User Reviews for Humira

Learn more about Humira.

Humira Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 363 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Humira to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I have severe RA plus Psoriatic Arthritis plus Asthma plus osteoarthritis plus osteoporosis and I just turned 60. I have severe allergies to anti inflammatories and have had my RA for 30 years. Right now I am on Humara ( can't take methotrexate) and have been for 10 years. Humara really helped at one time but just doesn't work for me anymore. I am in an intense flair that just won't stop we tried Xeljan but my sensitive stomach said no more. I was glad to use the Humara even if I did hold my breath when it came to side effects, nothing major happened but I miss my thick hair."

Ndn September 19, 2016

"Continuing from my last post, Humira put me into 15 mths of remission bliss, no pain and no meds. I knew this remission would be short lived (but hell was it worth it!) and now my RA is slowly starting to creep back up on me again. I will be going back on Humira right away to combat this littler monster of a disease before it comes at me full force. Although I am scared of the long term side effects, there are many other contributing factors to these horror stories that we hear about when complications are involved. I have read up on starting hot yoga, acupuncture, auto-immune focused eating,etc. The biggest and most important thing we all have to do is try our best at keeping our bodies from getting infections and viruses. Good luck to all"

Kim7171 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 2, 2016

"My mother was taking this drug twice monthly. She had been on it once before for aut 2 years and had great results. She had to stop because of an operation. Later on her arthritis caused so much pain and she requested this medicine again. She took it again for 3 months and was so happy to be able to get around. She then got scratched by her dog, took the shot and by the next morning she had a 104 fever and infection spread throughout her body. She went into a coma state and never came out of it. She died from septic shock 6 days later. Use with extreme caution. Do not use if you even get a scratch or sore as it lowers your immune system and may cause death from an infection."

Anonymous August 27, 2016

"I've had JRA since I was 2 years old. I started Humira 5 years ago. Worked great. Called it my miracle drug. Just this week I was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I suggest staying away from this product."

Hard to believe (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 6, 2016

""I've been taking humira for over 8 years for severe rheumatoid arthritis. One 40 mg pen shot every 2 weeks. It's worked wonders on my arthritis. I love it cause no methotrexate Or plaquenil . Some side effects like cold sores like three times a year. After all this years, its effects started to slow down, so my Dr switch me to another new drug Xeli and OMG suffered horrible side effects. I went back to my Dr who got me back on Humira. Again, My life is back to almost normal and when pain kind of appears I take prednisone 5mg for around a week that stops it. I won't leave Humira at less it doesn't work that all. The other drug that I took by mouth everyday for three months almost destroyed my stomach. This is inyected every two weeks."

FamG August 1, 2016

"Denny 56, very happy to hear it is helping you and your doing better.From my experience please watch your breathing and night sweats very closely.Get checked out asap if these happen to you.This is how all my problems started.Just trying to help with a heads up on this, and I hope it works out for you. Another 50 something male with RA."

Hum no (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2016

"I had exactly the same thing happen to me as jayall and jall did.No breathing problems or skin problems prior, but on my seventh injection I got deathly ill with pneumonia,2 weeks in hospital with different antibiotics and antifungal. Had lung fluid drained , now have scar tissue and copd and psoriasis.Was and still on methotrexate and plaqunil and Orencia IV now.Joint pain not better after six months IV ,just upped IV dosage hoping for some relief. Humira Made things extremely worse for me but may work for others."

Hum no (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 21, 2016

"For Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was diagnosed since 2011, nothing works well. Till I am allowed Humira 40MG. pen + 20 mg. of Methotrexate every 2 weeks. Humira works over night, none of the side effects. I am back to my perfect self again. Now I am waiting for another shoe to drop; medications stop working, insurance stop covering, liver funk out etc."

imjustagirl June 10, 2016

"I've been taking humira for two years for severe rheumatoid arthritis. One 40 mg shot a week. It's worked wonders on my arthritis. I also take 15 mg methotrexate once a week. No side effects except for extreme mood swings from extreme anger to laughing so hard I'd be in tears. I thought I was going crazy until I saw comments from other people taking humira with similar side effects. Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences .I'm not nuts after all."

Anonymous May 27, 2016

"I was put on to Humira after trying DMARDs that just wouldn't control my RA which went to being severe in a very short space of time from first diagnosis. I have now been on the drug together with 10mg methotraxate for 2 years and haven't looked back. When I think back to being in so much pain that I couldn't get out of bed and had to have my husband help me climb the stairs there is no comparison. Now I exercise 3 times a week and am able to work without being constantly off ill. I did take shingles last year which wasn't very pleasant but other than that I haven't had any other side effects thankfully. I feel like I've been given my life back."

Humira lifesaver May 6, 2016

"Using for a bout a year a fight to get it due to the cost. It's swings and roundabouts and at least I can work now but think I have become more argumentative. I think if I was a bit older I would not take it. Any one looking to take it don't let anyone put you off its different for everyone. P.S when my consultant said one of the side effects was hair loss think she was joking with me because last time I had a hair cut was in the 90's!"

Ashburton646 May 5, 2016

"I've been humira for around six months. Here lately I've noticed a rash that itches super bad. It started on my face where my left side of face was swollen and hard with itching bad. Please if anyone has had this happen please let me know. 4/17/16."

Melaynie wells April 19, 2016

"I started taking Humira after the Methotrexate became in-effective. I WOULD NEVER TAKE THIS HUMIRA AGAIN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. It began with headaches, which got worse every time I took the Humira. My energy level went down to nothing, and it did not help my RA at all. NOW, this drug has given me severe Eczema on my hands, feet, underarms, crotch and in my ear canals. I have never been so miserable in my entire life. They can't help the eczema at all. I have gone off Humira for over 2 months, I'm flaring, and I still have the eczema. They tell me I might have it for life. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I'd rather have RA pain, then all these debilitating side effects. Funny, they never said a word about any of this."

Humirahater March 18, 2016

"2006 tested positive for R.A with low symptoms. Started with methotrexate for 8 years along with 1 tablet of folic acid - no problems. Sept 2014 R.A. advances to severe symptoms and specialist removes medication due to effecting the liver. Primary doctor suggests using Embrel. Used it for 6 months - no improvement. Switch to Humira and worked for one month. Severe symptoms are in feet, hands and neck. Inflammation are the main reasons that these areas are effected more often. Hopefully the is something else in pill form. Shots are painful and do nothing for me."

UTEP February 17, 2016

"RA for 10 yrs, injecting 25mg of MTX for couple of years after having too many s/effects on oral MTX. Then getting flares and not well controlled on MTX so started on Humira, injected fortnightly and remaining on MTX. No major side effects. But not benefit. Nothing. Nada. No relief from symptoms at all. Rheumatologist took me off it and now probably going to start on Enbrel. Apparently I sit in the 1/3 of people for whom there is no benefit. Hoping Embrel will work because I'm over it. It's no life."

Samantha66 January 22, 2016

"At 23 my RA got so bad that walking & lifting my hands over my head was enough to make me wince in pain. Doc prescribed me Humira, and my pain went away overnight (literally). I continued taking it for a year, and I haven't had a single notable flare-up since the first injection. I still get random SMALL aches but they're completely forgetabble. Can't say the list of long-term side effects don't scare me. So since I feel 100%, I've decided I no longer want it. Have actually been off the med for about 6 months now and not a single flare-up. Doc pressured me to mix it with Methotrexate, but I'm not a human test subject so that ain't happening. Doctors, please listen to your patients. If they feel great, don't force MORE meds on them."

Took it for RA for a year. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2016

"I am a 57 year old female, diagnosed with RA 29 years ago. I took Enbrel for 9 years, but began to have more frequent flares, so my rheumatologist switched me to Humira. I took the first injection 20 days ago and felt great until day 12, when I developed severe flu-like symptoms, with aches and pains and had a significant rash over my entire body and face. It was like having a major RA flare plus an itchy rash and headache at the same time. I was prescribed a six-day dose of prednisone and 24 hour a day Benadryl. I had little improvement three days latter and received a steroid shot which was three days ago. Four days later, I still have significant overall weakness, a major headache and injection site reaction from the initial and last injection."

Kimberli Jeffers (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"In my case it has slowed down the RA but it has not been a cure all. Burns like hades for about 3-5 minuts after the injection. Started on Orencia, then Cimzia, now Humira. Also on Arava as I do not tolerate MT well."

Fordownr (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2015

"Began experiencing rheumatoid arthritis in Spring of 2014. Was put on methotrexate and Humira. The arthritis was affecting my wrists, hands and fingers with severe pain, with some additional pain to both knees, ankles, feet and toes. At 52 years of age the debilitating pain was not acceptable. Almost immediate relief from pain was achieved with these medications, but the side effects began. Yeast infections, skin rashes, etc. Quit both meds in December 2014. The severe pain in both hands has returned. Have an appointment in January 2016 with a new rheumatologist for a second opinion for treatment. For those with allergies and sinus infections, try eating some raw local honey each day. Eating honey has taken headaches away for me."

In pain and not liking it November 30, 2015

"I was on HUMIRA for three years after 14 years of methotrexate and a mix of other non biological meds. HUMIRA was brilliant however it has recently stopped working so well and my specialist is changing me to another anti TNF biologic. I'm really sad and sorry to leave my humira behind, it gave me a great three years, the best I've had since I first got RA. Will wait to see what the new MED is like, fingers crossed."

Macza November 10, 2015

"I have taken my first injection four days ago and after half a day with just a runny nose and headache, I have become very unwell with such bad backache and pain under my shoulder blade, temperature and nightmares/depression I am feeling I may have to stop before the next one. Has anyone out there felt like this after and weighed up the stiffness to severe new pains?"

South Deb (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015

"I've had RA for 16yr (I'm 49yr)....I'm currently on Methotrexate (5 pills wkly) and Humira. In the past 10mo I've had shingles twice so I had to go off of it so that I could get the shingles vaccine. I definately missed taking it and have suffered a bit. I just started back up and am looking forward to it kicking in! It works wonders for me....**altho I will say that whenever I travel south (TN), I forget I even have arthritis....climate matters..."

Kelso49 September 9, 2015

"I had exactly the same experience with humira as JayAll did on April 8th 2015.Two weeks in hospital with pneumonia that spread fast,drained lung fluid,scarred lung and now copd.I had no lung problems in the past.Still on methotrexate and now on otezla flares and pain still here, but doc wants me to try it for four months"

J.All (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

"I started on humira a year after my diagnosis and felt better overnight. It wasn't the pain that was doing me in it was the total lack of energy and not feeling like myself. I finally felt normal again. My doctor wanted me to also take methotrexate but the oral pills caused almost constant vomiting. After my wrist problems I tried the methotrexate again with no success so was put on enbrel. I had some minor skin infections on humira but never ran a a fever and could always be cleared up. So after almost 3 years on humira I was switched to enbrel. My energy plummeted, although I had no pain or flares just constant respiratory infections with fevers. I was put on sub q meth and humira and energy returned. I am so much happier!"

humeria lover! (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2015

"Hi! I have been living with RA for the past 8yrs. I have it in my left foot and both wrist moving to my knees. (lovely)@ 53? As everyone knows who is on the site the pain for most of us is constant. Wake up w/ it still there if you want to go walking mid afternoon. Dinner time tired don't feel like cooking. Tell your MD, They tell you about Humira.... All these great biogenics on the market, how good are they? Last Sat I ended up in the hospital over night. Feeling heart racing. Sweating, body and mind feeling exhausted can't move or even lift my hand. Has anybody got any of these symptoms while taking Humira. I welcome any feedback.."

doxiemom1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015