User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex, Tolak

Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Keratosis 36 reviews 16 medications

6.5
Warts 1 reviews 31 medications

Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 83 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Fluorouracil

Carac (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "10 days into the treatment and my face is borderline unsightly. Had to stop the treatment on my chest because it started scabbing. Just hoping it starts flaking soon as expected! Major pain on my chest when I took it starting around day three. Have not experienced much pain on my face just a little bit of tightness and itching. Trying to avoid putting moisturizer and make up on as my dermatologist says it will slow the healing. That is probably the worst part so far!"

Jiggy1025 January 17, 2017

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Used it for 4 days and no results whatsoever. Typical 5% Fluorouracil Cremes show at least redness. Tolak has shown none. More so, the formulation of it is horrible in that there are little white clumps Right out of the tube that make application difficult. The manufacturer offers hugely discounted coupons. You're better off buying the generic for better results."

SkinCancer (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "I had extensive AKs for the past10 years on my forehead, scalp, temples, face and hands. Regular liquid nitrogen treatments removed those which were visible. They would return and other unseen AKs would appear. I wanted more effective treatment so I did almost 3 weeks of heavy applications of fluororacil 5%, 2x/day. The burning, blistering, cracking, stinging and swelling is most impressive. After nearly 3 weeks, my derm said I was done and it would take 2 weeks to improve alot, and 4 to be all better. He was right. My skin is great now, looks good and no AKs! It's miserable getting there but less cancer risk - why wouldn't you do it?"

Sladep (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Why shouldn't you use this stuff after a shingles vaccine? I got the vaccine and started using fluorouacil 2 days later! My doctor never said anything. Anyone have an answer? I'm still using it and don't seem to be having any worse symptoms than I did in 2008. Although, I DID have a pretty bad reaction to the vaccine......"

betterhalf (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "Worked fine in two weeks of 2x per day application in my bald head. However some AKs returned. Starting treatments again."

Goat21 October 31, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "I was prescribed fluouroucil for actinic keratosis, used it on my face, was told any redness, etc. would be temporary. That was four years ago. I'm permanently scarred w/ a few pock marks, particularly around the mouth. My face skin is now so much more sensitive than it used to be. Below my chin also gets red super easy, like if I just rub my hand across that area once or twice. (I later read a dermatologist say that he recommends excluding the chin area from treatment.) The one actinic keratosis on my nose had been removed and this was a prophylactic use. I'm very sorry I used this on my whole face. As far as being effective, I can't really say, because I'd be speculating as to if I would have gotten more or not."

NotForMe (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have basil carcinoma of my face cheeks and face had lumps. I have Scottish skin. Started Efidux treatment and after day 3 I became violently ill. For 10 days I couldn't hold any food down what ever. Both exit body points were hammered with oozing duck poo like stuff I have never experienced before. Bloated stomach, gas build up and always on the toilet. After day 10 the systems eased and I started to hold some food down. Currently on day 16 of treatment an day face looks like an iron has been applied to both FACE CHEEKS. Very painful and still feel unwell. This better work because I have researched this product before commencing and there were no side affects listed like I have had. Met another patient of efidex with similar side effects."

Rackoon. (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "On day 17 of 25 day Efudex fluorouracil 5% cream treatment on entire face, once a day, in the morning. Redness started on day 5 and now I am very red, face feels tight and dry. Some slight itchiness but not too uncomfortable. Bottom lip feels chapped. Face looks awful. Use cortisone cream at night. Fair skin, never tan, only sunburn."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "21 day treatment. This stuff is brutal but it works. Make sure you give yourself a full two months for treatment and recovery. This treatment is lengthy and there is a process to it. Try to plan your treatment in the winter or fall months when its cooler. Believe me you will not want to go outside. Your face will be unsightly and you will become sensitive to the sun. Use the medicine at night and aquaphor during the day or at least two hours after you apply the cream. Cool the cream in the refrigerator for a bit for instant relief. You WILL get itchy. I used a q tip dipped in aquaphor to gently relieve the itchy. Be careful around the crevices by your nose. You don't want cream to accumulate there. Hang in there."

Julie from Tucson October 17, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Have used it for pre-cancer on my face probably 6 times since 1996. Using it now on a couple of spots on the back of my hand. Have always found it perfectly effective. Yes, after a couple weeks it begins to look raw and ugly, but that quickly clears up after treatment stops. In every case the spots were cured. Luckily I have never experienced any of the pain or itchiness that others have reported. Perhaps mostly the ones who had problems bothered to report? And I still have the original tube of the produce I got back in 1996, and yes, it still works. There was enough in it to keep me going when needed it and obviously it didn't go bad. The fact it's in a metal tube may have enabled it's long life vs a plastic tube."

Wayne from NS Canada (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have BCC on my upper arm and SCC on upper left hand. Unfortunately after 6wks of treatment twice a day the cream didnt work. So disappointed and im now scheduled to have both surgically removed."

Smand (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I had a small lump removed from below my lip, and was prescribed efudex to be applied twice a day for four weeks. I have just finished that time, so I don't know how effective it has been. I had no reaction for 9 days, then my lip became very swollen and weepy, cracked in the corner. My GP suggested that I put vaseline around the spot before applying the cream, and that helped the lips considerably. I changed to paw-paw cream, which seemed to help. Now it is six days since I stopped applying the cream and I still have what looks like a large cold sore, as well as the red crustiness under my nose which started only when I stopped the efudex. I am hoping this may go soon. I am not sure whether to put anything on them or not."

Jojill (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I have used this cream for 5 days for pre-cancerous spots. Nothing is happening so far."

Sahar123 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Dear the a: I have widespread actinic keratosis on my forearms. I was prescribed Efudex. I have thin, fair skin and some freckling. The damage seems to have occurred from a childhood playing outdoors, before sunscreen became so important. The Efudex, astonishingly, did nothing. So very disappointing. The dermatologist was equally surprised, and prescribed another round. Still nothing. And no one can give me an answer. I am now considering a chemical peel or whatever the next step might be. So very tired of hiding my arms. Good luck to you. If anyone can give you an answer, please, please post it here."

the b1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

For Skin Cancer: "Tolak 4%. I used for three weeks every night also Used hydrocortisone 2.5 every morn. Treating my chest this had been so so painful for me. Couldn't wear clothes The itching and burning at times so unbearable. I avoid moving it hurts so bad. Applying Vaseline from the fridge gave me about 2 seconds of relief. I'm in the 4th wk and my chest is still burning and itching so bad. Hard to eat , hard to sleep. I hope this agony was necessary and worth doing."

Caralani July 17, 2016

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "The cream works wonderfully. It is a little bit hot and you really feel the burn. The outcome is worth it but it is CRIMINAL how much the drug company charges for this medication!!! It has been around since 1957 and in 2009 it cost $157.00 per tube, today it costs $2,865.00. Absolutely abuse!"

AngryRedhead June 27, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "Used efudex for 3 weeks per derm's direction. Derm said efudex was the "gold standard" and would leave normal skin untouched. I have very fair thin skin and was left with a second degree burn, permanently reddened wherever cream was applied and acquired rosacea from the new network of blood vessels."

BigRedNose May 29, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "This is my third time over the past 10 years doing this treatment. I'm scheduled for 4-6 weeks treating my legs, stomach and chest areas. I like that the medication seeks out and treats damaged skin only. My stomach has only 3 small spots. However my legs and chest area that have been far more exposed to sun have a much more aggressive reaction. The pain, redness, swelling and sores are extremely painful however my history reminds me that in 3-4 weeks I will be finished and my skin will look and be much better. Skin cancer gone and baby smooth new skin. It's affordable, and a more complete overall treatment that definitely works. Stick with the plan you don't be disappointed !!"

Caroline B May 2, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I was prescribed Efudex to treat various Actinic Keratoses on my forehead and balding front pate. Firstly my overall rating is that the treatment is very effective and I now have a beautiful forehead of smooth skin after 2 weeks 2 days of treatment and 2 weeks of recovery post treatment. It may be that my skin damage was mild. In any event I found the process quite bearable.I applied the cream sparingly night and morning and there was little to see for 3 or 4 days, skin then reddened and peeled/flaked - no ulceration or discharge. Although unsightly (looked like a bright rash) as a male I was still happy to go out and socialise. I used my wife's hair colourant plastic protective gloves but still washed hands thoroughly after use. Happy."

cooloperator (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Can someone help me? I have been using Efudex once a day for 5 weeks and nothing is happening. Wondering if I should try using it twice a day or wait untill I see my doctor?"

The a April 8, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "Definitely identified and treated multiple pre cancerous lesions on my face. Down side was a cold sore at corner of mouth and extremely irritated and burning lower lip even though medicine was never applied to mouth area"

Bk (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

For Actinic Keratosis: "I have been applying cream to my face for actinic keratosis for 3 weeks and my face looks horrible , like I have been burned bad. I have 1 week to go and hope I make it. It makes your skin burn and itch so bad but that is better than someday having to have surgery to remove skin. I found that if you apply vaseline to lips and eye lids before you wash your face helps not getting it on them. You do not want to get it on your lips ,it burns them really bad. I hope I make it through this ."

debaroonie December 24, 2015

For Actinic Keratosis: "I'm into week three of of six of effudex all over my chest after living in the tropics for 45 years. I have been told to use it on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening before bed. By Saturday it is so painful and itchy, but quietens down Sunday, Monday until I have to start again. I can't imagine what it must be like using it twice a day for 6 weeks. I'm using Aloe Vera in the mornings which calms the itching. Now I am getting scabs and dry skin and having a hard time keeping my fingers away from picking at it. Last time I used it daily on a patch on my face and was left with a red patch for nearly two years. I'm wondering whether some of you are suffering unnecessarily from effudex being over prescribed. I live in the UK and don't have to pay much"

Jadefish (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2015

Fluoroplex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "Like many other Topical creams for skin cancer, It has a burning effect. Dryness then flaking on the area's applied. It helps when the flaking has stopped and your skin has had time to repair the dead drying and sometimes a bit of bleeding in my cases. but seems to get rid of the skin cancer. So for about a week you will look a little scally best used before or after any family photo's."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Was prescribed Carac for use on arms, chest and face 7 years ago. At that time the cream did smooth my skin. After years of discontinued use, my skin where I applied Carac is horrible."

Laurie W (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015