User Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

Humira Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 306 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira

prv · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

“My Father went on Humira for rheumatoid arthritis. He was diagnosed with non Hodgkins lymphoma 6 months later and his rheumatolgist took him off Humira immediately. His rheumatologist admitted that Humira caused the Lymphoma. My father died a few months later. There is a black box warning that Humira may cause Lymphoma. This drug should be taken off the market! I tried calling the FDA and sent letters and information. No Response from the FDA!”

George from Andover · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 28, 2019

“Went on Humira in 2004 for 8 years, no side effects. RA went into remission for 4-5 years. Went back on it in July 2019 along with methotrexate. Worked for roughly 10 days at biweekly dose. Recently started weekly, hope to wean off the methotrexate. I apply ice to the injection site for 10 mins after. Headache after, gone the next morning”

Regretable · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“I've had RA, after a bout of health issues, and finding out I had Pulmonary Fibrosis (PF), from unknown causes. I guess the shock and complications from a lung biopsy pushed my body over the edge. I was started on Prednisone and Sulfasalazine, but got minimal relief. Due to the PF, doctors were reluctant to try biological drugs. I did try Orencia, but had side effects. Was placed on Enbrel, but no Relief. I finally got Humira. I took the first dose and felt strange the next day; panicked. By the next day my life was in utter chaos! I did find that if you're on Benzos, it blocks them, so I was in total withdrawal!!! I had to research that one. 4 weeks later I'm dealing with horrible headaches, depression, vertigo, tinnitus...I just pray this med gets out of my system soon! I read it may take 88-98 days to clear! Never again! No more Biological meds! Prayers for all who are suffering!”

DeeDee September 14, 2019

“I've been on Humira for 4 months now and the wide spread of pain and respiratory symptoms have been a nightmare. My rheumatologist stopped the Humira because she too had never seen such a bad reaction.”

Jodi H. · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2019

“I was diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) about 4 years ago and my rheumatologist started me on Xeljanz and it was a miracle drug. I was 100% pain free. Unfortunately after a few years it wasn’t working anymore and she decided to start me on Humira and Methotrexate which isn’t doing anything for me. I’ve been on the Humira and Methotrexate for about 2 months now and I’m so discouraged because I’m not getting any relief at all. My feet are swollen, burning, and I can hardly walk. I think I’m going to continue this for another month and if nothing I’m going to talk to my doctor about a different medication.”

Bosh · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2019

“Diagnosed with RA at 22yrs. Started with Plaquenil, it helped for a year then we added methotrexate. Took some time to get the dose right due to nausea. That combo helped for about 2 years. Then added Enbrel. Added Meloxicam. Prednisone as needed for the worst flareups. After serious ulcers I stopped the meloxicam and prednisone as they both increase changes of getting ulcers. Enbrel only worked for 1.5yrs. Just switched to Humira, still taking plaquenil and methotrexate. I prefer the syringes to the pens. Some relief in the first week, hoping it works for more than a year or two. Many illnesses due to the compromised immune system, and extreme fatigue, but my RA is so severe I am fully disabled without these meds. I hope I can find one that will last a little longer. With the Humira support card, I have not had to pay for this drug.”

Lindy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 24, 2019

“HUMIRA has worked great for 4 years. Dr prescribed New Citrate free HUMIRA, been on it for 2 1/2 months. My hands are weak again, my feet hurt/burn again, I’m tired and cold all the time. I’m calling Dr to ask for script for original humira. I’ll take the little pain of original over the not helping citrate free.”

VRP · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 4, 2019

“My Father started Humira and within 7 months was diagnosed with Lymphoma (cancer). He had an abdominal CT prior to starting Humira and there was no growth or mass. A CT scan was done 7 months after starting Humira and he had a massive abdominal growth and diagnosed with Large B Cell diffuse Lymphoma. His Rheumotologist and Oncologist both said to stop the Humira immediately and his Lymphoma was caused by Humira. He is currently on Hospice. Please be advised that Humira absolutely does cause Lymphoma in many people and is a dangerous medication.”

Gogo · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2019

“It seems like it is helping! When I tried to cut down to an injection once every three weeks my symptoms seemed to increase. Consequently, I went back to injecting once every two weeks. I am also on leflunomide, Low dose naltrexone And eat healthy.”

Howard · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2019

“I had sudden onset acute rheumatoid arthritis at age 58. Severe pain, swelling, unable to work or do much of anything. Rheumatologist put me on Humira after trying various other therapies. Was taking Methotrexate, but that started causing chest pain. The Humira was like magic for a while - the pain was much diminished. I was able to go back to work and resume very active lifestyle. After about 1 1/2 years, the side effects started. Rash at first, then a plaque-like rash with sloughing skin (which is still spreading) on my head, hands. Then boils started - very large, very slow to heal. I have to stop taking it - it is killing my immune system. Really not sure how much damage has been done to my body from this drug. There are significant risks to this drug.”

CB January 28, 2019

“18 yrs old; diagnosed with JRA in Jan. 2018. Take 6 pills of Methotrexate every week, one Humira shot every 2 weeks. Not the healthiest eater, notice when I do eat healthy major differences in effects. Take medications every Saturday night to sleep off pain. When I didn't care about diet I felt extreme effects of a headache and pain in the stomach. Noticed that if I eat a lot of food that day my effects aren't bad. Watch your diet !! With Humira the first few months I noticed pain went away. Was so happy, now I think that it isn't helping anymore. Feet still ache because of cold weather but the first few months I had no pain. I read reviews and the mention of tinnitus comes a lot. I thought ears may ring/hum because wearing earbuds but starting to believe that it may be caused by Humira. My doc told me I may need to take another med or Humira every week. After one year I shouldn't be given more medication but instead see improvements.”

Harry · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2019

“This drug had many painful side effects. My doctor took me off this medication.”

Red · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 11, 2019

“Diagnosed RA 2012 tried many meds then prescribed Humira. Worked well for RA but everyday I was getting weaker and weaker. Caused my vitamin d deficiency and also Mono. To top it all I now have lymphoma. Please watch your vitamin d levels. Also I have kidney stones. Tough go trying to get just comfortable.”

Annie · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 1974. I was then 24 years old. Over the years I have been prescribed many different medications - various anti-inflammatory tablets, gold injections, Arava, Methotrexate etc. I have also had surgery on my hands, elbows, feet and a replacement knee. I had many bad periods with pain, swelling and stiffness - all the symptoms that are so well known to arthritis sufferers. But I had some good years also when I was able to go to work. In 2007, after a severe flare up, I was prescribed Humira, 40mg every two weeks. The results are amazing. I haven’t had a flare up since I started using Humira. And apart from a bladder infection, quite rarely, I have had no problems. This year, now 2019, I will be on Humira 12 years and I think it is very good.”

UC RA alphabet soup · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 24, 2018

“2015 diagnosis of UC & RA. Methotrexate was silently killing my liver. Canasa is a waste of time except at night during a flare. Sulfasalazine & Humira combo is working. No rashes. Skipped 2 doses when I had a cold. Humira has a half life of 82 days and took 90 days to begin working. I swim 2/3 days a week with Masters, my BP good. Exercise is difficult but work well with the meds. Took trazadone for the first year for anxiety. Overall Humira seems good but there are other choices”

Gulliver · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2018

“I was using Humira in conjunction with Methotrexate. Both meds were working marvellously, but out of the blue I became sick after each dose of both medications. RA dr took me off the Methotrexate, and it was awhile before restarting Humira. I’ve had 3 injections with no signs of relief, which was significantly different from before. Very discouraged & scared.”

Minette · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2018

“Absolutely terrible drug!!! Felt worse than ever so many side effects, but rheumatologist kept adding anti inflammatories. Then prednisone, then Targin plus tablets to protect my stomach. Back pains put me in hospital and she still wouldn't do anything. Kept telling I have to wait three months. Injections stung bad and bruised badly. Not even worth one star, don’t bother with this toxic drug.”

EG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 17, 2018

“I've been on Humira nearly a year now (I use the self-inject pens) for RA. Previously I'd been on Prednisone, which helped the pain but had horrible side effects, and methotrexate, which didn't help and had horrible side effects. Humira has been a life safer. The shot itself definitely stings, especially in the thigh, but I went from constant pain, a severe limp, and inability to do much of anything to basically a slightly less flexible but otherwise normal able-bodied person. No side effects have yet appeared. I don't know how I managed without it for so long. It's not cheap, but if you make under a certain yearly income and you call the company, they'll work with you to make if affordable.”

Rebecca April 3, 2018

“My Dad took this medicine and he actually died. I know you won't publish this. ”

sandy sunshine January 30, 2018

“I got a rare form of tuberculosis after injections after two years ..It took 1 year to clear up..Tried 3 meds before finally clearing up infection.”

CorvetteBri January 27, 2018

“I was diagnosed with RA 12 years ago at age 57. Was put on Arava with Diclofenac, Plaqunil, and Prednisone. What a combo! Became in-effective after a couple years. Reumy put me on Humira - BEST thing that could have happened to me. Worked wonders and I had no side effects to speak of. 6 years ago I was taken off everything, as I had gone into COMPLETE REMISSION! I remained symptom and pain free until about 3 months ago, when my pain and symptoms re-appeared. My doctor had retired in the mean time, and my new doctor will not put me on Humira. Instead I'm on methotrexate, which makes me feel dizzy, headaches, and I now have anemia. I will be seeking a new doctor who will put me back on Humira! It works!!”

RA female 60. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 12, 2017

“Thought this was my miracle cure for extreme RA. Nothing else seemed to work and was having trouble walking and functioning. One shot and things started returning to normal, it was wonderful to have no pain. Until the first round of A FIB. Hospitalized, then atrial flutter. Hospitalized. Then the fainting and rapid heartbeat...220! Hospitalized. Woke up one night and could not breathe...diagnosed with pneumonia. Hospitalised. The pulmonologist revised diagnosis to pulmonary fibrosis with scarring on lungs. 5 months later, still coughing and using nebulizer. Stopped this medicine and can breathe again. RA returned, but I'm alive. Stay away from Humira.”

traveler145 · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2017

“The drug did not work for me. I felt I was about to have a heart attack. I thought I was going to die. I was ready to call 911. I didn't realize it could have such an adverse effect on you. The doctor prescribed another drug which worked much better without giving me the feeling of an oncoming heart attack.”

Not Good Experience yet · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 28, 2017

“RA and UC. Injection is awful, painful and leaves horrific rash and brusing. On Humira RA has not improved in fact gotten worse. Literally had to get a depo and toradal injection today for bad inflammation and excruciating joint pain. The nausea is beyond manageable, and the headaches! Side effects are killing me. I really wish I could upload pics of my injection sites.”

Jim Ed September 26, 2017

“I have been taking Humira for four years. Before starting I had severe RA pain in different joints most of the time and RA flare ups left me very debilitated. Humira began to work within the first two months. I take the injection every 10 days. I currently have no RA pain, experience no flare ups and have no side effects. It has been a wonder drug for me.”

Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)