User Reviews for Alprazolam to treat Depression

Also known as: Xanax, Xanax XR, Alprazolam Intensol

Alprazolam has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 95 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 81% of those users who reviewed Alprazolam reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Alprazolam Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Alprazolam

Vinny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 16, 2021

“I've been on several SSRIs the past years, but none of them managed to work for my depression as a monotherapy. For my depression, it is necessary to associate SSRIs + Alprazolam. If I am not taking alprazolam, I start to feel depressed and anxious. So this drug really works great for me and I am glad to take it. It allows me to live very well, without being stressed about everything.”

JD February 9, 2021

“alprazolam is good for sleep. I read a review that said weight gain. Don’t think so, probably the opposite unless you take them all day watching TV eating little Debbies cakes. Then I can see why the weight gain”

KKJ2419 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2021

Xanax (alprazolam): “Xanax has saved my life. If you’re responsible with self control it is a miracle drug. Just knowing I have it has lessened the amount of panic attacks I have. I started having unprovoked, spontaneous panic attacks about 6 years ago. I would be sitting in my car and feel like I was hit by a train, literally, I would have trouble breathing. It was terrifying. I don’t have an addictive personality and can easily go days to a week without taking one, most times half a pill is more than enough. Xanax is absolutely life changing. My advice is ONLY take when needed. It shouldn’t be taken every day, in my opinion. it’s like a little miracle that should be respected and used only as needed.”

amv518 November 20, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam): “This is the best medicine out there. It makes me a better person. I love it. I have anxiety and depression and this is the only thing that makes me tolerable to be around. Levels me out and makes me happy.”

Hewy · Taken for 10 years or more May 9, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam): “I suffer from social anxiety rarely leave the house. The anxiety leaves me isolated which cause extreme depression. With xanax 1mg to 2mg takes all anxiety away and calms my depression 10 out of 10. Taking xanax for over 20 years now.”

It's worked for me September 10, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam): “I've been on and off Xanax for 22 years. It's the only drug that makes me feel normal after a lifetime of anxiety and depression. It's awful that people use it recreationally and that's made it difficult to get a prescription for it because of others abuse of it. It makes me feel normal. So obviously I need it. I have nothing but good things to say about this drug. It helps me not want to freak out and shake due to anxiety. If you really need to be on it, it's amazing.”

Severely Depressed Xo · Taken for 10 years or more October 11, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam): “I know what it's like to lose 30 pounds in one month from depression. No appetite, can't walk without getting tired, laying in bed all day crying & nightmares night after night. It's so annoying when psychs' won't prescribe this because of fear of addiction. Well guess what? If I hadn't have found xanax, I would have committed suicide a long time ago. You can take this medicine long term if you have severe depression and are responsible.”

ms me November 3, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam): “The first time I took Xanax was when I was having dental work and it was prescribed for the acute anxiety I feel with dentists. This past year my regular doctor suggested I might like to take it from time to time because of depression and anxiety. It helps tremendously. I usually break the .25 mg pill in half and just take half of one. I do not use it every day, but when I need it, it's wonderful and gets me to the next day.”

Charo · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 12, 2020

Xanax (alprazolam): “I’m sorry my Dr ever put me on Xanax. It’s a EVIL drug . If your dr puts you on it more than a few weeks your will have a Xanax addiction . It’s not safe . Read up on Xanax. This will be my third relapse it’s not in your mind I almost died twice trying to get off of Xanax my heart stopped 6 times and 5 seizures . Other Benzos are safer . The Drs are at fault not the company Pfizer has a warning no more than two weeks on Xanax.”

lil one · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 8, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have had severe panic attacks for years. Finally got a doc that prescribed this and wow, it is an amazing medicine. My doctor retired and it seems every doctor now is afraid to prescribe it due to the ones who abuse it. I don't take it daily but my mind stops racing and I can sleep when I use it. I gave it a 9 because of slight drowsiness some mornings.”

Anonymous February 29, 2008

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have extreme depression and Anexity- sometimes panic attacks. I have this horrible habit of pulling out my hair- on my head,eyelashes, and other areas excessively. Xanax and Lexapro have made me feel normal- for the first time in years I actually have eyelashes growing in. I don't care what people say about the negative effects of xanax- I persoanlly know I needed it. I feel like the nightmare of my mind has been treated.”

Bently Rose February 19, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): “From 2002-2017 I have been on many different types of medications klonopin, Valium and xanax, not to mention all the psych drugs none that helped until my Dr. realized I had social anxiety and paralyzing panic attacks. By far the the best for not only my depression but my anxiety as well was xanax 2mg. I had to take at least the full bar to ease my anxiety however not only did it help with my fears and anxiety but it helped with my depression which stemmed from my constant panic attacks. It is easily abused however when it's needed it's a savior and can help me get what I need to accomplish done as a mother a wife and a personal trainer/ lifeguard and graduate of Homeland Security and Emergency management which without xanax I wouldn't have”

Anonymous December 14, 2011

Xanax (alprazolam): “I'm 37 yrs old I have been dealing with severe depression all my life. I have tried every antidepressant medicine under the sun, some were mildly effective but the side effects were worse than the depression. I went to a new doctor and he asked if I have ever tried Xanax. I said no I thought that was used for anxiety. He prescribed me 1.5 mg a day I started noticing a difference the first day. This stuff is amazing been on it for 2 months finally some relief. Its unfortunate its abused so much and so hard to get a doctor to prescribe it. I haven't had any side effects, I have such a positive outlook on everything now. It has completely changed my life for the better. All the symptoms that come along with depression I had are gone.”

Big Eagle · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 2, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam): “I've suffered from generalized anxiety for 25 years. At one point I could barely leave my house. Afraid to drive on bridges, tunnels, fly... I even had anxiety about taking taking anxiety medication. Xanax was a game changer for me! I rarely take it, but I've Taken trips I never thought I would be able to take. Get this, I was even able to skydive! Not bad for an agoraphobic. It builds confidence. Just having it in my pocket really helps. I had to take a .5 mg dose tonight because I've been in panic mode for five days and I finally needed to reset my mental state. I think David Burn's "feeling good handbook," is an awesome tool too. I'm rambling because after 5 days of super anxiety, I finally took a .5 and now I feel great.”

Rebel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): “Amazing drug. People say it’s bad but they lie about it all the time in the news Bottom line for me it’s a safe drug. But like all things even video games it can be addictive. Just use it responsibly. In other words don't take too regularly.”

DEW3 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam): “Began taking xanax during a time when my one and only child left home for college and I lost my job a month later. It allowed me to cope and move forward. The most I ever took was 1 mg per day, but I now take .25 when I have periodic depression and anxiety. I sometimes go 6 weeks without taking one. The best way to describe it is like rebooting your mind. Life saver for me.”

sunny002 March 28, 2013

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been taking 0.5mg, 1 at night for 8 yrs. I get 30 for a months supply. It has been a miracle for me & my depression. I have tried all antidepressants which only make me feel worse & even suicidal. Xanax is a life saver for me. My doctor now wants me to start again with a antidepressant. I will not I think he wants to wean me off Xanax because of all the negative addictive effects. ”

Gr · Taken for 10 years or more August 11, 2019

Xanax (alprazolam): “For anxiety I give it 10, but for depression 1. It is very good medicine for GAD..but after a couple of months you get addicted. If you stop insomnia is terrible and brain doesn't function at all..so be aware of that.”

twentyfiveyears March 27, 2011

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have been taking 1mg Xanax 4 times daily for 25 years. IT IS THE GREATEST MEDICINE FOR DEPRESSION EVER! No, it does not make me druged-sluggish or anything BAD. Xanax lifts me up when I get down and I do not even want to think about never having Xanax. I know of several friends and family members it would change their life FOR THE BETTER if their Doctors would only prescribe it to them. Of course they should not start on the dosage I take but at least get them started and take it from there.... The antidepressant's JUST DON'T DO IT FOR ME. I have tried several over the YEARS and they just make things worse for me. Xanax allows me to be happy and tolerate the "TOUGH TIMES".”

Gr8smile March 10, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam): “I agree with everything that has already been said here. I am just so incredibly grateful that I was able to build a trusting relationship with my doctor so that HE feels comfortable prescribing it. Xanax really is the only thing that helps me untangle myself when the anxiety takes over. What I love the most is that I can count on it to do the job and not leave me feeling strange later. It just smooths out the wrinkles and kinks that I get into every so often. Just knowing that I have it in my cabinet to lean on is in itself a big help for me - my secret tool. Yes, it's a shame something so helpful to us is abused, but that is with everything in life. Be happy we aren't Guinea pigs anymore with the crappy meds :-)”

Norwegian Guy October 20, 2011

Xanax (alprazolam): “I've had big problems with both depression and anxiety, and I've tried most of the benzodiazepines that are available (Diazepam, Clonazepam, Flunitrazepam, Nitrazepam, Oxazepam, and so on), and also a couple of different antidepressants. SSRI's and Mirtazapine(brand name "Remeron"). And after trying all of these different medications, I didn't think I EVER could get rid of the depression and anxiety and live a normal life (which in turn made me even more depressed), but then in comes Xanax! And it didn't take long before I was almost entirely free from both the depression and the anxiety, which had had such a strong grip on my life for such a long time and almost ruined my life! I really feel like I owe my life to the wonderful Alprazolam!”

cucupuffs · Taken for 10 years or more January 2, 2015

Xanax (alprazolam): “I have dealt with depression, anxiety, social phobia or social anxiety which ever label they want to use for it these days. I have dealt with these issues pretty much since kindergarten. Well mainly the extreme social phobia/anxiety at that time which they used to just call "shy". When I was 18 and was seeing a psychologist he diagnosed me as having agoraphobia, I'm guessing because they really didn't have the term "social phobia/anxiety" at that time. I finally started taking Paxil and it worked good for 10 yrs then I maxed out on dosage and it stopped working. Tried all the other SSRI's/SSNRI's. Effexor XR worked best but didn't help anxiety/or social phobia issues. Got on Klonopin, then Xanax eventually. Benzodiazepines are life savers for socialphobia.”

Stacey M&M November 14, 2012

Xanax (alprazolam): “This is the only one I feel safe taking. I'm prescribed 0.25mg 2x a day or as needed. I took Zoloft, Wellbutrin,Seroquel, etc. Felt horrible coming off all of these. With Xanax I feel like I can take it when I need it and put it down the next day if I don't. Unlike the other antidepressants that cause brain zaps or worse side effects, feelings of a rollercoaster coming down.”

RexuallElam · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 16, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam): “I had always heard the negative jargon of Xanax, and was afraid to take it because I was afraid I would be addicted and unable to control it. Eventually things were to tough and I was in one of the darkest points of my life. So I broke down and talk with my doctor about giving it a try. It totally changed my life. It helped me to focus more at work. It helped manage my anxiety so my mind could rest and I could sleep. I could see how this medication could be misused it's important to take as prescribed.”

Bushygoodness March 15, 2016

Xanax (alprazolam): “If I could rate Xanax higher I would, this is without a doubt the most effective medication I've ever taken for anxiety, and fast acting. I've always dealt with the public speaking anxiety since high school. I'm 29, healthy and active and have never been depressed so that's why I've been reluctant about SSRI's. My GP prescribed Celxa, went up to 20mg and it was a nightmare, had panic attacks and very vivid intrusive thoughts. My GP switched to lexapro @10mg and I still get panic attacks. If I get a panic attack I take a .50mg of Xanax and it takes like 15 min to kick in and I feel great - I hate SSRI's and wish Xanax was a daily med.”

Wayne George · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2014

Xanax (alprazolam): “I was prescribed Xanax because my half brother died and I could not cope with it alone on just taking Pristiq for depression. Taking both of these medicines has really reduced my depression tremendously to where it only affects me a little now and not so many days in a row. I'd really like to stay on Xanax with my other antidepressant medication Pristiq 100mg because its helping a lot!”

AlprazolamWizard November 30, 2012

Xanax (alprazolam): “I am prescribed 45 2MG Tablets a month (brand name) I take a half 3 times a day, and am also prescribed 90 1mg Klonopin a month - morning, afternoon and night. While the Klonopin seems to aid in keeping the panic/anxiety at bay and keeping me calm and relaxed, the Xanax is the real 1-2 punch to panic attacks and anxiety; it takes all my sadness and depression away and allows me to think about all the amazing things I am working on NOT as a chore or as work, but as creative idea. Being prescribed 2 Benzo's is 'odd' practice like Klonopin 3 times a day with a fast acting Xanax. ”

Anna3529 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2017

Xanax (alprazolam): “I've started to take Xanax 3 months ago, 0.25 then 0.5mg a day. Experienced a rapid heartbeat at first, but chose to give it a chance anyway and after 2 weeks it was back to normal. Now I take Xanax 0.5 and Bupropion 300mg a day for my depression and anxiety. I can tell it really has changed my life so far, I can feel joy or calmness again (before I couldn't at all). I hope to get back to normal soon. Can't even describe how I'm glad I've started to take these medications. Although I know many people have severe side effects, the thing is - it's very individual, you have to try and find a medicine that works best for you. Many people take Prozac, but I almost died when took it - side effects were terrible, I even experienced hallucinations.”