Geocillin Side Effects
Generic name: carbenicillin
Note: This document contains side effect information about carbenicillin. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Geocillin.
Applies to carbenicillin: oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bad taste, flatulence, glossitis, abdominal cramps, dry mouth, furry tongue, rectal bleeding, anorexia, loose stools, and epigastric distress. Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported rarely.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects have included anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, neutropenia, and eosinophilia. Carbenicillin (the active ingredient contained in Geocillin) affects platelet aggregation and bleeding may occur.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included mild elevations of liver transaminases.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included vaginitis.[Ref]
More about Geocillin (carbenicillin)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Drug class: antipseudomonal penicillins
Related treatment guides
1. Saadah HA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 93 (1980): 645
2. O'Meara TF, Simmons RA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 92 (1980): 440-1
3. Huang NN, Palmer J, Keith H, Schidlow D, Braverman S, Goldberg M "Comparative efficacy and tolerance of azlocillin and carbenicillin in patients with cystic fibrosis: a double blind study." J Antimicrob Chemother 11 (1983): 205-14
4. Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Gilman AG, eds. "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 10th ed." New York, NY: McGraw-Hill (2001):
5. "Product Information. Geocillin (carbenicillin)." Roerig Division, New York, NY.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.