User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 377 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"After shot #1 I felt great. After shot # 2 I felt like I was having an RA flare. The night of shot #3 I felt like I might have the start of the flu. Within 2 days I had high fever, chills, teeth chattering. All my joints were in extreme pain, could not stand, felt dehydrated. Could hear my heart beat and blood whooshing in my ears. If this happens to you call 911. I took several Vitamin C & my husband helped me drink water while waiting for ambulance. I had blood poisoning due to an infected tooth ( did not realize I had a tooth problem until I was violently sick ) Your Dr will try to convince you to take these shots. Abbvie the makers of humira are marketing this to stock brokers. I think my dr. Must own stock in Abbvie / Humira. Beware!"

Rheumatoid 20 years (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

"I would never take this drug again and I would encourage you to never take this drug. The side effects were terrible."

James1000 November 23, 2016

"Has anyone suffered masses in esophagus, choking on food, severe coughing fits, and hard to catch your breath while on Humari? Any feed back is greatly appreciated"

MaciBelle November 15, 2016

"I was initially put on Humira a couple years ago for my RA, after a failed attempt with using Enbrel and Methotrexate to treat my constantly inflamed and achy joints. I am pleased to report that with only 6 or so months with using Humira, it launched me into an incredible 2 year remission where I was completely pain free and had my life back. I knew it would be short lived, about 2 months ago some of the aches and inflammation started to come back. I told my Rheumy I wanted back on Humira so she gave me an injection and I took it last week. The arthritis was getting nasty before taking the injection and literally within not even 24 hours of my first injection, SYMPTOMS WERE GONE!! Humira works quickly and effectively!!"

Kim7171 October 21, 2016

"I started Humira injectable twice a week in conjunction with Methrotexate and Mobic since March of this year with no side effects, but no felt benefits either. I had to stop due to surgery and restarted once weekly three weeks ago and been having severe joint pain since I restarted Humira requiring a short course of cortisone. Resume Mobic a week ago. Joint pain continues and just haven't felt myself since I started Humira. The pain wakes me up at night and I am just miserable. This is no quality of life. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it is a comfort to know other people understand your symptoms and that you are not alone! I don't think this is the best medicine for me. :("

RA Fighter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2016

"I have severe RA plus Psoriatic Arthritis plus Asthma plus osteoarthritis plus osteoporosis and I just turned 60. I have severe allergies to anti inflammatories and have had my RA for 30 years. Right now I am on Humara ( can't take methotrexate) and have been for 10 years. Humara really helped at one time but just doesn't work for me anymore. I am in an intense flair that just won't stop we tried Xeljan but my sensitive stomach said no more. I was glad to use the Humara even if I did hold my breath when it came to side effects, nothing major happened but I miss my thick hair."

Ndn September 19, 2016

"My mother was taking this drug twice monthly. She had been on it once before for aut 2 years and had great results. She had to stop because of an operation. Later on her arthritis caused so much pain and she requested this medicine again. She took it again for 3 months and was so happy to be able to get around. She then got scratched by her dog, took the shot and by the next morning she had a 104 fever and infection spread throughout her body. She went into a coma state and never came out of it. She died from septic shock 6 days later. Use with extreme caution. Do not use if you even get a scratch or sore as it lowers your immune system and may cause death from an infection."

Anonymous August 27, 2016

"I've had JRA since I was 2 years old. I started Humira 5 years ago. Worked great. Called it my miracle drug. Just this week I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I suggest staying away from this product."

Hard to believe (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

""I've been taking humira for over 8 years for severe rheumatoid arthritis. One 40 mg pen shot every 2 weeks. It's worked wonders on my arthritis. I love it cause no methotrexate Or plaquenil . Some side effects like cold sores like three times a year. After all this years, its effects started to slow down, so my Dr switch me to another new drug Xeli and OMG suffered horrible side effects. I went back to my Dr who got me back on Humira. Again, My life is back to almost normal and when pain kind of appears I take prednisone 5mg for around a week that stops it. I won't leave Humira at less it doesn't work that all. The other drug that I took by mouth everyday for three months almost destroyed my stomach. This is inyected every two weeks."

FamG August 1, 2016

"Denny 56, very happy to hear it is helping you and your doing better.From my experience please watch your breathing and night sweats very closely.Get checked out asap if these happen to you.This is how all my problems started.Just trying to help with a heads up on this, and I hope it works out for you. Another 50 something male with RA."

Hum no (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"I had exactly the same thing happen to me as jayall and jall did.No breathing problems or skin problems prior, but on my seventh injection I got deathly ill with pneumonia,2 weeks in hospital with different antibiotics and antifungal. Had lung fluid drained , now have scar tissue and copd and psoriasis.Was and still on methotrexate and plaqunil and Orencia IV now.Joint pain not better after six months IV ,just upped IV dosage hoping for some relief. Humira Made things extremely worse for me but may work for others."

Hum no (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

"For Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was diagnosed since 2011, nothing works well. Till I am allowed Humira 40MG. pen + 20 mg. of Methotrexate every 2 weeks. Humira works over night, none of the side effects. I am back to my perfect self again. Now I am waiting for another shoe to drop; medications stop working, insurance stop covering, liver funk out etc."

imjustagirl June 10, 2016

"I've been taking humira for two years for severe rheumatoid arthritis. One 40 mg shot a week. It's worked wonders on my arthritis. I also take 15 mg methotrexate once a week. No side effects except for extreme mood swings from extreme anger to laughing so hard I'd be in tears. I thought I was going crazy until I saw comments from other people taking humira with similar side effects. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences .I'm not nuts after all."

Anonymous May 27, 2016

"I was put on to Humira after trying DMARDs that just wouldn't control my RA which went to being severe in a very short space of time from first diagnosis. I have now been on the drug together with 10mg methotraxate for 2 years and haven't looked back. When I think back to being in so much pain that I couldn't get out of bed and had to have my husband help me climb the stairs there is no comparison. Now I exercise 3 times a week and am able to work without being constantly off ill. I did take shingles last year which wasn't very pleasant but other than that I haven't had any other side effects thankfully. I feel like I've been given my life back."

Humira lifesaver May 6, 2016

"Using for a bout a year a fight to get it due to the cost. It's swings and roundabouts and at least I can work now but think I have become more argumentative. I think if I was a bit older I would not take it. Any one looking to take it don't let anyone put you off its different for everyone. P.S when my consultant said one of the side effects was hair loss think she was joking with me because last time I had a hair cut was in the 90's!"

Ashburton646 May 5, 2016

"I've been humira for around six months. Here lately I've noticed a rash that itches super bad. It started on my face where my left side of face was swollen and hard with itching bad. Please if anyone has had this happen please let me know. 4/17/16."

Melaynie wells April 19, 2016

"I started taking Humira after the Methotrexate became in-effective. I WOULD NEVER TAKE THIS HUMIRA AGAIN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. It began with headaches, which got worse every time I took the Humira. My energy level went down to nothing, and it did not help my RA at all. NOW, this drug has given me severe Eczema on my hands, feet, underarms, crotch and in my ear canals. I have never been so miserable in my entire life. They can't help the eczema at all. I have gone off Humira for over 2 months, I'm flaring, and I still have the eczema. They tell me I might have it for life. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I'd rather have RA pain, then all these debilitating side effects. Funny, they never said a word about any of this."

Humirahater March 18, 2016

"2006 tested positive for R.A with low symptoms. Started with methotrexate for 8 years along with 1 tablet of folic acid - no problems. Sept 2014 R.A. advances to severe symptoms and specialist removes medication due to effecting the liver. Primary doctor suggests using Embrel. Used it for 6 months - no improvement. Switch to Humira and worked for one month. Severe symptoms are in feet, hands and neck. Inflammation are the main reasons that these areas are effected more often. Hopefully the is something else in pill form. Shots are painful and do nothing for me."

UTEP February 17, 2016

"RA for 10 yrs, injecting 25mg of MTX for couple of years after having too many s/effects on oral MTX. Then getting flares and not well controlled on MTX so started on Humira, injected fortnightly and remaining on MTX. No major side effects. But not benefit. Nothing. Nada. No relief from symptoms at all. Rheumatologist took me off it and now probably going to start on Enbrel. Apparently I sit in the 1/3 of people for whom there is no benefit. Hoping Embrel will work because I'm over it. It's no life."

Samantha66 January 22, 2016

"At 23 my RA got so bad that walking & lifting my hands over my head was enough to make me wince in pain. Doc prescribed me Humira, and my pain went away overnight (literally). I continued taking it for a year, and I haven't had a single notable flare-up since the first injection. I still get random SMALL aches but they're completely forgetabble. Can't say the list of long-term side effects don't scare me. So since I feel 100%, I've decided I no longer want it. Have actually been off the med for about 6 months now and not a single flare-up. Doc pressured me to mix it with Methotrexate, but I'm not a human test subject so that ain't happening. Doctors, please listen to your patients. If they feel great, don't force MORE meds on them."

Took it for RA for a year. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am a 57 year old female, diagnosed with RA 29 years ago. I took Enbrel for 9 years, but began to have more frequent flares, so my rheumatologist switched me to Humira. I took the first injection 20 days ago and felt great until day 12, when I developed severe flu-like symptoms, with aches and pains and had a significant rash over my entire body and face. It was like having a major RA flare plus an itchy rash and headache at the same time. I was prescribed a six-day dose of prednisone and 24 hour a day Benadryl. I had little improvement three days latter and received a steroid shot which was three days ago. Four days later, I still have significant overall weakness, a major headache and injection site reaction from the initial and last injection."

Kimberli Jeffers (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"In my case it has slowed down the RA but it has not been a cure all. Burns like hades for about 3-5 minuts after the injection. Started on Orencia, then Cimzia, now Humira. Also on Arava as I do not tolerate MT well."

Fordownr (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2015

"Began experiencing rheumatoid arthritis in Spring of 2014. Was put on methotrexate and Humira. The arthritis was affecting my wrists, hands and fingers with severe pain, with some additional pain to both knees, ankles, feet and toes. At 52 years of age the debilitating pain was not acceptable. Almost immediate relief from pain was achieved with these medications, but the side effects began. Yeast infections, skin rashes, etc. Quit both meds in December 2014. The severe pain in both hands has returned. Have an appointment in January 2016 with a new rheumatologist for a second opinion for treatment. For those with allergies and sinus infections, try eating some raw local honey each day. Eating honey has taken headaches away for me."

In pain and not liking it November 30, 2015

"I was on HUMIRA for three years after 14 years of methotrexate and a mix of other non biological meds. HUMIRA was brilliant however it has recently stopped working so well and my specialist is changing me to another anti TNF biologic. I'm really sad and sorry to leave my humira behind, it gave me a great three years, the best I've had since I first got RA. Will wait to see what the new MED is like, fingers crossed."

Macza November 10, 2015

"I have taken my first injection four days ago and after half a day with just a runny nose and headache, I have become very unwell with such bad backache and pain under my shoulder blade, temperature and nightmares/depression I am feeling I may have to stop before the next one. Has anyone out there felt like this after and weighed up the stiffness to severe new pains?"

South Deb (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015