Generic Name: Vancomycin Oral Solution (van koe MYE sin)
Brand Name: First-Vancomycin 25, First-Vancomycin 50, Firvanq
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 13, 2020.
Uses of Vancomycin Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat diarrhea caused by a bacterial infection called C diff.
- It is used to treat a type of bowel infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Vancomycin Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to vancomycin or any other part of vancomycin oral solution.
- If you are allergic to vancomycin oral solution; any part of vancomycin oral solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take vancomycin oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Vancomycin Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take vancomycin oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Kidney problems like kidney failure have happened with vancomycin oral solution. Tell your doctor if you have ever had kidney problems.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may need to have hearing tests while you use vancomycin oral solution. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use vancomycin oral solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Vancomycin Oral Solution) best taken?
Use vancomycin oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking vancomycin oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Your pharmacist will need to mix vancomycin oral solution before you get it.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with vancomycin oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure vancomycin oral solution.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of low potassium levels like muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Pain when passing urine.
- This medicine may cause hearing loss that may not go away. The chance may be higher if you use vancomycin oral solution for a long time. Do not use vancomycin oral solution longer than you have been told by your doctor. Tell your doctor right away if you have a change in hearing or hearing loss.
What are some other side effects of Vancomycin Oral Solution?
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Back pain.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Vancomycin Oral Solution?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Be sure you know how long you can store vancomycin oral solution before you need to throw it away.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about vancomycin oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you drink alcohol while taking vancomycin?
- What is the difference between Firvanq and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit?
More about vancomycin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 36 Reviews
- Drug class: glycopeptide antibiotics
- FDA Alerts (3)
- Vancomycin injection
- Vancomycin (Advanced Reading)
- Vancomycin Intravenous, Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Vancomycin Capsules