User Reviews for Alprazolam

Also known as: Alprazolam Intensol, Niravam, Xanax, Xanax XR

Learn more about Alprazolam.

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Tinnitus.

Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Tinnitus

"I've has ear ringing on and off for 30 years...well never off, but sometimes more severe than others. Last weekend I copped 4 .5 mg xanax's from my gal, took em Sunday night. Today is Friday...yesterday, Wed and Tuesday the ringing was the worst it's ever been and I'm sure it's from xanax..not withdrawal really, just from xanax. I used to take valium and maybe that's how I got ear ringing in the first place. It's almost gone today...ill never take another xanax."

Den33 April 2, 2016

"I've had a ringing/buzzing in my right ear (only) for several years. It's been stressful I could barely function. My doctor prescribed alprazolam so I could relax & sleep at night but 1 day, when the ringing was unusually loud/distracting, I decided to just try using it during the daytime. I took 1/2 of a tablet and within a very short time, less than 1/2 hour, the ringing was gone. It seems to be effective for about 6-8 hours. I also take my usual 1 tablet for sleeping and my anxiousness about tinnitus is under control for the most part. I don't understand but I'm too happy to question it. My prescription is for 1 tablet 2X/day so I'm on the low end when taking only 1 1/2! "

Keith's Mom January 27, 2016

"I don't know if I should take xanax ! But I have been considering on doing it, I am usually afraid of drugs , but this hissing in my ear its so annoying to the point that it is debilitating I can barely make it through the day so any suggestions I will appreciate"

Percha January 26, 2016

"I have been suffering from tinnitus for years. It was pretty bearable when I first experienced it; however, I fell on the ice a few years ago and hit the back of my head and neck. I developed vertigo, which has gotten much better but the tinnitus was still unbearable. I tried Xanax to calm my anxiety and found it to greatly help my tinnitus. I was afraid of getting addicted to it but I only take a small dose and don't take it everyday. When I don't take it, the tinnitus is pretty bad. I don't know if it is because the anxiety is so bad and it helps that but it certainly reduces the volume of the tinnitus."

Angela O January 23, 2016

"I took clonazepam instead of xanax, but they are in the same family. I found it greatly helped my tinnitus. I was ready to lose my mind when I first got tinnitus from a virus in my inner ear 12 years ago. I swear clonazepam saved my life, as I was struggling with the idea of living with tinnitus forever. Anyone considering it should be aware that benzos are addictive and can have long-term negative side effects - I didn't realize it at the time. I'm now tapering off clonazepam, as I hope to be able to handle the tinnitus with meditation, Effexor (anti-depressant and anti-anxiety drug) and a stubborn will. I do not regret using clonazepam for 12 years, but be aware going off it can be difficult. Most doctors aren't aware it helps tinnitus!"

Robyn25 December 12, 2015

"I've had a little tinnitus for years in my left ear but the last year has been the worst. I suddenly lost alot of hearing in my right ear and now the tinnitus is so loud in my brain it's all I think about. I had a prescription for Xanax that I only used for anxiety very rarely. 30 pills lasted at least 6 months, but I read that Xanax may help tinnitus and started taking a half of .5mg pill each night before bed and it saved my life. My ENT doctor won't give me Xanax for some reason she told me to go back to my PCP, she suggested Melatonin which gave me startling nightmares and my PCP wants me to come in each time he renews the prescription. I don't care for my PCP but I'll go back to him and I'm sure he'll lecture me on the Xanax."

Sadie4913 September 25, 2015

"I have OCD & health anxiety I been taking Xanax for the past year & now I develop tinnitus. I really don't know what caused my ears to ring but that's the only prescribed drug I'm taking right now I only take it at night because it helps me sleep but sometimes I take another pill in the morning . The milligrams is the low 0.5"

Sylvixen (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2015

"Xanax absolutely saved me from going crazy from tinnitus. Lowered my anxiety due to hissing loudly at night. I also use low sodium and drink plenty of water. The white noise app helps a lot. I wear ear buds on low for 15 minutes and it usually lowers the sound in my head. I especially like the shower sound. I never need xanax during the day. I use .5mg or 1mg XR(generic) at night. Bless all of you who have the crazy T."

Andipandi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2015

"I have had this constant ringing in my ear for years now up until today I didn't even know there was a name for it but after reading all these testimonials I tried a Xanax and finally some relief! For people who have this you know what I mean. Thank God for Xanax. "

adams123 January 31, 2015

"I have suffered with tinnitus and mild hearing loss for the past 10 years. I had gotten to the point of completely "losing" it. The constant ringing, buzzing, etc. was driving me insane and causing anxiety. My doctor prescribed Xanax for the anxiety, but it clearly brought the tinnitus under control. I no longer suffer from anxiety because I'm no longer stressed by the continuous noise. Xanax gets a bad rap, but it saved me and made my life normal again. Many thanks to my doctor."

sadie66 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2014

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was dignosed 2 years ago with hearing loss related tinnitus. The hissing was so loud I could not sleep. I tried masking devices, supplements, etc and nothing worked. My doctor prescribed Xanax to relax me enough to get some rest at night. After 2 nights, the hissing subsided during the day. Now some days I have little or no head noise. I continue to take Xanax with no side effects except being a little tired in the afternoon. Please try this medicine if your tinnitus is interfering with your life. Talk to your doctor about dosage."

mr l May 1, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Lifesaving. Was completely nonfunctional before being put on it. I understand the risks but the risks of disabling tinnitus were 1 million times worse. This medicine needs to be studied further as I also agree that severe tinnitus related to sudden sensorineural hearing loss is a brain condition. I tried a million things beforehand (steroids, steroids injected into ear, hyperbaric oxygen, etc.) Xanax saved my life."

Myinput February 3, 2014

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My ears were ringing like crazy, I was almost to start break down and cry, but I was reading on one guys experience on how to best the ringing and everything he went thru I was going thru so I stsrted to do exactly what he said is to tune it out cause the more you think about it the worse it gets because with titinus you csn become your own worst enemy. So I keep reading on other testimonials and read alot of people took zanax and it seemed to quite the ringing down. So I had a zanax 0.5mg took it also because I couldnt sleep, the next day I woke up with a slight ringing and as the day progressed it went completely away Thank the lord.I truly believe that this oh s a condition thats related to the nrevous system there is s cure out."

cat bird (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"1 year ago (Sept, 2012) First serve in doubles tennis, hit me behind right ear; tinnitus ever since. As little as 0.125 Mg of Xanadu "tones it down"."

Daleh30354 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2013

"I have been using alprazolam for more than a year for my tinnitus, it does help especially in the evening. I take a 1mg tab at 6pm & 9pm. IT definitely makes it Easier to cope."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam): "Tinnitus, very loud and lasts all day and night. Couldn't sleep until I used Xanax and it worked great!"

Lyndalyn January 21, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I was taking 3mg per day at equal intervals. I tried to stop completely, and the noise came roaring back. So, I went back on 3mg per day, and the noise is reduced by 50% or more, with minimal side effects so far."

tjsnowymanbird (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2012

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "This worked great for me until my Doctor retired and the new Doctor taking over patients wont prescribe it. Now ringing in ears is back in full force."

Anonymous October 4, 2011

Xanax XR (alprazolam): "I have been taking Xanax XR for about 8 years. Prior to that, I took Xanax every 4 hours. My tinnitus is so loud it cannot be tested, and after a lifetime of living with tinnitus, I sought help. Xanax XR is better than Xanax for me because you take it once a day and it continually releases, preventing ups and downs and the autonomic functions check which increases T after sleep. Panic attacks are gone from residual nervousness tinnitus causes. Definitely my quality of life is better, although Xanax XR is not a cure."

flicker March 14, 2011

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "I have tried EVERYTHING and this is the only thing besides ginko biloba that helps. I strongly recommend it. I'd rather be a little sleepy at times then hear totally insane ringing in my ears all the time."

Anonymous November 8, 2010

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xanax (alprazolam): "Working well to help me relax and go to sleep."

meangene April 27, 2010

Xanax (alprazolam): "It helps me a lot and I don't know what I'd do without it. It has changed my life. Thank you to whoever made this drug."

Anonymous November 18, 2009

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've used this drug for 14 years. I developed severe tinnitus. The drug (per research at Oregon Health & Sciences Univ Tinnitus Clinic) seems to reduce the loudness I experience and was given me originally to reduce anxiety about head noise enough to let me sleep. I began taking 1 .25 mg tab per night. 14 years later I take 3 .25 per night to sleep. I take "drug holidays" every 3 monhs for a week. Side effects do occur if you do not progressively reduce dose as you go I've had no side effec"

Anonymous March 30, 2008