User Reviews for Efudex

Efudex has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 93 ratings on Drugs.com. 65% of those users who reviewed Efudex reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Basal Cell Carcinoma   8.1
Keratosis   7.7
Actinic Keratosis   7.2
Skin Cancer   6.2
Summary of Efudex reviews 7.3 93 reviews

Reviews for Efudex

Tantan January 28, 2021

For Keratosis: “Started efudix on nose lips chin 3 weeks ago. Very red areas ulcerated pus, very painful. I had few instructions from derm or pharma. So googled it. Seeing derm tomorrow. I was meant to do this for two weeks twice a day then two weeks once a day. That's for centre nose lips chin as had SCC lip and excision 3x5cm. After this area I do the same on one cheek then other cheek then forehead. Not all at once due to danger of anaphylaxis. On nose it is a small area very red etc lip lower, all along and below, itchy painful. Will post how it goes in a few weeks.”

Cardigran · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2021

For Actinic Keratosis: “I was prescribed Efudix for a spot on my cheek that refused to heal and would crack and bleed if stretching the skin to wash or apply makeup. I have fair skin. I was told it was pre cancerous . Applied the cream as directed but after two weeks treatment I started to become increasingly unwell, and by the end of 28 days had horrible gastric and bowel symptoms. I even had a test to make sure that I was not missing DPD as I was so badly affected even two weeks after stopping treatment . I recovered thankfully and the spot on my cheek healed well, but I wouldn't go through it again. I'd opt for cryosurgery or surgery even if it left a small scar . This cream is seriously toxic to pets incidentally, so please be very careful with it .”

Cedric · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “57 year old male, brought up in South Africa, lived in Australia and 30+ years in the military with sunny deployments. Prev suffered two SCC's and Bowen's disease. I'm in day 25 of Efudex treatment, stopped applying the cream after 21 days. My face is very red and itchy, it's amazing how the cream identifies areas of damage. It's been tough at times, sleepless nights with burning/itching. Strangely when I stopped applying the cream I suffered stomach acid, unsure if its relayed. The biggest challenge is to persevere to the end. I use Aquaphore from Amazon to soothe the itching. Good luck to everyone!”

Snigel October 22, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “My GP saw some actinic keratosis on my head and said I should mention this at my appointment a dermatologist. I am using fluorouracil 5% .The regime was 4 weeks once a day, followed by 3 weeks healing followed by 4 weeks. The 2nd treatment is to reveal and fix any actinic keratosis missed in the first. I have nearly finished the ALL treatment, on my head - I am bald. I am 78 years old. The treatment on the head was itchy and at the end painful- the 2nd treatment did not show any remaining AKs. I could see that some of the 'rash' raised by the drug extended to my face so I started a treatment there. This was more painful - particularly round the mouth and cheeks as these move if you smile or speak. I am in the healing phase now and will start a second treatment in 2 weeks. COVID has meant that my scary face has not scared the neighbourhood!! This was free on the NHS (National Health Service UK)- they are great”

Sirius · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2020

For Skin Cancer: “After completing my EFUDEX treatment my skin seemed to get better and then it turned out to get worse and worse, red spots where I had applied the cream. My doctor could not understand why and prescribed me cortisone cream, which turned out to be much worse. Another doctor said I am cancer free but from now on I have constantly broken capillaries on my face and I am not able to do any inversions or put my head down. My skin is still irritated after 6 months that I stopped using Efudex. With a very sensible skin you should be aware that this cream is not always the best option.”

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

For Keratosis: “I’m 52 yo sun loving female and started treatment of Efudex. I’m 3 weeks in and last dose on day 20. I didn’t react too badly to start at all. 3rd week in saw big changes as skin became more inflamed but very manageable. I was anxious with all the reviews I read but think it’s important to remind ones that everyone is different. The last day and night after finishing has been the most painful. I’m Putting 1% hydrocortisone on in ointment form. Keeps area oily Some benefits of COVID are mask wearing. With hat sunnies and mask I can go out and people don’t notice how hideous I look. Taking pain relievers to sleep. Itching, burning at night is worst. I’m a runner and I’ve continued all the way thru but will see what the next few days brings.”

Lindy · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

For Keratosis: “I am a 70 year old woman originally from Britain..used efudex on chin, side of nose and cheek. Went up a little too close to corner of my eye which swelled up. I used twice a day for 15 days which was enough to bear. Big crusty scab on chin. Very sore itchy and burning. Can't do the other side of nose as too painful.”

Neen · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

For Skin Cancer: “I have been using the Efudex cream for 10 days now. I have come out in red spots on my face but I am in no pain, as yet. I am wondering if I am using it correctly. The blotchy spots are crimson but not sore. Will it get worse because I was scared to use it but so far so good as far as pain is concerned. I do look weird though with these red spots everywhere.”

Dave · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “My dermatologist said apply on face twice daily for 10-12 days. Well, my skin is super sensitive. After 2 days I was red, itching, and in pain, so I stopped at the end of day 5. I’m at day 9 and look like I have severe sunburn with scaling, pealing, oozing, and burning. I am hopeful I’m about to turn a corner toward clearing up. Argh! It worked great on my legs after 2 week’s treatment. My facial skin, another story.”

Boatman · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: “Ten years ago I used Aldara over my whole face. 20 minutes of pain after each application and a violent reaction after 9 days. Face looked as though I had been in a bad fire and scared the kids at school. It did heal and I looked 10 years younger. I have just finished 3 weeks on Efudex and 3 weeks healing. Skin looks like the proverbial babies bottom and very happy with the results. This time I treated whole face, ears and parts of neck. Applying the Efudex was less painful than the Aldara, even a little bit soothing. Hard to sleep with sore ears. Tried all kinds of moisturisers and they caused stinging for 5-10 minutes. Used vaseline 2-3 times daily and it was by far the most satisfactory. Very pleased with the results. Also treated both arms at the same time. Used 3 tubes of Efudex on this session. Always worked outside and lots of boating. 76 years young now after this treatment.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I so appreciate all your comments. I am day 21 of Efudex and my GP wants me to keep going another week. I am applying to my nose, hands and forearms. My nose is a beacon as is the area around it. Thank goodness for COVID isolation as it couldn’t be happening at a better time. I was going to stop today but after reading everyone’s experience I will keep going for another week. Thank you”

Didewson · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

For Skin Cancer: “Being a white Aussie girl who loved being outside my skin was a mess. I’m now 58. I’ve used Efudex several years ago with great success. Started again due to scaley patches on face that never went away. These reacted instantly and then disappeared. After having a break started using on pigmentations on my face. These too reacted, interestingly I started getting reactions on places I didn’t put the cream. So I started putting the cream there too. My face is a mess, very itchy, sore. I certainly wouldn’t recommend using this on large areas at a time due to the uncomfortableness of the process. I know it will be worth it, so I will continue on. I have some lumps on my head, once my face is done I will be doing my scalp.”

Magic · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “Body is covered with skin eruptions . Used Efudex for 2 weeks on right cheek. Using Bioderm. Does not seem to be helping . 7 weeks since treatment. Seeing dermatologist, did biopsy, on prednisone. Where to go ? Apparently there are still cells on my cheek after efudex. Very scary drug ! Face is still healing, not sure how long it will take. Effectiveness unknown at this time.”

Philip · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “Male 52, having had ongoing AK issues on scalp and face, regularly frozen with dry ice over past several years. Started using Efudex 2x daily on scalp for past 3 weeks; some mild irritation but not at all problematic; after 2 weeks crusty areas fell away (I did slightly agitate which I know I shouldn't) and will continue to use for another 1-2 weeks. So far so good, material improvement in scalp and tenderness has subsided substantially. Now starting to try small area on forehead below hairline, before doing entire face...just to see if reaction is very different, but this is just SO much better than having intermittent freezing. Will definitely do a second cycle on scalp after a break. Highly recommend based on 3 weeks' usage. Will update further after using on face. Thanks for all the other posts !”

Isobel · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I am 70, with chestnut hair, fair skin and blue eyes. My doctor diagnosed actinic keratosis on a small lesion on my face. He recommended Efudix twice a day for 3 weeks. I used a cotton bud to apply the cream as it seemed easier to apply it thinly that way than with my finger. During the first two weeks the lesion started to become red and enlarged slightly. Towards the end of the second and throughout the third week yellowy crusts started to form and the lesion felt tender and raw. If I went out in the sun I put a small plaster over it for protection. After the treatment a scab formed over the whole area that took two weeks to fall off. Then new skin appeared and I have been applying Calendula to aid the recovery. I am left with a pink streak which hopefully will fade with time. Until then I will use a 'hide the blemish' make-up which I would think a man could also use, if need be. Overall very pleased with the result.”

Ding Dong · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I am on my 18th day of using Efudix. I am only using on my tip of nose. This morning a horrible crusty scab of blistering came off and it is now red and raw. I am still using as I was told to stop on day 21. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to see how things are going and whether I should carry on for longer. No pain, just a sort tingling and look like Rudolph the Reindeer, but coping fine. Sleep well and no real side affects.”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I am on day 15 of the Efudex cream. I was terrified to start. I was actually prescribed the cream two other times and chickened out due to the photos that I had seen on YouTube. I am doing very well so far. It is super tight and red around my mouth, very hard to smile. I have spots all over my forehead and a few on my cheeks. It’s always a shock to see my face in the mirror. But without looking at myself it feels like I put on one of those peel off face masks just tight. So far I sleep just fine. I don’t however use Vaseline I use calendula it’s for burns and has worked well. I have also used makeup when I had to go out in public. It is definitely convenient being in lockdown because everyone is wearing a mask so it hides my super red chin. I have 6 more days of cream, I am taking this one day at a time. The only side effect so far that I have had is two different days I felt extremely tired.”

S · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I chose to apply my treatment over 2 periods separated by 6 months. half of face and right arm this time and in 6 months will do the other half. 53 years old, scottish descent growing up in Queensland, Australia. Too late to chip my parents about that. Skin: Fitzpatrick Type 1. I had a good (severe) reaction within 3 days, applying three times per day against the advice of 2 times per day. Within 1 week, yellowish crusting, weeping etc. kept it up for two weeks in total, then stopped and another 2 weeks to recover. Good result. Pain intense, and I was fortunate enough to have a GP that prescribed some decent pain killers and a mild sedative (5mg Diazepam) to help me get through the night. Tried to persevere without the drugs but they proved to be a god send,. Would recommend to do this treatment in Winter and off work or working from home. (Trivial note: started treatment at the same time as working from home due to Covid-19)”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I just started I’m on day three I am absolutely terrified ”

JG · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Keratosis: “This is my second time around for using efudex. The first time was 6 years ago. I've grown up on the West coast and spent my summers in the deserts or at the beach. I am of Irish descent, brown hair, blue eyes. By the time I was 60, my face looked terrible. High danger for skin cancer, many trips to dermatologist. Began to hurt significantly on day 14. Everything I read and saw on the web said "stick it out". I made it to day 25, Couldn't do another minute. Dragged myself into the doc's office on a Friday afternoon. I looked like Frankenstein. Appt's clerk gasped. Doc said "Great job. Looks like it was very effective." That night I washed everything off, and applied Aquaphor. Next two days were most painful. After that, it got better every day, and within two months, there was no trace of the 40 years of sun damage on my face. So...I would give this a 10. I'm a teacher, and did the treatment over the winter holidays. It was all done by January 7”

marlin May 1, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I grew up in Canberra, Australia. Sunburn every year, never wore a hat, didn't know about sunburn cream. I started using Efudex when I was 38. I'm on my fourth facial using it. I can last 16 days at the most. I would be so painful if I used it for 28 days. I know it's time to stop when it is so itchy that I don't get a single minute of sleep at night. I have to stay at home for 3 or 4 weeks - I scare too many people otherwise. Before bed I have to take mild sleeping tablets (Restavit) and ibuprofen. I used to use Lucas Pawpaw ointment at night, but it's too thick and itchy. I use Dermeze treatment ointment. Lucas' is good for recovery. I have to wash the Efudex off before I go to sleep - otherwise I can feel its horrible burning all night. If I accidentally touch the treated spot and then rub my eyes, they get swollen for days. I hate the treatment (0/10) - torturers could use it. But I love the results (10/10). My skin feels so good for 4 years.”

BQ · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

For Keratosis: “I'm a 68 year old male. This is the second time I have used this fabulous cream. Enjoy the results, YES! Enjoy the experience, NO! I applied the cream twice a day to my entire face for two weeks. After two further weeks, all of the scabbing has gone and my face has peeled. Still a few weeks to go before the worst of the redness goes. I must be honest - the pain was bad: Burning sensation, needle pricks, scabbing and blood spots on my pillow. Sometimes it was so bad, I had to ease the pain with ice. But all of the pain described above was worth it. The cream detects the worst affected areas - some I had no idea were damaged. It leaves the undamaged skin alone. This cream has reduced my number of visits to the seriously expensive dermatologist to almost zero. My skin feels and looks twenty years younger. I cannot recommend this cream enough, You should be thrilled with the results. But, as with most rewards in life, there is some serious pain involved.”

Mango · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: “I am up to my last day of treatment, day 21. I have treated my entire face once a day with efudix and would never do it again. After the first couple of days red spots start to appear, after a week my face looked like a severe case of sunburn and felt like it. The intensity of the redness increased along with constant burning. By day 12 I wad ready to give up but reminded myself I was over half way. I didn't know how I could bear to apply more efudix but perseverance and willpower has been on my side. It is a painful experience which I would only recommend as a last resort. Even today I dread putting the cream on for the last time but after that I know each day will be a slow pace of healing. I look forward to the end result and hope all the discomfort is worth it”

Itchy Dick · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2020

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: “I'm 69 and using Efudex for the second time. Just as in 2008, I have been recommended for 21 days of Efudex cream, 2 applications per day, followed by 21 days of twice a day applications of Desonide 0.05%. I am applying the cream broadly on my forehead back to my receded hairline, my sideburn area and my nose. After the first week most areas turned blotchy red and grew increasingly sore and itchy. I have experienced mild stomach upset and my face feels hot. It started to effect my ability to sleep around day 16. Almost packed it in on day 19 but read these posts and decided to persevere for 3 more days. It worked very well back in 2008 and I'm looking forward to the ordeal ending and getting similarly good results.”

In severe pain now · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I spent years in the sun scuba diving and hiking in Mexico and Arizona. For years I've constantly had to use lip balm because my lips were so dry. I tried many products and they never worked. My lips would crack and peel all the time. Just recently I got diagnosed with Actinic Chelitis. I have been prescribed a Effudex 5% once a day for 3 to 4 weeks. I am at Week 2 and experiencing severe, almost unbearable, burning pain because of deep sores with massive amounts of oozing and crusting and now bleeding, tightness and severe dryness. I will try to endure another week but I think I would rather surgery any day than this.”