User Reviews for Fluorouracil topical

Warts 3.0
Summary of Fluorouracil topical reviews 7.5 203 reviews

Reviews for Fluorouracil topical

Philip · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “Male 52, having had ongoing AK issues on scalp and face, regularly frozen with dry ice over past several years. Started using Efudex 2x daily on scalp for past 3 weeks; some mild irritation but not at all problematic; after 2 weeks crusty areas fell away (I did slightly agitate which I know I shouldn't) and will continue to use for another 1-2 weeks. So far so good, material improvement in scalp and tenderness has subsided substantially. Now starting to try small area on forehead below hairline, before doing entire face...just to see if reaction is very different, but this is just SO much better than having intermittent freezing. Will definitely do a second cycle on scalp after a break. Highly recommend based on 3 weeks' usage. Will update further after using on face. Thanks for all the other posts !”

Dr FoMo June 4, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I was prescribed fluorouracil in Dec 2019. 2x/day for 30 days. White male, medium skin tone. 48 and lived in AZ a few years and 20 years in SoCal. Never used sunscreen - ever. Started using on chest, arm, and both temples and a small cheek spot - turned bright red after a week. I’m now 20 days in and the problematic spots have turned brown and are finally peeling. Waaaay more damage than me of the derms thought. Been putting Vaseline on for a week now, which helps. My face looks better when I wake up, but dry and patchy. Super, super bright red in the areas with no damage so I’m stopping tonight after 21 days. 30 days seems aggressive, esp considering everyone else’s treatment plans listed here. Very glad I didn’t do my whole face at once but my prior small patch face test results were stellar.”

Isobel · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I am 70, with chestnut hair, fair skin and blue eyes. My doctor diagnosed actinic keratosis on a small lesion on my face. He recommended Efudix twice a day for 3 weeks. I used a cotton bud to apply the cream as it seemed easier to apply it thinly that way than with my finger. During the first two weeks the lesion started to become red and enlarged slightly. Towards the end of the second and throughout the third week yellowy crusts started to form and the lesion felt tender and raw. If I went out in the sun I put a small plaster over it for protection. After the treatment a scab formed over the whole area that took two weeks to fall off. Then new skin appeared and I have been applying Calendula to aid the recovery. I am left with a pink streak which hopefully will fade with time. Until then I will use a 'hide the blemish' make-up which I would think a man could also use, if need be. Overall very pleased with the result.”

Ding Dong · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I am on my 18th day of using Efudix. I am only using on my tip of nose. This morning a horrible crusty scab of blistering came off and it is now red and raw. I am still using as I was told to stop on day 21. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow to see how things are going and whether I should carry on for longer. No pain, just a sort tingling and look like Rudolph the Reindeer, but coping fine. Sleep well and no real side affects.”

Beaches · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: “I’m on day 15 and my face hurts so bad I don’t know if I can do 28 days. Dr said everything was good but the pain is intense, after reading the other reviews I’m going to try to make it at least another 6.”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I am on day 15 of the Efudex cream. I was terrified to start. I was actually prescribed the cream two other times and chickened out due to the photos that I had seen on YouTube. I am doing very well so far. It is super tight and red around my mouth, very hard to smile. I have spots all over my forehead and a few on my cheeks. It’s always a shock to see my face in the mirror. But without looking at myself it feels like I put on one of those peel off face masks just tight. So far I sleep just fine. I don’t however use Vaseline I use calendula it’s for burns and has worked well. I have also used makeup when I had to go out in public. It is definitely convenient being in lockdown because everyone is wearing a mask so it hides my super red chin. I have 6 more days of cream, I am taking this one day at a time. The only side effect so far that I have had is two different days I felt extremely tired.”

Dutchie123 · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2020

For Keratosis: “2 weeks of applying cream to my face only probably has pushed me into early peri-menopause. Started having some unusual bleeding about 8 days after starting treatment; saw doctors and had ultrasounds etc..nobody thought there was a link to the Efudix cream and I finished my 2 weeks of applying. It is now 12 months later and it is confirmed I am in peri-menopause for which I've been put on medication as I am only 43. I have since found information that Efudix cream can cause menopause; just google the two together and you'll find it. If you don't absolutely need this treatment; don't have it before your normal menopause..I wouldn't have if I had known”

Pale girl May 12, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I used fluorouracil cream for the first time in 2018 for AK spots on face. I Applied a.m. and p.m. for 1 week. By the last day my face burnt so bad I would almost cry when washing face. I had more spots than I thought. I was told cream would only affect areas that needed treatment and I agree. The main spot I was treating didn’t completely go away so Dermatologist told me to apply again this past December (2019). I was dreading it and Dermatologist said second treatment wouldn’t be as bad. I didn’t get as red or flaky and the pain was pretty much nonexistent (except for the areas that I didn’t really get the first time). So, if you have to treat same area again it’s not going to be as bad as the first time. I have never really tanned, even though I tried really hard...grew up w/o sunscreen, slathered baby oil and iodine on, and used tanning beds for years after they first came out. Only in my 20’s did I realize I need to use sunscreen because I hated being burnt.”

jay74 · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2020

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: “fluorouracil 4th day @ 2x per day, first time using. Forehead only at this time to see how it goes. I see others post that by 4th or 5th day the splotchy areas are where the creme is reacting with carcinoma cells. Could you not then use it for just those spots instead of a generalized application ? Seems like much less masochistic.”

S · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I chose to apply my treatment over 2 periods separated by 6 months. half of face and right arm this time and in 6 months will do the other half. 53 years old, scottish descent growing up in Queensland, Australia. Too late to chip my parents about that. Skin: Fitzpatrick Type 1. I had a good (severe) reaction within 3 days, applying three times per day against the advice of 2 times per day. Within 1 week, yellowish crusting, weeping etc. kept it up for two weeks in total, then stopped and another 2 weeks to recover. Good result. Pain intense, and I was fortunate enough to have a GP that prescribed some decent pain killers and a mild sedative (5mg Diazepam) to help me get through the night. Tried to persevere without the drugs but they proved to be a god send,. Would recommend to do this treatment in Winter and off work or working from home. (Trivial note: started treatment at the same time as working from home due to Covid-19)”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I just started I’m on day three I am absolutely terrified ”

JG · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “This is my second time around for using efudex. The first time was 6 years ago. I've grown up on the West coast and spent my summers in the deserts or at the beach. I am of Irish descent, brown hair, blue eyes. By the time I was 60, my face looked terrible. High danger for skin cancer, many trips to dermatologist. Began to hurt significantly on day 14. Everything I read and saw on the web said "stick it out". I made it to day 25, Couldn't do another minute. Dragged myself into the doc's office on a Friday afternoon. I looked like Frankenstein. Appt's clerk gasped. Doc said "Great job. Looks like it was very effective." That night I washed everything off, and applied Aquaphor. Next two days were most painful. After that, it got better every day, and within two months, there was no trace of the 40 years of sun damage on my face. So...I would give this a 10. I'm a teacher, and did the treatment over the winter holidays. It was all done by January 7”

marlin May 1, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I grew up in Canberra, Australia. Sunburn every year, never wore a hat, didn't know about sunburn cream. I started using Efudex when I was 38. I'm on my fourth facial using it. I can last 16 days at the most. I would be so painful if I used it for 28 days. I know it's time to stop when it is so itchy that I don't get a single minute of sleep at night. I have to stay at home for 3 or 4 weeks - I scare too many people otherwise. Before bed I have to take mild sleeping tablets (Restavit) and ibuprofen. I used to use Lucas Pawpaw ointment at night, but it's too thick and itchy. I use Dermeze treatment ointment. Lucas' is good for recovery. I have to wash the Efudex off before I go to sleep - otherwise I can feel its horrible burning all night. If I accidentally touch the treated spot and then rub my eyes, they get swollen for days. I hate the treatment (0/10) - torturers could use it. But I love the results (10/10). My skin feels so good for 4 years.”

Ed April 27, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I used fluoroyrcil 8 yrs ago on the left side of my face only. It worked well and nothing has returned since then. I did notice my skin color there turned a lighter shade but really only noticeable to me. Over the years I’ve used it sparingly on certain little spots on my forehead. I didn’t want to do the whole thing because I had to be in public and didn’t want to look like a monster. My derm recommended Picato cream because it was a 3 day dosage. I used it but can honestly say it doesn’t work as well as fluoro. I even had some brown sun spots remain after using it. Since I’m now working from home with the covid crisis and not seeing anyone I decided to go all in and do the remainder of face with Fluoro. I’m day 9 and doing alright. I’ve been taking Advil and using some aquaphor which helps. I’m not doing my lips or chin since I’ve never had issues there. I’m only going to do 5 more days..14 total. I’ll report back after skin heals.”

BQ · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “I'm a 68 year old male. This is the second time I have used this fabulous cream. Enjoy the results, YES! Enjoy the experience, NO! I applied the cream twice a day to my entire face for two weeks. After two further weeks, all of the scabbing has gone and my face has peeled. Still a few weeks to go before the worst of the redness goes. I must be honest - the pain was bad: Burning sensation, needle pricks, scabbing and blood spots on my pillow. Sometimes it was so bad, I had to ease the pain with ice. But all of the pain described above was worth it. The cream detects the worst affected areas - some I had no idea were damaged. It leaves the undamaged skin alone. This cream has reduced my number of visits to the seriously expensive dermatologist to almost zero. My skin feels and looks twenty years younger. I cannot recommend this cream enough, You should be thrilled with the results. But, as with most rewards in life, there is some serious pain involved.”

Mango · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: “I am up to my last day of treatment, day 21. I have treated my entire face once a day with efudix and would never do it again. After the first couple of days red spots start to appear, after a week my face looked like a severe case of sunburn and felt like it. The intensity of the redness increased along with constant burning. By day 12 I wad ready to give up but reminded myself I was over half way. I didn't know how I could bear to apply more efudix but perseverance and willpower has been on my side. It is a painful experience which I would only recommend as a last resort. Even today I dread putting the cream on for the last time but after that I know each day will be a slow pace of healing. I look forward to the end result and hope all the discomfort is worth it”

Spot April 20, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I was never told the clinical name of my condition. Only told 'precancerous.' On my face. I wanted to post because I see so many scary stories here, and so far my story is not scary at all. Just completed the prescribed 2 weeks of fluorouracil treatment. The first dermatologist I saw was a bit vague about where to put it. 'Cheeks and sides of nose.' She said unneeded areas would not be affected. When I called back to check, another dermatologist said, 'No, just on the visible spots.' But I'm kind of glad I first put it all over, because it revealed a lot of spots I was totally unaware of. No pain, only some slight tingling and itchiness. Totally manageable! Some areas have developed minor scabbing, others just peeling a bit. I'm kind of wondering if I've done enough? Will check in with to doc to see.”

Joe April 18, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “Asked to use 5 fluorouracil cream by my derm but I have always refused them. I have had a Mohs surgery and a few PDT treatments over the past 15 years. Due to Covid-19 I am working from home and can take the time. My derm prescribed 5% at 2Xs per day for 14 days. Applied to my entire face & forehead (minus the eyes, mouth, chin). Day 4 - pain intense, made it difficult to smile, eat or sleep. Face & forehead red, the skin weeps, burns, and in is turning a deeper maroon color. At night I get chills but keep praying that I will make it thru. Day 9 now, many areas have blended together around my nose & cheeks as well as some areas on my forehead & temples. The pain is difficult to handle. But not impossible. We are tougher than we think! It is important that I do this for myself & my family. I love them more than I hate the pain. You can do it too! Praying for strength for all of you who are about to join this battle & for those who are in treatment trying to tough it out. You can do it!”

olderwoman April 12, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I've been using fluorouracil 5 for three weeks now, in two places on my head. It seems to be having the desired effect on my scalp, but unfortunately it acts like superglue on my hair. Shampoo doesn't make much of a dent in it. Does anyone know what you can use on your hair to wash out the fluorouracil without damaging the hair too much?”

Itchy Dick · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: “I'm 69 and using Efudex for the second time. Just as in 2008, I have been recommended for 21 days of Efudex cream, 2 applications per day, followed by 21 days of twice a day applications of Desonide 0.05%. I am applying the cream broadly on my forehead back to my receded hairline, my sideburn area and my nose. After the first week most areas turned blotchy red and grew increasingly sore and itchy. I have experienced mild stomach upset and my face feels hot. It started to effect my ability to sleep around day 16. Almost packed it in on day 19 but read these posts and decided to persevere for 3 more days. It worked very well back in 2008 and I'm looking forward to the ordeal ending and getting similarly good results.”

Hanginthere April 10, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “I put off using fluorouracil off for about a year (upcoming social engagements/photo shoots and memories of previous experience) and finally took the plunge. It's a big commitment. You'll be out of commission for a while due to disfigured appearance/pain. Take it day by day and tell yourself that everything will work out. I found reading about other people's experience was helpful and supportive. You are not alone with your suffering. I did the prescribed 2x/day for 21 days and am currently in day 2 of recovery. My experience was similar to many others who shared their own experience: first few days calm before the storm. Day 5-8 facial discoloration. Day 9 to 21 disfigured with intense pain. Terrible lack of sleep. Painful talking and eating. Definitely blot dry after showering. No shaving yet. Still could place well in Halloween contest. Taking one day at a time. Staying out of the sun. Hang in there to those currently undergoing treatment and especially to those facing the therapy.”

In severe pain now · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I spent years in the sun scuba diving and hiking in Mexico and Arizona. For years I've constantly had to use lip balm because my lips were so dry. I tried many products and they never worked. My lips would crack and peel all the time. Just recently I got diagnosed with Actinic Chelitis. I have been prescribed a Effudex 5% once a day for 3 to 4 weeks. I am at Week 2 and experiencing severe, almost unbearable, burning pain because of deep sores with massive amounts of oozing and crusting and now bleeding, tightness and severe dryness. I will try to endure another week but I think I would rather surgery any day than this.”

WJC · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I used Flouroplex about 15 years ago on my chest and face, they were both a mess for 5-6 weeks, but the treatment is worth is. I started seeing the same damage on my chest and face and my DR prescribed Efudex 5%. It works the same and when I spread it on the chest little red spots started showing, then more and more. I look like my chest has the measles. Some are large spots that swell and ooze. It is very itchy with prickly pain, now in the third week, hard to sleep. I'm going to stop at the weeks end for a full 4 weeks. I also treated some specific spots on the side of my face but it just got very red, turned blackish, I stopped that at 3 weeks and it is healing nicely with the help of vaseline. I have not had any side effects with vomiting or headaches as others have reported. Once my chest starts healing I'm going to try some additional spots on my face. It is not pleasant but what chemo treatment would be? The alternative is surgery.”

Too much California Sun March 27, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “After five years of refusing to use Efudex, I agreed to since I was working from home due to the COVID-19 crisis and would be at least through August. At the time of this message, l have concluded my tenth day of Efudex and it’s a miserable and very painful experience. My lips are swollen and blistered and my face is spotted with dark red and purplish spots where the precancerous tissues reside; many are beginning to crust, weep, and peel, while my lips are a complete mess, making it difficult to smile, drink, and eat. Swelling has spread to the tissues around my eyes as well. In a phone call, my dermatologist said to stop putting Efudex on my lips and allow them to heal (I forgot to mention the swollen skin around my eyes). I’m debating whether or not to continue the rest of the treatment or maybe just apply it to the suspect areas that are very easy to see. While I don’t want to go through another MOHS or other surgery, I also don’t want to use Efudex ever again.”

Bren March 25, 2020

For Actinic Keratosis: “First I used this on my chest once a day for 2 weeks, after the first 10 days I had red lesions all over but I continued for the full 14 days. It itched like crazy, hurt when I washed it so that the wash cloth felt like a brillo pad, water felt like fire. After completing treatment chest cleared up. Now I am using it on my entire face on day 12 burning, itching looks awful. I have had 2 mohs surgeries on my face, 2 surgeries on my chest and one on my arm this has all been in a 7 months time. Hoping my face clears soon. I will have to have a lazer treatment on last moths surgery to help the scar out on my face and I will have to have correction surgery next to my eye from 1st moths to losen the tension of the skin. All worth it in the end.”