Methyldopa and Alcohol/Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with methyldopa.
methyldopa Alcohol (Ethanol)
Moderate Drug Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
MONITOR: Many psychotherapeutic and CNS-active agents (e.g., anxiolytics, sedatives, hypnotics, antidepressants, antipsychotics, opioids, alcohol, muscle relaxants) exhibit hypotensive effects, especially during initiation of therapy and dose escalation. Coadministration with antihypertensives and other hypotensive agents, in particular vasodilators and alpha-blockers, may result in additive effects on blood pressure and orthostasis.
MANAGEMENT: Caution and close monitoring for development of hypotension is advised during coadministration of these agents. Some authorities recommend avoiding alcohol in patients receiving vasodilating antihypertensive drugs. Patients should be advised to avoid rising abruptly from a sitting or recumbent position and to notify their physician if they experience dizziness, lightheadedness, syncope, orthostasis, or tachycardia.
- Sternbach H "Fluoxetine-associated potentiation of calcium-channel blockers." J Clin Psychopharmacol 11 (1991): 390-1
- Shook TL, Kirshenbaum JM, Hundley RF, Shorey JM, Lamas GA "Ethanol intoxication complicating intravenous nitroglycerin therapy." Ann Intern Med 101 (1984): 498-9
- Feder R "Bradycardia and syncope induced by fluoxetine." J Clin Psychiatry 52 (1991): 139
- Ellison JM, Milofsky JE, Ely E "Fluoxetine-induced bradycardia and syncope in two patients." J Clin Psychiatry 51 (1990): 385-6
- Rodriguez de la Torre B, Dreher J, Malevany I, et al. "Serum levels and cardiovascular effects of tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in depressed patients." Ther Drug Monit 23 (2001): 435-40
- Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
- Pacher P, Kecskemeti V "Cardiovascular side effects of new antidepressants and antipsychotics: new drugs, old concerns?" Curr Pharm Des 10 (2004): 2463-75
- Andrews C, Pinner G "Postural hypotension induced by paroxetine." BMJ 316 (1998): 595
methyldopa multivitamins with minerals
Moderate Drug Interaction
Methyldopa and multivitamin with minerals should not be taken orally at the same time. Products that contain iron may interfere with the absorption of methyldopa and reduce its effectiveness. You should separate the dosing of these medications by as much as possible. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.
Methyldopa drug interactions
There are 289 drug interactions with methyldopa.
Methyldopa disease interactions
There are 8 disease interactions with methyldopa which include:
- liver disease
- cerebrovascular disease
- hemolytic anemia
- peripheral edema
More about methyldopa
- methyldopa consumer information
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (13)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: antiadrenergic agents, centrally acting
- En español
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No interaction information available.|
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.