Geocillin Side Effects
Generic Name: carbenicillin
Note: This page contains information about the side effects of carbenicillin. Some of the dosage forms included on this document may not apply to the brand name Geocillin.
Applies to carbenicillin: oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bad taste, flatulence, glossitis, abdominal cramps, dry mouth, furry tongue, rectal bleeding, anorexia, loose stools, and epigastric distress. Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported rarely.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions have included anaphylaxis, rash, urticaria, pruritus, fever, and eosinophilia.[Ref]
Hematologic side effects have included anemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, neutropenia, and eosinophilia. Carbenicillin (the active ingredient contained in Geocillin) affects platelet aggregation and bleeding may occur.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects may include congestive heart failure resulting from the sodium content of carbenicillin (the active ingredient contained in Geocillin) [Ref]
Metabolic side effects may include hypokalemia.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included mild elevations of liver transaminases.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included vaginitis.[Ref]
Other side effects have included itchy eyes and headache.[Ref]
1. Saadah HA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 93 (1980): 645
2. O'Meara TF, Simmons RA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 92 (1980): 440-1
3. Huang NN, Palmer J, Keith H, Schidlow D, Braverman S, Goldberg M "Comparative efficacy and tolerance of azlocillin and carbenicillin in patients with cystic fibrosis: a double blind study." J Antimicrob Chemother 11 (1983): 205-14
4. Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Gilman AG, eds. "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 10th ed." New York, NY: McGraw-Hill (2001):
5. "Product Information. Geocillin (carbenicillin)." Roerig Division, New York, NY.
Not all side effects for Geocillin may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
More about Geocillin (carbenicillin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: antipseudomonal penicillins
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.