Carbenicillin Side Effects
Applies to carbenicillin: oral tablet.
Gastrointestinal side effects have included nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bad taste, flatulence, glossitis, abdominal cramps, dry mouth, furry tongue, rectal bleeding, anorexia, loose stools, and epigastric distress. Pseudomembranous colitis has been reported rarely.[Ref]
Hepatic side effects have included mild elevations of liver transaminases.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included vaginitis.[Ref]
More about carbenicillin
Related treatment guides
1. O'Meara TF, Simmons RA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 92 (1980): 440-1
2. Saadah HA "Carbenicillin and pseudomembranous enterocolitis." Ann Intern Med 93 (1980): 645
3. Huang NN, Palmer J, Keith H, Schidlow D, Braverman S, Goldberg M "Comparative efficacy and tolerance of azlocillin and carbenicillin in patients with cystic fibrosis: a double blind study." J Antimicrob Chemother 11 (1983): 205-14
4. "Product Information. Geocillin (carbenicillin)." Roerig Division (2002):
5. Limbird LE, Gilman AG, eds., Hardman JG "Goodman and Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics." New York, NY: McGraw-Hill (2001):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.