What is the difference between Firvanq and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 13, 2023.
The difference between Firvanq (vancomycin hydrochloride) and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit, is that Firvanq is a pre-made oral solution while the FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit requires preparation by a pharmacist or other health care provider to compound vancomycin oral liquid therapy.
The Firvanq solution is commercially available in 25 mg/mL and 50 mg/mL strengths in 150 mL and 300 mL sizes, and will replace the Firvanq the FIRST-Vancomycin Unit-of-Use Compounding Kit.
What is Vancomycin? - Vancomycin is an antibiotic used to to treat Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and Staphylococcus aureus enterocolitis (inflammation of the colon and small intestines), including methicillin-resistant strains.
Related medical questions
- Can you drink alcohol while taking vancomycin?
- Does Flagyl treat UTI infections?
- Can Flagyl be used to treat diarrhea?
- Does Flagyl cause diarrhea?
- What is Vowst?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
Related support groups
- Vancomycin (17 questions, 55 members)
- Firvanq (1 questions, 3 members)
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection (11 questions, 98 members)
- Clostridial Infection (8 questions, 12 members)
- Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention (3 questions, 10 members)