Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone
Generic name: Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone (KAL see um KAR bun ate & sye METH i kone)
Brand name: Alka-Seltzer Heartburn + Gas, Gas-X with Maalox Extra Strength, Maalox Advanced Maximum Strength, Maalox Junior Plus Antigas, Tums Gas Relief Chewy Bites
Drug class: Antacids
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 29, 2020.
Uses of Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone?
- If you have an allergy to calcium, simethicone, or any other part of calcium carbonate and simethicone.
- If you are allergic to calcium carbonate and simethicone; any part of calcium carbonate and simethicone; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have high calcium levels.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with calcium carbonate and simethicone.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take calcium carbonate and simethicone with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take calcium carbonate and simethicone. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than calcium carbonate and simethicone. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone) best taken?
Use calcium carbonate and simethicone as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Chew well before swallowing. Some brands may be swallowed whole or dissolved in your mouth. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Calcium Carbonate and Simethicone?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about calcium carbonate and simethicone, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about calcium carbonate / simethicone
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: antacids
- Other brands
- Alka-Seltzer Heartburn + Gas, Tums Chewy Bites with Gas Relief (Lemon & Strawberry), Gas-X with Maalox Extra Strength
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.