Lipidil Supra Side Effects
Generic Name: fenofibrate
Note: This document contains side effect information about fenofibrate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Lipidil Supra.
For the Consumer
Applies to fenofibrate: oral capsule, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, fenofibrate (the active ingredient contained in Lipidil Supra) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking fenofibrate:Less common
- Chronic indigestion
- dark urine
- muscle cramps, pain, stiffness, swelling, or weakness
- troubled breathing
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness
- yellow eyes or skin
- bloody urine
- decreased frequency or amount of urine
- lower back or side pain
- pains in the stomach, side, or abdomen, possibly radiating to the back
- swelling of the face, fingers, or lower legs
- swollen joints
- upper right abdominal or stomach pain
Some side effects of fenofibrate may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Runny nose
- stuffy nose
- Lack or loss of strength
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to fenofibrate: oral capsule, oral tablet
Common (1% to 10%): Liver function tests abnormal, AST increased, ALT increased
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cholelithiasis
Rare (less than 0.1%): Hepatitis
Postmarketing reports: Cirrhosis, liver fatty deposit, cholecystitis, jaundice, cholangitis, biliary colic[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Rhinitis (up to 23.2%), bronchitis (16.4%)
Common (1% to 10%): Respiratory disorder, pharyngitis, sinusitis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Pulmonary embolism
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Interstitial pneumopathy
Frequency not reported: Cough increased, dyspnea, asthma, pneumonia, laryngitis
Postmarketing reports: Interstitial lung disease[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Arthralgia (up to 25.1%), back pain (up to 15%)
Common (1% to 10%): Back pain, myalgia
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Diffuse myalgia, myositis, muscle cramp, muscle weakness
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Rhabdomyolysis
Frequency not reported: Arthritis, tenosynovitis, joint disorder, arthrosis, leg cramp, bursitis, myasthenia
Postmarketing reports: Muscle spasm[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Abdominal pain (up to 15.9%)
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea, constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, flatulence
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Pancreatitis
Frequency not reported: Dyspepsia, gastroenteritis, rectal disorder, esophagitis, gastritis, colitis, tooth disorder, gastrointestinal disorder, duodenal ulcer, peptic ulcer, rectal hemorrhage, eructation, gamma glutamyl transpeptidase, dry mouth[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Rash, pruritus, urticaria
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Photosensitivity reaction
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Alopecia
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Cutaneous photosensitivity with erythema, vesiculation, nodulation
Frequency not reported: Erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis, eczema, acne, sweating, fungal dermatitis, skin disorder, contact dermatitis, maculopapular rash, nail disorder, skin ulcer
Postmarketing reports: Ecchymosis[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Deep vein thrombosis
Frequency not reported: Angina pectoris, hypertension, vasodilatation, coronary artery disorder, electrocardiogram abnormal, extrasystole, myocardial infarct, peripheral vascular disorder, varicose vein, cardiovascular disorder, hypotension, palpitation, arrhythmia, phlebitis, tachycardia, atrial fibrillation[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Accidental injury (up to 18.4%), flu syndrome (up to 17.9%), chest pain (up to 10.1%)
Common (1% to 10%): Creatine phosphokinase increased, malaise, vertigo, fatigue
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Serum creatinine increased, urea increased
Rare (less than 0.1%): Sexual asthenia
Frequency not reported: Pain, infection, cyst, hernia, fever, peripheral edema, ear pain, otitis media, herpes zoster, herpes simplex, weight gain, weight loss, edema
Postmarketing reports: Asthenia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Kidney function abnormal, urolithiasis
Postmarketing reports: Renal failure, acute renal failure[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Diabetes mellitus[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Hypersensitivity reaction
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Triglide (fenofibrate)." Sciele Pharma Inc, Atlanta, GA.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Antara (fenofibrate)." Lupin Pharmaceuticals Inc, Baltimore, MD.
4. "Product Information. Tricor (fenofibrate)." Abbott Pharmaceutical, Abbott Park, IL.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
6. "Product Information. Lipofen (fenofibrate)." Kowa Pharmaceuticals America (formerly ProEthic), Montgomery, AL.
7. "Product Information. Fenofibrate (fenofibrate)." Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, Morgantown, WV.
8. "Product Information. Lofibra (fenofibrate)." Teva Pharmaceuticals (formerly Gate Pharmaceuticals), Sellersville, PA.
9. "Product Information. Fenoglide (fenofibrate)." Santarus Inc, San Diego, CA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Lipidil Supra (fenofibrate)
- Lipidil Supra Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: fibric acid derivatives