User Reviews for Fosamax

Fosamax has an average rating of 2.4 out of 10 from a total of 47 ratings on Drugs.com. 14% of those users who reviewed Fosamax reported a positive effect, while 84% reported a negative effect.

Prevention of Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis
2.2
Summary of Fosamax reviews 2.4 47 reviews

Reviews for Fosamax

Tooth March 3, 2021

For Osteoporosis: “I was put on this med and within one month my teeth started to fall out in a slow sad way, my pain became worse as well as my body muscles deteriorated, but I kept taking this medication, why?”

redsox · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Prescribed Fosomax and took only ONE weekly pill and after 2 days I felt deep bone pain in my thigh, like drop you in your tracks pain. For 3 days after I truly thought I would have a thigh fracture - so I quit. Going the supplement route so we will see. If it works for you great-not for me.”

Fred · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “After taking Fosamax for two months I started experiencing terrible indigestion, GERD, stomach pain and intestinal swelling. It felt like I was 8 months pregnant. My doctor told me to stop. 6 months later the symptoms have eased but still present. I fear it has given me gastric ulcers.”

Jenjen · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Doctor prescribed Fosamax for my osteoporosis to be taken once a week. Started taking it and after second dose my legs felt like lead and I felt irritable and depressed. Persisted for another 3 weeks until I developed terrible skin rash and weeping sores. Saw my doctor who took me off Fosamax immediately. I will continue with Calcium and Vitamin D3 and continue to exercise and eat healthy. Side effects of Fosamax are not worth the risk.”

Anjanetta · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I reluctantly began Fosamax due to my worsening osteopenia. I was fine after the first dose last week, no side effects at all. However, after this weeks dose, I’ve had a SEVERE pain in my chest. It’s been 4 days since I’ve taken it and I still can’t eat because it hurts so much to swallow. Not to mention the nausea. I can only sip water and even that hurts going down. I’m taking a generic pepcid and rolaids to help with this unbearable indigestion. I’m praying this drug hasn’t done permanent damage to my esophagus. This drug should be taken off the market.”

Tropico · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Used it twice. Stopped taking it. I can't recommend it. My doctor prescribed it because I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. First dose was very bad. Diarrhea, stomach pain like ulcers, very tired. Second dose was even worse. Diarrhea SEVERE stomach cramps, I thought of going to the hospital. Joint pains in my ankle and knee. Do NOT use if you have any stomach problems. It feels like it is damaging, eating the stomach lining. Very scary experience.”

Sis · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Have resisted alendronate sodium for years, but finally gave in. Took, I think, 5 doses (once a week). After last dose had such severe pain in hip, leg, knee, most of right side -- the worst pain I have ever had, and I have had two babies and two hip replacements. Blood work, urine work and x-rays revealed nothing serious. Two weeks later, I am a little better on strong pain meds. Could not sit or stand up without crying out in pain. Am hoping to have full recovery. BTW I am the one who realized the connection and told my doctor, not the other way around. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone!”

Sandy September 16, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “Last year I had a DEXA and was told I had full blown osteoporosis. It was so advanced that my doctor told me to participate in no activity, such a skiing, that could be me at risk for a fracture. She more than strongly recommended that I start Fosamax. Reluctantly, I started it, knowing the potential of all the terrible side effects. I also committed that I would do a 30 minute resistance band work out 3 times a week. I experienced no side effects, that I am aware of. So one year later, I had another DEXA scan. I am thrilled to say that I am no longer in osteoporosis but rather am in the osteopenia range or normal. My density improvement ranged up to a 23% improvement. I am going to continue taking it for at least another year because I would love to see if I could improve my density further. I am eager to stop as the jaw bone issues scare me to death but want to give it just a bit more time to make a difference.”

Sijai · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2013

For Osteoporosis: “When I first started this there were little, small side effects. I figured over time I would get used to the side effects and thus deal with them. Instead the side effects became intolerable. I would test the med by taking it while I was feeling well. I still had several side effects. Finally the last time I took this the side effects me sick for two full days. Terrible upset stomach, extreme gas and bloating. Worse aches and pains, unable to sleep even with sleep medication. The verge of vomiting at any moment, very dizzy. Extreme bone pain. Several other situations happened with the last dose.”

Cillagirl · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “First dose I felt achy and joint pain but it went away in a few days. Second dose my joints hurt so bad I could hardly move. I stop taking them after the second dose. It has been two weeks and my bones and joints hurt so bad. Why is this still prescribed? It is horrible. I had no joint pain before taking this.”

Purplenurse · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “Started fosamax this weekly medication. Took 3 doses and stopped after 3rd because of severe pain, swelling and decreased range of motion in wrists and right elbow. Startling side effects - (never have side effects), I would not recommend this medication to anyone. Ever.”

Tayloranne · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2014

For Osteoporosis: “I was on Daily Fosamax about 5 years ago. I had severe GERD and stopped taking it. I used calcium supplements and in those years I didn't have much change. Recently after a scan, it showed that I had bone loss so I went to the weekly Fosamax. I took it in the morning and by that evening, I had severe backache and muscle ache that got worse. Then I had horrible bloating. I could hardly walk with the pain. I called my pharmacist and they told me that I need to contact my doctor and to stop taking the medication. They told me that the side effect symptoms might take up to 7 months to go away. I can not function. I will contact my doctor to see what he has planned. I would like to just take calcium and vitamin D regularly.”

Natalir · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I took Two weekly doses of Fosamax then stopped because of side effects. Rapid weight gain, acute abdominal distinction (like I’m 7 months pregnant), aching back, aching hips, fatigue and random itching. Been off it for a month and side effects have not abated at all. It’s like I woke up and suddenly aged an extra 30 years overnight. Hope the side effects go away soon.”

Susan · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “My rheumatologist prescribed Fosamax to me in summer 2018. I carefully followed the directions when I took the first pill. I was barely able to sleep the first 2 nights. I then began to feel achy, like I was coming down with the flu. It hurt to move. I was miserable and let the doctor know. He had me take calcium and vitamin D for 2 weeks before taking the 2nd dose. After the 2nd pill I again felt miserable and deep-down achy. It is possible for bones to hurt? I felt like I was walking with lead boots on. My body obviously does not tolerate this drug at all.”

ARhoHo · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I started on Fosamax in mid-July 2020 and after the third dose, two mornings later my left wrist was swollen to the size of a baseball! I discontinued the Fosamax since I believed it was the cause. My family doc didn't think so, but I saw a rheumatologist who concurred with me. He thought Fosamax caused the swelling. I'm now trying Actonel. I hope I have better luck with it.”

Not happy March 13, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “Took Fosamax for 4 months and go terrible side effects such as pain in my knees, in my hips, shin, foot. Th pain is not always in the same place. Could not sleep anymore. Painkillers did not help. Got so bad that I hardly could walk. Stopped taking Fosamax and slowly I am feeling better”

No to fosamax February 21, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “I agree all drugs have side effects but fosamax is dangerous. My mom has been taking it since last 2 weeks and from that time she has been having all sorts of pain, discomfort which she never had before. Doctor said they will eventually go away but she ended up hospitalized with severe pain in jaw, chest, neck , in short every where. I don't know why this medicine is even in the market.”

Susie Q · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I’ve been on fosamax for 3 weeks, taking it once a week, on a Sunday. The first week I was constipated, bloating. That lasted most of the week. I started my second round on Sunday, Monday afternoon I started having joint and muscle pain. By late in the afternoon my knees were swollen and I had difficulty walking and climbing 2-3 stairs. By Thursday I was feeling back to normal. This past Sunday I took my third pill, the next day I had joint and muscle pain, flue like symptoms, headache, nausea, fever, chills. I’ve decided to stop the medication and take coral calcium and a vitamin D supplement.”

Anonymous October 6, 2011

For Osteoporosis: “I was diagnosed with osteopenia in 2000 and took Fosamax for 9 years. My bone density showed slight improvement after 3 years, but still in the osteopenia range. One year later, no improvement. I am grateful to have my bone density fairly stable, but am disappointed to not have had improvement after 9 years. ”

Nitro 1 June 10, 2015

For Osteoporosis: “MD prescribed Fosamax. Took first dose and two day later woke up with a severe headache, boating, gas and terrible nausea. By the time I got home from work I had severe back pain, joint pain and headache. The boating was almost intolerable. The next day, nausea was worse and the headache continued with no relief even after OTC pain med. I will take Calcium and Vitamin D instead.”

Walker · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

For Osteoporosis: “I was on fosamax for 3 months and everything was fine until I started getting pressure in my chest, had EKG, chest X-ray, everything was fine but pressure was still there, stopped it immediately after talking to pharmacist and that was one of the serious side effect, it’s been 4 weeks I have been off it and still have chest pressure which can take a few more months or longer to go away. I WOULD NEVER TAKE THIS AGAIN”

Anonymous April 10, 2017

For Osteoporosis: “Unfortunately, after being on Fosamax for 2 years, experienced all the typical reported side effects from other users. Thought, ok need to deal with that, if it is going to help my osteoporosis. Well, to my surprise, bent over to pick up a hose and my entire leg went out right from underneath me just like that, I had fractured my femur. Have an 18 inch rod in my leg with a 4 1/2 inch Home Depot screw in my hip. That was just the start of it. Have had 5 fractures since in 2 years. Had 1 shot of Prolia (insurance requirements) now on Forteo, once a day injections, don't care, hope that will bring some improvement for a better quality of life.”

Anonymous June 25, 2011

For Osteoporosis: “My bone density improved while taking Fosamax. However, I had nausea, intense heartburn, gained 20 pounds, and had to start taking prescription stomach medications due to gastric problems. Finally, I stopped taking it, lost 20 pounds, felt much better and could eat again, but my doctor is now telling me I have lost significant bone mass since stopping this medication. Will now try Atelvia with calcium supplements.”

donner July 11, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “I was put on fosamax once a week pill doctor said it would take 2 years to find out whether it was working or not. I stopped taking it after almost 1 full year I would take it on Wednesdays and my legs would ache so bad that I could hardly walk the stairs, those aches would last just about the whole time before the next pill I couldn't take it anymore.”

Peaches1965 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2013

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Started taking June 2013, once a week. 4 weeks into taking started having headaches but didn't connect the dots. Then started having severe sharp pain in back and upper right behind rib cage. Pain so severe, went to ER, where they didn't know the cause (had my gallbladder removed 18 yrs ago). Finally spoke to my primary and the connection was made.”

PhilliesPhan · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2019

For Osteoporosis: “I took Fosamax weekly for 2-1/2 years with great improvement in my DEXA scores. Suddenly had bad chest pain, spasm, and heartburn, diagnosed as GERD. After 2 months on PPI therapy, my nephrologist told me to stop Fosamax as that was to blame. My PCP, rheumatologist (who prescribed Fosamax for me), and GI doctor didn’t make the connection.”

Bite me 09 March 6, 2017

For Prevention of Osteoporosis: “Honestly the worst medicine ever. People who invented should be sued. I mean what we're they thinking????? It sent my mom to ER after 3 days and she was admitted for 8 days in hospital. She is still recovering. It will give you tons of pain all over your body, head, jaw, and more. It will make you unstable. I mean seriously the inventor of this medicine should be cursed the rest of his or her life. ”

Susie · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 5, 2018

For Osteoporosis: “Took fosamax for brief time 8 yrs ago. Had to have tooth pulled and root canal. Developed NICO (Neuralgia-Inducing Cavitational Osteonecrosis) Jaw bone disease. Had surgery to scrape out dead bone and donor cells put in. Worse pain ever. Now it's been 8 yrs. of terrific burning pain. No Dr. Or dentist can help. Pain meds do nothing. Now I have full blow OP. They are pushing me to take these terrible drugs. I already have the worse side affects. Do i? No! Please if anyone had this let me know. Good luck.”