Sleep-ettes D Side Effects
Generic name: diphenhydramine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 4, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about diphenhydramine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Sleep-ettes D.
For the Consumer
Applies to diphenhydramine: oral capsules and tablets, parenteral injection
Side effects include:
Sedation, sleepiness, dizziness, disturbed coordination, epigastric distress, thickening of bronchial secretions.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to diphenhydramine: compounding powder, injectable solution, oral capsule, oral disintegrating strip, oral liquid, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet disintegrating
The most commonly reported side effects included somnolence, dizziness, and incoordination.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Sedation/somnolence/sleepiness, drowsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness, headache, attention disturbance
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Extrapyramidal effects, tremor, convulsions
Drowsiness usually diminishes after a few days.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Confusion, depression, sleep disturbances
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Blood disorders
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Hypersensitivity reactions
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Liver dysfunction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Blurred vision, dry eyes, diplopia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Increased appetite, anorexia[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- How much Benadryl can I take? What is too much?
- What is the max dose of diphenhydramine for adults?
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride vs Citrate: What's the difference?
- Does diphenhydramine raise blood pressure?
More about Sleep-ettes D (diphenhydramine)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: anticholinergic antiemetics
Related treatment guides
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. "Product Information. Benadryl Childrens Allergy Fastmelt (diphenhydrAMINE)." Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group, New York, NY.
3. "Product Information. Benadryl (diphenhydramine)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.