User Reviews for Efudex

Actinic Keratosis
6.4

Summary of Efudex reviews 7.2 42 reviews

Reviews for Efudex

For Skin Cancer "I was prescribed efudex for squamous carcinoma. Was told to do both arms from elbow to fingers. One at a time of course. I'm just over three weeks of using it and it has not worked at all. Doctor can't understand why."

Deb (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Keratosis "Have been using efudex now for two weeks. I have been putting my regular moisturizer on every day and my skin stays soft. I use pure Shea butter. Having a little itching but not bad. I thought users might try Shea butter to help keep the area moist."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "Just got done using this for a superficial Basal Cell on my nose. Week 1 wasn't bad, just a little redness and irritation at the end. By the end of week 2, it was red and very itchy. I can't say it was ever very "painful", just uncomfortable and irritated. It has felt like something crawling across my face/nose since end of week 2, and itchy. Lots of trouble getting to sleep because of this. 2 weeks once a day, 3 weeks twice a day. It's still red and very itchy and I'm told will be for another week or two. Now I wait for follow-up."

RedNose (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

For Actinic Keratosis "I work for a dermatologist. In order for Efudex to react, sun damage/AK's, cancer should be present. Undamaged skin will not react to Efudex."

Anonymous May 4, 2018

For Actinic Keratosis "I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist as having A.K. when actually I had eczema. Efudex turned my arm into a raw ulcerated painful itchy oozing mess. Unable to sleep. Application was for two weeks only, then discontinued. After recovering from the treatment, the eczema was still there. I changed doctors. One application of a medium strength corticosteroid, itching gone, healing started. Please get multiple opinions about the disease you have, and the treatment options before being told to use efudex."

Spock1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

For Skin Cancer "At 65yo and lifetime in the sun and numerous treatments including surgery, cryotherapy etc Doctor said will have to use Efudix to whole face as had untold AK's plus Bowens Disease. Told it was a ''brutal'' treatment. He was right. All I can say is that this treatment was the most painfull experience in my life. By week two I was in agony but forced myself to continue the three week treatment. A word of warning. Under no circumstances get this stuff on your genitals. I did and it was agonising. Pain so intense sent me into depression for 3 months. Results were excellent however and no regrets."

Philpara (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

For Keratosis "I was diagnosed with actinic keratosis in August and then decided to apply the Efudex cream to face in the middle of September. I thought that I only had a couple of spots which I was concerned about but after applying the cream to my forehead, temples, cheeks, nose, around the eyes and my ears it became quite apparent that there were a vast amount of areas that had been affected. In the First week I saw that these areas became inflamed although not painful. In the second week these areas started to merge together and then look like blisters and sores on my face, especially below my eyes. In the third week these started to scab a little and became a bit painful I think due to the skin feeling very dry. I am now in my fourth and final week"

Sargie56 October 7, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis "I have a question not comment please. I'm on day 6 if 14 days application. No reaction. Is this normal? I'm applying thin layer 2 times a day. Am I doing something wrong or us this normal?"

Deewithcancer (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis "I had a small spot on nose. Used this twice a date for 14 days. Spot became very red and got scabby where the precancer is on skin. After 14 days stopped treatment. Now in healing process. Using Vaseline twice day. Scabs are showing coming off on own. DON'T PEEL. AREA very red but becoming less a bit. I hear it takes a few weeks for the redness to subside. So far so good. Not too much discomfort. I did get depressed doing this though as it's my face and I didn't want you go in public."

Tjdh1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

For Keratosis "Have applied for three weeks once a day. Increased to twice this last week. MY face is quite red and sore and I am amazed at how many spots have come out. Will continue for a few more days. This site has encouraged me. I wasn't sure whether to keep going."

Zakatan (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

"Using this caused my lips to bleed and all the skin on my lips turned black and it was like acid eating at my lips! I was not men remotely able to find any pain relief. From Oxycodone to Dilauded the ER docs could not help me! Nothing worked so I was sent to a pharmacist which makes compounds. We spent 3 hours we experimented with different lidocaine solutions. The raw pain even with the lidocaine was so intense that I lost my breath and couldn't breath. Very scary but with this pain of simply flesh eating my lips I was not aware that pain could be this bad! I am a trauma nurse and nothing prepared me for this! Any suggestions out there! I wake in a pool of blood and I am starting to see a little improvement!"

annmarmacgmail.com June 10, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis "I used efudix for 20 days. Got all the bearable symptoms of rash, redness and sore skin. It took about 2 months for the redness to go completely. The main long lasting side effect I have is that it's been six months and I still have permanently very greasy, greasy skin on my nose and cheeks where I applied it. TIP, make sure you are not prone to rosacea before using it. I didn't know I was prone but the efudix triggered the adult rosacea I never knew I had. (rosacea is like acne, it comes and goes but only in the place where I used the efudix, it's embarrassing and I don't like going in public during flare ups.) I wouldn't recommend this treatment at all. It might be ok on small 2cm spot treatments on the body, NOT THE FACE. Beware"

Lough March 31, 2017

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "I have basil carcinoma of my face cheeks and face had lumps. I have Scottish skin. Started Efidux treatment and after day 3 I became violently ill. For 10 days I couldn't hold any food down what ever. Both exit body points were hammered with oozing duck poo like stuff I have never experienced before. Bloated stomach, gas build up and always on the toilet. After day 10 the systems eased and I started to hold some food down. Currently on day 16 of treatment an day face looks like an iron has been applied to both FACE CHEEKS. Very painful and still feel unwell. This better work because I have researched this product before commencing and there were no side affects listed like I have had. Met another patient of efidex with similar side effects."

Rackoon. (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2016

For Keratosis "Have used it for pre-cancer on my face probably 6 times since 1996. Using it now on a couple of spots on the back of my hand. Have always found it perfectly effective. Yes, after a couple weeks it begins to look raw and ugly, but that quickly clears up after treatment stops. In every case the spots were cured. Luckily I have never experienced any of the pain or itchiness that others have reported. Perhaps mostly the ones who had problems bothered to report? And I still have the original tube of the produce I got back in 1996, and yes, it still works. There was enough in it to keep me going when needed it and obviously it didn't go bad. The fact it's in a metal tube may have enabled it's long life vs a plastic tube."

Wayne from NS Canada (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "I have BCC on my upper arm and SCC on upper left hand. Unfortunately after 6wks of treatment twice a day the cream didnt work. So disappointed and im now scheduled to have both surgically removed."

Smand (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "I had a small lump removed from below my lip, and was prescribed efudex to be applied twice a day for four weeks. I have just finished that time, so I don't know how effective it has been. I had no reaction for 9 days, then my lip became very swollen and weepy, cracked in the corner. My GP suggested that I put vaseline around the spot before applying the cream, and that helped the lips considerably. I changed to paw-paw cream, which seemed to help. Now it is six days since I stopped applying the cream and I still have what looks like a large cold sore, as well as the red crustiness under my nose which started only when I stopped the efudex. I am hoping this may go soon. I am not sure whether to put anything on them or not."

Jojill (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis "Dear the a: I have widespread actinic keratosis on my forearms. I was prescribed Efudex. I have thin, fair skin and some freckling. The damage seems to have occurred from a childhood playing outdoors, before sunscreen became so important. The Efudex, astonishingly, did nothing. So very disappointing. The dermatologist was equally surprised, and prescribed another round. Still nothing. And no one can give me an answer. I am now considering a chemical peel or whatever the next step might be. So very tired of hiding my arms. Good luck to you. If anyone can give you an answer, please, please post it here."

the b1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma "This is my third time over the past 10 years doing this treatment. I'm scheduled for 4-6 weeks treating my legs, stomach and chest areas. I like that the medication seeks out and treats damaged skin only. My stomach has only 3 small spots. However my legs and chest area that have been far more exposed to sun have a much more aggressive reaction. The pain, redness, swelling and sores are extremely painful however my history reminds me that in 3-4 weeks I will be finished and my skin will look and be much better. Skin cancer gone and baby smooth new skin. It's affordable, and a more complete overall treatment that definitely works. Stick with the plan you don't be disappointed !!"

Caroline B May 2, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis "I was prescribed Efudex to treat various Actinic Keratoses on my forehead and balding front pate. Firstly my overall rating is that the treatment is very effective and I now have a beautiful forehead of smooth skin after 2 weeks 2 days of treatment and 2 weeks of recovery post treatment. It may be that my skin damage was mild. In any event I found the process quite bearable.I applied the cream sparingly night and morning and there was little to see for 3 or 4 days, skin then reddened and peeled/flaked - no ulceration or discharge. Although unsightly (looked like a bright rash) as a male I was still happy to go out and socialise. I used my wife's hair colourant plastic protective gloves but still washed hands thoroughly after use. Happy."

cooloperator (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Keratosis "Can someone help me? I have been using Efudex once a day for 5 weeks and nothing is happening. Wondering if I should try using it twice a day or wait untill I see my doctor?"

The a April 8, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis "I am a 70 year old male who suffers from Actinick Keratosis from exposure to the harsh rays of the sun. Efudex is a fantastic product. Does exactly what is claimed. Make sure that you wash your hands completely after each application. Do not get it on your lips or you will experience great discomfort, (cracked and bleeding lips). Once you have completed the process (twice a day for 21 days), use Hydroval Cream 0.2% to assist in the healing process (works great)."

Tiny704 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2015

For Keratosis "This is the best!! I've been using it for 4 years and it is absolutely the best solution for AK's. I am 60 years old, fair skin, been outside for years and developed way too many AK's, not to mention basal and squamous problems too. For years, the dermatologist only used spot nitrogen and prescribed caramac. I can only assume she didn't prescribe efudex because she needed the steady income stream from me and my insurance. By chance I was having a physical from my family doctor. He asked me when I was going to address my AK;s on forehead. I told him I did, and he told me he could write me a prescription for medicine that solves it, efudex. He did and I amazed at the ending results. Yes, the efudex was painful, looked bad when it was working but results speak for them self"

j mack (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

For Keratosis "Had very adverse reaction after 8 days of applying cream to chest ended up with severe open skin wounds needed antibiotics, lidocaine gel, silvadine creme, prendisone, oxicodone, altrax, and ambien to sleep sooooooo painful."

stillitchy (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

For Keratosis "Worked great for me, some pain but when I was done my face was like a baby's butt. Stay home for 30 days"

Trueser August 5, 2015

For Keratosis "I have done this Efudex treatment three times over a 20 year time span. It is a hideous process but it beats the alternatives! KNIVES cutting you up in particular. I use and recommend AQUAPHOR instead of the expensive prescribed cortisone cream for a quicker more effective healing process. I think EFUDEX is Great!"

FanchonLinda June 2, 2015