What is the difference between Firvanq and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Mar 23, 2020.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
The difference between Firvanq (vancomycin hydrochloride) and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit, is that Firvanq is a pre-made oral solution while the FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit requires preparation by a pharmacist or other health care provider to compound vancomycin oral liquid therapy.
The Firvanq solution is commercially available in 25 mg/mL and 50 mg/mL strengths in 150 mL and 300 mL sizes, and will replace the Firvanq the FIRST-Vancomycin Unit-of-Use Compounding Kit.
What is Vancomycin? - Vancomycin is an antibiotic used to to treat Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and Staphylococcus aureus enterocolitis (inflammation of the colon and small intestines), including methicillin-resistant strains.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you drink alcohol while taking vancomycin?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
Related Support Groups
- Vancomycin (27 questions, 51 members)
- Clostridial Infection
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Infection (21 questions, 95 members)
- Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention