How long does an asthma attack last?
Medically reviewed by Sally Chao, MD. Last updated on Feb 2, 2021.
An asthma attack or flare-up can last a few minutes if it is mild or hours to days if it is severe. The duration varies based on the trigger and how long the airways have been inflamed.
During an asthma attack, your airways become more sensitive to asthma triggers such as:
- Dust mites
- Animal dander
When this occurs, the lining of the airways can become inflamed. In addition, the muscles around the airways tighten and your airways may become clogged with mucus. As a result, your lungs can’t move air in and out efficiently, causing:
- Breathing difficulty
- Chest tightness
By contrast, the airways are fully open during normal breathing, and air moves in and out with ease.
Treating an asthma attack
Asthma treatment typically involves a long-term daily controller(s), plus another rescue inhaler for asthma attacks. These short-acting rescue inhalers can usually stop an asthma attack by relaxing the airways. If the asthma attack is more serious, systemic steroids may be needed to reduce airway inflammation. If necessary, asthma medications and treatment regimens can be adjusted to minimize the number, severity and duration of asthma attacks.
Some asthma attacks are severe and will require immediate medical attention. If asthma medication is not working and breathing is getting worse, not better, call 911 or go to the emergency department.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). Asthma. May 21,2020. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/asthma. [Accessed November 9, 2020].
- American Academy of Family Physicians. How to Treat an Asthma Attack. July 1, 2011. Available at: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2011/0701/p49.html. [Accessed November 9, 2020].
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Asthma Attack. Available at:
- https://acaai.org/asthma/symptoms/asthma-attack. [Accessed November 9, 2020].
Related Medical Questions
- Can vitamin C prevent or treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Prednisone vs Prednisolone - What's the difference?
- What are the side effects of steroids?
- Trelegy vs. Breo: How do they compare?
- Is loss of sense of smell a symptom of COVID-19?
- Can you take Symbicort and prednisone together?
- Does coffee help with asthma?
- Can you take Trelegy and Symbicort together?
- Is Wixela Inhub the same as Advair Diskus?
- Does Fasenra weaken your immune system?
- How long does it take for Nucala to work?
- How long does Fasenra take to work?
- What is Fasenra used for and how does it work?
- How does Dupixent help with asthma?
- Why is asthma worse at night?
Related Support Groups
- Asthma (86 questions, 439 members)