How long does it take for Nucala to work?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on Sep 28, 2020.
Nucala starts working within 48 hours; however, it may take up to 4 weeks before the maximum effect of Nucala is seen for both asthma and eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA). In asthma, the greatest reductions in eosinophils were seen with higher dosages, for example, a 64% reduction in eosinophils was seen with a 12.5mg SC dose and a 90% reduction was seen with a 250mg SC dose after 48 hours.
Nucala (mepolizumab) is a biologic that is administered by subcutaneous injection once every four weeks.
It is approved as an add-on maintenance treatment for severe eosinophilic asthma in adults and children aged 6 and older. It is also approved for the treatment of adult patients with eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (Churg-Strauss syndrome) and for the treatment of patients ≥12 years with hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES).
In trials of people with eosinophilic asthma:
- Reductions in blood eosinophils were seen within 48 hours of a dose of mepolizumab for all treatment doses
- Greater eosinophil reductions were seen with higher mepolizumab dosages, for example, 64% with a 12.5mg SC dose, 78% for a 75mg dose, and 90% with a 250mg SC dose
- After treatment with Nucala 100mg SC every 4 weeks, blood eosinophils showed an average reduction of 84% (down to 40 cells/mcL) in adults
- After treatment with Nucala 40mg SC every 4 weeks, blood eosinophils showed an average reduction of and 85% (down to 48 cells/mcL) in children aged 6 to 11 years.
- The greatest effect was seen after 4 weeks of treatment and this was maintained throughout the treatment period.
In trials of people with EGPA blood eosinophil levels were reduced by 83% (down to 38 cells/mcL) with mepolizumab 300mg every 4 weeks.
- Nucala (mepolizumab). Sep 1, 2019. GlaxoSmithKline LLC https://www.drugs.com/pro/nucala.html
Related Medical Questions
- Can Nucala cause weight gain?
- Can Nucala be self-administered?
- What is Nucala (mepolizumab) used for and how is it given?
- Can vitamin C prevent or treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Prednisone vs Prednisolone - What's the difference?
- What are the side effects of steroids?
- Trelegy vs. Breo: How do they compare?
- Is loss of sense of smell a symptom of COVID-19?
- Can you take Symbicort and prednisone together?
- Does coffee help with asthma?
- Can you take Trelegy and Symbicort together?
- Is Wixela Inhub the same as Advair Diskus?
- Does Fasenra weaken your immune system?
- How long does Fasenra take to work?
- How does Dupixent help with asthma?
- What is Fasenra used for and how does it work?
- How is the new Primatene Mist different to the old formulation?
- How long does an asthma attack last?