How long does an Entyvio infusion take?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD Last updated on Apr 17, 2020.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Entyvio (vedolizumab) from Takeda Pharmaceuticals is FDA-approved to treat adult patients with moderate to severe ulcerative colitis or Crohn‘s disease. Entyvio is classified as an integrin receptor antagonist that blocks circulating inflammatory cells to decrease inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract.
Entyvio is given by a health care provider through a needle placed in a vein (IV) in your arm. Entyvio infusions take about 30 minutes each time, but your entire clinic visit might take a couple of hours. You can usually go back to your normal activities after the infusion.
Here’s how your dosing will work:
- Starting doses: You will be given 3 starting dose infusions of 30 minutes each. Initially to start treatment you will receive these infusions at week 0 (your 1st dose), week 2, and then at week 6.
- Maintenance doses: After your starting doses, you'll get one 30‑minute infusion every 8 weeks in order to keep your disease under control.
After the first year, you will receive 6 Entyvio infusions per year. Infusion locations may include your doctor’s office, a local infusion center, a hospital or even at your home. Talk to your doctor and insurance company about which location may be best and most affordable for you.
Infusion and serious allergic reactions due to Entyvio can happen while you are receiving the drug or for several hours after treatment.
- Because of this, your health care provider will watch you closely during and after the Entyvio infusion for side effects to see if you have a reaction to the drug.
- Symptoms of a reaction might include: rash, itching, swelling of your lips, tongue throat or face, shortness of breath or trouble breathing, wheezing, dizziness, feeling hot, or palpitations (racing heart beat).
- If you experience these symptoms after leaving the clinic, call 911 or have someone take you to the emergency room.
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Entyvio (vedolizumab) prescribing information. Deerfield, IL; March 2020. https://www.entyvio.com/vedolizumab-infusion
Related Medical Questions
- Does Entyvio cause weight gain?
- Will I lose weight with Entyvio?
- How long does it take Entyvio to start working?
- Entyvio Information for Consumers
- Entyvio Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Entyvio (detailed)