User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Tinnitus.

Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Tinnitus

"I have had tinnitus for more than 1 year , nothing helped me, until I started eating Alprazolam with my other medicines, it was really helpful, I eat one Omega 3 , one Ginko gel in the morning and vitamin B1 and the mix of zinc, magnesium, calcium after lunch and at night one Alprazolam ( 0.5 ) and Betahistin , this medicine diet was great for me , also stop smoking and drinking alcohol is very very very important , please test it ."

Masoud Khorsand October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have moderately severe sensorineural hearing loss. Xanax alleviated my tinnitus a great deal for a couple years. After that, I reached tolerance to Xanax and it was no longer effective. What's more, unless I increased the dose, the tinnitus was louder than ever. Because of tolerance, I was having withdrawal symptoms between doses. Since tapering off and discontinuing Xanax, I have been out of my mind with anxiety and loud hissing tinnitus. These will subside as my brain recovers from the damage the drug has caused. Please educate yourselves about benzodiazepines. Don't rely on your doctor because most of them are recklessly uneducated about the dangers of benzos. 0.5 mg. of Xanax is not a low dose; it is roughly equal to 10mg of Valium."

Simonbarsinister August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe tinnitus after having IV antibiotics administered for a systemic infection. This was in 2014. The hair cells in my ears were damaged by the antibiotics. It was impossible to sleep. Tinnitus is constant and loud. I take 3 mg before bedtime so I can fall asleep. The tinnitus wakes me up in the morning. I use hearing aids designed for tinnitus and they help. Unfortunately, the xanax is causing memory loss and changes in my cognition. I want to get off of it. I live alone and am 61 years old. I need to have my brain completely functional to enter old age independently. I'm considering medical detox but have no idea how I will go on with the intense sound in my head. Anyone else detox and find an alternative?"

Hurlgirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 8 ear surgeries, the tinnitus had grown louder then I could bear. It became overwhelming to be in groups of people larger than 4, hard to concentrate (at work or at play) because of the weird, loud constant sounds and forget about going to sleep if you focus in on the noise, your mind will not let go of it!! Alprazolam has not made it go away but, has put it where it belongs, in the far off background. Which has allowed me to live a pretty normal life once again. Thankful !"

Stapendectomy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed tinnitus and it has been driving me nuts for a year. I reduced my dosage of alprazolam this past week to the point that I have not had any of this medication for several days now. Guess what! No tinnitus. It is completely gone. My alprazolam prescription is 2mg. If I find myself needing a dose because of anxiety I will take one half of a pill and it should get rid of my anxiety. I wanted other people to know the use of alprazolam can cause tinnitus."

bonesmichael (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been experiencing tinnitus since a severe ear infection and infection of my mastoid cell located behind my ear on my skull which resulted in extreme fullness and hearing loss. After getting my ear suctioned because antibiotics weren't helping and a tube put in I got my hearing back in my left ear but was left with bothersome tinnitus. To the point it was driving me crazy!!! That's been 7 years now. My family Dr recently prescribed xanex for my anxiety and panic attacks. I take .5 twice a day and I couldn't believe it all but eliminated 90% of the high pitch in my ear! I still can't believe it and plan bringing it up at my next appointment. I started researching and so happy I'm not alone with this experience. I can wait to tell my Dr!"

DDLT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Severe Tinnitus both ears, rings 24/7 and only Xanax seems to help, it does not eliminate the tinnitus but for some reason it calms it down so it's not as loud and makes it bearable it is the only drug that has helped me. My Tinnitus is so loud it causes headaches, ear pain and insomnia due to the severity of the tone I hear."

Bethoccom (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've has ear ringing on and off for 30 years...well never off, but sometimes more severe than others. Last weekend I copped 4 .5 mg xanax's from my gal, took em Sunday night. Today is Friday...yesterday, Wed and Tuesday the ringing was the worst it's ever been and I'm sure it's from xanax..not withdrawal really, just from xanax. I used to take valium and maybe that's how I got ear ringing in the first place. It's almost gone today...ill never take another xanax."

Den33 April 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had a ringing/buzzing in my right ear (only) for several years. It's been stressful I could barely function. My doctor prescribed alprazolam so I could relax & sleep at night but 1 day, when the ringing was unusually loud/distracting, I decided to just try using it during the daytime. I took 1/2 of a tablet and within a very short time, less than 1/2 hour, the ringing was gone. It seems to be effective for about 6-8 hours. I also take my usual 1 tablet for sleeping and my anxiousness about tinnitus is under control for the most part. I don't understand but I'm too happy to question it. My prescription is for 1 tablet 2X/day so I'm on the low end when taking only 1 1/2! "

Keith's Mom January 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't know if I should take xanax ! But I have been considering on doing it, I am usually afraid of drugs , but this hissing in my ear its so annoying to the point that it is debilitating I can barely make it through the day so any suggestions I will appreciate"

Percha January 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering from tinnitus for years. It was pretty bearable when I first experienced it; however, I fell on the ice a few years ago and hit the back of my head and neck. I developed vertigo, which has gotten much better but the tinnitus was still unbearable. I tried Xanax to calm my anxiety and found it to greatly help my tinnitus. I was afraid of getting addicted to it but I only take a small dose and don't take it everyday. When I don't take it, the tinnitus is pretty bad. I don't know if it is because the anxiety is so bad and it helps that but it certainly reduces the volume of the tinnitus."

Angela O January 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took clonazepam instead of xanax, but they are in the same family. I found it greatly helped my tinnitus. I was ready to lose my mind when I first got tinnitus from a virus in my inner ear 12 years ago. I swear clonazepam saved my life, as I was struggling with the idea of living with tinnitus forever. Anyone considering it should be aware that benzos are addictive and can have long-term negative side effects - I didn't realize it at the time. I'm now tapering off clonazepam, as I hope to be able to handle the tinnitus with meditation, Effexor (anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drug) and a stubborn will. I do not regret using clonazepam for 12 years, but be aware going off it can be difficult. Most doctors aren't aware it helps tinnitus!"

Robyn25 December 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had a little tinnitus for years in my left ear but the last year has been the worst. I suddenly lost alot of hearing in my right ear and now the tinnitus is so loud in my brain it's all I think about. I had a prescription for Xanax that I only used for anxiety very rarely. 30 pills lasted at least 6 months, but I read that Xanax may help tinnitus and started taking a half of .5mg pill each night before bed and it saved my life. My ENT doctor won't give me Xanax for some reason she told me to go back to my PCP, she suggested Melatonin which gave me startling nightmares and my PCP wants me to come in each time he renews the prescription. I don't care for my PCP but I'll go back to him and I'm sure he'll lecture me on the Xanax."

Sadie4913 September 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have OCD & health anxiety I been taking Xanax for the past year & now I develop tinnitus. I really don't know what caused my ears to ring but that's the only prescribed drug I'm taking right now I only take it at night because it helps me sleep but sometimes I take another pill in the morning . The milligrams is the low 0.5"

Sylvixen (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xanax absolutely saved me from going crazy from tinnitus. Lowered my anxiety due to hissing loudly at night. I also use low sodium and drink plenty of water. The white noise app helps a lot. I wear ear buds on low for 15 minutes and it usually lowers the sound in my head. I especially like the shower sound. I never need xanax during the day. I use .5mg or 1mg XR(generic) at night. Bless all of you who have the crazy T."

Andipandi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had this constant ringing in my ear for years now up until today I didn't even know there was a name for it but after reading all these testimonials I tried a Xanax and finally some relief! For people who have this you know what I mean. Thank God for Xanax. "

adams123 January 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered with tinnitus and mild hearing loss for the past 10 years. I had gotten to the point of completely "losing" it. The constant ringing, buzzing, etc. was driving me insane and causing anxiety. My doctor prescribed Xanax for the anxiety, but it clearly brought the tinnitus under control. I no longer suffer from anxiety because I'm no longer stressed by the continuous noise. Xanax gets a bad rap, but it saved me and made my life normal again. Many thanks to my doctor."

sadie66 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was dignosed 2 years ago with hearing loss related tinnitus. The hissing was so loud I could not sleep. I tried masking devices, supplements, etc and nothing worked. My doctor prescribed Xanax to relax me enough to get some rest at night. After 2 nights, the hissing subsided during the day. Now some days I have little or no head noise. I continue to take Xanax with no side effects except being a little tired in the afternoon. Please try this medicine if your tinnitus is interfering with your life. Talk to your doctor about dosage."

mr l May 1, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Lifesaving. Was completely nonfunctional before being put on it. I understand the risks but the risks of disabling tinnitus were 1 million times worse. This medicine needs to be studied further as I also agree that severe tinnitus related to sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a brain condition. I tried a million things beforehand (steroids, steroids injected into ear, hyperbaric oxygen, etc.) Xanax saved my life."

Myinput February 3, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My ears were ringing like crazy, I was almost to start break down and cry, but I was reading on one guys experience on how to best the ringing and everything he went thru I was going thru so I stsrted to do exactly what he said is to tune it out cause the more you think about it the worse it gets because with titinus you csn become your own worst enemy. So I keep reading on other testimonials and read alot of people took zanax and it seemed to quite the ringing down. So I had a zanax 0.5mg took it also because I couldnt sleep, the next day I woke up with a slight ringing and as the day progressed it went completely away Thank the lord.I truly believe that this oh s a condition thats related to the nrevous system there is s cure out."

cat bird (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"1 year ago (Sept, 2012) First serve in doubles tennis, hit me behind right ear; tinnitus ever since. As little as 0.125 Mg of Xanadu "tones it down"."

Daleh30354 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using alprazolam for more than a year for my tinnitus, it does help especially in the evening. I take a 1mg tab at 6pm & 9pm. IT definitely makes it Easier to cope."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Tinnitus, very loud and lasts all day and night. Couldn't sleep until I used Xanax and it worked great!"

Lyndalyn January 21, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was taking 3mg per day at equal intervals. I tried to stop completely, and the noise came roaring back. So, I went back on 3mg per day, and the noise is reduced by 50% or more, with minimal side effects so far."

tjsnowymanbird (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "This worked great for me until my Doctor retired and the new Doctor taking over patients wont prescribe it. Now ringing in ears is back in full force."

Anonymous October 4, 2011