Generic Name: Aripiprazole Oral Solution (ay ri PIP ray zole)
Brand Name: Abilify
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 15, 2020.
- There is a higher chance of death in older adults who take Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) for mental problems caused by dementia. Most of the deaths were linked to heart disease or infection. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
- Drugs like this one have raised the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions in children and young adults. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. All people who take Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) need to be watched closely. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
Uses of Abilify:
- It is used to treat schizophrenia.
- It is used to treat bipolar problems.
- It is used to treat low mood (depression).
- It is used to treat certain behavior problems in patients with autism.
- It is used to treat Tourette's syndrome.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Abilify?
- If you have an allergy to aripiprazole or any other part of Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution).
- If you are allergic to Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution); any part of Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Abilify?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert or have clear eyesight until you see how Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- If you are not able to break down sucrose or fructose, talk with your doctor. Some products have sucrose or fructose.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids every day unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Chance of seizures may be higher. Talk with the doctor.
- Low white blood cell counts have happened with drugs like this one. This may lead to a higher chance of infection. Rarely, infections have been deadly. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a low white blood cell count. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat.
- High blood sugar or diabetes, high cholesterol, and weight gain have happened with drugs like this one. These may raise the chance of heart and brain blood vessel disease.
- Check your blood sugar as you have been told by your doctor.
- Dizziness, sleepiness, and feeling less stable may happen with Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution). These may lead to falling, which can cause broken bones or other health problems.
- Older adults with dementia taking drugs like this one have had a higher number of strokes. Sometimes these have been deadly. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
- If you are 65 or older, use Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) while you are pregnant.
- Taking Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to uncontrolled muscle movements and withdrawal in the newborn.
How is this medicine (Abilify) best taken?
Use Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution).
- Keep taking Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Trouble controlling body movements, twitching, change in balance, trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Strong urges that are hard to control (such as eating, gambling, sex, or spending money).
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in balance.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Blurred eyesight.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
- Some people may get a severe muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. This problem may lessen or go away after stopping Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution), but it may not go away. The risk is greater with diabetes and in older adults, especially older women. The risk is greater with longer use or higher doses, but it may also occur after short-term use with low doses. Call your doctor right away if you have trouble controlling body movements or problems with your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw like tongue sticking out, puffing cheeks, mouth puckering, or chewing.
What are some other side effects of Abilify?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Weight gain.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Feeling more or less hungry.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Dry mouth.
- Stuffy nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Abilify?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- After opening, throw away any part not used after 6 months.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution) is refilled. If you have any questions about Abilify (aripiprazole oral solution), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How does Abilify MyCite work?
- Vraylar vs Abilify - How do they compare?
- What is the difference between Abilify and Abilify Maintena?
- How often is Abilify Maintena given?
- How do you administer Abilify Maintena?
More about Abilify (aripiprazole)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 883 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: atypical antipsychotics
- FDA Alerts (5)
- Abilify (Advanced Reading)
- Abilify Intramuscular (Advanced Reading)
- Abilify (Aripiprazole Injection)
- Abilify (Aripiprazole Tablets)