User Reviews for Humira

Humira Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 344 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I've been on Humira nearly a year now (I use the self-inject pens) for RA. Previously I'd been on Prednisone, which helped the pain but had horrible side effects, and methotrexate, which didn't help and had horrible side effects. Humira has been a life safer. The shot itself definitely stings, especially in the thigh, but I went from constant pain, a severe limp, and inability to do much of anything to basically a slightly less flexible but otherwise normal able-bodied person. No side effects have yet appeared. I don't know how I managed without it for so long. It's not cheap, but if you make under a certain yearly income and you call the company, they'll work with you to make if affordable."

EG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2018

"My Dad took this medicine and he actually died. I know you won't publish this. "

Rebecca April 3, 2018

"I got a rare form of tuberculosis after injections after two years ..It took 1 year to clear up..Tried 3 meds before finally clearing up infection."

sandy sunshine January 30, 2018

"I was diagnosed with RA 12 years ago at age 57. Was put on Arava with Diclofenac, Plaqunil, and Prednisone. What a combo! Became in-effective after a couple years. Reumy put me on Humira - BEST thing that could have happened to me. Worked wonders and I had no side effects to speak of. 6 years ago I was taken off everything, as I had gone into COMPLETE REMISSION! I remained symptom and pain free until about 3 months ago, when my pain and symptoms re-appeared. My doctor had retired in the mean time, and my new doctor will not put me on Humira. Instead I'm on methotrexate, which makes me feel dizzy, headaches, and I now have anemia. I will be seeking a new doctor who will put me back on Humira! It works!!"

CorvetteBri January 27, 2018

"Thought this was my miracle cure for extreme RA. Nothing else seemed to work and was having trouble walking and functioning. One shot and things started returning to normal, it was wonderful to have no pain. Until the first round of A FIB. Hospitalized, then atrial flutter. Hospitalized. Then the fainting and rapid heartbeat...220! Hospitalized. Woke up one night and could not breathe...diagnosed with pneumonia. Hospitalised. The pulmonologist revised diagnosis to pulmonary fibrosis with scarring on lungs. 5 months later, still coughing and using nebulizer. Stopped this medicine and can breathe again. RA returned, but I'm alive. Stay away from Humira."

RA female 60. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 12, 2017

"The drug did not work for me. I felt I was about to have a heart attack. I thought I was going to die. I was ready to call 911. I didn't realize it could have such an adverse effect on you. The doctor prescribed another drug which worked much better without giving me the feeling of an oncoming heart attack."

traveler145 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

"RA and UC. Injection is awful, painful and leaves horrific rash and brusing. On Humira RA has not improved in fact gotten worse. Literally had to get a depo and toradal injection today for bad inflammation and excruciating joint pain. The nausea is beyond manageable, and the headaches! Side effects are killing me. I really wish I could upload pics of my injection sites."

Not Good Experience yet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

"I have been taking Humira for four years. Before starting I had severe RA pain in different joints most of the time and RA flare ups left me very debilitated. Humira began to work within the first two months. I take the injection every 10 days. I currently have no RA pain, experience no flare ups and have no side effects. It has been a wonder drug for me."

Jim Ed September 26, 2017

"Extreme side effects include: persistent headaches, severe bloating, weak all over, muscle aches, lower back pain and excessive sleeping during the day."

Captain John June 28, 2017

"I used Humira for 3 months, I felt much better but then got cancer (Hodgekins lymfoma) and TB."

Louis62e June 20, 2017

"Diagnosed with RA 2014 started with methotrexate and low dose prednisone. 46yrs. Had other medical cond and taken of meds for approx 1 1/2 years. Placed back on meth/pred in 2016. Started humira Feb 2017 weekly shot and taken off meth/pred. Then went to humira every other week and placed back on meth/pred. Now humira every other week only. Then informed my RA was being managed and taken off meth/pred once again. It is now June and I feel terrible. My hands are killing me. They feel like they are on fire/placed in a press/hot/cold/a sleep/etc. My feet are starting to hurt a lot and my knees too. I am so so tired. I can sleep constantly. I feel like I have the flu daily with a cough and congestion. Making another doctors appointment. "

PinkCat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2017

"I took methotrexate for a while without much benefit. Once I started the Humira in combination with methotrexate, I noticed a huge change. I didn't have any pain or stiffness. It has been great! I haven't had any side effects. Just make sure you double check your prescription, once I accidentally got the syringes instead of the pens. Oops! The syringes are much more difficult."

SF525 June 3, 2017

"I am on plaqunil and the disease was progressing. My dr. (Whom I respect and value) recommended going on Humira. I gave myself the first injection and thought I had gotten my life back. I felt better almost instantly. Unfortunately eleven days later, I had a huge allergic reaction at the site of the injection and my entire body (head to toe) was covered in hives. I was in pain and very itchy for days. I had to discontinue the use of humira immediately and was put on steroids to calm everything down."

Tina123456 April 27, 2017

"I'm a 69 yr old woman with seronegative RA - hence it took a long time for a diagnosis. Many rheumatologists do not understand that you can be seronegative & have RA. Sad. After several years of anti inflammatory drugs & cortisone I was prescribed Humira. Took about 2 months & wow! Not so much pain relief but having so much less fatigue. As I live in Australia my experience with obtaining the drug is different to the US. My rheumatologist makes application through the federal government after other drugs have failed & they heavily subsidise. Thus far no obvious side effects. However, reading other's comments I wonder about the flushes at night - never had them as a menopausal symptom...... Wish you all the best in managing RA"

Azif March 31, 2017

"I'm 48 year old female and I've had arthritis and fibromyalgia since 2008. Have tried many medications which am allergic to most. I have also been diagnosed with RA recently. My mother has it so probably got passed to me. I've been on steroids and muscle relaxes they help me with no side effects. My rheumatologist just put me on humira. I've givign myself 4 injection praying for some relief. But I am actually feeling worse. Doc says it's just my body getting worse but I'm thinking my body doesn't like the medication. I'm going to give it 3 more months of I don't get to feeling worse. Was really counting on this medication to help me."

S.C. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

"When my doctor first suggested humira 14 years ago, I was afraid to start it. I've had juvenile arthritis since I was 15, and am now 50. I was so used to pain, that I didn't remember what it was like to be pain free, that is until I finally decided to try humira. I figured what do I have to lose. I won't know if it works if I don't try it. Honestly, within hours of my first injection I could feel a difference. It really was a miracle drug for me. It lasted 14 years, when it just started losing its efficacy for me. I have learned through research, that your body can produce antibodies to the medicine. Unfortunately when that happens, the medicine will no longer work. I'm going to now have to try something else"

Jd7 (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2017

"I'm 47 years old and I was recently diagnosed with RA. I was very reluctant about taking this medicine after reading all the possible side effects. But I have to say that this medication change my life. The day after the first shot I felt a little worse. But after that I be feeling great no pain no side effects. I guess everybody is different. Good luck."

Chuco February 12, 2017

"Humira is the third medicine from this group that I have taken the other two being Enbrel and Cimzia. It is fair to say that for me it has also been the best, but unfortunately I am going to have to stop taking it for the following. Initially I had minor but long lasting mild headache on day of taking, this was followed by a urinary infection possibly caused by the Humira but the reason I must stop is that I now have tinnitus. This was mild hissing at first so I tolerated it, but now and after each injection it gets measurably worse. So me and Humira must regrettably part company, a great shame because it did/does make a very large improvement to my R. A."

Phil. Green (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

"I have been on humira just over a year, no side effects, it has given me my life back, its like a miracle"

Tunku January 30, 2017

"After shot #1 I felt great. After shot # 2 I felt like I was having an RA flare. The night of shot #3 I felt like I might have the start of the flu. Within 2 days I had high fever, chills, teeth chattering. All my joints were in extreme pain, could not stand, felt dehydrated. Could hear my heart beat and blood whooshing in my ears. If this happens to you call 911. I took several Vitamin C & my husband helped me drink water while waiting for ambulance. I had blood poisoning due to an infected tooth ( did not realize I had a tooth problem until I was violently sick ) Your Dr will try to convince you to take these shots. Abbvie the makers of humira are marketing this to stock brokers. I think my dr. Must own stock in Abbvie / Humira. Beware!"

Rheumatoid 20 years (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

"I would never take this drug again and I would encourage you to never take this drug. The side effects were terrible."

James1000 November 23, 2016

"Has anyone suffered masses in esophagus, choking on food, severe coughing fits, and hard to catch your breath while on Humari? Any feed back is greatly appreciated"

MaciBelle November 15, 2016

"I was initially put on Humira a couple years ago for my RA, after a failed attempt with using Enbrel and Methotrexate to treat my constantly inflamed and achy joints. I am pleased to report that with only 6 or so months with using Humira, it launched me into an incredible 2 year remission where I was completely pain free and had my life back. I knew it would be short lived, about 2 months ago some of the aches and inflammation started to come back. I told my Rheumy I wanted back on Humira so she gave me an injection and I took it last week. The arthritis was getting nasty before taking the injection and literally within not even 24 hours of my first injection, SYMPTOMS WERE GONE!! Humira works quickly and effectively!!"

Kim7171 October 21, 2016

"I started Humira injectable twice a week in conjunction with Methrotexate and Mobic since March of this year with no side effects, but no felt benefits either. I had to stop due to surgery and restarted once weekly three weeks ago and been having severe joint pain since I restarted Humira requiring a short course of cortisone. Resume Mobic a week ago. Joint pain continues and just haven't felt myself since I started Humira. The pain wakes me up at night and I am just miserable. This is no quality of life. Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it is a comfort to know other people understand your symptoms and that you are not alone! I don't think this is the best medicine for me. :("

RA Fighter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 21, 2016

"I have severe RA plus Psoriatic Arthritis plus Asthma plus osteoarthritis plus osteoporosis and I just turned 60. I have severe allergies to anti inflammatories and have had my RA for 30 years. Right now I am on Humara ( can't take methotrexate) and have been for 10 years. Humara really helped at one time but just doesn't work for me anymore. I am in an intense flair that just won't stop we tried Xeljan but my sensitive stomach said no more. I was glad to use the Humara even if I did hold my breath when it came to side effects, nothing major happened but I miss my thick hair."

Ndn September 19, 2016