Amoxicillin chewable tabletsPronunciation
Generic Name: amoxicillin (a-MOX-i-SIL-in)
Brand Name: Amoxil
Amoxicillin chewable tablets are used for:
Treating infections caused by certain bacteria. It is also used with other medicines to treat Helicobacter pylori infection and ulcers of the small intestines.
Amoxicillin chewable tablets are a penicillin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use amoxicillin chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in amoxicillin chewable tablets or another penicillin antibiotic (eg, ampicillin)
- you have infectious mononucleosis (mono)
- you are taking a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using amoxicillin chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with amoxicillin chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of asthma, hay fever, or hives
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to a cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin) or another beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have kidney problems, phenylketonuria, or gonorrhea
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with amoxicillin chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased
- Probenecid because it may increase the risk of amoxicillin chewable tablets's side effects
- Chloramphenicol, macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin), sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole), or tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline) because they may decrease amoxicillin chewable tablets's effectiveness
- Methotrexate because the risk of its side effects may be increased by amoxicillin chewable tablets
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) because their effectiveness may be decreased by amoxicillin chewable tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if amoxicillin chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use amoxicillin chewable tablets:
Use amoxicillin chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take amoxicillin chewable tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Chew amoxicillin chewable tablets well before swallowing.
- To clear up your infection completely, take amoxicillin chewable tablets for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of amoxicillin chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use amoxicillin chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Amoxicillin chewable tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use amoxicillin chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Amoxicillin chewable tablets only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use amoxicillin chewable tablets for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of amoxicillin chewable tablets may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, oral typhoid vaccine) while you are taking amoxicillin chewable tablets. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using amoxicillin chewable tablets. To prevent pregnancy, use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms).
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Brown, yellow, or gray tooth discoloration has occurred rarely in some patients taking amoxicillin chewable tablets. It occurred most often in children. The discoloration was reduced or removed by brushing or dental cleaning in most cases. Contact your doctor if you experience this effect.
- Diabetes patients - Amoxicillin chewable tablets may cause the results of some tests for urine glucose to be wrong. Ask your doctor before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed if you use amoxicillin chewable tablets for a long period of time. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using amoxicillin chewable tablets in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using amoxicillin chewable tablets while you are pregnant. Amoxicillin chewable tablets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use amoxicillin chewable tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of amoxicillin chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); behavior changes; bloody stools; confusion; dark urine; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea; severe stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vaginal discharge or irritation; white patches in the mouth or on the tongue; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased urination.Proper storage of amoxicillin chewable tablets:
Store amoxicillin chewable tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep amoxicillin chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about amoxicillin chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Amoxicillin chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take amoxicillin chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about amoxicillin chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to amoxicillin chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using amoxicillin chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about amoxicillin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 150 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: aminopenicillins
- Amoxicillin capsules
- Amoxicillin drops
- Amoxicillin extended-release tablets
- Amoxicillin suspension
- Amoxicillin (Advanced Reading)