Generic name: tedizolid phosphate 200mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated; lyophilized powder for injection
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
The recommended dosage of SIVEXTRO is 200 mg administered once daily for six (6) days either orally (with or without food) or as an intravenous (IV) infusion in patients 18 years of age or older.
The recommended dosage and administration is described in Table 1.
|Infection||Route||Dosage||Frequency||Infusion Time||Duration of Treatment|
|Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure Infection (ABSSSI)||Intravenous||200 mg||Once daily||1 hour||6 days|
|Oral||200 mg||Once daily||Not Applicable|
No dose adjustment is necessary when changing from intravenous to oral SIVEXTRO.
If patients miss a dose, they should take it as soon as possible anytime up to 8 hours prior to their next scheduled dose. If less than 8 hours remain before the next dose, wait until their next scheduled dose.
Preparation and Administration of Intravenous Solution
SIVEXTRO is supplied as a sterile, lyophilized powder for injection in single-use vials of 200 mg. Each 200 mg vial must be reconstituted with Sterile Water for Injection and subsequently diluted only with 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP.
SIVEXTRO vials contain no antimicrobial preservatives and are intended for single use only.
The contents of the vial should be reconstituted using aseptic technique as follows:
Note: To minimize foaming, AVOID vigorous agitation or shaking of the vial during or after reconstitution.
- Reconstitute the SIVEXTRO vial with 4 mL of Sterile Water for Injection.
- Gently swirl the contents and let the vial stand until the cake has completely dissolved and any foam disperses.
- Inspect the vial to ensure the solution contains no particulate matter and no cake or powder remains attached to the sides of the vial. If necessary, invert the vial to dissolve any remaining powder and swirl gently to prevent foaming. The reconstituted solution is clear and colorless to pale-yellow in color; the total storage time should not exceed 24 hours at either room temperature or under refrigeration at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F).
- Tilt the upright vial and insert a syringe with appropriately sized needle into the bottom corner of the vial and remove 4 mL of the reconstituted solution. Do not invert the vial during extraction.
- The reconstituted solution must be further diluted in 250 mL of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP. Slowly inject the 4 mL of reconstituted solution into a 250 mL bag of 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP. Invert the bag gently to mix. Do NOT shake the bag as this may cause foaming.
Administer as an intravenous infusion only.
Do not administer as an intravenous push or bolus. Do not mix SIVEXTRO with other drugs when administering. It is not intended for intra-arterial, intramuscular, intrathecal, intraperitoneal, or subcutaneous administration.
The intravenous bag containing the reconstituted and diluted intravenous solution should be inspected visually for particulate matter prior to administration. Discard if visible particles are observed. The resulting solution is clear and colorless to pale-yellow in color.
After reconstitution and dilution, SIVEXTRO is to be administered via intravenous infusion using a total time of 1 hour.
The total time from reconstitution to administration should not exceed 24 hours at room temperature or under refrigeration at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F).
SIVEXTRO for injection is incompatible with any solution containing divalent cations (e.g., Ca2+, Mg2+), including Lactated Ringer's Injection and Hartmann's Solution.
Limited data are available on the compatibility of SIVEXTRO for injection with other intravenous substances, additives or other medications and they should not be added to SIVEXTRO single-use vials or infused simultaneously. If the same intravenous line is used for sequential infusion of several different drugs, the line should be flushed before and after infusion of SIVEXTRO with 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP.
More about Sivextro (tedizolid)
- Sivextro tablets
- Sivextro oral/injection
- Sivextro (Advanced Reading)
- Sivextro Intravenous (Advanced Reading)