Cefixime chewable tabletsPronunciation
Generic Name: cefixime (sef-IX-eem)
Brand Name: Suprax
Cefixime chewable tablets are used for:
Treating infections caused by certain bacteria.
Cefixime chewable tablets are a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use cefixime chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in cefixime chewable tablets or to other cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using cefixime chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with cefixime chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin (eg, amoxicillin) or beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have diarrhea, stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation), bleeding or blood clotting problems, liver problems, poor nutrition, or phenylketonuria
- if you have a history of kidney problems or you are on dialysis treatment
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with cefixime chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or carbamazepine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by cefixime chewable tablets
- BCG vaccine or a live typhoid vaccine because their effectiveness may be decreased by cefixime chewable tablets
Ask your health care provider if cefixime chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use cefixime chewable tablets:
Use cefixime chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take cefixime chewable tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Chew or crush cefixime chewable tablets before swallowing. Do not swallow cefixime chewable tablets whole.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using cefixime chewable tablets for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of cefixime chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use cefixime chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Cefixime chewable tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use cefixime chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not change dose forms (eg, tablets, capsules, suspension) of cefixime chewable tablets without talking with your doctor.
- Cefixime chewable tablets contains phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, check with your doctor before you take this product.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Cefixime chewable tablets only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use cefixime chewable tablets for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of cefixime chewable tablets may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Cefixime chewable tablets may reduce the ability of your blood to clot. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Do not receive a BCG vaccine or a live oral typhoid vaccine while you are taking cefixime chewable tablets. It may not work as well. Talk with your doctor if you are scheduled to receive a BCG vaccine or a typhoid vaccine.
- Diabetes patients - Cefixime chewable tablets may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose or urine ketones to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Cefixime chewable tablets may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using cefixime chewable tablets.
- Cefixime chewable tablets should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using cefixime chewable tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use cefixime chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of cefixime chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; gas; heartburn; loose stools; nausea; stomach pain or upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bloody stools; decreased urination; fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; severe stomach pain or cramping; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vaginal discharge or itching; white spots in the mouth; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of cefixime chewable tablets:
Store cefixime chewable tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep cefixime chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about cefixime chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cefixime chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take cefixime chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about cefixime chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to cefixime chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using cefixime chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about cefixime
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Suprax