Generic Name: Alprazolam Oral Solution (al PRAY zoe lam)
Brand Name: Alprazolam Intensol
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 1, 2020.
- This medicine is a benzodiazepine. The use of a benzodiazepine drug along with opioid drugs has led to very bad side effects. Side effects that have happened include slowed or trouble breathing and death. Opioid drugs include drugs like codeine, oxycodone, and morphine. Opioid drugs are used to treat pain and some are used to treat cough. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) with an opioid drug, get medical help right away if you feel very sleepy or dizzy; if you have slow, shallow, or trouble breathing; or if you pass out. Caregivers or others need to get medical help right away if the patient does not respond, does not answer or react like normal, or will not wake up.
Uses of Alprazolam Intensol:
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Alprazolam Intensol?
- If you are allergic to Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution); any part of Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have glaucoma.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Itraconazole or ketoconazole.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Alprazolam Intensol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- If you have been taking Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) for a long time or at high doses, it may not work as well and you may need higher doses to get the same effect. This is known as tolerance. Call your doctor if Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) stops working well. Do not take more than ordered.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) affects you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Have your blood work checked if you are on Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- If you drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit often, talk with your doctor.
- If you start or stop smoking, talk with your doctor. How much drug you take may need to be changed.
- If you are 65 or older, use Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) with care. You could have more side effects.
- If you have been taking Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) on a regular basis and you stop it all of a sudden, you may have signs of withdrawal. This includes seizures. Do not stop taking Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. Tell your doctor if you have any bad effects.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant, especially in the first trimester.
- If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution), call your doctor right away.
How is this medicine (Alprazolam Intensol) best taken?
Use Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Use the dropper that comes with Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) to measure the drug.
- Mix the liquid with water, juice, soda, applesauce, or pudding before taking it.
- Swallow the mixture right away. Do not store for use at a later time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs or symptoms of depression, suicidal thoughts, emotional ups and downs, abnormal thinking, anxiety, or lack of interest in life.
- Change in balance.
- Shortness of breath.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling confused.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Trouble speaking.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Period (menstrual) changes.
What are some other side effects of Alprazolam Intensol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling more or less hungry.
- Upset stomach.
- Change in sex interest.
- Sex problems.
- Weight gain or loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Alprazolam Intensol?
- Store at room temperature protected from light. Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Throw away any part not used 90 days after opening.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution) is refilled. If you have any questions about Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam oral solution), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- How long does Xanax last for / stay in your system?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- Ativan vs Xanax - What is the difference?
- What does extended release (ER) mean?
More about Alprazolam Intensol (alprazolam)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 12 Reviews
- Drug class: benzodiazepines
- FDA Alerts (3)