User Reviews for Fluorouracil topical

6.5

Warts

Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 7.6 125 reviews

Reviews for Fluorouracil

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I was treated for carcinoma on my face which was great. I put my experince on youtube under Fluorouracil 5 - My Experience"

lerafe (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "I have used this cream 3 times and will use it a 4th this winter. I'm 53 and have light hair and blue eyes so as you can imagine I have light skin. I have had keratosis pop up on my face a few times and several brown spots over the years. This cream has done an AMAZING JOB !!! I use it once a week, for 7 days. My face looked terrible on day 10-21 because it turned red, then all the spots you don't see, turn brown in addition to ALL the other brown spots disappear. I've had no side effects other than you look embarrassing and people ask what happen to you? But the end result is worth it"

This stuff works (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I saw my primary care doctor and he prescribed the generic form made by TARO 5% which cost me a tiny copay. He sent me to a dermatologist who told me not to use it! He then cut out the Basil cell carcinoma on my shin bone & it took 3 months to heal. The spot was about a third of an inch & couldn't be sewn up due to the location. So then I noticed another little red burning spot on my leg & this time I decided to treat it myself with the cream. I used it twice a day for two weeks using a q tip to apply it. It's now gone. It did turn red & crusty & then healed. I showed it to my PCP & he was happy for me saying " isn't that stuff great?" Long story short, I think the dermatologist just wanted to make a buck, (or hundreds) on me. I can't recommend this cream highly enough!"

ShaSha (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2018

For Keratosis: "This is my second application in 5 years. The first time was tough with the redness, itchiness, peeling. It was worth it to see how much potential cancer spots came to the surface and eventually flaked away. Really what is 30 days or so of some suffering to potentially save your life. It can be costly but I got the generic cream."

JB (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "I was prescribed efudex for squamous carcinoma. Was told to do both arms from elbow to fingers. One at a time of course. I'm just over three weeks of using it and it has not worked at all. Doctor can't understand why."

Deb (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2018

For Keratosis: "I used Fluorouracil for 2 weeks twice a day (morning and night) over most of the face. I just put a drop on 4 points of the face then rubbed it in. I cover a few area's that gave me trouble and a few dark liver spots. I almost stopped because I started to look pretty bad with sores and red blotches. I looked here for answers but could not find anything. After two weeks I stopped and started using nothing but good dermatology soap and Luberderm. That was 2 weeks ago. I look much better than I did before starting the treatment. Now at 6 weeks, I'm very pleased. Don't get scared and don't stop! Two weeks twice a day. You'll like the results. Good luck!"

John (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Skin Cancer: "I had significant Mohs surgery about 7 years ago which left me a bit disfigured. The doc actually wanted to do a flap from my forehead but I refused. Anyhow about 1 or 2 years later diagnosed again with basal cell carcinoma (BCC). I went to different Dermatologist who used flourouracil. I started on nose and cheek but spots started showing up all over especially right side of face so I used there. Looked like a monster and hurt bad. Took long time to heal but looked younger and cleaner. Well I just got a couple small spots again but has been about 5 years and wanted to use cream again. It is not so bad. I only had a couple spots and using four weeks now and bearable. I think the cream is great My only concern is I just noticed a grayish spot on my nose. Doesn't hurt and looks nothing like the Actinic keratosis (AK) or BCC or Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) I've had. I'm really scared it might be melanoma but they are usually dark colours. I'll do some research on Dermnetnz.org Anyone have any spot like that and know what can be. Its not open or raised and very light. Like I said just appeared."

Scared (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2018

For Actinic Keratosis: "I have been using 5 FU for 3 weeks now once a day. I haven't had that bad of a reaction YET. The SCC spot on the side of nose did start reacting right away, so have a lot of other spots on my nose, and a few other spots on my face as well. Showing me yes I have done a lot of damage all my days enjoying the outdoors without sunscreen. I have 9 more weeks to go uggg. Has anyone else used this for 12 weeks once a day? Am I going to have a long 2 months of pain ahead of me? Or since I'm using it once a day maybe the reactions wont be as severe."

MommasPooky (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Have been using efudex now for two weeks. I have been putting my regular moisturizer on every day and my skin stays soft. I use pure Shea butter. Having a little itching but not bad. I thought users might try Shea butter to help keep the area moist."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

For Warts: "I had a wart on my middle finger and was prescribed the same medication. After about 2 weeks I started shaving the wart down. It was removed and the area healed nicely, but now after about a year the wart is returning. I am going to use this treatment again before returning to the derm."

SweetieB July 22, 2018

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I've been using fluorouracil for 10 days After 1st application to my entire face, I started to see red spots and lots of them! I'm using the 4% cream There is very mild itching. My doctor said to use 1 X per week for 4 weeks at night and it's ok to apply moisturizer topped with zinc oxide sunscreen in the morning after washing my face. I don't expect to have problems with this med I'm redhead, fair skin"

Katie (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Why priced out of the average persons cost? Really worked great for my skin condition. Now I can’t afford it. Greedy people"

Why June 14, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Just got done using this for a superficial Basal Cell on my nose. Week 1 wasn't bad, just a little redness and irritation at the end. By the end of week 2, it was red and very itchy. I can't say it was ever very "painful", just uncomfortable and irritated. It has felt like something crawling across my face/nose since end of week 2, and itchy. Lots of trouble getting to sleep because of this. 2 weeks once a day, 3 weeks twice a day. It's still red and very itchy and I'm told will be for another week or two. Now I wait for follow-up."

RedNose (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I work for a dermatologist. In order for Efudex to react, sun damage/AK's, cancer should be present. Undamaged skin will not react to Efudex."

Anonymous May 4, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist as having A.K. when actually I had eczema. Efudex turned my arm into a raw ulcerated painful itchy oozing mess. Unable to sleep. Application was for two weeks only, then discontinued. After recovering from the treatment, the eczema was still there. I changed doctors. One application of a medium strength corticosteroid, itching gone, healing started. Please get multiple opinions about the disease you have, and the treatment options before being told to use efudex."

Spock1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I treated my entire face last year for a little spot by my nose that ended up being a BCC. My doctor gives me 3 creams...Tretinoin first layer, imiquimod, and the third being flouracil. All three layered for each treatment. I did 5 days on and weekends off for a total of 30 applications (6 weeks). I definitely felt tired and had a general feeling of not feeling well. I can tell you that things are tolerable up until like the 18th or 20th application. Then erupting, blistering painful sores happen at any damaged skin you have. I barely could finish treatment. A year forward, I am now treating my nose and ears. I didn’t know they need a stronger dosage as they didn’t react at all the first go around. First 3 weeks nothing reacted at twice a week. Once he increased to 4 times a week and flu symptoms began stayed right there. Must get in 30 applications however you can tolerate. Painful but worth it."

EriMcA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2018

For Actinic Keratosis: "FYI: Efudex is fluororacil. It was discovered in the 1950's by a fellow that noticed liver cancer cells took it up readily. It works by not allowing a cell to replicate (divide). A cancer cell that cannot replicate dies. Yes, it does affect regular skin cells too, but cancer replicates much faster so most skin cells are not affected but the cancer cells are. I've used it on three BCC's , the common skin cancer. It works well. When treating one on my forearm I'll do the whole arm. I've used 5% cream, a little goes a long way. A 20 gram tube will do my whole forearm over 40 days. It did not do much the first week, but by week 3 the cancer area had a scab and was getting smaller. By week 2 small "other" areas lit up (turned red) which are probably acticic keratoses. I'd rate reaction as mild and really not a bother at all. In fact the carcinoma "itched" terribly and the efudex/5fu stopped the itch. I have seen photos of pretty nasty reactions on scalp and face."

42pines April 3, 2018

For Skin Cancer: "I am using fluorouracil for the second time. This time I am not doing my whole face, I am only doing my nose and side of cheek. The first time I did not realize how many bad cells I would have. My entire face turned black and scabbed off. It was so painful and barely able to tolerate. I have had so many skin cancers removed, and I would rather endure the cream than have more surgery! I had squamous cell going in my tear duct, had to remove my upper eye lid and use for skin graft. The surgeon was amazing! I am so happy there is this cream, as I am refusing any more surgeries on my face!"

Carol (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Used this once daily for two weeks on my cheek. After the last day I was out in Dec. sun for approximately an hour in LA. With sunscreen. However, days later developed swelling and then developed large blisters which healed with large scabs. Thankfully when they fell off I was left with only red skin, with a few blood spots under the skin . All healed over in three weeks. Unfortunately, this experience has left me weary of using it again."

Blueyes (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Overrated and overpriced. Won't buy again at any price."

T T February 26, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Is there anyone using the Fluorouracil 5% for only 7 days a month and what has your experience been. My dermatologist is having me use it at night for 7 days. Then I stop until the first of March and continue for 6 months. I’m on my 5th day and nothing except one small crusty area on my check. After reading some of the comments I guess I can expect to see something happen soon. Y’all are all brave people! This is scaring me!"

Teach04 February 6, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I'm on day 8 of 2 week treatment. After reading about the pain and suffering people go through I decided to do 5cm patch at a time. Started with left temple to cheekbone area which was already red patchy spots. By day four I had 2 very red burned patches on my cheekbone. Wash (gently) before applying each time. Make sure to wait 20mins. I have been experiencing fatigue and headaches of course burning at the affected site. Hanging in there. Hope it's worth it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

For Keratosis: "Dr. told me about fluorouracil. She also showed me photos of people, this helped me mentally. I completed my 14 days. I had bright red areas on face, spots on face & chest. Crusty skin spots that cracked, everything hurt. My chest was worst with blistering & drainage. Worst thing happen- somehow I got cream on my lip. I believe it came from the pillow. My lip blistered & was swelled. I found using Vit.E liquid was helpful in relief for lip. I am using A&D on red area, crusty spots & chest. Feels great. I covered my pillow w/ silky pj top. This really helps me sleep better. What gave me encouragement was the other remarks & knowing the "norm""

All the Way January 17, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I wish I had done my homework before using this medicine. I feel my dermatologist withheld the following key info from me: 1) Carac is topical chemotherapy 2) AK has less than 10% chance of ever becoming squamous cell cancer 3) Death from squamous cell cancer is extremely rare Had I known those 3 things, I would have never used Carac. I had a terrible reaction from Carac. On Day 3, I became violently ill with vomiting, diarrhea, body aches, and chills. I called the derm and she said to stop using it until my symptoms subsided and then start again. I stopped for 3 days and then resumed. All of the side effects came roaring back. A year later, I still suffer from chronic diarrhea. This medication is way over-prescribed."

afoolforusingthismed January 15, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "At 65yo and lifetime in the sun and numerous treatments including surgery, cryotherapy etc Doctor said will have to use Efudix to whole face as had untold AK's plus Bowens Disease. Told it was a ''brutal'' treatment. He was right. All I can say is that this treatment was the most painfull experience in my life. By week two I was in agony but forced myself to continue the three week treatment. A word of warning. Under no circumstances get this stuff on your genitals. I did and it was agonising. Pain so intense sent me into depression for 3 months. Results were excellent however and no regrets."

Philpara (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017