Generic Name: telavancin (TEL-a-VAN-sin)
Brand Name: Vibativ
Telavancin has an increased risk of death compared to another medicine (vancomycin) when used in patients with kidney problems who are being treated for pneumonia that you can get in the hospital. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
Telavancin may cause new or worsening kidney problems. Your kidney function will be monitored before you start telavancin, while you are using it, and after you stop telavancin.
Telavancin may cause harm to the fetus if used during pregnancy. Pregnant women should usually not use telavancin. Women who may become pregnant must have a negative pregnancy test before starting telavancin. They must also use effective birth control while they use telavancin. Talk with your doctor for more information.
Telavancin is used for:
Treating serious skin infections caused by certain bacteria. It is also used to treat certain types of pneumonia. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Telavancin is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use telavancin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in telavancin
- you have certain heart problems (eg, congenital long QT syndrome, QT interval prolongation, heart failure, severe left ventricular hypertrophy)
- you are receiving a heparin infusion through a vein
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using telavancin:
Some medical conditions may interact with telavancin. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are able to become pregnant
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to vancomycin
- if you have diarrhea, bloody stools, stomach cramps, or a fever
- if you have a history of high blood pressure, kidney problems, diabetes, heart disease or heart problems, or a family history of certain heart problems (eg, prolonged QT interval)
- if you are taking a blood thinner or medicine to control your heart rate or rhythm (eg, antiarrhythmics)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with telavancin. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain blood pressure medicines (eg, angiotensin-converting enzyme [ACE] inhibitors, angiotensin receptor blockers [ARBs]), diuretics (eg, furosemide), or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen, aspirin) because the risk of kidney problems may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if telavancin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use telavancin:
Use telavancin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Telavancin comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get telavancin refilled.
- Telavancin is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using telavancin at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use telavancin. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, use telavancin for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to use telavancin even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of telavancin, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use telavancin.
Important safety information:
- Telavancin may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use telavancin with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Telavancin only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use telavancin for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of telavancin may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Severe and sometimes fatal allergic reactions may occur after any dose of telavancin. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Telavancin may interfere with certain lab tests, including coagulation tests and urine protein tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using telavancin.
- Lab tests, including kidney function, may be performed while you use telavancin. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use telavancin with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially kidney problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Telavancin may cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while you are taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use telavancin, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of telavancin:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; foamy urine; headache; loss of appetite; metallic or soapy taste in the mouth; mild diarrhea; mild pain or redness at the injection site; nausea; taste changes; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bloody or watery stools; change in the amount of urine produced; fainting; fast or irregular heart beat; fever; flushing of the skin; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach cramps.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of telavancin:
Telavancin is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using telavancin at home, store telavancin as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about telavancin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Telavancin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take telavancin or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about telavancin. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to telavancin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using telavancin.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about telavancin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Vibativ