User Reviews for Fluorouracil

Also known as: Carac, Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Fluoroplex, Tolak

Learn more about Fluorouracil.

Fluorouracil Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Keratosis.

Reviews for Fluorouracil to treat Keratosis

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Have used it for pre-cancer on my face probably 6 times since 1996. Using it now on a couple of spots on the back of my hand. Have always found it perfectly effective. Yes, after a couple weeks it begins to look raw and ugly, but that quickly clears up after treatment stops. In every case the spots were cured. Luckily I have never experienced any of the pain or itchiness that others have reported. Perhaps mostly the ones who had problems bothered to report? And I still have the original tube of the produce I got back in 1996, and yes, it still works. There was enough in it to keep me going when needed it and obviously it didn't go bad. The fact it's in a metal tube may have enabled it's long life vs a plastic tube."

Wayne from NS Canada (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Can someone help me? I have been using Efudex once a day for 5 weeks and nothing is happening. Wondering if I should try using it twice a day or wait untill I see my doctor?"

The a April 8, 2016

Efudex (fluorouracil): "This is the best!! I've been using it for 4 years and it is absolutely the best solution for AK's. I am 60 years old, fair skin, been outside for years and developed way too many AK's, not to mention basal and squamous problems too. For years, the dermatologist only used spot nitrogen and prescribed caramac. I can only assume she didn't prescribe efudex because she needed the steady income stream from me and my insurance. By chance I was having a physical from my family doctor. He asked me when I was going to address my AK;s on forehead. I told him I did, and he told me he could write me a prescription for medicine that solves it, efudex. He did and I amazed at the ending results. Yes, the efudex was painful, looked bad when it was working but results speak for them self"

j mack (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This was well worth doing. I initially did my face and a year later am back doing my scalp to finish the process - should have done it all at once. It completely removed all brown spots and left my skin looking 15 years younger. It took three weeks before my skin started "smoldering" but it wasn't more painful than a sunburn. Looked very red and I worked from home for about a week. This worked beyond my dermatologist's and my best case scenario. Awesome!"

TJ Fly September 5, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Had very adverse reaction after 8 days of applying cream to chest ended up with severe open skin wounds needed antibiotics, lidocaine gel, silvadine creme, prendisone, oxicodone, altrax, and ambien to sleep sooooooo painful."

stillitchy (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Worked great for me, some pain but when I was done my face was like a baby's butt. Stay home for 30 days"

Trueser August 5, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil): "62 year old blonde with blue eyes and fair skin. Spent 50 years in CA and HI getting sunburned. Now....paying the price. I have used Efudex and Carac cream treatments, both burn like crazy, peeling several layers, and red, red, red. I did my whole face at one time, but had to stop after 18 days applying once a day. Had blisters and bleeding, crying quite a bit. It took two months after stopping the treatment for the pinkness to disappear. Using sf 50 every day now under my makeup. Get lots of compliments on how young my skin looks. :o) Now I am doing my chest. ten days into the treatment with 18 day plan. Not as painful as my face since the skin is thicker. Still very red and starting to peel today. Using ibuprofen."

island gal August 4, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil): "I have done this Efudex treatment three times over a 20 year time span. It is a hideous process but it beats the alternatives! KNIVES cutting you up in particular. I use and recommend AQUAPHOR instead of the expensive prescribed cortisone cream for a quicker more effective healing process. I think EFUDEX is Great!"

FanchonLinda June 2, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil): "I am now into my 15 day of using the efudix cream and I look scary I was told by my skin specialist to do my whole face and as directed have done so .I am a 51 year old woman that grew up on the coast and never thought any thing of it. After having a melanoma removed last year the ugliness ,pain and itchiness of this treatment is far better than a alternative outcome .Like others googled pictures and was horrified but remember the out come will be beautiful I would do it again in a heart beat."

ford6970 May 14, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Fluoroplex (fluorouracil): "My doctor gave me this cream to use on precancerous spots on my face. She told me I could try on other spots as well. I have a large number of keratosi (plural?) on the tops of my thighs. I decided to try it out on them. It has only been a few days and they are almost completely gone!"

Rasunder May 10, 2015

"Works great, the only issue was that after 4 days I could not drink enough, lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks, checked my blood sugar and it was well over 300. I was not a diabetic and haven't been diagnosed as one yet. Went to Doctor to have things checked out and we're watching things closely, still not on medication for diabetes, but blood sugar has dropped to normal range 4 weeks after stopping this medication. Nurse at Dermatologist office stated that it's just me, it's not the medication. My blood sugar now varies from 86 to 113 for the most part."

Check your blood sugar April 22, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil): "Keratosis on my scalp is an ongoing problem...Carac proved to be a great treatment to remove these unsightly pre-cancerous growths...On it for a two week treatment period...No pain, just some small patches of redness...The only problem I have with this medicine is the outrageous cost for a tiny tube. Be certain to wash hands immediately if you apply it that way, or even better use a cue tip."

Retired44 March 27, 2015

"In week 3 of Efudex treatment and my skin is still raw and peeling, though less than at day 14. I applied it twice daily for two weeks; I personally could not have gone one more day past day 14. The first week was not too bad without much noticeable effect. Week 2 was a different story. My skin, especially on my lower forehead, nose and cheek area adjacent to my nose became extremely red and raw, like a severe sunburn. Also behind my ears and in the folds of my neck. I found it difficult both physically and mentally to apply more cream to those areas because of the pain. My Dr. says everything looks excellent. Applying a Rx'd cortisone cream now, but fading is very slow. Best I can offer is hang in there."

Red raccoon (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2015

"I was on Fluorouracil two times a day for two weeks. It wasn't too bad for the first 10 days then it continued to burn more with every application. The most painful part of the Fluorouracil treatment was after I completed the applications. A nurse recommended that I mix %u2153 cup of white vinegar with 6 cups of water and place the mixture in the refrigerator until chilled. Then, use a very soft wash cloth and the vinegar solution to cleanse my face. She also said to take the damp wash cloth and place it over my face for 15 minutes 4 times daily. Contrary to what I thought, the vinegar solution did not burn, it soothed incredibly."

Oilpainter December 25, 2014

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Flouroracil 5% used on lower lip vermillion border for over a year. Two biopsies confirmed actinic keratosis. After application once a day for 4 days, lip would swell and ulcerate, then heal over 5 days.....lesion would return on day 6. Repeated this over and over for one year. Now going to participate in a study for Solaraze Gel. Will report findings in three months."

Carole Rains (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2014

"I was a "beach baby", dropped off at the beach althrough high school us girls would plaster ourselves with baby oil and sun-in our hair, spent time in sun tanning beds to get that California tan, but here I am 56 years old going through treatment. Like everyone here, yes it is itchy and unsightly to be seen in public. Feels like falling on asphalt scraped on your face, but it gets better. I finished treatment worried I was going to be left with a pinkish red scar across my forehead but from the time it started drying out and became itchy and rough like a bad sunburn I used Neosporin "cream" with pain medication on it during the day and at night used Neosporin gel and little by little the pinkness is going away and its only been a week!"

Sun Baby #1 February 23, 2014

"I have used this product for a couple of years. My regimen is to use it for 4-6 weeks, then give my skin a break. I repeat the process about every 3 months. It took me a long time to damage my skin in the sun, I don't expect it to clear up over night."

bekku (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2013

"I am on day 6 of a 21 day prescription, and am finally seeing and feeling the redness, tight skin, and itching all over my face. I am very worried about what I will look like at the end of August when school starts (first day of school will be 8 days after treatment stops); I am a teacher and don't want to scare off my new students. I am thankful for the relief suggestions posted here, and I am also thankful that I did not procrastinate and I am getting this taken care of. I have seen many people with parts of their faces- ears, noses) removed due to cancers, so I think of the "after" to get me emotionally strong enough to bear these next few weeks. Thanks for sharing your experiences."

texsam (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2013

"Same as everyone else...very uncomfortable and hard to look at. Dr says many people go too far by continuing application of cream after 15 days. Stop. My dermatologist prescribed a steroid cream to relieve swelling and quicken the healing process. San Diego born and raised and growing up without sunscreen, there is a lot of sun damage that will be gone. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2013

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Used the product on my face for 6 weeks twice a day for two days every week. Depending on the extent of sun damage, the effects are dramatic and nasty looking. After the 2nd week the treated area looks like a bad sun burn, it itches, peels, weeps, bleeds and burns. But the results after stopping for 3-4 weeks are very good."

Largo7 March 5, 2013

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Efudex (fluorouracil): "Be careful not to exceed time period recommended otherwise there will be extreme redness and pain. On the whole it seems to work but I have still got red skin after a few days without using it. Doctor recommended following with Eumovate but I'm not too happy with results."

afoben (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2012

"I'm on day 18. Third day after stopping the cream. The first 14 days weren't so painful mainly uncomfortable. Today there is more tightness, dryness, itchiness and burning but still tolerable."

Anonymous May 3, 2012

"I am on day 12. It is very painful I can't imagine continuing to apply the cream for full 14 day treatment. Although after reading this forum I will continue as it sounds normal to feel pain at this point. I have heard the reaction is stronger between 2 to 4 weeks so I'm anxious thinking this could only get worse. Any help on that subject would be appreciated. I can apply the cream for 2 more days if I know that it can only get better. It seems weird to apply cream to such irritated areas thinking I'm just gonna make it worse. I have had stomach surgery and given birth to 2 children and this is almost more painful. I am confident the results will be worth it in the end though. My doctor prescribed a steroid cream. "

Anonymous February 12, 2012

"I am a 56 year old male, on Day 6 of the fluorouracil 5% topical treatment on my face and bald head. No problems so far; skin is getting a little red and splotchy, but not too noticeable yet. Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments - very, very helpful and comforting to hear about the problems and possible solutions, and the successes. Thank you!! Very helpful and comforting."

JimL1014 January 13, 2012

Carac (fluorouracil): "Was using Efudex which had harsh side effects (redness, sewlling). Doc then switched me to Carac - in same chemical class as Efudex but milder, yet very effective for me."

Skipkeller December 26, 2011