Carbenicillin Side Effects
Applies to carbenicillin: oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bad taste, flatulence, glossitis, abdominal cramps, dry mouth, furry tongue, rectal bleeding, anorexia, loose stools, and epigastric distress. Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported rarely.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included mild elevations of liver transaminases.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included vaginitis.[Ref]
1. Saadah HA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 93 (1980): 645
2. O'Meara TF, Simmons RA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 92 (1980): 440-1
3. Huang NN, Palmer J, Keith H, Schidlow D, Braverman S, Goldberg M "Comparative efficacy and tolerance of azlocillin and carbenicillin in patients with cystic fibrosis: a double blind study." J Antimicrob Chemother 11 (1983): 205-14
4. Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Gilman AG, eds. "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 10th ed." New York, NY: McGraw-Hill (2001):
5. "Product Information. Geocillin (carbenicillin)." Roerig Division, New York, NY.
More about carbenicillin
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.