Generic Name: Alprazolam Extended-Release Tablets (al PRAY zoe lam)
Brand Name: Xanax XR
Medically reviewed on Feb 6, 2019
- This medicine is a benzodiazepine. The use of a benzodiazepine drug along with opioid drugs has led to very bad side effects. Side effects that have happened include slowed or trouble breathing and death. Opioid drugs include drugs like codeine, oxycodone, and morphine. Opioid drugs are used to treat pain and some are used to treat cough. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) with an opioid drug, get medical help right away if you feel very sleepy or dizzy; if you have slow, shallow, or trouble breathing; or if you pass out. Caregivers or others need to get medical help right away if the patient does not respond, does not answer or react like normal, or will not wake up.
Uses of Xanax XR:
- It is used to treat panic attacks.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Xanax XR?
- If you have an allergy to alprazolam or any other part of Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have glaucoma.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Itraconazole or ketoconazole.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Xanax XR?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- If you have been taking Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) for a long time or at high doses, it may not work as well and you may need higher doses to get the same effect. This is known as tolerance. Call your doctor if Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Have your blood work checked if you are on Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- If you start or stop smoking, talk with your doctor. How much drug you take may need to be changed.
- If you are taking digoxin, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets).
- If you are 65 or older, use Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Do not stop taking Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of signs of withdrawal. This includes seizures. If you need to stop Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets), you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant, especially in the first trimester.
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets), call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Xanax XR) best taken?
Use Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low mood (depression), thoughts of killing yourself, nervousness, emotional ups and downs, thinking that is not normal, anxiety, or lack of interest in life.
- Change in balance.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Shortness of breath.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling confused.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Trouble speaking.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Period (menstrual) changes.
What are some other side effects of Xanax XR?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling more or less hungry.
- Upset stomach.
- Change in sex interest.
- Sex problems.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Weight gain or loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Xanax XR?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets) is refilled. If you have any questions about Xanax XR (alprazolam extended-release tablets), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Xanax XR (alprazolam)
- Xanax XR Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 25 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: benzodiazepines
- FDA Alerts (1)