How long does Paragard last?
Once in place, Paragard provides continuous pregnancy prevention for as long as you want it to, up to a maximum of 10 years. When you decide you want to try for a baby, your doctor or a trained nurse can remove Paragard. Research has shown that Paragard does not affect your fertility; however, in most women fertility starts to decline after the age of 30. Over 43% of women become pregnant within 3 months of Paragard being removed.
Paragard is a small T-shaped intrauterine non-hormonal contraceptive device that works by continuously releasing a small number of copper ions into the uterine cavity which prevents pregnancy. These copper ions change the fluid within the fallopian tube and the uterus, disrupting the motility of sperm and making them unable to fertilize an egg. Paragard may also prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg.
Paragard belongs to the class of devices called intrauterine copper contraceptives.
- Paragard Paragard.com https://www.paragard.com/
- Copper IUD (ParaGard) Mayo Clinic https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/paragard/about/pac-20391270#:~:text=The%20copper%20IUD%20(ParaGard)%20contains,term%20birth%20control%20(contraception).
- Paragard. 09/2019 CooperSurgical, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/paragard.html
Related Medical Questions
- Why are my nipples sore? 7 possible causes
- Do antibiotics affect the morning after pill?
- What are the side effects of IUDs?
- Can antibiotics delay or make your period late?
- When do I start taking Diane pills for birth control?
- Can Kyleena cause weight gain?
- After having a Kyleena insertion, how long do I have to wait to have intercourse?
- When will I get my first period after inserting the Implanon implant?
- Mirena, Kyleena, Skyla & Liletta - What's the difference?
- Is this normal - spotting and stomach cramps from starting birth control pills?
- Can Kyleena cause acne?
- Can birth control cause depression?
- Twirla vs Xulane: How do they compare?
- Why are the Trinessa birth control pills colored differently for different weeks? When do I start?
- How long after having a Depo Provera shot can you have unprotected sex?
Related Support Groups
- Contraception (192 questions, 1039 members)