Generic Name: metaproterenol (met-a-proe-TER-e-nol)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Metaproterenol solution is used for:
Treating or preventing symptoms of asthma, emphysema, bronchitis, and other reversible breathing problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Metaproterenol solution is a beta-adrenergic agonist bronchodilator. It works by relaxing the smooth muscle in the airways, allowing air to flow in and out of the lungs more easily.
Do NOT use metaproterenol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in metaproterenol solution
- you have had an unexpected reaction to another sympathomimetic (eg, albuterol, pseudoephedrine)
- you have a fast heartbeat
- you are taking another beta-adrenergic bronchodilator (eg, albuterol) or droxidopa
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using metaproterenol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with metaproterenol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure) or high blood pressure
- if you have a history of seizures (eg, epilepsy), diabetes, an overactive thyroid, or have an adrenal gland tumor (eg, pheochromocytoma)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with metaproterenol solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the effectiveness of metaproterenol solution may be decreased
- Beta-adrenergic bronchodilators (eg, albuterol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sympathomimetics (eg, pseudoephedrine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects may be increased by metaproterenol solution
- Droxidopa because the risk of side effects, such as irregular heartbeat or heart attack, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if metaproterenol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use metaproterenol solution:
Use metaproterenol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- To use metaproterenol solution, twist open the top of the vial and pour the entire contents into the nebulizer reservoir, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Do not use metaproterenol solution if it is pinkish or darker than slightly yellow or contains particles.
- Connect the nebulizer reservoir to the mouthpiece or face mask. Connect the nebulizer to the compressor.
- Sit in a comfortable, upright position. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth (or put on the face mask) and turn on the compressor.
- Breathe as calmly, deeply, and evenly as possible until no more mist is formed in the nebulizer chamber (about 5 to 15 minutes).
- Clean the nebulizer according to the instructions. Failure to properly clean the nebulizer could lead to bacterial contamination and you may get an infection. To avoid contamination, throw away any unused medicine after the vial has been opened.
- If you miss a dose of metaproterenol solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use metaproterenol solution.
Important safety information:
- Metaproterenol solution may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to metaproterenol solution. Using metaproterenol solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use metaproterenol solution for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If the asthma attack continues or worsens, contact your doctor.
- If the usual dose fails to provide relief or if you need to use it more often than normal, contact your doctor at once. This may be a sign of seriously worsening asthma, which may require changing your medication.
- Contact your health care provider about taking other asthma or inhaled medications while taking metaproterenol solution.
- LAB TESTS, including lung function, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use metaproterenol solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using metaproterenol solution in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use metaproterenol solution with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using metaproterenol solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if metaproterenol solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while using metaproterenol solution, contact your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of metaproterenol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; difficulty sleeping; dizziness; headache; hyperactivity; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset; throat irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; increased difficulty breathing; itching; numbness of an arm or leg; pounding in the chest; severe or persistent dizziness; sudden, severe headache; swelling; tremors; vision changes; vomiting; wheezing; worsened asthma symptoms.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include chest pain; fast or irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent nervousness, headache, nausea, dizziness, or trouble sleeping.Proper storage of metaproterenol solution:
Store metaproterenol solution at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep metaproterenol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about metaproterenol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Metaproterenol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about metaproterenol solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about metaproterenol
- Metaproterenol aerosol
- Metaproterenol syrup
- Metaproterenol (Advanced Reading)
- Metaproterenol Inhalation (Advanced Reading)
- Other brands: Alupent