Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength (famotidine) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength (famotidine):
H2 Antagonists (Includes Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength) ↔ Gi Bleeding
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
Applies to: Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
Histamine H2 receptor antagonists should not be used in the presence of vomit with blood, or bloody or black stools. These might be serious conditions and the diagnosis needs to be ruled out.
Famotidine (Includes Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength) ↔ Renal Dysfunction
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Renal Dysfunction
Famotidine is partially eliminated by the kidney as unchanged drug, the extent of which is dependent upon the route of administration (25% to 30% oral; 65% to 70% intravenous). The elimination half-life of famotidine may be prolonged considerably in patients with severe renal impairment (CrCl < 10 mL/min), possibly exceeding 20 hours and approaching approximately 24 hours in anuric patients. Since central nervous system adverse effects such as grand mal seizures and psychic disturbances have been reported in patients with moderate (CrCl < 50 mL/min) and severe renal impairment, dosage adjustments are recommended for these patients. Reducing the normally recommended dosage by one-half or prolonging the dosing interval to 36 to 48 hours may be appropriate, depending on the patient's clinical response.
- Halstenson CE, Abraham PA, Opsahl JA, Chremos AN, Keane WF, Matzke GR "Disposition of famotidine in renal insufficiency." J Clin Pharmacol 27 (1987): 782-7
- Gladziwa U, Klotz U "Pharmacokinetic optimisation of the treatment of peptic ulcer in patients with renal failure." Clin Pharmacokinet 27 (1994): 393-408
- Kroemer H, Klotz U "Pharmacokinetics of famotidine in man." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 25 (1987): 458-63
- Takabatake T, Ohta H, Maekawa M, Yamamoto Y, Ishida Y, Hara H, Nakamura S, Ushiogi Y, Kawabata M, Hashimoto N, et al "Pharmacokinetics of famotidine, a new H2-receptor antagonist, in relation to renal function." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 28 (1985): 327-31
- "Product Information. Pepcid (famotidine)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- Hachisu T, Yokoyama T, Oda Y, Ando K, Hattori Y, Yoshida T "Optimal therapeutic regimen of famotidine based on plasma concentrations in patients with chronic renal failure." Clin Ther 10 (1988): 656-63
- Gladziwa U, Klotz U, Krishna DR, Schmitt H, Glockner WM, Mann H "Pharmacokinetics and dynamics of famotidine in patients with renal failure." Br J Clin Pharmacol 26 (1988): 315-21
Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength (famotidine) drug Interactions
There are 379 drug interactions with Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength (famotidine)
Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength (famotidine) alcohol/food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Heartburn Relief Maximum Strength (famotidine)
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2018 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.