Generic name: Diltiazem Long-Acting Capsules [ dil-TYE-a-zem ]
Brand names: Cardizem CD, Cartia XT, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Taztia XT, Tiazac
Drug classes: Calcium channel blocking agents, Group IV antiarrhythmics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 13, 2023.
Uses of Taztia XT:
- It is used to treat high blood pressure.
- It is used to treat a type of long-term chest pain (stable angina) in some people.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Taztia XT?
- If you are allergic to Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules); any part of Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have certain types of abnormal heartbeats. There are many types of abnormal heartbeats with which Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) must not be used. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you have any of these health problems: Fluid in the lungs, low blood pressure, or recent heart attack.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Ivabradine or rifampin.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Taztia XT?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- Check blood pressure and heart rate as the doctor has told you.
- You may need to have an ECG checked before starting Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) and while taking it. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are taking Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) and have high blood pressure, talk with your doctor before using OTC products that may raise blood pressure. These include cough or cold drugs, diet pills, stimulants, ibuprofen or like products, and some natural products or aids.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- You may need to avoid drinking alcohol with some products. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to avoid drinking alcohol with Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules).
- If you are 65 or older, use Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Taztia XT) best taken?
Use Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush.
- Take Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) at the same time of day.
- Keep taking Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Some drugs may need to be taken with food or on an empty stomach. For some drugs it does not matter. Check with your pharmacist about how to take Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules).
- Some products may be opened and sprinkled on a spoonful of applesauce. Some products must be swallowed whole. Check with your pharmacist to see if you can open this product.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Slow heartbeat.
- An abnormal heartbeat that is new or worse.
- Heart failure has gotten worse in some people taking Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules). If you have heart failure, talk with your doctor. Call your doctor right away if you have shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Taztia XT?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, tired, or weak.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Taztia XT?
- Store at room temperature protected from light. Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Taztia XT (diltiazem long-acting capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Taztia XT (diltiazem)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (1)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: calcium channel blocking agents
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.