How long does it take Entyvio to start working?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 17, 2020.
Entyvio may reduce your gut inflammation in about 6 weeks. Over time, Entyvio can help you to reduce your symptoms, go into remission, and reduce or stop the use of corticosteroids. In remission, your symptoms such as stomach pain and cramping, diarrhea and fatigue will go away.
Entyvio works by preventing too many white blood cells from entering into your GI tract (intestine). This helps to control inflammation and symptoms of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
How fast does Entyvio work for ulcerative colitis?
Entyvio may reduce your ulcerative colitis (UC) symptoms in about 6 weeks according to clinical trials, but symptoms improvement may occur sooner.
- Of 373 patients with UC who received Entyvio, 46% (225 patients) had a clinical response at 6 weeks compared to 26% (149 patients) who received placebo (inactive agent).
- Some patients achieved clinical remission at 6 weeks (17% on Entyvio vs. 5% on placebo).
- In studies that were carried out to one year, 42% of patients were in clinical remission at Week 52 compared to 16% of patients on a placebo.
How fast does Entyvio work for Crohn’s disease?
In patients with Crohn’s disease,
- 15% of those receiving Entyvio in 2 studies were in remission at 6 weeks, compared to 7% and 12% on placebo. Only one study was found to be statistically significant.
- In two Entyvio studies going out to one year, 39% and 44% of patients were in remission at the end of the trial, compared to 22% and 30% of patients who received a placebo. Both studies were found to be statistically significant.
Every patient reacts differently to medication treatment and has a different level of disease severity, so your individual results may vary. Not every patient will respond to Entyvio. Your doctor can give you the best information about your treatment course.
If after 14 weeks you do not have a therapeutic benefit with Entyvio your doctor may discontinue your Entyvio treatment.
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Entyvio (vedolizumab) prescribing information. Deerfield, IL; March 2020. https://general.takedapharm.com/ENTYVIOPI
Related Medical Questions
- Does Entyvio cause weight gain?
- Will I lose weight with Entyvio?
- How long does an Entyvio infusion take?
- Is Entyvio an immunosuppressant or a biologic?
- How much does Entyvio cost per month?
- Can I take antibiotics while on Entyvio?
- Entyvio Information for Consumers
- Entyvio Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Entyvio (detailed)