Tilade Side Effects
Generic Name: nedocromil
Note: This document contains side effect information about nedocromil. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Tilade.
Applies to nedocromil: inhalation aerosol with adapter
Gastrointestinal side effects have included unpleasant taste which was reported in approximately 13% of patients receiving nedocromil (the active ingredient contained in Tilade) and resulted in drug withdrawal in up to 3%. Less commonly, nedocromil has caused nausea and vomiting (2% to 4%).[Ref]
Throat irritation may be relieved by drinking water before and after inhalation of nedocromil (the active ingredient contained in Tilade) Use of a beta-2 agonist prior to nedocromil inhalation may relieve cough and bronchospasm.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included cough and throat irritation in 6% to 7% of patients treated with nedocromil. Bronchospasm has been induced in 5% of patients.[Ref]
1. Dejong JW, Teengs JP, Postma DS, Vandermark TW, Koeter GH, Demonchy JGR "Nedocromil sodium versus albuterol in the management of allergic asthma." Am J Respir Crit Care Med 149 (1994): 91-7
2. Rebuck AS, Kesten S, Boulet LP, Cartier A, Cockcroft D, Gruber J, Laberge F, Lee-Chuy E, Keshmiri M, MacDonald GF, et al "A 3-month evaluation of the efficacy of nedocromil sodium in asthma: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of nedocromil sodium conducted by a Canadian multicenter study group." J Allergy Clin Immunol 85 (1990): 612-7
3. Gonzalez JP, Brogden RN "Nedocromil sodium. A preliminary review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties, and therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of reversible obstructive airways disease." Drugs 34 (1987): 560-77
4. Foulds RA "An overview of human safety data with nedocromil sodium." J Allergy Clin Immunol 92 (1993): 202-4
5. Brogden RN, Sorkin EM "Nedocromil sodium. An updated review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in asthma." Drugs 45 (1993): 693-715
6. "Product Information. Tilade (nedocromil)." Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, Collegeville, PA.
7. Parish RC, Miller LJ "Nedocromil sodium." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 599-606
More about Tilade (nedocromil)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: mast cell stabilizers
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.