Assessed against UK PIL dated August 2011
By Aneela Mahmood at 4:13 pm, Dec 06, 2011
Mometasone furoate 0.1% w/w Ointment
This medicine is available under all of the above names but will be referred to as
Elocon throughout the following:
Patient Information Leaflet
Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start using this medicine.
- Keep this leaflet. You may need to read it again.
- If you have any further questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- This medicine has been prescribed for you. Do not pass it on to others. It may
harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as yours.
- If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed
in this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
In this leaflet:
1. What Elocon is and what it is used for
2. Before you use Elocon
3. How to use Elocon
4. Possible side effects
5. How to store Elocon
6. Further information
What Elocon is and what it is used for
Elocon is one of a group of medicines called topical corticosteroids. It is classified
as a “potent corticosteroid”. These medicines are put on the surface of the skin to
reduce the redness and itchiness caused by certain skin problems.
In adults and children, Elocon is used to reduce redness and itchiness caused by
certain skin problems called psoriasis or dermatitis.
Psoriasis is a skin disease in which itchy, scaly, pink patches develop on the
elbows, knees, scalp and other parts of the body. Dermatitis is a condition brought
on by the skin reacting to outside agents e.g. detergents, causing the skin to
become red and itchy.
Before you use Elocon
Do not use Elocon
• if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to mometasone furoate, any of the other
ingredients of Elocon, or to similar medicines.
• on any other skin problems as it could make them worse especially
– rosacea (a skin condition affecting the face)
– skin atrophy (thinning of the skin)
– dermatitis around the mouth
– genital itching
– nappy rash
– cold sores
– ulcerated skin
– other skin infections.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Take special care with Elocon
• if your skin becomes irritated or sensitive after using Elocon, you should stop
using it and tell your doctor.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
You should tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, before you start
Important information about some of the ingredients of Elocon
Elocon contains propylene glycolstearate, which can cause skin irritation.
How to use Elocon
Always use Elocon exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your
doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure. Elocon is not recommended for children
under the age of 2.
Usually for adults and children, a thin layer of Elocon should be gently rubbed into
the affected area of skin once a day.
You should always follow these instructions when using Elocon:
• Do not use the ointment on your face for more than 5 days.
• Do not apply the ointment to children, on any part of their body, for more than 5
• Do not put the ointment under your child’s nappy, as this makes it easier for the
active drug to pass through the skin and possibly cause some unwanted
• You should check with your doctor before covering the treated areas with a
bandage or plaster. Treated areas on the face or in children should not be
covered with a bandage or plaster.
• You should not use a large amount of ointment on large areas of the body for a
long time (for example every day for many weeks or months).
• Do not use in or around your eyes, including eye-lids.
If you use more Elocon than you should
If you (or somebody else) accidentally swallows the ointment, it should not produce
any problems. However, if you are worried, you should see your doctor.
If you use the ointment more often than you should, or on large areas of the body, it
can affect some of your hormones. In children, this may affect their growth and
If you have not used the ointment as you were told to do and have used it too often
and/or for a long time, you should tell your doctor.
If you forget to use Elocon
If you forget to use your ointment at the right time, use it as soon as you remember,
then carry on as before.
If you stop using Elocon
If you have been using Elocon for a long time and your skin problem seems to have
got better, you should not suddenly stop using the ointment. If you do, you may find
that your skin becomes red and you may notice stinging or burning. To avoid this,
you should speak to your doctor as he will gradually reduce how often you need to
use the ointment until you stop treatment altogether.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, Elocon can cause side effects, although not everybody gets
A few people may find that they suffer from some of the following side effects after
• allergic skin reactions
• bacterial and secondary skin infections
• inflammation and/ or infection of the hair follicles
• thinning of the skin
• red marks with associated prickly heat
• loss of skin colour
• excessive hair growth
• softening of the skin and stretch marks
Other side effects that may occur with topical corticosteroids are dry skin, skin
irritation, dermatitis, dermatitis around the mouth, and small dilated blood vessels.
If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in
this leaflet, please tell your doctor or pharmacist.
How to store Elocon
• The ointment should be stored between 2 and 30°C.
• Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
• Do not use Elocon after the expiry date which is printed on the pack.
• Medicines should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste.
your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required. These
measures will help to protect the environment.
What Elocon contains
• The active substance is mometasone furoate 0.1 %w/w. Each gram of ointment
contains 1 milligram of the active ingredient, mometasone furoate.
• The other ingredients are hexylene glycol, phosphoric acid, propylene glycol
stearate, white bees wax, white soft paraffin and purified water.
What Elocon looks like and contents of the pack
Elocon is a white ointment, in a metal collapsible tube with a white plastic cap.
It is available in a tube containing 30 g.
Manufacturer and Product Licence Holder:
This product is manufactured by Schering-Plough S.A., Km. 36 Ctra. Nal. 1, San
Agustin de Guadalix, Madrid, Spain. It is procured from within the EU by the product
licence holder: Swinghope Ltd, Brandon House, Marlowe Way, Croydon CR0 4XS
and repackaged by Interport Ltd, Brandon House, Marlowe Way, Croydon CR0
PL No: 10380/1087
Elocon® is a registered trademark of Schering Corporation, USA.
Leaflet revision date: 01/12/11