Fluorouracil topical Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 3, 2020.
For the Consumer
Applies to fluorouracil topical: topical cream, topical solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, fluorouracil topical may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking fluorouracil topical:
- Redness and swelling of normal skin
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of fluorouracil topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Burning feeling where medicine is applied
- increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight
- skin rash
- soreness or tenderness of skin
Less common or rare
- Darkening of skin
- watery eyes
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to fluorouracil topical: topical cream, topical kit, topical solution
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Pruritus, urticaria, rash (local or generalized), erythema (i.e., erythema multiforme), burning sensation, exfoliation, swelling, ulceration, allergic contact dermatitis, eczema, blistering, alopecia, pain
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Hypersensitivity[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Pyrexia, chills[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Nasal irritation[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Tolak (fluorouracil topical)." Hill Dermaceuticals Inc, Sanford, FL.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Fluorouracil Topical (fluorouracil topical)." A-S Medication Solutions, Chicago, IL.
4. "Product Information. Fluoroplex (fluorouracil topical)." Aqua Pharmaceuticals LLC, Malvern, PA.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
6. "Product Information. Efudex (fluorouracil topical)." Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Costa Mesa, CA.
More about fluorouracil topical
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 230 Reviews
- Drug class: topical antineoplastics
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.