Acid Controller Original Strength (famotidine) Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with Acid Controller Original Strength (famotidine):
H2 Antagonists (Includes Acid Controller Original Strength) ↔ Gi Bleeding
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
Applies to: Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
Histamine H2 receptor antagonists should not be used in the presence of vomit with blood, or bloody or black stools. These might be serious conditions and the diagnosis needs to be ruled out.
Famotidine (Includes Acid Controller Original Strength) ↔ Renal Dysfunction
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Renal Dysfunction
Famotidine is partially eliminated by the kidney as unchanged drug, the extent of which is dependent upon the route of administration (25% to 30% oral; 65% to 70% intravenous). The elimination half-life of famotidine may be prolonged considerably in patients with severe renal impairment (CrCl < 10 mL/min), possibly exceeding 20 hours and approaching approximately 24 hours in anuric patients. Since central nervous system adverse effects such as grand mal seizures and psychic disturbances have been reported in patients with moderate (CrCl < 50 mL/min) and severe renal impairment, dosage adjustments are recommended for these patients. Reducing the normally recommended dosage by one-half or prolonging the dosing interval to 36 to 48 hours may be appropriate, depending on the patient's clinical response.
- Halstenson CE, Abraham PA, Opsahl JA, Chremos AN, Keane WF, Matzke GR "Disposition of famotidine in renal insufficiency." J Clin Pharmacol 27 (1987): 782-7
- Gladziwa U, Klotz U "Pharmacokinetic optimisation of the treatment of peptic ulcer in patients with renal failure." Clin Pharmacokinet 27 (1994): 393-408
- Kroemer H, Klotz U "Pharmacokinetics of famotidine in man." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 25 (1987): 458-63
- Takabatake T, Ohta H, Maekawa M, Yamamoto Y, Ishida Y, Hara H, Nakamura S, Ushiogi Y, Kawabata M, Hashimoto N, et al "Pharmacokinetics of famotidine, a new H2-receptor antagonist, in relation to renal function." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 28 (1985): 327-31
- "Product Information. Pepcid (famotidine)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- Gladziwa U, Klotz U, Krishna DR, Schmitt H, Glockner WM, Mann H "Pharmacokinetics and dynamics of famotidine in patients with renal failure." Br J Clin Pharmacol 26 (1988): 315-21
- Hachisu T, Yokoyama T, Oda Y, Ando K, Hattori Y, Yoshida T "Optimal therapeutic regimen of famotidine based on plasma concentrations in patients with chronic renal failure." Clin Ther 10 (1988): 656-63
Acid Controller Original Strength (famotidine) drug Interactions
There are 166 drug interactions with Acid Controller Original Strength (famotidine)
Acid Controller Original Strength (famotidine) alcohol/food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food interaction with Acid Controller Original Strength (famotidine)
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.