User Reviews for Acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate

Also known as: Alidrin, Amidrine, Diacetazone, Duradrin, Epidrin, IDA, Iso-Acetazone, Isocom, LarkaDrin, Midchlor, Midrin, Migquin, Migragesic IDA, Migrapap, Migratine, Migrazone, Migrex, Migrin-A, Mitride, Nodolor …show all brand names

Headache
8.8

Summary of Acetaminophen/dichloralphenazone/isometheptene mucate reviews 8.8 75 reviews

Reviews for Acetaminophen/dichloralphenazone/isometheptene mucate

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I have suffered from terrible migraines for many many years. Tried many different things from my family doctor and nothing would take away my headaches. Finally my Dr sent me to a neurologist and she put me on midrin and it was a miracle ! I took my first midrin pill and Just like that, (snap), my headache goes away! Usually only need one to get rid of it, on rare occasion had to take another. It never failed me and I had zero side effects and did not ever feel high or impaired in any way whatsoever. And it is not addictive! And I agree with the other lady that commented on this medication, we need to start a petition or send letters or call the surgeon general or someone in the government to stop this insanity of not permitting this long time, proven safe and effective and non addictive medicine that has hardly any side affects (in most cases NO SIDE EFFECTS) tried and true for decades migraine. Lets get MEDICATION back in pharmacy's in America!"

Possum September 26, 2018

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I used to have bad migraines and I could ALWAYS count on Midrin to stop it in short time. In the 1980'S when I took it, it would give you a distinct celery taste in your mouth as you felt your headache melt away. I eventually quit getting headaches...until recently. I was surprised that my doctors were unfamiliar with Midrin since it was so effective. But I was even more surprised to learn that Midrin in its original form, was discontinued. Why?? Anyway, tonight I bought a generic version, which was NOT covered by my insurance. No classic celery taste any more and it took a little longer, but my headache is 90% gone after 1 hour. Not as good as the original but still great med."

Cardinal (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2018

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Midrin was the best migraine medication! As far as I know I cannot get it anywhere in the area that I live locally in Lake City Florida. I was reading this post to see if anyone had any ideas. I guess I will check on having it compounded at a pharmacy. I have tried Fioricet and fiorinal and they work but my doctor does not like to prescribe them because they have the potential for dependency. She has prescribed for me amerge, it is a triptan and it works but my insurance does not want to pay for it. I do have high blood pressure and sometimes it affects that. Sometimes I use toradol and that works, but it cannot be used regularly."

Dede (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 8, 2018

Epidrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Coping with photophobia and migraine with aura for over 20 years has been a disabling part of my life. I have been getting 40 injections every 10 weeks and this medication is the ONLY breakthrough medication that allows me to resume any daily activities during a migraine until my next course of treatment. Other medications have exacerbated my symptoms or added new side effects that make it intolerable. This has allowed me to live as normal a life as I can."

Maz August 17, 2018

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Midrin is the only medication that I have had success with to combat a migraine. I could take it at the onset of a migraine to stop the pain dead in it's tracks. I'm currently taking Sumatriptan (generic Imitrex) which makes me sleepy enough to sleep through the pain but doesn't always elevate the pain. I've been researching Midrin today to learn whether or not it will ever be available again for migraines but I'm not having much luck. Posting here to see if anyone knows the status and to ask other what meds they used if Imitrex didn't work for them."

LadyCroff (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2018

Migrex (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I’ve taken one pill a day and it stopped headache in about an hour but headache didn’t return for 24 hours. I was afraid to take migrex because company didn’t require prescription. I think it has different ingredients depending on the country it is from. Also, it contains Tylenol (under the chemical name acetaminophen). I took the drug because I have severe pain almost 3/4 of the month and I had such a horrid headache I wouldn’t have cared if migrex killed me. What a surprise! I have imitrex and am suppose to use sumatriptan stat and migrex long term. Odd company didn’t require prescription??? That makes me nervous."

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2018

For Headache: "I have a history of migraines with aura (my mom has them too), and a few years ago my doctor prescribed me generic Midrin when I was having some of the most excruciating migraines of my life because of hormone fluctuations. I was very sceptical that it would do anything more than ibuprofen or excedrin ever had, but was blown away that it actually reduced 95% my symptoms when they struck! I didn't think anything could actually cover up the pain and nausea and sensitivity. I now keep a bottle of Midrin handy in my medicine cabinet for when I get those debilitating migraines that nothing else will touch. Thankfully I don't get them too often since Medicaid won't cover it and the cost is 180$... :("

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2018

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Midrin was the most effective medication I've ever taken for migraine. I can not take triptans as they cause my blood pressure to rise dangerously. When it was discontinued I was given multi other drugs to use without success. Now I stick with over the counter and suffer when they are ineffective."

nursecheri27 February 16, 2018

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Midrin is the only medication that has worked for my migraines."

Nedtron January 17, 2018

For Headache: "Loved Loved Loved this medication. It knocked my headaches out in 10 minutes and It also reduced the amount of times I got them. I was so sad when my doctor stopped proscribing them to me due to my insurance"

Brittny (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2017

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Like previous reviewers, I find the Midrin substitute hit-or-miss. Taking Midrin early or late in the headache seems not to matter; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I took Midrin in the early 80s, and it worked every time, and fast. (the effect was as if my head just floated away, but I could still function). With the Midrin substitutes, the headache just slowly subsides. Either the formula is different or I am, but it's not the product it used to be. Still, it's the only thing that comes close to working for me."

Ratking (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

For Headache: "The only thing that works for the complex migraines w/ vertigo and gastroparesis that I get as a result from a vagal nerve injury. Other migraine medications have caused heart complications, so this is it for me. It's terrifying whenever there's a shortage."

Samsa May 5, 2017

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "For me Midrin is very hit or miss, when I take it at onset of a bad headache, sometimes the headache just in time vanishes before it ever begins, then sometimes its as if I took a placebo, granted the drug has 0 side effects for me. Overall, it's worth having if you have back-up drugs for when it does not work. For those of you that like myself get a terrible trifecta of Migraine, Tension, and Cluster Headaches. You probably know like me that no meds really take the headache away completely once you have one."

docday93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2017

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I began having vascular migraines in the 70s and nothing worked until I was prescribed midrin. My rating is for the current midrin formula as it doesn't seem to work as well as it did back in the day when I was first prescribed it... back then it far surpassed 10! It is still an effective migraine drug with less side effects than some other drugs that I was prescribed when midrin was unavailable. It works quickly and, unless it is a really bad migraine, basically allows me to still be able to function once the headache subsides. Currently, my Medicare drug plan doesn't cover it and it is expensive--- over $3.00 a capsule, unless you can find a coupon. Last time it was filled I had a coupon and paid $1.12 a capsule."

swilliams.ar April 8, 2017

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "As of this review (Spring 2017) only one company makes it (Macoven Pharma.) It is the best migraine treatment for me whatever variation of name it is dispensed as: "Midrin" "Commonly known as Midrin" "Epidrin" "isometheptene-dichloralphenazone-acetaminophen" "Isometh/Dich/Apap 65-100-325." At onset of migraine I take 2 capsules Midrin and 20-30 minutes later the migraine just starts to disappear. Make me sleepy - that's the only downside and one I can manage. Usually first dose is enough, occasionally I take one more Midrin capsule an hour later. I went through years trying out various Rx's, shots, treatments with my doctor, but once we tried Midrin I got my life back. Difficult to find pharmacy to supply, but worth it!"

LivingInOhio (taken for 10 years or more) March 20, 2017

For Headache: "Midrin, Epidrin, isometheptene-dichloralphenazone-acetaminophen, Isometh/Dich/Apap 65-100-325, whatever variation of name it is dispensed as, it is the best migraine treatment for me. It must be administered early into the headache or it is much less effective. That's the only downside, and one I've managed to deal with successfully over many years now. I take 2 capsules at onset and one more tablet each hour after as needed (usually total of three capsules is enough!) Only side affect is it makes me sleepy. I went through two years trying out various Rx's, shots, treatments with my doctor, but once we tried Midrin I got my life back.The difficulty getting it lately has me jumping through hoops and the price skyrocketed, but it's worth it."

LivingInOhio (taken for 10 years or more) March 10, 2017

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Midrin works very well on the onset. Stops the "gritty" pain and brings my headache/beginning migraine down to almost nothing. I do get a bit lightheaded and sometimes a bit amped, but its totally worth it. I used to take 2 on the onset and rarely had to follow up on the next hour or two. Now I only take 1 on the onset and I'm fine. When the pill winds down I feel tired so I when taking the pill I plan on resting later that day and not to over-exert. I have Chiari I."

Motochique October 21, 2016

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I was having severe migraines for about 5 months. The doctor tried every medication available. I would only buy 4 because I didn't want to waste money on the whole prescription and it not work. Imitrex made me so sick!!! I had remember from the early 90's when I would get cluster headaches and the doctor put me on Midrin. Out of the blue, I asked the doctor to try this again. He didn't think it was available, but my pharmacy said they could compound it. Again I bought 4 pills, thinking I was wasting my money but desperate. Bam.... migraine stopped within 20 minutes of taking. Sometimes, it takes a second dose if I have a severe one. But, I feel it is under control now. I have fibromyalgia, the migraines are a sensory issue smells, sounds."

tparker999 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2016

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "Midrin knocks out my headache within minutes I don't know how but it works"

The headache miracle (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "This is a miracle drug! I've suffered with migraines for years and I've never been able to find a medication that helps. I take 1 Midrin at the onset of a headache and within 45 minutes it is gone. I have no side effects whatsoever. I can go about my daily routine and the medication does not effect me at all. I highly recommend this medication! I was at my wits end until I tried Midrin. Even Imitrex did not help me. But this drug did the trick!!"

Amanda082593 May 6, 2016

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "This is by far the best headache medication I've ever used. I've tried Fioricet and Imitrex and neither worked well. Fioricet made me feel as if I were high and the Imitrex made me itch all over and my heart race. The only thing with Midrin is that it needs to be taken as soon as you feel a headache coming on or it won't work well once your headache is full blown."

lopezmd July 15, 2015

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I've been taking Midrin for about ten years for my migraines. It works great if taken on time. When it was taken off the market I went through so many trial and errors with different medications that were prescribed..finally after almost 2 years without Midrin my doctor wrote me a script for Midrin and told me that I can take it to a compound pharmacy...But you have to pay out of pocket...which I do because it helps me sooo much.."

anonymous7 April 16, 2015

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "This was the first medication I received for my migraines, and it worked for 90% of my migraines. However, the side effects left me dizzy, disoriented, drowsy, and just generally intoxicated and unable to perform normal work. I switched to Fioricet, and it's been a much better experience since."

TriangularMann (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I have had horrible headaches everyday for the past 18yrs. When I was young my mother would take me to the er for them, but seeing as how I didn't have nausea or anything besides intense head pain they ruled out migraines and would just send me home hurting. I saw my first neurologist 17yrs ago and he put me on midrin. It is the only thing that ever worked for me. I moved quite a bit when I was younger so I never really had the chance to see another neurologist until about 10 yrs ago, and they wanted to try everything else first. I had an arnold chiari malformation so they blamed it and did surgery. After that they said I had pseudotumor and did regular LPs. Finally got tired of it and stopped seeing neuro 3yrs ago. Need Midrin back!"

hurting in tx (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2015

Midrin (acetaminophen / dichloralphenazone / isometheptene mucate) for Headache: "I've suffered from headaches since elementary school. Somewhat pinpointed it to sinus/allergies about 15 yrs ago since combination of Sudafed and ibuprofen was pretty effective. Take allergy shots, Allegra , Nasonex and still get the headaches unless Sudafed and ibuprofen is taken. My allergist sent me to a neurologist and prescribed Midrin. So far I like it. Took 2 at onset of headache as prescribed and it worked within 45 minutes. Felt a little weird from it. So now I just take one and it works really well all day if not longer. It actually seems to help my eyesight a little and my focus. I was also prescribed a sleep aid but haven't taken any since I really don't have trouble sleeping."

Thomas469 October 1, 2014