Generic name: Fluvastatin Capsules (FLOO va STAT in)
Brand name: Lescol
Drug class: Statins
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 18, 2020.
Uses of Fluvastatin Capsules:
- It is used to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol (HDL).
- It is used to lower triglycerides.
- It is used to slow the progress of heart disease.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Fluvastatin Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to fluvastatin or any other part of this medicine (fluvastatin capsules).
- If you are allergic to this medicine (fluvastatin capsules); any part of this medicine (fluvastatin capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Active liver disease or a rise in liver enzymes.
- If you are taking gemfibrozil.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take this medicine (fluvastatin capsules) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take this medicine (fluvastatin capsules).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine (fluvastatin capsules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (fluvastatin capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Fluvastatin Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (fluvastatin capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Do not take more than what your doctor told you to take. Taking more than you are told may raise your chance of very bad side effects.
- If you take colesevelam, colestipol, or cholestyramine, talk with your pharmacist about how to take them with this medicine (fluvastatin capsules).
- Avoid or limit drinking alcohol to less than 3 drinks a day. Drinking too much alcohol may raise your chance of liver disease.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine (fluvastatin capsules) with care. You could have more side effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking this medicine (fluvastatin capsules), call your doctor right away.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking this medicine (fluvastatin capsules).
How is this medicine (Fluvastatin Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (fluvastatin capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take this medicine (fluvastatin capsules) at the same time of day.
- Keep taking this medicine (fluvastatin capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take with or without food.
- If you have trouble swallowing, talk with your doctor.
- Do not open the capsules.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it has been 12 hours or more since the missed dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad headache.
- Change in balance.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Feeling confused.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Pain when passing urine.
- This medicine may cause muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness. Sometimes, a very bad muscle problem may happen that may lead to kidney problems. Rarely, deaths have happened in people who get these problems when taking drugs like this one. Call your doctor right away if you have muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness that is not normal (with or without fever or feeling out of sorts). Call your doctor right away if you have muscle signs that last after your doctor has told you to stop taking this medicine (fluvastatin capsules).
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Fluvastatin Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Upset stomach.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Not able to sleep.
- Flu-like signs.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Fluvastatin Capsules?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (fluvastatin capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about fluvastatin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: statins
- Latest FDA Alerts (3)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.