User Reviews for Fluorouracil topical

Also known as: Efudex, Carac, Fluoroplex, Tolak, Efudex Occlusion Pack

Fluorouracil topical has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 230 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of those users who reviewed Fluorouracil topical reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Actinic Keratosis
Warts  Off-label
Summary of Fluorouracil topical reviews 7.5 230 reviews

Reviews for Fluorouracil topical

geb49 · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2021

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “This is my second time using the Carac! I have light skin and very light blue eyes. As a child if we went to the beach I would always get blisters on my shoulders. So that's how delicate my skin is. I also love the beach and raised my children on Cape Cod in Mass.So the beach was in walking distance and we loved it. I was always under an umbrella. But between swimming laps and skied all over the USA the sun has done its damage. First time I was in my 40s and it was really hard because I was a hairdresser and could not take a lot of time off work. But saved my vacation time for the last two weeks. Now I am in my 70s and in the Fl hot sun and started a week ago with Carac and wow..My skin looks like it was burnt by fire. But I know in 3 weeks I will have gotten rid of all the red spots that would have taken a lot more money and my time running back and forth to the DR to have him burn off two or three spots and say see you in a month...HAPPY IN FL. THANK YOU CARAC.. MY TUBS LASTED FOR EVER!”

Pip · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2021

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “After my 11th basal cell carcinoma, my dermatologist found some actinic keratosis on my nose and above my upper lip. I have been using fluorouracil for seven days. Today is the first day the redness has really appeared, especially above my upper lip. My skin is starting to itch and burn, mild right now. I am supposed to apply once daily for two weeks, then take 2 to 3 weeks off, and apply again daily for two weeks. I had one basal cell carcinoma on my lower leg two years ago. I used the Aldara cream on that, and did not like it at all. I had systemic side effects and burning, painful skin for 23 weeks. I am hoping this experience with fluorouracil will be better.”

Chuck February 19, 2021

For Actinic Keratosis: “Last year I treated my scalp (twice daily x 21 days). This year I'm treating my scalp, face, ears, neck, upper back and shoulders X 21 days, healing for 3 weeks, and then retreating for X 21 days. I've just finished my 4th week of active treatment. My scalp's healthier this year. Last year it was one solid red scabby crusty cap. This year it was only red and scabby in tiny spots the first 21 days, and has only been red in a few spots this past week. This has been my first time treating my face, ears, neck, upper back, and shoulders, and they looked like my scalp did last year during the first 21 days. They're only red in patches these past 7 days. The experience has not been fun, but not awful, and very well worth it to me. I've had previous MOHs and regular surgeries to remove squamous and basal cell cancers, and have had melanoma spots (plus their area lymph nodes) surgically removed. The Sun has not been my friend. I think being mentally prepared to accept the process helped.”

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “I’m 52 yo sun loving female and started treatment of Efudex. I’m 3 weeks in and last dose on day 20. I didn’t react too badly to start at all. 3rd week in saw big changes as skin became more inflamed but very manageable. I was anxious with all the reviews I read but think it’s important to remind ones that everyone is different. The last day and night after finishing has been the most painful. I’m Putting 1% hydrocortisone on in ointment form. Keeps area oily Some benefits of COVID are mask wearing. With hat sunnies and mask I can go out and people don’t notice how hideous I look. Taking pain relievers to sleep. Itching, burning at night is worst. I’m a runner and I’ve continued all the way thru but will see what the next few days brings.”

BQ · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “I'm a 68 year old male. This is the second time I have used this fabulous cream. Enjoy the results, YES! Enjoy the experience, NO! I applied the cream twice a day to my entire face for two weeks. After two further weeks, all of the scabbing has gone and my face has peeled. Still a few weeks to go before the worst of the redness goes. I must be honest - the pain was bad: Burning sensation, needle pricks, scabbing and blood spots on my pillow. Sometimes it was so bad, I had to ease the pain with ice. But all of the pain described above was worth it. The cream detects the worst affected areas - some I had no idea were damaged. It leaves the undamaged skin alone. This cream has reduced my number of visits to the seriously expensive dermatologist to almost zero. My skin feels and looks twenty years younger. I cannot recommend this cream enough, You should be thrilled with the results. But, as with most rewards in life, there is some serious pain involved.”

JG · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “This is my second time around for using efudex. The first time was 6 years ago. I've grown up on the West coast and spent my summers in the deserts or at the beach. I am of Irish descent, brown hair, blue eyes. By the time I was 60, my face looked terrible. High danger for skin cancer, many trips to dermatologist. Began to hurt significantly on day 14. Everything I read and saw on the web said "stick it out". I made it to day 25, Couldn't do another minute. Dragged myself into the doc's office on a Friday afternoon. I looked like Frankenstein. Appt's clerk gasped. Doc said "Great job. Looks like it was very effective." That night I washed everything off, and applied Aquaphor. Next two days were most painful. After that, it got better every day, and within two months, there was no trace of the 40 years of sun damage on my face. So...I would give this a 10. I'm a teacher, and did the treatment over the winter holidays. It was all done by January 7”

Neen · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: “I have been using the Efudex cream for 10 days now. I have come out in red spots on my face but I am in no pain, as yet. I am wondering if I am using it correctly. The blotchy spots are crimson but not sore. Will it get worse because I was scared to use it but so far so good as far as pain is concerned. I do look weird though with these red spots everywhere.”

Cedric · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “57 year old male, brought up in South Africa, lived in Australia and 30+ years in the military with sunny deployments. Prev suffered two SCC's and Bowen's disease. I'm in day 25 of Efudex treatment, stopped applying the cream after 21 days. My face is very red and itchy, it's amazing how the cream identifies areas of damage. It's been tough at times, sleepless nights with burning/itching. Strangely when I stopped applying the cream I suffered stomach acid, unsure if its relayed. The biggest challenge is to persevere to the end. I use Aquaphore from Amazon to soothe the itching. Good luck to everyone!”

j mack · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “This is the best!! I've been using it for 4 years and it is absolutely the best solution for AK's. I am 60 years old, fair skin, been outside for years and developed way too many AK's, not to mention basal and squamous problems too. For years, the dermatologist only used spot nitrogen and prescribed caramac. I can only assume she didn't prescribe efudex because she needed the steady income stream from me and my insurance. By chance I was having a physical from my family doctor. He asked me when I was going to address my AK;s on forehead. I told him I did, and he told me he could write me a prescription for medicine that solves it, efudex. He did and I amazed at the ending results. Yes, the efudex was painful, looked bad when it was working but results speak for them self”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I so appreciate all your comments. I am day 21 of Efudex and my GP wants me to keep going another week. I am applying to my nose, hands and forearms. My nose is a beacon as is the area around it. Thank goodness for COVID isolation as it couldn’t be happening at a better time. I was going to stop today but after reading everyone’s experience I will keep going for another week. Thank you”

Jojo October 19, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I am a 60 year old with very fair skin and blue eyes who grew up at the beach. I was regularly burned to a blister stage every year. I had many keratosis burned off from age 30 to 50. Finally advised to use Efudex. I have completed treatments on my face 5 times now over the course of these 10 years. I have an unusually mild reaction each time. In fact, I have to use it for 40 days to get the full benefit. So, you never know how your own skin will react. The dermatologists have been amazed at the length of time it takes me to get a reaction. But for the chest area, the reaction is incredibly painful, red, and fast. Maybe the constant freezing of those places on my face helped more than I know? In any case, Maybe it could be recommended to try a small area before using on the entire face. The end results are very good and I would not let fear keep you from trying this.”

Rankin · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “Put it on the obvious parts of my face that I thought needed to be treated, found that the Efudix somehow seeped to cover much more of my face, had lots of redness followed by crusty scabbing, had to stop treatment after just short of 3 weeks as my eye were in agony with stinging gritty feeling, even though I didn't put any anywhere near my eyes - wonder if gets into sinus system and makes its way there.”

Philip · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “Male 52, having had ongoing AK issues on scalp and face, regularly frozen with dry ice over past several years. Started using Efudex 2x daily on scalp for past 3 weeks; some mild irritation but not at all problematic; after 2 weeks crusty areas fell away (I did slightly agitate which I know I shouldn't) and will continue to use for another 1-2 weeks. So far so good, material improvement in scalp and tenderness has subsided substantially. Now starting to try small area on forehead below hairline, before doing entire face...just to see if reaction is very different, but this is just SO much better than having intermittent freezing. Will definitely do a second cycle on scalp after a break. Highly recommend based on 3 weeks' usage. Will update further after using on face. Thanks for all the other posts !”

ford6970 May 14, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “I am now into my 15 day of using the efudix cream and I look scary I was told by my skin specialist to do my whole face and as directed have done so .I am a 51 year old woman that grew up on the coast and never thought any thing of it. After having a melanoma removed last year the ugliness ,pain and itchiness of this treatment is far better than a alternative outcome .Like others googled pictures and was horrified but remember the out come will be beautiful I would do it again in a heart beat.”

outdooraussie · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2013

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Skin Cancer: “Age 66 - spent many years at sea and as you can imagine my facial skin was a mess. Doctor put me on Ufedix (how it is called here) two weeks ago and the results are amazing. Of course it is not a pretty sight and sleeping is a bit difficult, the reaction was clearly pictured in the brochure that I was given at the clinic - but it does not truly describe the actual sensations associated with the inflamation. A little concerned I browsed for reviews and found this sight - after reading the experiences of other users I feel much releaved - thanks to all for sharing their experiences, now I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Stay safe and keep well. Thank you.”

Richard - NC November 14, 2010

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “I'm an engineer, now in my 60s, and I have worked outside all my life. I have red hair and fair complexion you can imagine the skin damage I have accumulated in my lifetime. I had used the Efudex 5% cream years ago and had good results. Three months ago I began seeing a dermatologist that recommended the "new" technology "BLUE LIGHT TREATMENTS". This did NOT work for me gave me a very mild "sunburn" with no apparent effect on the former skin damage and it was very expensive even after insurance coverage! I requested my treatment be changed to the proven Efudex my doctor insisted I stay with the "blue light", that my skin was "in very good condition" and that I only needed "maintenance". As you may guess I have changed physicians and now I am being treated with Efudex again. My skin is now in full reaction after only two weeks treatment with Efudex. Yes with Efudex your skin is unsightly and uncomfortable from week 2 through to week 4; but, this is a small price to be cancer free. Efudex works! ”

Snozz January 31, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: “Face was covered in about 7 areas after years of sun damage from working in the sun, used Efudex for 15 days applied 2 times a day till the 40mgs tube ran out , week 2 the pain was not nice but honestly go thought it it is worth it , Like having a face lift looking 10 years younger !!! Believe me it is truth . Using it on my arms now just started For any one going though a course, it really is impressive cream”

Gdsangl5 · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “Growing up at the Jersey Shore and summers spent at Fl Beaches, I fell in love with the warmth of the sun, and a healthy tan. At 55, the sun made my chest bubble up, and my legs reverse tan. It is no surprise that I had actinic keratosis multiplying fast. I was prescribed Efudex 5% for my chest, neck and face. I had no idea it was topical Chemo. What? I googled everything Efudux, bought Aveeno, vanicreme, Aquaphor, asked for anxiety med for my mounting fears and took a personal leave from work. Its Day 13, saw Dr., I'm done. I did look beat up. In the afternoon insane itching.. tap tap. Many more dead lesions, surface and crust up. I'm using cortizone, and aquaphor on the corners and for lesions around my lips. I will be doing this for years to come peeling back the many layers of damage. It has not been as bad as it was for others. It's uncomfortable yet tolerable, and much better than the alternative. The knife or Cancer. Oddly, I feel healthier and fortunate to be given this chance.”

Isobel · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I am 70, with chestnut hair, fair skin and blue eyes. My doctor diagnosed actinic keratosis on a small lesion on my face. He recommended Efudix twice a day for 3 weeks. I used a cotton bud to apply the cream as it seemed easier to apply it thinly that way than with my finger. During the first two weeks the lesion started to become red and enlarged slightly. Towards the end of the second and throughout the third week yellowy crusts started to form and the lesion felt tender and raw. If I went out in the sun I put a small plaster over it for protection. After the treatment a scab formed over the whole area that took two weeks to fall off. Then new skin appeared and I have been applying Calendula to aid the recovery. I am left with a pink streak which hopefully will fade with time. Until then I will use a 'hide the blemish' make-up which I would think a man could also use, if need be. Overall very pleased with the result.”

Wayne from NS Canada · Taken for 10 years or more August 30, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “Have used it for pre-cancer on my face probably 6 times since 1996. Using it now on a couple of spots on the back of my hand. Have always found it perfectly effective. Yes, after a couple weeks it begins to look raw and ugly, but that quickly clears up after treatment stops. In every case the spots were cured. Luckily I have never experienced any of the pain or itchiness that others have reported. Perhaps mostly the ones who had problems bothered to report? And I still have the original tube of the produce I got back in 1996, and yes, it still works. There was enough in it to keep me going when needed it and obviously it didn't go bad. The fact it's in a metal tube may have enabled it's long life vs a plastic tube.”

Tiny704 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 12, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “I am a 70 year old male who suffers from Actinick Keratosis from exposure to the harsh rays of the sun. Efudex is a fantastic product. Does exactly what is claimed. Make sure that you wash your hands completely after each application. Do not get it on your lips or you will experience great discomfort, (cracked and bleeding lips). Once you have completed the process (twice a day for 21 days), use Hydroval Cream 0.2% to assist in the healing process (works great).”

Dans62 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: “I've had surgery for basal cell over the years and had an area near my nose. I used efudex as directed. Sure, it looked horrible after treatment it was a bit lumpy like it was scarred. I thought it didn't work. The area, came back totally cancer free and the lumpy look went away. You would never know it was treated. Well worth it. I'm currently using it on my cheek and hoping for the same result. ”

Boatman · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: “Ten years ago I used Aldara over my whole face. 20 minutes of pain after each application and a violent reaction after 9 days. Face looked as though I had been in a bad fire and scared the kids at school. It did heal and I looked 10 years younger. I have just finished 3 weeks on Efudex and 3 weeks healing. Skin looks like the proverbial babies bottom and very happy with the results. This time I treated whole face, ears and parts of neck. Applying the Efudex was less painful than the Aldara, even a little bit soothing. Hard to sleep with sore ears. Tried all kinds of moisturisers and they caused stinging for 5-10 minutes. Used vaseline 2-3 times daily and it was by far the most satisfactory. Very pleased with the results. Also treated both arms at the same time. Used 3 tubes of Efudex on this session. Always worked outside and lots of boating. 76 years young now after this treatment.”

flyboy · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2019

For Actinic Keratosis: “My dermatologist prescribed a 14 day treatment of Fluorouracil Topical Cream 5%, applied 2 times daily, to treat actinic keratosis on my face, forehead and temple areas and the beginning of a lesion on my face. During the first few days there wasn't much different feeling to the skin but on day 5 the skin started turning red. On day 6, the burning feeling commenced. On day 8, the flaking and peeling started and it even burned to wash my face but what I finally found out worked well. After applying the medication, I washed it off after 2 hours as my dermatologist said that's OK because the medication works during the first 2 hours of application. I then applied to the areas a broad spectrum SPF 50 liquid sunscreen, letting it dry, and then a moisturizer, Vanicream Lite Lotion. After stopping treatment it took about 7 to 10 days for the redness, burning feeling, flaking and peeling to stop. Now, there are no indications of any actinic keratosis and the affected areas are all clear.”

FanchonLinda June 2, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “I have done this Efudex treatment three times over a 20 year time span. It is a hideous process but it beats the alternatives! KNIVES cutting you up in particular. I use and recommend AQUAPHOR instead of the expensive prescribed cortisone cream for a quicker more effective healing process. I think EFUDEX is Great!”

Simon · Taken for 10 years or more June 16, 2019

For Keratosis: “I have been using this off and on for a long time. The part that puzzles me is people just applying to their whole faces, lesions or not, I’ve never done that. Little rough looking red patches show up and I know that’s a pre cancerous lesion and apply the cream just to that area to kill it. If you catch it immediately, it only takes like 3 times a week for a couple weeks. Why would you draw them up and make your face a mess? I spot treat and it works quite well. If you catch early as soon as they pop up much less aggravation with the treatment.”

pdxbuc August 9, 2010

Carac (fluorouracil) for Keratosis: “Just finished my 4 week course of Carac cream. Here is my advice. MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE! I went to Rite-Aide and purchased a large bottle of Vitamin E and ALOE gel moisturizer (nothing with alcohol, which will burn or oil, which is difficult to remove) as well as a bottle of Baby Wash (you know, "no more tears"). Only wash your affected area (mine was face and scalp) with the baby wash (doesn't dry out skin) and once the Carac has been applied, wait about 1/2 hour and begin applying the moisturizer. I used the moisturizer heavily 5 or 6 times per day. It soaked right up and worked great. Felt like a light sun-burn with moderate peeling and when I was done and I healed up in a snap.”

nwfmike January 18, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil) for Actinic Keratosis: “After years of sun damage, my whole face lit up like a Christmas tree full of red lights within 1 week of twice daily application. Shaving: No problem. Use a sharp razor and light pressure with a mild gel cream Washing: Try Simple Water Boost Micellar facial gel wash. Great stuff. cleans your face and does not leave it dry OR oily. Does not irritate the burning skin. Still use it every day to clean my face. Lubrication: Try Neutrogena Hydro Boost water gel. Not cheap, but you don't need much. Worked great, no greasy feeling. Used a chilled aloe mask at night during last week. Timeline: Should be able to finish in 3 weeks of twice daily. Still pretty bad for a week after treatment with first 2 layers of skin dried up and peeled away. Had another 2 weeks of peelings. After that, skin was super smooth but still red in some areas. Took another month for most of that to fade away. Definitely recommend using Efudex. It's obviously not fun, but produces great results.”