User Reviews for Acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate

Also known as: Alidrin, Amidrine, Diacetazone, Duradrin, Epidrin, IDA, Iso-Acetazone, Isocom, LarkaDrin, Midchlor, Midrin, Migquin, Migragesic IDA, Migrapap, Migratine, ...show all 20 brand names

Learn more about Acetaminophen/dichloralphenazone/isometheptene mucate.

Acetaminophen/dichloralphenazone/isometheptene mucate Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 290 medications used in the treatment of Headache.

Reviews for Acetaminophen/dichloralphenazone/isometheptene mucate to treat Headache

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "Like previous reviewers, I find the Midrin substitute hit-or-miss. Taking Midrin early or late in the headache seems not to matter; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I took Midrin in the early 80s, and it worked every time, and fast. (the effect was as if my head just floated away, but I could still function). With the Midrin substitutes, the headache just slowly subsides. Either the formula is different or I am, but it's not the product it used to be. Still, it's the only thing that comes close to working for me."

Ratking (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The only thing that works for the complex migraines w/ vertigo and gastroparesis that I get as a result from a vagal nerve injury. Other migraine medications have caused heart complications, so this is it for me. It's terrifying whenever there's a shortage."

Samsa May 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "For me Midrin is very hit or miss, when I take it at onset of a bad headache, sometimes the headache just in time vanishes before it ever begins, then sometimes its as if I took a placebo, granted the drug has 0 side effects for me. Overall, it's worth having if you have back-up drugs for when it does not work. For those of you that like myself get a terrible trifecta of Migraine, Tension, and Cluster Headaches. You probably know like me that no meds really take the headache away completely once you have one."

docday93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I began having vascular migraines in the 70s and nothing worked until I was prescribed midrin. My rating is for the current midrin formula as it doesn't seem to work as well as it did back in the day when I was first prescribed it... back then it far surpassed 10! It is still an effective migraine drug with less side effects than some other drugs that I was prescribed when midrin was unavailable. It works quickly and, unless it is a really bad migraine, basically allows me to still be able to function once the headache subsides. Currently, my Medicare drug plan doesn't cover it and it is expensive--- over $3.00 a capsule, unless you can find a coupon. Last time it was filled I had a coupon and paid $1.12 a capsule."

swilliams.ar April 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "As of this review (Spring 2017) only one company makes it (Macoven Pharma.) It is the best migraine treatment for me whatever variation of name it is dispensed as: "Midrin" "Commonly known as Midrin" "Epidrin" "isometheptene-dichloralphenazone-acetaminophen" "Isometh/Dich/Apap 65-100-325." At onset of migraine I take 2 capsules Midrin and 20-30 minutes later the migraine just starts to disappear. Make me sleepy - that's the only downside and one I can manage. Usually first dose is enough, occasionally I take one more Midrin capsule an hour later. I went through years trying out various Rx's, shots, treatments with my doctor, but once we tried Midrin I got my life back. Difficult to find pharmacy to supply, but worth it!"

LivingInOhio (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Midrin, Epidrin, isometheptene-dichloralphenazone-acetaminophen, Isometh/Dich/Apap 65-100-325, whatever variation of name it is dispensed as, it is the best migraine treatment for me. It must be administered early into the headache or it is much less effective. That's the only downside, and one I've managed to deal with successfully over many years now. I take 2 capsules at onset and one more tablet each hour after as needed (usually total of three capsules is enough!) Only side affect is it makes me sleepy. I went through two years trying out various Rx's, shots, treatments with my doctor, but once we tried Midrin I got my life back.The difficulty getting it lately has me jumping through hoops and the price skyrocketed, but it's worth it."

LivingInOhio (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "Midrin works very well on the onset. Stops the "gritty" pain and brings my headache/beginning migraine down to almost nothing. I do get a bit lightheaded and sometimes a bit amped, but its totally worth it. I used to take 2 on the onset and rarely had to follow up on the next hour or two. Now I only take 1 on the onset and I'm fine. When the pill winds down I feel tired so I when taking the pill I plan on resting later that day and not to over-exert. I have Chiari I."

Motochique October 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I was having severe migraines for about 5 months. The doctor tried every medication available. I would only buy 4 because I didn't want to waste money on the whole prescription and it not work. Imitrex made me so sick!!! I had remember from the early 90's when I would get cluster headaches and the doctor put me on Midrin. Out of the blue, I asked the doctor to try this again. He didn't think it was available, but my pharmacy said they could compound it. Again I bought 4 pills, thinking I was wasting my money but desperate. Bam.... migraine stopped within 20 minutes of taking. Sometimes, it takes a second dose if I have a severe one. But, I feel it is under control now. I have fibromyalgia, the migraines are a sensory issue smells, sounds."

tparker999 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "Midrin knocks out my headache within minutes I don't know how but it works"

The headache miracle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "This is a miracle drug! I've suffered with migraines for years and I've never been able to find a medication that helps. I take 1 Midrin at the onset of a headache and within 45 minutes it is gone. I have no side effects whatsoever. I can go about my daily routine and the medication does not effect me at all. I highly recommend this medication! I was at my wits end until I tried Midrin. Even Imitrex did not help me. But this drug did the trick!!"

Amanda082593 May 6, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "This is by far the best headache medication I've ever used. I've tried Fioricet and Imitrex and neither worked well. Fioricet made me feel as if I were high and the Imitrex made me itch all over and my heart race. The only thing with Midrin is that it needs to be taken as soon as you feel a headache coming on or it won't work well once your headache is full blown."

lopezmd July 15, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I've been taking Midrin for about ten years for my migraines. It works great if taken on time. When it was taken off the market I went through so many trial and errors with different medications that were prescribed..finally after almost 2 years without Midrin my doctor wrote me a script for Midrin and told me that I can take it to a compound pharmacy...But you have to pay out of pocket...which I do because it helps me sooo much.."

anonymous7 April 16, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "This was the first medication I received for my migraines, and it worked for 90% of my migraines. However, the side effects left me dizzy, disoriented, drowsy, and just generally intoxicated and unable to perform normal work. I switched to Fioricet, and it's been a much better experience since."

TriangularMann (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I have had horrible headaches everyday for the past 18yrs. When I was young my mother would take me to the er for them, but seeing as how I didn't have nausea or anything besides intense head pain they ruled out migraines and would just send me home hurting. I saw my first neurologist 17yrs ago and he put me on midrin. It is the only thing that ever worked for me. I moved quite a bit when I was younger so I never really had the chance to see another neurologist until about 10 yrs ago, and they wanted to try everything else first. I had an arnold chiari malformation so they blamed it and did surgery. After that they said I had pseudotumor and did regular LPs. Finally got tired of it and stopped seeing neuro 3yrs ago. Need Midrin back!"

hurting in tx (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2015

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I've suffered from headaches since elementary school. Somewhat pinpointed it to sinus/allergies about 15 yrs ago since combination of Sudafed and ibuprofen was pretty effective. Take allergy shots, Allegra , Nasonex and still get the headaches unless Sudafed and ibuprofen is taken. My allergist sent me to a neurologist and prescribed Midrin. So far I like it. Took 2 at onset of headache as prescribed and it worked within 45 minutes. Felt a little weird from it. So now I just take one and it works really well all day if not longer. It actually seems to help my eyesight a little and my focus. I was also prescribed a sleep aid but haven't taken any since I really don't have trouble sleeping."

Thomas469 October 1, 2014

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I've had migraines for 15 years. Imitrex made me sick, so my neurologist prescribed Midrin. Its the only medication that actually relieves my Migraines completely. I know they don't have the brand name Midrin but in some places you can get the generic-Isometheptene/dichloralphenazone/acetominophen. It has all the same ingredients, and works great."

Gabbygarza (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2014

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I use Midrin for my Migraines and it is on the Market but not every pharmacy carries it."

EnigmaticB December 20, 2013

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had my pharmacy order this for me because it recently came back on market and I have tried many preventatives and lots of things to stop a migraine, the only thing that worked was a shot of morphine at the hospital. I was on day 2 of a migraine when my medicines came in. I took 2 pills and in 30 minutes I looked around and noticed almost all of my pain was gone, shortly after all pain was gone. I take care of my child every day and I was able to function well with a little cotton mouth and a feeling of taking a narcotic, but it wasn't as bad as a shot of morphine. "

chrys2013 (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2013

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I have Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraines, and I was prescribed Midrin and Imitrex. Midrin is the only medication I've ever had that truly helped the migraines! I don't know if it was taken off the market and put back on, but I just got my first prescription for it about 2 months ago, and have since refilled it once. So I know it's available where I am."

MeghanFB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2013

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am so glad that they brought back Midrin, it always worked well for me. My neurologist prescribed me another medication to take its place that contained a barbiturate, so rather than take that I suffered through work because it left me with a foggy feeling. With Midrin I can function with a clear mind and is quicker acting than the medication regime than the Toradol/Zofran combination that my PCP prescribed. I don't notice any side effects with my preventatives either as I did with the other."

Nurse4life72 July 10, 2013

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "I was diagnosed with severe headaches at the age of three. My doctors concluded I was born with severe headaches and was finally able to explain my pain at age three. I have been taking Midrin since 1988 and I thank my doctor for prescribing it. Every time a new Headache medicine came out I tried it, none of them did anything to relieve my pain ever. Yes, narcotic medicines help to lessen the pain until the pain ceases. Midrin is the only medicine I have ever taken that actually repairs the problem. I take 2 Midrin and a Flexeril at the onset, or as soon as I can and one Midrin every hour to a maximum of 5 in a 24 hour period until the I feel relief coming on. Midrin has never failed me, ever."

Shele (taken for 10 years or more) August 22, 2012

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "Sometimes it worked nad sometimes not, but the best thing I've had yet and nothing has duplicated its effects yet."

Anonymous March 11, 2012

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "Midrin was the only thing that helped my migraines. Normally only one pill took care of the migraine if I took it right away. And I had no side effects. I could work, drive, do everything with no problem. I had problems with other migraine medications, including bad side effects from the generic version of Midrin. But the name brand was great. I can't believe it was taken off the market. "

Suffering in Tampa March 10, 2012

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "If taken soon enough, Midrin works wonders for the migraines I get. I have tried dozens of medications over the last 10 years. It is so sad that the FDA has banned Midrin from being sold. I think all of us need to create a petition or something to show that this medication works for us and we need it back!"

Anonymous February 18, 2012

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate): "It worked great. "

danyellrk July 20, 2011