How long can Humira be out of the fridge?
If you are traveling or not able to keep your Humira (adalimumab) in the refrigerator, you can store it at room temperature up to a maximum of 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) for a period of up to 14 days.
- Throw away your Humira if it has been kept at room temperature and not used within the 14 day period. Your pharmacist can advise you on how to get a refill.
- Once your Humira Pen or prefilled syringe has reached room temperature, it must be used within 14 days even if it is put back in the refrigerator.
- Be sure to store Humira in its original carton until you use it and protect it from light at all times.
To help you keep track, record the date when your Humira is first removed from the refrigerator in the spaces provided on the outside of the carton and on the dose tray.
Do not store Humira in extreme heat or cold and do not freeze it. Do not use Humira if it has been frozen, even if you have thawed it.
Also, do not use your Humira if the liquid in the pen or syringe is cloudy, discolored, or has flakes or particles in it; discard and use a new pen or syringe.
What is Humira?
Humira (adalimumab) is a biologic injectable protein known as a monoclonal antibody. It is used to treat many different autoimmune-types of diseases where inflammation leads to symptoms. It's classified as a Tumor Necrosis Factor (TNF) alpha inhibitor, and binds to and blocks the action of TNF in your body to lower inflammation.
Because Humira blocks the inflammatory process, it has a place in many conditions with inflammation as a central mechanism, including:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Juvenile arthritis
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Crohn's disease
- Plaque psoriasis
- Ulcerative colitis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
Humira is given as a self-administered subcutaneous injection (under the skin). From AbbVie, it was first approved in 2002 and has been one of the world’s best selling drugs for many years.
This is not all the information you need to know about Humira (adalimumab) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full product information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Humira Injection [package insert]. North Chicago, IL: AbbVie Inc. Revised 2/2021. Accessed March 21, 2021 https://www.rxabbvie.com/pdf/humira.pdf
Related medical questions
- What happens when you stop taking Humira?
- How much does Humira cost without insurance?
- Does Humira cause weight gain or weight loss?
- How long does it take for Humira to work?
- What are monoclonal antibodies?
- What are biosimilar drugs?
- What food should I avoid while taking Humira?
- How long can you stay on Humira?
- Can you drink alcohol while taking Humira?
- Can I take Humira after covid vaccine?
- Is Humira an immunosuppressant?
- Humira Information for Consumers
- Humira prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Humira (detailed)
Related support groups
- Humira (68 questions, 369 members)