Amphetamine Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to amphetamine: oral suspension extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release disintegrating
Along with its needed effects, amphetamine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking amphetamine:
- bladder pain
- bloody or cloudy urine
- delusions of persecution, mistrust, suspiciousness, or combativeness
- difficult, burning, or painful urination
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- feeling of unreality
- frequent urge to urinate
- lower back or side pain
- mental depression
- quick to react or overreact emotionally
- rapidly changing moods
- sense of detachment from self or body
- Seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- severe mental changes
Incidence Not Known
- Blurred vision
- fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- overactive reflexes
- pounding in the ears
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- slow or fast heartbeat
- talking or acting with excitement you cannot control
- trouble sleeping
- twitching, twisting, or uncontrolled repetitive movements of the tongue, lips, face, arms, or legs
- uncontrolled vocal outbursts or tics (uncontrolled repeated body movements)
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking amphetamine:
Symptoms of Overdose
- Dark urine
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- muscle cramps, spasms, pain, or stiffness
- stomach cramps
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of amphetamine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence Not Known
- Decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- difficulty having a bowel movement
- hives or welts, itching, or skin rash
- inability to have or keep an erection
- loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
- redness of the skin
- unpleasant taste
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to amphetamine: oral suspension extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet disintegrating extended release
The most commonly reported side effects with amphetamine products include dry mouth, anorexia, weight loss, abdominal pain, nausea, insomnia, restlessness, emotional lability, dizziness, and tachycardia.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Palpitations, tachycardia, elevated blood pressure, cardiomyopathy
There have been isolated reports of cardiomyopathy associated with chronic amphetamine use.[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Psychotic episodes
Frequency not reported: Euphoria, dysphoria, insomnia, restlessness, irritability, depression, aggression, anger, logorrhea, dermatillomania[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Rhabdomyolysis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Upper abdominal pain
Frequency not reported: Urticaria[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anorexia, weight loss[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Blurred vision, mydriasis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Adzenys XR-ODT (amphetamine)." Neos Therepeautics, Inc, Grand Praire, TX.
2. "Product Information. Adzenys ER (amphetamine)." Neos Therepeautics, Inc, Grand Praire, TX.
3. "Product Information. Evekeo (amphetamine)." Arbor Pharmaceuticals, Atlanta, GA.
4. "Product Information. Dyanavel XR (amphetamine)." Tris Pharma Inc, Monmouth Junction, NJ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
- What exactly is Captagon and is it still available?
- Adderall vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- Concerta vs Adderall. What is the difference between them?
- How is Adzenys ER different to other brands of amphetamine?
More about amphetamine
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 96 Reviews
- Drug class: CNS stimulants
- Amphetamine Oral Suspension (Adzenys ER)
- Amphetamine Oral Suspension (Dyanavel XR)
- Amphetamine Orally Disintegrating Tablets
- Amphetamine Tablets
- Amphetamine (Advanced Reading)