Tilade Side Effects
Generic Name: nedocromil
Note: This document contains side effect information about nedocromil. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Tilade.
For the Consumer
Applies to nedocromil: inhalation aerosol powder
Along with its needed effects, nedocromil (the active ingredient contained in Tilade) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking nedocromil:
- Abdominal pain
- body aches or pain
- dryness or soreness of throat
- ear congestion
- increased wheezing, tightness in chest, or difficulty in breathing
- loss of voice
- nasal congestion
- noisy breathing
- runny nose
- shortness of breath
- stuffy nose
- tender, swollen glands in neck
- trouble in swallowing
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- voice changes
- Pain, stiffness, or swelling of joints
Some side effects of nedocromil may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to nedocromil: inhalation aerosol with adapter
Gastrointestinal side effects have included unpleasant taste which was reported in approximately 13% of patients receiving nedocromil (the active ingredient contained in Tilade) and resulted in drug withdrawal in up to 3%. Less commonly, nedocromil has caused nausea and vomiting (2% to 4%).[Ref]
Throat irritation may be relieved by drinking water before and after inhalation of nedocromil (the active ingredient contained in Tilade) Use of a beta-2 agonist prior to nedocromil inhalation may relieve cough and bronchospasm.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included cough and throat irritation in 6% to 7% of patients treated with nedocromil. Bronchospasm has been induced in 5% of patients.[Ref]
1. Dejong JW, Teengs JP, Postma DS, Vandermark TW, Koeter GH, Demonchy JGR "Nedocromil sodium versus albuterol in the management of allergic asthma." Am J Respir Crit Care Med 149 (1994): 91-7
2. "Product Information. Tilade (nedocromil)." Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Collegeville, PA.
3. Gonzalez JP, Brogden RN "Nedocromil sodium. A preliminary review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of reversible obstructive airways disease." Drugs 34 (1987): 560-77
4. Rebuck AS, Kesten S, Boulet LP, Cartier A, Cockcroft D, Gruber J, Laberge F, Lee-Chuy E, Keshmiri M, MacDonald GF, et al "A 3-month evaluation of the efficacy of nedocromil sodium in asthma: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of nedocromil sodium conducted by a Canadian multicenter study group." J Allergy Clin Immunol 85 (1990): 612-7
5. Brogden RN, Sorkin EM "Nedocromil sodium. An updated review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in asthma." Drugs 45 (1993): 693-715
6. Parish RC, Miller LJ "Nedocromil sodium." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 599-606
7. Foulds RA "An overview of human safety data with nedocromil sodium." J Allergy Clin Immunol 92 (1993): 202-4
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.