Generic Name: dalbavancin (DAL-ba-VAN-sin)
Brand Name: Dalvance
Dalvance is used for:
Treating serious skin infections caused by certain bacteria.
Dalvance is an antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Dalvance if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dalvance
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dalvance:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dalvance. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are allergic to telavancin or vancomycin
- if you have kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dalvance. However, no specific interactions with Dalvance are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Dalvance may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dalvance:
Use Dalvance as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dalvance is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Dalvance at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Dalvance. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Dalvance for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to use Dalvance even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Dalvance, call your doctor to find out what to do.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dalvance.
Important safety information:
- Dalvance only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Dalvance for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Dalvance may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious and sometimes fatal form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Dalvance. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dalvance while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Dalvance, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Dalvance:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; headache; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest or throat; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bloody or watery stools; flushing of the skin; severe or persistent diarrhea; stomach cramps; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, pale stools, persistent loss of appetite, right-sided stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dalvance:
Dalvance is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Dalvance at home, store Dalvance as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Dalvance out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dalvance, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dalvance is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Dalvance or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Dalvance. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Dalvance. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Dalvance.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Dalvance (dalbavancin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating