User Reviews for Fluorouracil topical to treat Skin Cancer

Also known as: Efudex, Efudex Occlusion Pack, Carac, Tolak, Fluoroplex

Fluorouracil topical has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Skin Cancer. 67% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Fluorouracil topical Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Skin Cancer.

Reviews for Fluorouracil topical

Neen · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil): “I have been using the Efudex cream for 10 days now. I have come out in red spots on my face but I am in no pain, as yet. I am wondering if I am using it correctly. The blotchy spots are crimson but not sore. Will it get worse because I was scared to use it but so far so good as far as pain is concerned. I do look weird though with these red spots everywhere.”

outdooraussie · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2013

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Age 66 - spent many years at sea and as you can imagine my facial skin was a mess. Doctor put me on Ufedix (how it is called here) two weeks ago and the results are amazing. Of course it is not a pretty sight and sleeping is a bit difficult, the reaction was clearly pictured in the brochure that I was given at the clinic - but it does not truly describe the actual sensations associated with the inflamation. A little concerned I browsed for reviews and found this sight - after reading the experiences of other users I feel much releaved - thanks to all for sharing their experiences, now I am looking forward to seeing the end result. Stay safe and keep well. Thank you.”

JMe January 18, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Two weeks after efudex and my skin looked incredible - soft and everyone asked if I got a peel! 1 day later day 15 there was burn abrasions, raised cuts and I went to my scheduled two week check in with dr and she said it’s “working Beautifully” and continue for two more weeks. During week 3 I had small “cuts” all over my face where I applied cream 2x a day. Small scabby cuts also appeared on my scalp, chest even though I didn’t apply the medication there. The dr said that was strange, but I read in the leaflet it’s plausible. Horrible taste in mouth and sick to my stomach within 20 min of applying still. I’m in horrible pain, look awful and two more weeks to go. Had SCC with two Mohs surgery then reconstruction of Nose and head earlier last year. I'm 47 years old and grew up in cal sun. Hope this prevents future SSC”

Sirius · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil): “After completing my EFUDEX treatment my skin seemed to get better and then it turned out to get worse and worse, red spots where I had applied the cream. My doctor could not understand why and prescribed me cortisone cream, which turned out to be much worse. Another doctor said I am cancer free but from now on I have constantly broken capillaries on my face and I am not able to do any inversions or put my head down. My skin is still irritated after 6 months that I stopped using Efudex. With a very sensible skin you should be aware that this cream is not always the best option.”

Dee63 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2014

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Before I started with Efudex I googled pictures and reviews, on seeing the pictures I decided to do one part of my face at a time, lip first and now I've just done 2 weeks on the right side of my face and I'm glad I did especially because I work in retail and the pain of feeling like you have cold sores all over your face, thank God for makeup is all I can say. I will do my right side once my left has healed and then my forehead followed by a micro dermabrasion. I think this product is amazing and the way it keeps working after you stop applying. Those who did your whole face all at once I take my hat off to you.”

ET · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Used Efudex on my whole face 10 years ago. I think it was for 4 weeks. Week 2 the redness turned into lesions on my whole face , especially my left side (drivers side). Hurt like hell. I play poker sometimes at a casino. I didn't have to look at me so my appearance wasn't my problem. After the lesions healed my face was as smooth as a baby's butt. A couple of the players were surprised I was still alive because I looked like I had full blown aids. I recommend it as I had no idea my face was such a mess. It is an ordeal. Using it on my ear now. started 6 weeks ago and in the last few days. Fingers crossed. Not pleasant but hopefully I can avoid surgery and plastic surgery .”

MHershman November 7, 2009

Carac (fluorouracil): “I have used Carac for 4 weeks. After the 1st week I began seeing flakiness, redness, burning and itching. Taking a warn shower was painful, being in a car with the heat on was painful. But I've gotten through it. Layers and layers of skin have peeled off. Underneath my skin is as soft as a baby's bottom and clear. Compared to having these lesions continually burned off, this short term uncomfortable condition was a better method.”

Teece · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

Efudex (fluorouracil): “This cream should be banned. After using it for three weeks I had a bad reaction to it. I have lost my taste and my skin has a terrible rash. Three weeks since I stopped using it I still have no taste. My life is ruined if my taste doesn’t come back. :( Do not use”

Didewson · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Being a white Aussie girl who loved being outside my skin was a mess. I’m now 58. I’ve used Efudex several years ago with great success. Started again due to scaley patches on face that never went away. These reacted instantly and then disappeared. After having a break started using on pigmentations on my face. These too reacted, interestingly I started getting reactions on places I didn’t put the cream. So I started putting the cream there too. My face is a mess, very itchy, sore. I certainly wouldn’t recommend using this on large areas at a time due to the uncomfortableness of the process. I know it will be worth it, so I will continue on. I have some lumps on my head, once my face is done I will be doing my scalp.”

Anonymous February 13, 2009

Carac (fluorouracil): “I have had great success with Carac treating pre-cancerous condition on my entire face area. The results were astounding! I am currently one week from finishing treatment on both forearm areas and looks like the results will be similar.”

cowgirltuff · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2019

“I am on day 14. I am doing my whole face at once. Luckily I work from home because it looks terrible. I refuse to go out in public, that is why I am doing the treatment in January. I did not realize how much damage was on my face until I started the treatment. I started out by putting it all over my face then once it attacked the "bad" spots I just put it on the areas needed (which is my whole forehead, nose and some of cheeks and chin. My skin feels tight and really dry with some scabbing. Very slight burning, no pain. After 14 days it feels like it is taking forever and it does not look as though it will heal anytime soon. So be prepared for a long process”

Grateful · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 1, 2019

“The reason we treat our whole face is because if there is precell cancer, or worse, cancer then the fluorouraci finds it!. I look like someone beat me up , but it's better than the surgery. It is painful if you do have sun damage, but after a month, it should be better. Certainly it's tolerable. I did have a few side effects. Leg cramps, but better than cancer!!!”

Philpara · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2017

Efudex (fluorouracil): “At 65yo and lifetime in the sun and numerous treatments including surgery, cryotherapy etc Doctor said will have to use Efudix to whole face as had untold AK's plus Bowens Disease. Told it was a ''brutal'' treatment. He was right. All I can say is that this treatment was the most painfull experience in my life. By week two I was in agony but forced myself to continue the three week treatment. A word of warning. Under no circumstances get this stuff on your genitals. I did and it was agonising. Pain so intense sent me into depression for 3 months. Results were excellent however and no regrets.”

Dogvan January 28, 2020

“Age 70, male, excessive sun exposure. The dermatologist suggested "Blue Light" on my face but after the painful experience with this same treatment to my arms I chose to use flurouoracil. I applied it for two weeks to my face, neck and ears. On day 13 I went to the dermatologist with fears of open sore infection plus I could barely open my mouth to eat. I was prescribed a topical antibiotic, a topical steroid and benadryl to reduce swelling, and an OTC product called CeraVe' Healing Ointment. The CeraVe' provided immediate comfort and relief from my misery and allowed my my first decent night sleep in over a week. I started by applying CeraVe' twice a day and then saw even greater benefit by applying every three hours or so. Aquaphor did not work as well as CeraVe' for me. I have been restricted from sunlight and leave home only after the sun sets totally (no twilight) to run errands. Looking forward to healthy skin again and daylight hours.”

So far so good!!! January 1, 2015

Carac (fluorouracil): “This is the 2nd time using this cream....more for a pre-cancerous treatment. I used it only on my nose 8 years ago. I am 10 days in on using Carac cream for my whole face. I thought there would be only a few areas but I have a lot of sun damage all over my face. Nothing on my nose (already treated), forehead less because I had bangs most of my life. During the day I use powder foundation to cover most of the dark red blotches so I can look normal. At night I take NyQuil to sleep. So far I can tolerate it all.”

Hapeface2 · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

“I was advised to use this on my face, neck chest area, legs and arms. I started on my neck and chest area. Applied twice a day for 5 to 7 days. I was able to do 5 days but not able to touch the area any longer. On day 6 the entire area looked like I had a very very bad chemical burn and the pain was unbelievable. I’m tough and have been through a lot surgeries. I can deal with pain. But this pain was beyond anything I ever experienced before. I tried using an Aquaphor spray to help. It felt like a blow torch was being used on me. After the initial pain of application I did not notice any relief. Not gonna use it anymore. The only relief I am getting, I’m on day 11 since first use, is warm vasoline, heating it up with my hairdryer makes it a lot easier to apply painlessly. I will not be using it on any other part of my body. And I wish I had found this sight prior too using because I would not have used it.”

Anonymous February 6, 2011

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Efudex successfully combated skin abnormalities that my doctor had cancer concerns about. I used Efudex for ten days and then stopped because of blistering; they were small, but covered my face. It's been almost two months after my treatment and I still have an unsightly, coarse rash. The steriod cream I used five days afterwards eased the appearance of the rash, but because of concerns over skin thinning, I could not continue with the cream.”

War dog March 20, 2015

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Used years ago my arms and it was successful for a time, after healing. But arms look like they once did. Red hair and freckles growing up in az before sunblock was used!! Now using on forehead. It's miserable I hope it works. All I can say is take it one day at at time. Keep battling.”

Deb · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2018

Efudex (fluorouracil): “I was prescribed efudex for squamous carcinoma. Was told to do both arms from elbow to fingers. One at a time of course. I'm just over three weeks of using it and it has not worked at all. Doctor can't understand why.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2015

Fluoroplex (fluorouracil): “Like many other Topical creams for skin cancer, It has a burning effect. Dryness then flaking on the area's applied. It helps when the flaking has stopped and your skin has had time to repair the dead drying and sometimes a bit of bleeding in my cases. but seems to get rid of the skin cancer. So for about a week you will look a little scally best used before or after any family photo's.”

sunskin · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2015

“I'm a 57 year old former sun worshipper. I'm 2 1/2 weeks into 4 weeks of treating squamous cell and basal cell carcinoma on my legs, and actinic keratosis on my face, applying fluorouracil twice per day. I'm covering the spots on my legs with micropore tape. After the fluoroucil has been on my face for 45 minutes, I cover my face with Aquaphor to ease the crusting and dryness. I'm anxious to see the end result. Regarding the cost...USE THOSE FREE PRESCRIPTION DISCOUNT MEDICINE CARDS! And the cost can be different with each card. ”

BJ02145 February 5, 2014

Efudex (fluorouracil): “Im treating slightly raised warts which only partially respond to tea tree oil, EGCG cream, tazarotene and many herbal ointment containing thuja plus etc essential oils. To those wanting to use Efudex, there are articles stating 1% /0.5% are better tolerated, compared with 5%. But Carac is magnitude more expensive. I guess the lower % is less irritating as normal cells are not absorbing as much. If you have deep growth, 5FU may cause significant inflammation/edema that may be excruciatingly painful .I found using oral Serrapeptase 120k Ux2(empty stomach) helps a lot in terms of managing inflammation and pain. It seems the warts are responding dramatically”

JimB · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 7, 2020

“This is my second round of skin cancer treatment with Efudex - I did a similar timeline of treatment in 2019. I have a history of BCC and SCC with multiple MOHs procedures and other excisions. I can honestly say this treatment is effective; however, it can be painful at times. All of my treatment areas have been scalp, forehead and cheeks. The cheeks tend to be worse, especially in weeks 3 & 4. This poses a big issue when it comes to shaving. Other than not shaving for a few weeks, has anyone found a way to avoid basically flaying yourself?”

rainedeere · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2014

“Used months ago on my upper chest now my skin looks 20 years younger there. I just had a surgery so I took advantage of a week prior starting it. Areas I would have never thought were the worst and I am thankful I used the product to help prevent and stop or slow an issue that would turn to cancer.”

Tucker · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2019

“Just finished two weeks on top of head. Ten days on nose and one cheek. Seems the wider the area I spread the more pops up..Just started on a 4x4 area on chest to see if anything comes up there. Don't know what the end result will be but seems to be working good..No pain or suffering so far.. Just some red blotches and some sores on the oldest parts.. 5% fluorouracil I'm giving an 8 only because I don't know what the end result will be but probably good.”

Learn more about Skin Cancer