared when I here loud loud noises, I'm afraid people are going to hurt me or the ones I love, I am happy with my dogs and cats want to be left alone, Away from the rest of the world. here are only a few that I can trust, my mother, father, My Dave plus my children, plus my therapist Mark."

Anonymous September 17, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I have been on Xanax for 15 years I'm only 30 years old. While this is a miracle drug for pulling you out of a panic attack and preventing them. This medicine works extremely well for my anxiety that said it can cause a very nasty dependence and addiction where you will need larger and larger doses to combat this rebound anxiety (this is what the Dr call it). It's your brain screaming for more of the drug, this is not only a mental dependency but also a very strong physical one. If you are thinking about taking Xanax remember less is more the less you take the better it works. It has become part of my daily meds 2 mg 3 to 4 times a day and that's coming from being on the max dose legally available 10 mg daily you don't want that. Use Caution"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I got prescribed 0.5mg of Xanax, that I take once a day. My wife had just died. My anxiety was so bad I would not leave the house nor would I barely eat. It made me feel alive again and I'm able to function, and get out and socialize like a normal person again. I actually have a appetite now, and I'm getting good sleep again, which I haven't felt in a long time. Xanax really saved my life."

nobodyyspecial September 7, 2017

For Anxiety "Been on xanax .05 for about two years. Doc put me on just an anti depressant for the first month didn't help ANY, went back and she saw how anxious I was and put me on xanax because I was honest with her and told her a friend gave me a few of hers and it helped my anxiety tons. I get thirty .05 a month and I can go days without them and some days a have to take two or three. Anyone with anxiety disorders know some days aren't easy at all. It helps me just knowing I have them. I still currently take celexa daily I don't know if it really helps my anxiety at all but the combo with the xanax seems to work. I know a lot of ppl don't wanna use pills but I'd much rather have medication than panic attacks."

Anonymous September 1, 2017

For Anxiety "Dad always had some amount of general anxiety but managed it reasonably. In approx 1982 he was prescribed Xanax after his Dad died unexpectedly and he was instructed to take X as needed. He's been on and off X ever since then and has needed progressively more. About 20 years ago he "graduated" to other medications including anti-depressants and at one point was on a combo that resulted in a nearly-successful suicide attempt. He never had suicidal thoughts before or after that particular combo. He's now old and his life is in ruins. He takes X throughout the day but is at the max and cannot take more. Please be aware once you start on these medications you're in it for life. Dr's know this -- job security for them!"

Son1696 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I was on Xanax for a couple of years for severe panic attacks. I started out on .25 mg and soon that was not enough. I had to keep increasing the dose as my panic and anxiety increased. I ended up becoming agoraphobic. I could not leave my house without taking a handful of Xanax first. In the end, I was taking way , way, way too much enough to kill an elephant. I know it sounds hard to believe. It's amazing I am still alive. I had to beg my insurance company to put me in the hospital to detox. I tried to kill myself. I almost died while in the hospital. They took me down to 8 mg a day and I had a grand mal seizure and almost died. It was the most horrible experience of my life. Be careful. It's highly addicting."

Stargirlxo August 12, 2017

For Panic Disorder "Panic disorder is no fun. You feel like you have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, and that you are coming to an end! Xanax has helped me against this terrible nervousness, demonic, feeling. I only take it when I truly need it. I take the lowest dose possible 0.25. The thing about this drug is that it makes you feel so relaxed. So people keep taking it, to keep feeling good and that's when it backfires. Please only take it as needed. Don't take it if your not feeling panic at the moment. You have to respect this drug. And taking it when u don't feel panic is not the way to go. Trust me! Prayer and a lil help from xanax can make all the difference in the world!!"

Mannyvic (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2017

For Anxiety "Since my dad got sick and eventually passed away my anxiety depression and fears were just over whelming. I've been having so many intrusive thoughts since then. I had mild depression before he passed its been 5 years and its finally just has destroyed me. I finally went and got help two weeks ago and xanax not only completely calms me down it helps me focus on thing I need to focus on and not let my mind wonder with anxiety and weird thoughts. Miracle drug. Don't abuse it. Use when needed its amazing."

Kingcotten (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

For Anxiety "I have severe anxiety I started out with 0.5 mg of xanex my Dr just upped it too 1 mg twice a day I have a very understanding Dr. He makes sure I always have 6 months worth I am not addicted because I've gone days with out it"

Lisa 8253 August 8, 2017

For Anxiety "I have been on SSRI's and benzos for probably 3 or 4 years. SSRI's for depression and on top of that benzos for anxiety and panic attacks. Was on ativan for 3 years and it eventually stopped working. Would take 2 0.5mg pills and it would not affect my anxiety at all. Psychiatrist switched me to xanax 0.5mg everyday as needed up to 3 pills a day. It actually works. It takes a few minutes and wipes away any panic attack and softens my anxiety. I am very careful though because I know it can be very addictive. I was clean off the ativan for months and had no withdrawls so I know I was not addicted to that. Have only been on the xanax a few months and I only take it AS NEEDED so not to get addicted."

LumpyNoodle August 3, 2017

For Anxiety "Until yesterday, I was prescribed .5 mg. Alprazolam(xanax) for panic, anxiety and irregular sleep patterns. I took them for four years. I went to my psychiatrist yesterday for my monthly suboxone appointment(6 yrs). The same psychiatrist who prescribed my .5 mg.xanax. I am taking suboxone for chronic pain issues from a MVA. I had been on prescription oxycontin 60 mg, 2x's/d for 11 yrs. and that doctor retired...no doctor would prescribe a full opiate agonist and that was 5yrs. ago. So I was told yesterday that he could no longer prescribed both xanax and suboxone due to state and federal guidelines. This type of inappropriate prescribing is outrageous. Has anyone else come up against this? I never abused either medications."

(jjul) July 29, 2017

For Panic Disorder "I was on 8mg of xanax a day yes 8mg that's 4 bars a day for agoraphobia and several other reasons but be careful with this med though it's a life saver I was pulled off cold turkey and almost took my own life and no ER would not help me at all and I went to 4 different ones and drs are acting like your asking for OxyContin these days if you ask for nerve meds so my dr finally took me back and all is well again but if you can avoid it don't get on this med because if you do you are at the mercy of the system because your now on it for life. worst mental mindwithdrawals of my life"

Anonymous July 29, 2017

For Anxiety "I was given an extremely low dosage of this, don't know if that was part of the problem but it didn't do anything for me good or bad."

5150Aries (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2017