Tegaserod Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to tegaserod: oral tablets
Side effects include:
Patients with chronic idiopathic constipation: diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, abdominal distension, upper abdominal pain, vomiting, dizziness, insomnia, aggravated headache, fatigue, upper respiratory tract infection, sinusitis, fungal infection, back pain, myalgia, dysmenorrhea, pharyngitis, sinus congestion, urinary tract infection, rash, pruritus.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to tegaserod: oral tablet
Cardiovascular side effects have included hypotension, angina pectoris, syncope, arrhythmia, bundle branch block, supraventricular tachycardia, and flushing. A case of myocardial infarction has been reported.[Ref]
Myocardial infarction has been reported in a 64-year-old male after receiving two doses of tegaserod 6 mg.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have included abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, flatulence, abdominal distention and pain, vomiting, dyspepsia, gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux, hemorrhoids, and proctalgia. Irritable colon, fecal incontinence, tenesmus, increased appetite, eructation, appendicitis, bilirubinemia, subileus, sphincter of Oddi spasm, bile duct stone, ischemic colitis, mesenteric ischemia, gangrenous bowel, rectal bleeding, and increases in abdominal surgeries, primarily cholecystectomies, have also been reported; however, causality was not clearly established.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included increased SGOT and SGPT. Hepatitis, elevation in ALT, AST, and bilirubin have been reported during postmarketing experience.[Ref]
Musculoskeletal side effects have included back pain, arthropathy, and myalgia. Other effects, regardless of causality, have included cramps.[Ref]
Oncologic side effects have included breast carcinoma.[Ref]
Endocrine side effects have included increased sweating.[Ref]
Renal side effects have included renal pain and albuminuria.[Ref]
Side effects affecting the body as a whole have included accidental trauma (3% vs. 2% for placebo) and leg pain (1% vs. less than 1% for placebo). Other effects, regardless of causality, have included pain and facial edema.[Ref]
1. Morganroth J, Ruegg PC, Dunger-Baldauf C, Appel-Dingemanse S, Bliesath H, Lefkowitz M "Tegaserod, a 5-hydroxytryptamine type 4 receptor partial agonist, is devoid of electrocardiographic effects." Am J Gastroenterol 97 (2002): 2321-7
2. "Product Information. Zelnorm (tegaserod)." Novartis Pharmaceuticals, East Hanover, NJ.
3. Busti AJ, Murillo JR Jr, Cryer B "Tegaserod-induced myocardial infarction: case report and hypothesis." Pharmacotherapy 24 (2004): 526-31
4. Bertoli R, Girardin F, Russmann S, Lauterburg BH "Raynaud's phenomenon induced by drugs acting on neurotransmission: two cases under reboxetine and one under tegaserod." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 58 (2003): 717
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about tegaserod
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 29 Reviews
- Drug class: serotoninergic neuroenteric modulators
Other brands: Zelnorm