User Reviews for Proventil HFA

Proventil HFA has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Asthma, acute
Asthma, Maintenance
3.7
COPD, Maintenance
Summary of Proventil HFA reviews 5.5 10 reviews

Reviews for Proventil HFA

ssdfgh July 31, 2011

For Asthma, acute: “I have allergy-induced asthma, not true asthma. (sometimes my allergies and sinuses get so bad I get asthma attacks"). My allergy doctor prescribed Proventil HFA to me last year and though I don't use it often, it has helped when I needed it. Only one downfall, it makes me SO jittery. This is a common side effect because you're basically getting a shot of adrenaline in each puff. I find it's best to walk/move around a little after taking it to help wear off the jitters. Because of this side effect, I only use it when I really need it.”

kukuna · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2013

For Asthma, acute: “Every year for almost 10 years I had been experiencing severe brochitis, and 3 times it had turned into pneumonia. The only reason it did not result in hospitalization was because I protested. I did have to go back to the hospital for Albuterol treatments each time. Once I started using the Proventil FHA inhaler I noticed I was able to take deep breaths and not experience discomfort, and as of about 6 weeks ago, all the wheezing I had been experiencing had completely disappeared. I would recommend this product for any bronchial and asthmatic condition.”

PerryPuff · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2019

For Asthma, acute: “Proventil doesn’t work for me and my asthma. For some reason my insurance switched this from Ventolin which worked great. With Proventil I get a shot of medication right to the back of my tongue, it sprays terribly, which means it did not make it into my lungs at all. What’s the point?”

JZRA96 April 3, 2009

For COPD, Maintenance: “Asthma, COPD. I love this inhaler. It works well and I use it less often than other inhalers I have used in the past. I have had asthma for over 20 years. I was using another inhaler when the FDA changed it due to enviromental concerns about the propellents used. The inhaler the pharmacy replaced it with was very "wet" and seemed weak and that it stayed mainly in my mouth. It was actually the pharmacist who suggested Proventil HFA because I mentioned I prefer the "dryer" delivery of albuterol.”

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2019

For COPD, Maintenance: “Most of the time my newest Proventil inhalers do not give a puff if needed about half the time. Used it for years with no problems. Now malfunctioning inhalers are so prevalent , I have three wasted in my med drawer. Will ask for new med to replace proventil.”

Day Day August 15, 2018

For Asthma, acute: “Unfortunately I have to decline. I don’t like Proventil at all!!!! I used just about every HFA inhaler that you can think of. ProAir, Quar, Ventolin & Proventil . And I must say out of all of those that I listed, I like Ventolin the most! It actually does the JOB! ProAir is too soft & in my opinion, doesn’t really do the job. You basically have to take more than 4 puffs for it to work. Quar is okay. Proventil makes my chest feel tight & I get crazy chest pains. When I breathe in & out it hurts & I feel like it didn’t really do it’s job. The whole purpose is to rescue me from an asthma attack. But in fact, it makes the breathing a lil more difficult and gives me crazy chest pain. I never experienced this with Ventolin. And FYI I have Allergy Asthma. I hope I’m saying it right ”

DHG · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2021

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I have used Ventolin for years to good effect with just a single puff. No problems. I was recently switched to the generic form, yellow container with an orange cap, and it is truly awful! The spray is very, very weak and ineffective, even with two puffs. It also has a strong chemical taste/odor. I don't even know why they put it on the market. Luckily my doc has switched me back to Ventolin.”

vonjon August 7, 2009

For COPD, Maintenance: “I have found this medication to work very well when I feel tight and have shortness of breath. My prescription calls for use every 6 hours but I use it when I feel I need to breath better.”

Anonymous March 3, 2012

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Since I have been on Pro-Air I haven't been experiencing shortness of breath as much and it has helped my chronic bronchitis as well”

Poor dose delivery · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 25, 2018

For Asthma, Maintenance: “I bought a very good scale and measured the canister before and after dosages. The weights varied by 40%.”

Anonymous April 16, 2010

“This helped me very much. I have had a few side effects but other than that, my asthma didn't bother me much.”