Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing Side Effects
Generic Name: oxymetazoline nasal
Note: This document contains side effect information about oxymetazoline nasal. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing.
For the Consumer
Applies to oxymetazoline nasal: nasal spray
Along with its needed effects, oxymetazoline nasal (the active ingredient contained in Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking oxymetazoline nasal:
- Blurred vision
- fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat
- headache, dizziness, drowsiness, or lightheadedness
- high blood pressure
- increase in runny or stuffy nose
- trouble in sleeping
Some side effects of oxymetazoline nasal may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Burning, dryness, or stinging inside of nose
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to oxymetazoline nasal: nasal solution, nasal spray
The most commonly reported side effects were discomfort or irritation in the nose, mouth or throat, and sneezing.[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Eye irritation, dryness, discomfort/redness[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Discomfort or irritation in the nose, mouth or throat, sneezing
Frequency not reported: Rhinitis medicamentosa (after prolonged or heavy use)[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Afrin (oxymetazoline nasal)" Schering-Plough, Liberty Corner, NJ.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing (oxymetazoline nasal)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 1 Review
- Drug class: nasal antihistamines and decongestants
- FDA Alerts (5)