The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit
Generic Name: desonide topical (DES oh nide)
Brand Name: Desonate, DesOwen, LoKara, Verdeso
What is DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical)?
Desonide is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Desonide topical (for the skin) is used to treat the inflammation and itching caused by a number of skin conditions such as allergic reactions, eczema, and psoriasis.
Desonide topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical)?
You should not use desonide topical if you are allergic to it.
To make sure desonide topical is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
any type of skin infection.
Also tell your doctor if you have diabetes. Steroid medicines may increase the glucose (sugar) levels in your blood or urine. You may also need to adjust the dose of your diabetes medications.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether desonide topical will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medicine.
It is not known whether desonide topical passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Desonide topical is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old. Children can absorb larger amounts of this medication through the skin and may be more likely to have unwanted side effects.
How should I use DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical)?
This medicine is usually applied 2 or 3 times daily. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not take by mouth. Desonide topical is for use only on the skin.
Wash your hands before and after using desonide topical, unless you are using the medicine to treat the skin on your hands.
Apply a small amount to the affected area and rub it gently into the skin. Do not apply desonide topical over a large area of skin.
Do not cover the treated skin area unless your doctor tells you to.
Use desonide topical regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
Call your doctor if your skin condition does not improve after 2 weeks of treatment, or if it gets worse while using desonide topical.
If you use this medicine long-term, you may need frequent medical tests at your doctor's office.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
An overdose of desonide topical is not expected to produce life threatening symptoms. However, long term use of high steroid doses can lead to symptoms such as thinning skin, easy bruising, changes in the shape or location of body fat (especially in your face, neck, back, and waist), increased acne or facial hair, menstrual problems, impotence, or loss of interest in sex.
What should I avoid while using DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical)?
Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes. If contact does occur, rinse with water. Do not use desonide topical on broken or infected skin. Also avoid using this medicine in open wounds.
Do not use desonide topical to treat any condition that has not been checked by your doctor.
DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Topical steroid medicine can be absorbed through the skin, which may cause steroid side effects throughout the body. Stop using desonide topical and call your doctor if you have:
blurred vision, or seeing halos around lights;
sleep problems (insomnia);
weight gain, puffiness in your face; or
Also stop using desonide topical and call your doctor at once if you have:
severe skin redness where the medicine was applied; or
signs of skin infection (swelling, redness, warmtth, oozing).
Common side effects may include:
stinging or burning of treated skin;
skin itching or irritation;
dry, scaly, or peeling skin;
acne, skin rash;
lightened color of treated skin; or
folliculitis (redness or crusting around your hair follicles).
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect DesOwen Lotion 4 oz Kit (desonide topical)?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied desonide. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about DesOwen (desonide topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical steroids
- DesOwen (Desonide Cream, Gel, and Ointment)
- DesOwen (Desonide Lotion)
- DesOwen Lotion Kit
- Desowen (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about desonide topical.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 8.01. Revision Date: 2014-11-25, 10:51:04 AM.