User Reviews for Humira

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 358 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I have been taking Humira for four years. Before starting I had severe RA pain in different joints most of the time and RA flare ups left me very debilitated. Humira began to work within the first two months. I take the injection every 10 days. I currently have no RA pain, experience no flare ups and have no side effects. It has been a wonder drug for me."

Jim Ed September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Extreme side effects include: persistent headaches, severe bloating, weak all over, muscle aches, lower back pain and excessive sleeping during the day."

Captain John June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used Humira for 3 months, I felt much better but then got cancer (Hodgekins lymfoma) and TB."

Louis62e June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with RA 2014 started with methotrexate and low dose prednisone. 46yrs. Had other medical cond and taken of meds for approx 1 1/2 years. Placed back on meth/pred in 2016. Started humira Feb 2017 weekly shot and taken off meth/pred. Then went to humira every other week and placed back on meth/pred. Now humira every other week only. Then informed my RA was being managed and taken off meth/pred once again. It is now June and I feel terrible. My hands are killing me. They feel like they are on fire/placed in a press/hot/cold/a sleep/etc. My feet are starting to hurt a lot and my knees too. I am so so tired. I can sleep constantly. I feel like I have the flu daily with a cough and congestion. Making another doctors appointment. "

PinkCat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took methotrexate for a while without much benefit. Once I started the Humira in combination with methotrexate, I noticed a huge change. I didn't have any pain or stiffness. It has been great! I haven't had any side effects. Just make sure you double check your prescription, once I accidentally got the syringes instead of the pens. Oops! The syringes are much more difficult."

SF525 June 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on plaqunil and the disease was progressing. My dr. (Whom I respect and value) recommended going on Humira. I gave myself the first injection and thought I had gotten my life back. I felt better almost instantly. Unfortunately eleven days later, I had a huge allergic reaction at the site of the injection and my entire body (head to toe) was covered in hives. I was in pain and very itchy for days. I had to discontinue the use of humira immediately and was put on steroids to calm everything down."

Tina123456 April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm a 69 yr old woman with seronegative RA - hence it took a long time for a diagnosis. Many rheumatologists do not understand that you can be seronegative & have RA. Sad. After several years of anti inflammatory drugs & cortisone I was prescribed Humira. Took about 2 months & wow! Not so much pain relief but having so much less fatigue. As I live in Australia my experience with obtaining the drug is different to the US. My rheumatologist makes application through the federal government after other drugs have failed & they heavily subsidise. Thus far no obvious side effects. However, reading other's comments I wonder about the flushes at night - never had them as a menopausal symptom...... Wish you all the best in managing RA"

Azif March 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 48 year old female and I've had arthritis and fibromyalgia since 2008. Have tried many medications which am allergic to most. I have also been diagnosed with RA recently. My mother has it so probably got passed to me. I've been on steroids and muscle relaxes they help me with no side effects. My rheumatologist just put me on humira. I've givign myself 4 injection praying for some relief. But I am actually feeling worse. Doc says it's just my body getting worse but I'm thinking my body doesn't like the medication. I'm going to give it 3 more months of I don't get to feeling worse. Was really counting on this medication to help me."

S.C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When my doctor first suggested humira 14 years ago, I was afraid to start it. I've had juvenile arthritis since I was 15, and am now 50. I was so used to pain, that I didn't remember what it was like to be pain free, that is until I finally decided to try humira. I figured what do I have to lose. I won't know if it works if I don't try it. Honestly, within hours of my first injection I could feel a difference. It really was a miracle drug for me. It lasted 14 years, when it just started losing its efficacy for me. I have learned through research, that your body can produce antibodies to the medicine. Unfortunately when that happens, the medicine will no longer work. I'm going to now have to try something else"

Jd7 (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 47 years old and I was recently diagnosed with RA. I was very reluctant about taking this medicine after reading all the possible side effects. But I have to say that this medication change my life. The day after the first shot I felt a little worse. But after that I be feeling great no pain no side effects. I guess everybody is different. Good luck."

Chuco February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Humira is the third medicine from this group that I have taken the other two being Enbrel and Cimzia. It is fair to say that for me it has also been the best, but unfortunately I am going to have to stop taking it for the following. Initially I had minor but long lasting mild headache on day of taking, this was followed by a urinary infection possibly caused by the Humira but the reason I must stop is that I now have tinnitus. This was mild hissing at first so I tolerated it, but now and after each injection it gets measurably worse. So me and Humira must regrettably part company, a great shame because it did/does make a very large improvement to my R. A."

Phil. Green (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on humira just over a year, no side effects, it has given me my life back, its like a miracle"

Tunku January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After shot #1 I felt great. After shot # 2 I felt like I was having an RA flare. The night of shot #3 I felt like I might have the start of the flu. Within 2 days I had high fever, chills, teeth chattering. All my joints were in extreme pain, could not stand, felt dehydrated. Could hear my heart beat and blood whooshing in my ears. If this happens to you call 911. I took several Vitamin C & my husband helped me drink water while waiting for ambulance. I had blood poisoning due to an infected tooth ( did not realize I had a tooth problem until I was violently sick ) Your Dr will try to convince you to take these shots. Abbvie the makers of humira are marketing this to stock brokers. I think my dr. Must own stock in Abbvie / Humira. Beware!"

Rheumatoid 20 years (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would never take this drug again and I would encourage you to never take this drug. The side effects were terrible."

James1000 November 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has anyone suffered masses in esophagus, choking on food, severe coughing fits, and hard to catch your breath while on Humari? Any feed back is greatly appreciated"

MaciBelle November 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was initially put on Humira a couple years ago for my RA, after a failed attempt with using Enbrel and Methotrexate to treat my constantly inflamed and achy joints. I am pleased to report that with only 6 or so months with using Humira, it launched me into an incredible 2 year remission where I was completely pain free and had my life back. I knew it would be short lived, about 2 months ago some of the aches and inflammation started to come back. I told my Rheumy I wanted back on Humira so she gave me an injection and I took it last week. The arthritis was getting nasty before taking the injection and literally within not even 24 hours of my first injection, SYMPTOMS WERE GONE!! Humira works quickly and effectively!!"

Kim7171 October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Humira injectable twice a week in conjunction with Methrotexate and Mobic since March of this year with no side effects, but no felt benefits either. I had to stop due to surgery and restarted once weekly three weeks ago and been having severe joint pain since I restarted Humira requiring a short course of cortisone. Resume Mobic a week ago. Joint pain continues and just haven't felt myself since I started Humira. The pain wakes me up at night and I am just miserable. This is no quality of life. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it is a comfort to know other people understand your symptoms and that you are not alone! I don't think this is the best medicine for me. :("

RA Fighter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have severe RA plus Psoriatic Arthritis plus Asthma plus osteoarthritis plus osteoporosis and I just turned 60. I have severe allergies to anti inflammatories and have had my RA for 30 years. Right now I am on Humara ( can't take methotrexate) and have been for 10 years. Humara really helped at one time but just doesn't work for me anymore. I am in an intense flair that just won't stop we tried Xeljan but my sensitive stomach said no more. I was glad to use the Humara even if I did hold my breath when it came to side effects, nothing major happened but I miss my thick hair."

Ndn September 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mother was taking this drug twice monthly. She had been on it once before for aut 2 years and had great results. She had to stop because of an operation. Later on her arthritis caused so much pain and she requested this medicine again. She took it again for 3 months and was so happy to be able to get around. She then got scratched by her dog, took the shot and by the next morning she had a 104 fever and infection spread throughout her body. She went into a coma state and never came out of it. She died from septic shock 6 days later. Use with extreme caution. Do not use if you even get a scratch or sore as it lowers your immune system and may cause death from an infection."

Anonymous August 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had JRA since I was 2 years old. I started Humira 5 years ago. Worked great. Called it my miracle drug. Just this week I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I suggest staying away from this product."

Hard to believe (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

""I've been taking humira for over 8 years for severe rheumatoid arthritis. One 40 mg pen shot every 2 weeks. It's worked wonders on my arthritis. I love it cause no methotrexate Or plaquenil . Some side effects like cold sores like three times a year. After all this years, its effects started to slow down, so my Dr switch me to another new drug Xeli and OMG suffered horrible side effects. I went back to my Dr who got me back on Humira. Again, My life is back to almost normal and when pain kind of appears I take prednisone 5mg for around a week that stops it. I won't leave Humira at less it doesn't work that all. The other drug that I took by mouth everyday for three months almost destroyed my stomach. This is inyected every two weeks."

FamG August 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Denny 56, very happy to hear it is helping you and your doing better.From my experience please watch your breathing and night sweats very closely.Get checked out asap if these happen to you.This is how all my problems started.Just trying to help with a heads up on this, and I hope it works out for you. Another 50 something male with RA."

Hum no (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had exactly the same thing happen to me as jayall and jall did.No breathing problems or skin problems prior, but on my seventh injection I got deathly ill with pneumonia,2 weeks in hospital with different antibiotics and antifungal. Had lung fluid drained , now have scar tissue and copd and psoriasis.Was and still on methotrexate and plaqunil and Orencia IV now.Joint pain not better after six months IV ,just upped IV dosage hoping for some relief. Humira Made things extremely worse for me but may work for others."

Hum no (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was diagnosed since 2011, nothing works well. Till I am allowed Humira 40MG. pen + 20 mg. of Methotrexate every 2 weeks. Humira works over night, none of the side effects. I am back to my perfect self again. Now I am waiting for another shoe to drop; medications stop working, insurance stop covering, liver funk out etc."

imjustagirl June 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking humira for two years for severe rheumatoid arthritis. One 40 mg shot a week. It's worked wonders on my arthritis. I also take 15 mg methotrexate once a week. No side effects except for extreme mood swings from extreme anger to laughing so hard I'd be in tears. I thought I was going crazy until I saw comments from other people taking humira with similar side effects. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences .I'm not nuts after all."

Anonymous May 27, 2016