Generic Name: tirbanibulin
Dosage Form: ointment
Medically reviewed by Judith Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on Dec 15, 2020.
What is Klisyri?
Klisyri is a prescription medicine used on the skin to treat actinic keratosis on the face or scalp.
It is not known if Klisyri is safe and effective in children less than 18 years of age.
Important: Klisyri is for use on the skin only (topical). Do not use Klisyri in, around, or near your eyes, mouth or lips.
Before using Klisyri
Before you start treatment, tell your healthcare provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- are being treated or have been treated for actinic keratosis with any other medicine, procedure, or surgery. You should not use Klisyri until your skin has healed from other treatments.
- have other skin problems in the treatment area.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Klisyri can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Klisyri passes into your breast milk. Talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby during treatment.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements.
How should I use Klisyri?
- Use Klisyri as your healthcare provider tells you to. Klisyri is for skin use only.
- Apply the ointment to evenly cover the treatment area(s) on the face or scalp 1 time a day for 5 days in a row (consecutive) using 1 single-dose packet with each application. Do not apply to other areas.
- Do not use more Klisyri than you need to cover the treatment area. Using too much, or using it too often, or for too long can increase your chances of having a severe skin reaction or other side effects.
- Do not cover the treatment area with a dressing after application. Irritation of the skin may happen if a dressing is applied to the treatment area.
- Do not get the ointment in, around, or near your eyes. Do not touch your eyes while you are applying the ointment.
- Wash your hands right away with water and soap after applying the ointment. After applying Klisyri, be careful to keep the ointment on the treated area from coming into contact with your eyes. Irritation may happen if you get Klisyri in your eyes.
- If you accidently get Klisyri in your eyes, flush them with water and get medical care as soon as possible.
See Klisyri side effects.
- Do not get Klisyri in, around, or near your mouth or lips.
- Avoid washing and touching the treated area for approximately 8 hours after application. After 8 hours, you may wash the area with a mild soap and water.
- Avoid transferring the product to other areas after application.
- Throw away any open packet of Klisyri after use even if there is medicine still left in it.
Klisyri side effects
Klisyri may cause serious side effects, including:
- Eye irritation can happen if Klisyri gets into your eyes. If you accidently get Klisyri into your eyes, flush them with water and get medical care as soon as possible.
- Local skin reactions are common but can also be severe during treatment. Call your healthcare provider if you develop any local skin reactions including redness, flaking or scaling, crusting, or swelling that is more severe, or if you get blisters, peeling, pus, ulcers, or breakdown of your skin.
The most common side effects include: itching or pain in the treatment area.
These are not all of the possible side effects. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA 1088.
How should I store Klisyri?
- Store at room temperature between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C).
- Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Safely throw away used Klisyri packets in household trash.
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and pets.
General Information about the safe and effective use of Klisyri.
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use this ointment for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give it to other people, even if they have the same symptoms you have. It may harm them. You can ask your pharmacist or healthcare provider for information that is written for health professionals.
What are the ingredients of Klisyri?
Active ingredient: tirbanibulin
Inactive ingredients: Mono- and di-glycerides and propylene glycol.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.