How is Skyrizi injection administered?
Medically reviewed by Melisa Puckey, BPharm. Last updated on May 13, 2020.
- You can take the Skyrizi Prefilled Syringe carton out of the refrigerator about 15 minutes to 30 minutes before injection time, this way it will warm up to room temperature and will be more comfortable to inject.
- DO NOT SHAKE the Skyrizi Prefilled Syringe.
- The Skyrizi dose is TWO injections, the second injection should be given straight after the first injection, but NOT injected into the same site.
Where do you inject Skyrizi?
- You can inject into the front of your thighs, which is the top part of your leg between your knee and hip, which is right in front of you when you are sitting down on a chair.
- You can also use the lower part of the abdomen but not around your belly button, your injection needs to be at least 2 inches away from you belly button.
- If you have someone else giving you your injection they can also use the outer area of the upper arm.
- You should only inject into clear, healthy skin. Do NOT inject into any areas that are bruised, tender, red, scaly or hard.
- The Skyrizi dose is two injections, they should NOT be injected into the same site. You need to choose the 2 areas where you are going to inject from the 3 injectable areas: left thigh, right thigh and abdomen. If someone else is giving the injection they may also choose from the outer area of the left or right upper arms.
How do you administer Skyrizi?
- Step 1 Get everything you need ready: 2 prefilled syringes, 2 alcohol wipes (included), 2 cotton balls or gauze pads (not included) and sharps disposal container (not included).
- Step 2 Wash your hands before you start, then clean the 2 injection sites with an alcohol wipe and let the areas dry.
- Step 3 Take the prefilled syringe from the outer carton and remove it from the blister packet . Check the liquid inside the prefilled syringe. The liquid should be clear to slightly yellow and may contain tiny white or clear particles. If the liquid is cloudy or you can see flakes or large particles then DO NOT USE IT. It is normal for one or more bubbles in the syringe. Do NOT use it if the injection has been frozen - even if it has been thawed.
- Step 4 Remove the needle cap from the Skyrizi prefilled syringe and throw it away.
- Step 5 Hold the prefilled syringe in one hand then with the other hand gently pinch the skin at the injection site to form a small bump of skin. Then insert the needle at a 45-degree angle into the small bump, making sure you push the needle all the way in.
- Step 6 Now with your first two fingers on the finger grips of the syringe and slowly with your thumb completely push down the plunger as far as it can go and all the liquid is injected and the syringe is empty.
- Step 7 Then while keeping the syringe at the same angle pull the needle out of the skin, then release the plunger rod and the entire needle should then be covered by the needle guard. This will only happen if all the liquid has been injected.
- Step 8 Press the cotton ball against the injection site for 10 seconds and then place a small adhesive bandage over the injection site if required.
- Step 9 Throw away the used Skyrizi prefilled syringe into your sharps disposal container.
- Step 10 Once you have finished the first injection you need to use the second injection to get your full dose. Choose your second site for injection and follow steps 3 through to 9.
- Skyrizi prefilled syringes can be self administered by the patient. Your health professional should teach you how to inject yourself properly.
- Skyrizi dose is two injections, the second injection to be given straight after the first injection. They are to be injected in two different sites.
- The injections can be injected into the top of the thighs or the lower abdomen excluding two inches around the belly button. If someone else is injecting Skyrizi for you, they can inject it into the outer area of the upper arms.
- It is important to follow storage and administration instructions fully.
For more information on how to administer Skyrizi with diagrams see Skyrizi Patient Counseling information
Related Medical Questions
- How long does it take for Skyrizi to work?
- What is Skyrizi used for and how does it work?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of plaque psoriasis?
- Skyrizi vs Ilumya. What’s the difference?
- Skyrizi Information for Consumers
- Skyrizi Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Skyrizi (detailed)