Is Entyvio used to treat ulcerative colitis?
Entyvio may be used to treat moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis (UC) in adults. It helps to control inflammation in the gut when other medications for UC have not worked well enough or have side effects that are difficult for the person with UC to tolerate. It may take up to six weeks for a noticeable effect to be seen.
With continued treatment, Entyvio can significantly relieve symptoms, induce remission, and reduce or stop the use of corticosteroids. When people are in remission, symptoms such as stomach pain and cramping, diarrhea and fatigue go away. After 1 year of treatment, 52% of patients taking Entyvio had an improvement in the way their intestinal lining looked to their doctor during an endoscopy.
In one trial, 46% (225) patients taking Entyvio for UC had a clinical response at 6 weeks compared to 26% (149 patients) who received a placebo (inactive agent). Some patients achieved clinical remission at 6 weeks (17% on Entyvio vs. 5% on placebo). In studies that were carried out for one year, 42% of patients were in clinical remission at Week 52 compared to 16% of patients on a placebo. In two Entyvio studies that were extended to one year, 39% and 44% of patients were in remission at the end of the trial, compared to 22% and 30% of patients who received a placebo. Both studies were found to be statistically significant.
Individual results may vary. If after 14 weeks, you have not experienced a therapeutic benefit with Entyvio your doctor may consider discontinuing Entyvio treatment.
Entyvio is available as a single-dose prefilled pen for subcutaneous administration after induction therapy with Entyvio intravenous.
- Results for Patients with Ulcerative Colitis. Entyvio (vedolizumab). Entyvio.com https://www.entyvio.com/ulcerative-colitis
- Entyvio (vedolizumab) Injection. Updated 10/2023.Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/entyvio-injection.html
Related medical questions
- How long does it take Entyvio to start working?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking Entyvio?
- Entyvio and the COVID vaccine, what should I know?
- Does Entyvio cause weight gain?
- Does Entyvio increase the risk of cancer?
- Does Entyvio cause joint pain?
- Can Entyvio be given at home?
- Will I lose weight with Entyvio?
- How long does an Entyvio infusion take?
- Is Entyvio used to treat Crohn’s disease?
- How is Entyvio administered?
- Entyvio Information for Consumers
- Entyvio prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Entyvio (detailed)