User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex, Tolak

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Keratosis

Warts

1 review 31 medications
Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 6.4 102 reviews

Reviews for Fluorouracil

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I wish I had done my homework before using this medicine. I feel my dermatologist withheld the following key info from me: 1) Carac is topical chemotherapy 2) AK has less than 10% chance of ever becoming squamous cell cancer 3) Death from squamous cell cancer is extremely rare Had I known those 3 things, I would have never used Carac. I had a terrible reaction from Carac. On Day 3, I became violently ill with vomiting, diarrhea, body aches, and chills. I called the derm and she said to stop using it until my symptoms subsided and then start again. I stopped for 3 days and then resumed. All of the side effects came roaring back. A year later, I still suffer from chronic diarrhea. This medication is way over-prescribed."

afoolforusingthismed January 15, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "At 65yo and lifetime in the sun and numerous treatments including surgery, cryotherapy etc Doctor said will have to use Efudix to whole face as had untold AK's plus Bowens Disease. Told it was a ''brutal'' treatment. He was right. All I can say is that this treatment was the most painfull experience in my life. By week two I was in agony but forced myself to continue the three week treatment. A word of warning. Under no circumstances get this stuff on your genitals. I did and it was agonising. Pain so intense sent me into depression for 3 months. Results were excellent however and no regrets."

Philpara (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I am in the middle of a Carac cream treatment (2 weeks of twice a day, then 2 weeks off, then 2 more weeks of treatment). This is my 4th time using the cream (face, chest) over the years. The results will be good, but the treatment can be challenging. Here is what I have found to be helpful. Ice packs make all the difference for me. Whenever I feel the itch coming on, I grab ice and leave it on the area until the itch subsides. Also triamcinolone cream really helps. My doctor prefers the ointment, but I find it difficult to remove. The cream goes on easy, helps with the itch and the healing. On the worst days, I took a prescription pain pill which saved me. My doctor recommended it."

Gus’s mom November 3, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "The chemist (pharmacist) suggested the generic brand for Efudix which for me is APOC - 5FU (fluorouracil 5% w/w cream). I have been applying the cream twice a day for the last week & my face looks unsightly as the cream has brought out all the pre cancerous AK - my face is very red & a little sore, but not unbearably so. It is also itchy - I have three weeks to go for the treatment, so hopefully this treatment will negate me having to go to the next step of biopsy then removal by surgery if it does then I will consider it a great success. Best wishes to all other AK sufferers"

Aussiebeachbum2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "I was diagnosed with actinic keratosis in August and then decided to apply the Efudex cream to face in the middle of September. I thought that I only had a couple of spots which I was concerned about but after applying the cream to my forehead, temples, cheeks, nose, around the eyes and my ears it became quite apparent that there were a vast amount of areas that had been affected. In the First week I saw that these areas became inflamed although not painful. In the second week these areas started to merge together and then look like blisters and sores on my face, especially below my eyes. In the third week these started to scab a little and became a bit painful I think due to the skin feeling very dry. I am now in my fourth and final week"

Sargie56 October 7, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I have a question not comment please. I'm on day 6 if 14 days application. No reaction. Is this normal? I'm applying thin layer 2 times a day. Am I doing something wrong or us this normal?"

Deewithcancer (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I have used Efudex for years on my severely sun-worshiped skin. I could never tolerate more than 7-10 days, and never got great success. I tried Tolak once, with much better success. The mode of delivery, inactive ingredients or something made a big difference, and I tolerated it almost 4 weeks. 1X a day app and something about it makes side effects milder, yet results better. I ended up getting much better results than I ever got with Efudex. I see some people here are discouraged that they don't get inflamed as soon as they do with Efudex, but the milder reaction allowed me to stay with it much longer. I did get a severe reaction after the 3rd week, but excellent results. Will use again....no more Efudex for me."

Neuronic (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I had a small spot on nose. Used this twice a date for 14 days. Spot became very red and got scabby where the precancer is on skin. After 14 days stopped treatment. Now in healing process. Using Vaseline twice day. Scabs are showing coming off on own. DON'T PEEL. AREA very red but becoming less a bit. I hear it takes a few weeks for the redness to subside. So far so good. Not too much discomfort. I did get depressed doing this though as it's my face and I didn't want you go in public."

Tjdh1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Have applied for three weeks once a day. Increased to twice this last week. MY face is quite red and sore and I am amazed at how many spots have come out. Will continue for a few more days. This site has encouraged me. I wasn't sure whether to keep going."

Zakatan (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

For Keratosis: "Fluorouracil worked fine on the AKs and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be except I experienced "hand foot syndrome"---burning of palms of hands and soles of feet (even though the medication never touched those areas)."

Anonymous June 13, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for : "Using this caused my lips to bleed and all the skin on my lips turned black and it was like acid eating at my lips! I was not men remotely able to find any pain relief. From Oxycodone to Dilauded the ER docs could not help me! Nothing worked so I was sent to a pharmacist which makes compounds. We spent 3 hours we experimented with different lidocaine solutions. The raw pain even with the lidocaine was so intense that I lost my breath and couldn't breath. Very scary but with this pain of simply flesh eating my lips I was not aware that pain could be this bad! I am a trauma nurse and nothing prepared me for this! Any suggestions out there! I wake in a pool of blood and I am starting to see a little improvement!"

annmarmacgmail.com June 10, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "Given Rx due to pre-cancerous spot on side of face. So far, I have had no side effects. I am day 11 of 14 day treatment. No redness, no peeling."

Char - Tampa June 2, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "I am 59, redhead, green eyes. Live in AZ. Not a sunbather. Under dermatologist directions used 5% cream for 10 days on forehead and chest. Very painful. Developed severe allergic reaction with swelling in face, lips, throat, fever, chills. Stopped treatment and narrowly avoided hospital. Still experiencing pain. Be careful!"

Miloo (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "I used it once a day for 13 days and took two days off, I'm wondering if it's ok to start again or not. I was supposed to go 4 weeks. Anyone have any comments?"

Jakeslicks (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

For Keratosis: "My first time using this cream and man it's no fun but it's effective. I apply it twice a day on my forehead and the left side of my face. About 10 days later now it's pretty red an peeling in places. Hope I won't have to take time off work. Don't think my hat will cover it up enough soon as a delivery driver. I'm only 31, I'm to young to be having these problems."

Jplysy April 21, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I used efudix for 20 days. Got all the bearable symptoms of rash, redness and sore skin. It took about 2 months for the redness to go completely. The main long lasting side effect I have is that it's been six months and I still have permanently very greasy, greasy skin on my nose and cheeks where I applied it. TIP, make sure you are not prone to rosacea before using it. I didn't know I was prone but the efudix triggered the adult rosacea I never knew I had. (rosacea is like acne, it comes and goes but only in the place where I used the efudix, it's embarrassing and I don't like going in public during flare ups.) I wouldn't recommend this treatment at all. It might be ok on small 2cm spot treatments on the body, NOT THE FACE. Beware"

Lough March 31, 2017

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Had a basal cell right under my eyelid. My dermatologist insisted I go see a Mohs surgeon. I took a doctor (Internist) in my family with me to see the surgeon. The surgeon wanted to cut. When the internist told him that there is very little tissue under my eye and I could lose my eye he said well there is always a chance. The internist said how about fluorouracil? He said NO. Of course he said no - he is a surgeon and only makes his money on cutting. The internist wrote the prescription for 0.5% fluorouracil cream. To use for 3 weeks - apply at bedtime. After 2 weeks the area was very red and oozed and swelled up. I continued for the 3 rd week. It has been 10 weeks since I stopped the cream. The basal cell is gone and the area is just a little pink."

Carol A February 21, 2017

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I have extensive AK on my face & chest and have had 5 Basal Cell & 1 Pre Melanoma lesions removed via surgery. Because of the extensive AK & my history - my Derm tried Blue Light (Levulan). I only made it 8 minutes & had 2nd Degree burns. Due to my reaction my Mohs Surgeon recommended Carac in a modified application as I am in sales. I use the cream 7 days then am off 3-4 wks. I plan by time of year & my schedule as you can't be in the sun. The Carac cream has been AMAZING!! I put it on before bed. I documented my reaction and have found that about Day 6 I can see red trouble spots, Day 7/8 itching, Day 10 scabbing. Overall my AK has diminished by 80% after 4 cycles since last spring. I took summer/fall off."

MBFitz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "This is the fourth or fifth time I've used Flouracil the past thirty years or so. I'm sixty four, have spent a lot of time in the sun, with a lot of exposure on my arms and face. I started at age 35, the first time on my face, and went back three more times over the next twenty years, strictly on my face, ears, and back of hands. The first time, I freaked out after a couple of weeks. But after the four week treatment, it peeled off and my skin underneath came in baby butt smooth. I'm doing my arms now (hint: always do this in the depths of winter) but my arms were really damaged, and it's been almost five weeks now. I look like I survived Chernobyl and long sleeve shirts hide it. I really recommend this for a widespread treatment."

Dickiesmith6452 February 3, 2017

Carac (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "A few months after one basal spot on my nose was removed with Mohs surgery and plastic surgery to correct the dime sized divot, my dermatologist prescribed Carac for three weeks applied once a day to my nose. I had read many reviews/experiences and dreaded starting the prescription. Thankfully I had very little reaction with only one spot that appeared like an irritated white head and that drained and disappeared after about 3 days. The rest of my nose, although a little dry, had no reaction at all. I will say my stomach was a little sensitive about an hour after I applied the lotion for a couple days so I made sure I drank plenty of water and ate something within the hour or so of applying it."

Gigi Robin January 18, 2017

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "10 days into the treatment and my face is borderline unsightly. Had to stop the treatment on my chest because it started scabbing. Just hoping it starts flaking soon as expected! Major pain on my chest when I took it starting around day three. Have not experienced much pain on my face just a little bit of tightness and itching. Trying to avoid putting moisturizer and make up on as my dermatologist says it will slow the healing. That is probably the worst part so far!"

Jiggy1025 January 17, 2017

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Used it for 4 days and no results whatsoever. Typical 5% Fluorouracil Cremes show at least redness. Tolak has shown none. More so, the formulation of it is horrible in that there are little white clumps Right out of the tube that make application difficult. The manufacturer offers hugely discounted coupons. You're better off buying the generic for better results."

SkinCancer (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "I had extensive AKs for the past10 years on my forehead, scalp, temples, face and hands. Regular liquid nitrogen treatments removed those which were visible. They would return and other unseen AKs would appear. I wanted more effective treatment so I did almost 3 weeks of heavy applications of fluororacil 5%, 2x/day. The burning, blistering, cracking, stinging and swelling is most impressive. After nearly 3 weeks, my derm said I was done and it would take 2 weeks to improve alot, and 4 to be all better. He was right. My skin is great now, looks good and no AKs! It's miserable getting there but less cancer risk - why wouldn't you do it?"

Sladep (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Why shouldn't you use this stuff after a shingles vaccine? I got the vaccine and started using fluorouacil 2 days later! My doctor never said anything. Anyone have an answer? I'm still using it and don't seem to be having any worse symptoms than I did in 2008. Although, I DID have a pretty bad reaction to the vaccine......"

betterhalf (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "Worked fine in two weeks of 2x per day application in my bald head. However some AKs returned. Starting treatments again."

Goat21 October 31, 2016