User Reviews for Fluorouracil

6.5

Warts

Summary of Fluorouracil reviews 7.7 119 reviews

Reviews for Fluorouracil

For Skin Cancer: "I had significant Mohs surgery about 7 years ago which left me a bit disfigured. The doc actually wanted to do a flap from my forehead but I refused. Anyhow about 1 or 2 years later diagnosed again with basal cell carcinoma (BCC). I went to different Dermatologist who used flourouracil. I started on nose and cheek but spots started showing up all over especially right side of face so I used there. Looked like a monster and hurt bad. Took long time to heal but looked younger and cleaner. Well I just got a couple small spots again but has been about 5 years and wanted to use cream again. It is not so bad. I only had a couple spots and using four weeks now and bearable. I think the cream is great My only concern is I just noticed a grayish spot on my nose. Doesn't hurt and looks nothing like the Actinic keratosis (AK) or BCC or Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) I've had. I'm really scared it might be melanoma but they are usually dark colours. I'll do some research on Dermnetnz.org Anyone have any spot like that and know what can be. Its not open or raised and very light. Like I said just appeared."

Scared (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2018

For Actinic Keratosis: "I have been using 5 FU for 3 weeks now once a day. I haven't had that bad of a reaction YET. The SCC spot on the side of nose did start reacting right away, so have a lot of other spots on my nose, and a few other spots on my face as well. Showing me yes I have done a lot of damage all my days enjoying the outdoors without sunscreen. I have 9 more weeks to go uggg. Has anyone else used this for 12 weeks once a day? Am I going to have a long 2 months of pain ahead of me? Or since I'm using it once a day maybe the reactions wont be as severe."

MommasPooky (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "Have been using efudex now for two weeks. I have been putting my regular moisturizer on every day and my skin stays soft. I use pure Shea butter. Having a little itching but not bad. I thought users might try Shea butter to help keep the area moist."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

For Warts: "I had a wart on my middle finger and was prescribed the same medication. After about 2 weeks I started shaving the wart down. It was removed and the area healed nicely, but now after about a year the wart is returning. I am going to use this treatment again before returning to the derm."

SweetieB July 22, 2018

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I've been using fluorouracil for 10 days After 1st application to my entire face, I started to see red spots and lots of them! I'm using the 4% cream There is very mild itching. My doctor said to use 1 X per week for 4 weeks at night and it's ok to apply moisturizer topped with zinc oxide sunscreen in the morning after washing my face. I don't expect to have problems with this med I'm redhead, fair skin"

Katie (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Why priced out of the average persons cost? Really worked great for my skin condition. Now I can’t afford it. Greedy people"

Why June 14, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Just got done using this for a superficial Basal Cell on my nose. Week 1 wasn't bad, just a little redness and irritation at the end. By the end of week 2, it was red and very itchy. I can't say it was ever very "painful", just uncomfortable and irritated. It has felt like something crawling across my face/nose since end of week 2, and itchy. Lots of trouble getting to sleep because of this. 2 weeks once a day, 3 weeks twice a day. It's still red and very itchy and I'm told will be for another week or two. Now I wait for follow-up."

RedNose (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I work for a dermatologist. In order for Efudex to react, sun damage/AK's, cancer should be present. Undamaged skin will not react to Efudex."

Anonymous May 4, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I was misdiagnosed by a dermatologist as having A.K. when actually I had eczema. Efudex turned my arm into a raw ulcerated painful itchy oozing mess. Unable to sleep. Application was for two weeks only, then discontinued. After recovering from the treatment, the eczema was still there. I changed doctors. One application of a medium strength corticosteroid, itching gone, healing started. Please get multiple opinions about the disease you have, and the treatment options before being told to use efudex."

Spock1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I treated my entire face last year for a little spot by my nose that ended up being a BCC. My doctor gives me 3 creams...Tretinoin first layer, imiquimod, and the third being flouracil. All three layered for each treatment. I did 5 days on and weekends off for a total of 30 applications (6 weeks). I definitely felt tired and had a general feeling of not feeling well. I can tell you that things are tolerable up until like the 18th or 20th application. Then erupting, blistering painful sores happen at any damaged skin you have. I barely could finish treatment. A year forward, I am now treating my nose and ears. I didn’t know they need a stronger dosage as they didn’t react at all the first go around. First 3 weeks nothing reacted at twice a week. Once he increased to 4 times a week and flu symptoms began stayed right there. Must get in 30 applications however you can tolerate. Painful but worth it."

EriMcA (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 8, 2018

For Actinic Keratosis: "FYI: Efudex is fluororacil. It was discovered in the 1950's by a fellow that noticed liver cancer cells took it up readily. It works by not allowing a cell to replicate (divide). A cancer cell that cannot replicate dies. Yes, it does affect regular skin cells too, but cancer replicates much faster so most skin cells are not affected but the cancer cells are. I've used it on three BCC's , the common skin cancer. It works well. When treating one on my forearm I'll do the whole arm. I've used 5% cream, a little goes a long way. A 20 gram tube will do my whole forearm over 40 days. It did not do much the first week, but by week 3 the cancer area had a scab and was getting smaller. By week 2 small "other" areas lit up (turned red) which are probably acticic keratoses. I'd rate reaction as mild and really not a bother at all. In fact the carcinoma "itched" terribly and the efudex/5fu stopped the itch. I have seen photos of pretty nasty reactions on scalp and face."

42pines April 3, 2018

For Skin Cancer: "I am using fluorouracil for the second time. This time I am not doing my whole face, I am only doing my nose and side of cheek. The first time I did not realize how many bad cells I would have. My entire face turned black and scabbed off. It was so painful and barely able to tolerate. I have had so many skin cancers removed, and I would rather endure the cream than have more surgery! I had squamous cell going in my tear duct, had to remove my upper eye lid and use for skin graft. The surgeon was amazing! I am so happy there is this cream, as I am refusing any more surgeries on my face!"

Carol (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Used this once daily for two weeks on my cheek. After the last day I was out in Dec. sun for approximately an hour in LA. With sunscreen. However, days later developed swelling and then developed large blisters which healed with large scabs. Thankfully when they fell off I was left with only red skin, with a few blood spots under the skin . All healed over in three weeks. Unfortunately, this experience has left me weary of using it again."

Blueyes (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "Overrated and overpriced. Won't buy again at any price."

T T February 26, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Is there anyone using the Fluorouracil 5% for only 7 days a month and what has your experience been. My dermatologist is having me use it at night for 7 days. Then I stop until the first of March and continue for 6 months. I’m on my 5th day and nothing except one small crusty area on my check. After reading some of the comments I guess I can expect to see something happen soon. Y’all are all brave people! This is scaring me!"

Teach04 February 6, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I'm on day 8 of 2 week treatment. After reading about the pain and suffering people go through I decided to do 5cm patch at a time. Started with left temple to cheekbone area which was already red patchy spots. By day four I had 2 very red burned patches on my cheekbone. Wash (gently) before applying each time. Make sure to wait 20mins. I have been experiencing fatigue and headaches of course burning at the affected site. Hanging in there. Hope it's worth it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

For Keratosis: "Dr. told me about fluorouracil. She also showed me photos of people, this helped me mentally. I completed my 14 days. I had bright red areas on face, spots on face & chest. Crusty skin spots that cracked, everything hurt. My chest was worst with blistering & drainage. Worst thing happen- somehow I got cream on my lip. I believe it came from the pillow. My lip blistered & was swelled. I found using Vit.E liquid was helpful in relief for lip. I am using A&D on red area, crusty spots & chest. Feels great. I covered my pillow w/ silky pj top. This really helps me sleep better. What gave me encouragement was the other remarks & knowing the "norm""

All the Way January 17, 2018

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I wish I had done my homework before using this medicine. I feel my dermatologist withheld the following key info from me: 1) Carac is topical chemotherapy 2) AK has less than 10% chance of ever becoming squamous cell cancer 3) Death from squamous cell cancer is extremely rare Had I known those 3 things, I would have never used Carac. I had a terrible reaction from Carac. On Day 3, I became violently ill with vomiting, diarrhea, body aches, and chills. I called the derm and she said to stop using it until my symptoms subsided and then start again. I stopped for 3 days and then resumed. All of the side effects came roaring back. A year later, I still suffer from chronic diarrhea. This medication is way over-prescribed."

afoolforusingthismed January 15, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: "At 65yo and lifetime in the sun and numerous treatments including surgery, cryotherapy etc Doctor said will have to use Efudix to whole face as had untold AK's plus Bowens Disease. Told it was a ''brutal'' treatment. He was right. All I can say is that this treatment was the most painfull experience in my life. By week two I was in agony but forced myself to continue the three week treatment. A word of warning. Under no circumstances get this stuff on your genitals. I did and it was agonising. Pain so intense sent me into depression for 3 months. Results were excellent however and no regrets."

Philpara (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2017

Carac (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I am in the middle of a Carac cream treatment (2 weeks of twice a day, then 2 weeks off, then 2 more weeks of treatment). This is my 4th time using the cream (face, chest) over the years. The results will be good, but the treatment can be challenging. Here is what I have found to be helpful. Ice packs make all the difference for me. Whenever I feel the itch coming on, I grab ice and leave it on the area until the itch subsides. Also triamcinolone cream really helps. My doctor prefers the ointment, but I find it difficult to remove. The cream goes on easy, helps with the itch and the healing. On the worst days, I took a prescription pain pill which saved me. My doctor recommended it."

Gus’s mom November 3, 2017

For Actinic Keratosis: "The chemist (pharmacist) suggested the generic brand for Efudix which for me is APOC - 5FU (fluorouracil 5% w/w cream). I have been applying the cream twice a day for the last week & my face looks unsightly as the cream has brought out all the pre cancerous AK - my face is very red & a little sore, but not unbearably so. It is also itchy - I have three weeks to go for the treatment, so hopefully this treatment will negate me having to go to the next step of biopsy then removal by surgery if it does then I will consider it a great success. Best wishes to all other AK sufferers"

Aussiebeachbum2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: "I was diagnosed with actinic keratosis in August and then decided to apply the Efudex cream to face in the middle of September. I thought that I only had a couple of spots which I was concerned about but after applying the cream to my forehead, temples, cheeks, nose, around the eyes and my ears it became quite apparent that there were a vast amount of areas that had been affected. In the First week I saw that these areas became inflamed although not painful. In the second week these areas started to merge together and then look like blisters and sores on my face, especially below my eyes. In the third week these started to scab a little and became a bit painful I think due to the skin feeling very dry. I am now in my fourth and final week"

Sargie56 October 7, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I have a question not comment please. I'm on day 6 if 14 days application. No reaction. Is this normal? I'm applying thin layer 2 times a day. Am I doing something wrong or us this normal?"

Deewithcancer (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Tolak (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I have used Efudex for years on my severely sun-worshiped skin. I could never tolerate more than 7-10 days, and never got great success. I tried Tolak once, with much better success. The mode of delivery, inactive ingredients or something made a big difference, and I tolerated it almost 4 weeks. 1X a day app and something about it makes side effects milder, yet results better. I ended up getting much better results than I ever got with Efudex. I see some people here are discouraged that they don't get inflamed as soon as they do with Efudex, but the milder reaction allowed me to stay with it much longer. I did get a severe reaction after the 3rd week, but excellent results. Will use again....no more Efudex for me."

Neuronic (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: "I had a small spot on nose. Used this twice a date for 14 days. Spot became very red and got scabby where the precancer is on skin. After 14 days stopped treatment. Now in healing process. Using Vaseline twice day. Scabs are showing coming off on own. DON'T PEEL. AREA very red but becoming less a bit. I hear it takes a few weeks for the redness to subside. So far so good. Not too much discomfort. I did get depressed doing this though as it's my face and I didn't want you go in public."

Tjdh1 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017